Start by marking “Exodus (Exodus Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Exodus (Exodus Trilogy, #1)

Exodus

(Exodus Trilogy #1)

When mankind faces extinction, can anyone survive?

In 2072, Earth faces the ultimate extinction event. In an America turned authoritarian, a desperate race against time begins. To send a starship to a distant planet, where the remains of humanity can survive.

However, while the government wants to recreate the society it has engineered, there are thos
Published December 3rd 2012 (first published November 30th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Exodus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exodus

Start your review of Exodus (Exodus Trilogy, #1)
Carmen
Apr 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No One
"If...If this information spreads, there will be panic and riots. Panic and riots, you understand, right? The perfect conditions for terrorists and other destructive elements. We must keep this a secret for as long as possible. That will give us some time to come up with a plan for how to deal with all this."

BOOK #7 in Carmen-Downloads-20-Free-Ebooks-Onto-Her-Kindle-Day. More widely known as March 3rd, 2015.

America has become a dictatorship, with President Andrews at the helm. Citizens are trac/>BOOK
Michael Brookes
May 13, 2014 rated it liked it
This is the first book in the author's Exodus trilogy and overall I enjoyed it, but it suffers from a few issues that hold it back from being a stand out novel.

First off we have the setting. I liked the basic premise of the how the extinction would occur and the need to find somewhere else for humanity to live. The world state is also interesting with a plausible dystopian future. This created a grim backdrop to the story while also adding a ray of hope for the future and with a new
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Exodus by Andreas Christensen is what some might term a ‘hard’ science fiction read. Devoid of dramatics, the story is established swiftly, proceeds without faltering, and wraps up with an ending clearly meant to make the reader want to continue with the second book. It thankfully manages this ending without making it a cliffhanger, which earns it serious points.

It is inevitable that anyone who has read Kim Stanley Robinson’s Aurora (my review) will draw comparisons between the two n
Ron
Nov 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
Forced myself to read the entire first chapter, but knew in the first two pages that this “hard” science fiction wasn’t (even though we hadn’t gotten to any SF yet). Suspect the author has no idea what a scramjet is. Flares, not chaff, are used against heat-seeking missiles. The President of the United States would not hire a new National Security Adviser without a single face-to-face interview.

Amateur writing: “… to watch the ballgame that would be coming on in a few minutes.” Data dumps. Play
Richard Abbott
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Exodus is set in a near-future earth in which today’s threat of global terrorism has pushed America into virtual dictatorship. Although still nominally democratic, personal freedom has been almost entirely sacrificed to military and economic interests. But this is simply the stage for the book’s real plot – securing an escape route to another solar system for a small group to avoid the consequences of a late-detected asteroid strike. Like so many stories these days, Exodus is part of a trilogy, ...more
Beau
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Here is an example of colonization sci-fi.

It seemed like the author could have gotten through this book without any characters. There was no blood flow. I wanted to shout, "clear" and fire the defibrillator.

And, it wasn't as if there was a whole lot of science. The choice of a destination, and the scientific / technological advances required to reach it was pretty good. I won't say what they are, but it seemed plausible.

But what it was, was a lot of politics. Libertarians vs fascists, it lo
Idan Carmeli
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One thing I love about my Kindle is the gems I find through its online library. I stumbled on this book while browsing idly in search of a modern deep space story, and I've enjoyed it a lot.
It's written in contemporary style and has overall good pace, and of course the main premise is compelling, even though the science of it feels a bit weak at parts.
Interestingly, while reading it I had the deep displeasure of watching the movie Melancholia, which is also about a star crashing apoc
Martin Clark
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent read

Exodus kept me interested through out the entire book. I'm a sucker for a good end of the world story and Exodus did not disappoint. My only real criticism would be that it moves along too fast. The chapters are very short and sometimes with too little detail. However, that will not stop me from reading the sequel, Aroura.
Allen
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Exodus takes place 60 years in the future. Science and technology have advanced significantly and America has drifted steadily toward corporate interest dominated fascism. The author seems to have taken great care to create a world that is believable and very familiar.

There is a generous cast of characters from many walks of life. Introduction to them was brief and superficial, the character development in this book wasn't particularly deep but as the first book in a series most of t
R. James
Exodus is a dystopian novel about the decisions made when a killer asteroid enters the Solar System and threatens all life on planet Earth. While not as heavy handed as such a topic could have made it, the story does give us a glimpse of the state of mind that might ensnare us all if we were faced with such a pending catastrophe.

The author, Andreas Christensen, didn't need to overwhelm the reader with heaps of technical jargon to tell his story, and the story flows better because of
Brian Borgford
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the story and found it engaging. I found it jumped ahead too fast and could have spent more time covering some of the missed years – this might have added another book to the series and then you couldn’t call it a trilogy, could you.

Although Exodus ends by hooking the reader to the next volume, I found it satisfying enough to that point and I don’t feel the craving to move to the next book, although I probably will. I am more interested in the novella that covers the alternat
Randy
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A rogue planet enters the solar system and obliterates Mars, then takes aim at Earth. Given only a few years to prepare, a star ship is constructed to carry a selected group of people to a distant planet. Taking over a hundred years, the ship ("Exodus") arrives at Aurora. After the ship leaves, a large part of the rogue planet strikes Earth and virtually destroys most life.

A second part of this story is that the United States has become a single-party country where big business and g
Anissa
This was quite good (3.5 stars) as a set up for the series & I must admit that I was far more interested in the actual planning of the Exodus & journey to Aurora from the technical to the societal & political than I was in any one character in particular. I'm usually much more about the characters but I felt the writer handled the other aspects so well that I craved more of that. I can only imagine that the characters are more deeply drawn & important in subsequent books as the E ...more
Pat
Nov 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
In many ways, this book reminded me of early and pulp SF. There was a good amount of technical detail, but not too much. The main premise is plausible. Mr. Christensen's writing style is easy to read and moves quickly. But the characters are barely there. I enjoy books where the characters seem real and I become involved in their story. Exodus has a few characters that have promise, but they are not developed. Perhaps later volumes in the trilogy will provide more depth.
I received a compli
Kate
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyable - albeit too short - science fiction tale in which a slightly future America has to deal with the knowledge that a rogue planet is about to crash into Earth and destroy not only all life but, more importantly, the authoritarian state that the US has become. Approximately 1600 people are selected to leave Earth on the starship Exodus with the intention of settling on the distant but hopefully habitable Aurora and giving humanity a future. However, not all of the men and women ...more
NormaCenva
A very interesting trilogy beginning. Hoping that the next two books will be even better, so am reserving higher ratings for books 2 and 3 respectively.
The story itself reminded me of a write up rendition of one of the Documentary Channel movies - Evacuate Earth. Story has a lot of similarities with the materiel explored in the above mentioned documentary, but with many twists and turns. it was nice to read believable fiction, where it is visible that research had been done by the author.
Bridgette
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like science fiction, books about space, even dystopia this is a great choice. I wasn't disappointed, there was information and technical "spacey" terms and descriptions but not too much to be unreadable or to read. Something about space travel always interests me and I simply can't get enough. And to know there is a sequel awaiting me is just awesome!
Michael Healy
Sep 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Good read but something is missing

A lot of story left untold. Some of the characters seemed interesting but by the end of the book their story had not been resolved. I understand this is the first book of the series. I will read the next and hope that some of those stories are completed.
Jolene Nelson
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
I love dystopian novels but this one, despite having a plausible premise, falls short. The wordiness and repetitious nature left me bored and frustrated simultaneously. I believe with judicious editing this could be an excellent story but for now it is only a mediocre attempt.
kenneth  h.  robinson
Thoughtful fiction with roots in our time AND a possible future

I much appreciated the mixture of humanity - the rich, powerful, and intelligentsia as well "common folk." Impending disaster leads to great accomplishments.
Paul
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining and well written adventure SF. Reminiscent of the novel Coyote by Allen Steele.
Jazzerjay
A great classic sci-fi adventure that surely is the beginning to a great trilogy. Looking forward to the next one in the series.
Nelson
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Personally, I can only say good things. The book seems to have been very well thought out, especially all the aspects concerning human nature and the sciences if such an event happened. Is it an original idea, no, but it's a good read for sure.
Staci Fernandes
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really good book

This was an interesting book. Very interesting subject. Who hasn't thought about life on a new planet? I definitely want to read the next book in the series.
Eldri
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was great.Set in a near future where a meteor threatens Earth.The government makes a project to save humanty.In overall it was great.The style of writing was good and the sci-fi was fantastic. Some terms were a little difficult to understand.Anyway I liked and I recommend it.
Bert
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Disappointingly boring. Great idea. Poor execution. Conflict only hinted at. Seems to be setting up the next book, but I’m not interested enough to continue.
Chris Riddick
Feb 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Overall a good first book in a planned series about a future in which Earth must find a way to preserve the species. Character development was a bit shallow, leaving me somewhat disconnected with the key participants in the story. I'm hoping the next book will flesh out their personalities and motivations. This is my first read by this author, and I thought he did a good job of staying technically believable. There are many elements of the storyline that were left to the imagination on how they ...more
Rohit Kilpadi
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Interesting concept, well written. Can't wait to read the rest of the series by Andreas Christensen

(view spoiler) ...more
Michelle Louise
Aug 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Stilted writing, bad formatting, and bland characters... Not a good mix

Science fiction is a long time love of mine. I cut my teeth on Heinlein, Asimov, and McCaffrey. All of them know how to hook the reader, engage them early and never let them go... This book fails in that. From the heavy handed attempt at diversity to the outsider getting into politics to the overly long run on paragraphs this book bored me. I tried to pick it up multiple times and each time I'd read a few pages and give
Joe Vella
Aug 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Solid

I found the details and description of the technology as accurate as one could imagine. I thought the conflict between which version of democracy will be best for humans lacking.
That so few were selected as the best idea for the journey did not feel believable.
To be fair this is a very well written account of how science and politics could occur. Is reads much like a journal.
Science Fiction: Exodus 2 9 Feb 06, 2017 09:20AM

• Lunar Discovery: Let the Space Race Begin (Discovery Series Book 1)
  • Fall to Earth (Pillars of Fire and Light, #1)
  • Emergence (Dark Tide #1)
  • AMP Messenger (AMP, #1)
  • Peace Force (Harriet Walsh, #1)
  • Daybreak
  • Breaking Gravity
  • Transmission (The Invasion Chronicles, #1)
  • Clouds of Venus (Free Space trilogy, #1)
  • Saving Mars Series Books 1-2
  • Spinward Fringe Broadcast 0: Origins (First Light Chronicles, #1-3; Spinward Fringe, #0)
  • Quantum Tangle (Sethran Kada, #1)
  • Archangel Down (Archangel Project, #1)
  • Avogadro Corp (Singularity #1)
  • Starshine (Aurora Rising #1; Amaranthe #1)
  • The Tetradome Run
  • Anti Life (Anti Life #1)
  • The Fall (Burning Skies, #1)
Andreas Christensen is a Norwegian science fiction and fantasy author. His most recently published work is Legion Rising, the second installment of his Legionnaire Series.

His popular series the Exodus Trilogy received rave reviews in both the U.S. and the U.K. and has been compared to classics such as Heinlein and Asimov. The Rift Saga is set approximately two centuries after the event

Exodus Trilogy (3 books)
  • Aurora (Exodus Trilogy, #2)
  • Genesis (Exodus Trilogy, #3)
“The fuel indicator was almost in the red, and Air Force pilot Tina Hammer worried that she would have to eject from her scramjet.” 0 likes
“He could think of no one he admired as much as the pioneer himself, William James. The stream of consciousness, the theories on choice and the will, the James-Lange theory of emotions—all important and groundbreaking.” 0 likes