Start by marking “Found (The Missing, #1)” as Want to Read:
Found (The Missing, #1)

Found

(The Missing #1)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  37,267 ratings  ·  3,854 reviews
Thirteen-year-old Jonah has always known that he was adopted, and he's never thought it was any big deal. Then he and a new friend, Chip, who's also adopted, begin receiving mysterious letters. The first one says, "You are one of the missing." The second one says, "Beware! They're coming back to get you."

Jonah, Chip, and Jonah's sister, Katherine, are plunged into a myster
Published April 22nd 2008 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Found, please sign up.
Beth I'm pretty sure it isn't a stock image. I think that If you put Rebecca's and Sarah's answer together, then you would have my answer!
…more
(less)
Asteropê Shadow Children was started 1998. Missing was started 2008. I haven't read both, so I don't know if they're a linked series. But if you want to read b…moreShadow Children was started 1998. Missing was started 2008. I haven't read both, so I don't know if they're a linked series. But if you want to read by publication order, then I guess Shadow Children would be first, as it was written before the Missing series. She started Missing after she ended Shadow Children. (less)

·  37,267 ratings  ·  3,854 reviews

Start your review of Found (The Missing, #1)
Becky
Aug 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Haddix, Margaret Peterson. 2008. The Missing Book 1: Found.

I may be a bit biased--slightly--since I love, love, love Margaret Peterson Haddix. My expectations were high with this her first book in a new series. And I was NOT disappointed. I was WOWed. I'm not foolish enough to think that this one will WOW every single kid, teen, or adult out there. But for those that love science fiction and mysteries...this one is for you.

Here's the opening of the prologue: "It wasn't there. Then it was. Later,
Betsy
Sep 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Tina ➹ the girl who lives in Fandoms
3.5 Silver Stars

it has a great mysterious plot, interesting concept,
good thrilling start
it was so intriguing I finished it less than 24 hours.
& made me curious all the way to see what will happen to the characters & why
but it was a middle grade (Not regardless of age because the characters acted childish sometimes & at some points the whole plot wasn't attracting me enough)
so yeah 3 is good
Denise Johnson
Jun 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Anne
Aug 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: YA SF fans with low expectations
Recommended to Anne by: my sister
Per the summary: When thirteen-year-old friends Jonah and Chip, who re both adopted, find out that they were discovered on a plane that appeared out of nowhere, full of babies, with no adults on board, they realize that they have uncovered a mystery involving time travel and two opposing forces, each trying to capture them.

The first two-thirds of the book were okay - a little dragged out and sometimes frustrating - but the last third of the book, which reveals the time travelers and their intent
Michelle
Feb 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Both of my girls are adoped and so I had a connection to this story that was unexpected. Imagine having your adopted child receive a letter that tells them "You are one of the missing" That would freak me out! Well, that is what actually happens in this book. I really enjoyed this book. It was an action packed book.
Marley
Sep 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Sesana
Mar 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in the Missing series. I've heard really, really good things about this book, and they're all true. I almost read it in one sitting, not bad for a 300 page book. A plane mysteriously appears at an airport, carrying only 36 babies. No pilot, no crew, no adults at all. As soon as the babies are unloaded, the plane vanishes again. Thirteen years later, Jonah (adopted) and his new friend Chris (also adopted, though he doesn't know it at the beginning of the story) start gettin ...more
Susan
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great adventure!
Tyler S.
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was way better than I remembered reading it a long time ago. The beginning seemed pretty boring but in the middle all the action and conspiracy happened and it good good again. I liked the book but I did not absolutely love it. I will probably read the series because I wonder what happened to the main character and his sister when ____ happened. Overall, I liked the book and people should read this.
Barb Middleton
May 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I was plopped between two 5th graders in the fiction section of S's and W's with my legs crossed booktalking like an auctioneer. Sigh. Joy. My favorite part of my job. These two youngsters were not put-off by my rapid-fire read-this-read-that spiel. I have to tone it down for most as their eyes cross or their whites show. But not these two. They inhaled the book information interrupting me to chuck in their own opinions. So imagine my double joy when one jumps up and says "just a minute," and ru ...more
Sam Bloom
Jun 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Extremely quick-moving read, and really enjoyable. This is the first book of hers I've read (I need to read "Among the Hidden," obviously). A plane appears out of nowhere, full of crying babies... and no one else. No pilots, flight attendants, parents... nobody. What a premise! Then, we fast-forward 13 years and meet Jonah, who keeps getting cryptic letters with no return address. The letters are related to the fact that Jonah is adopted, which is related to that weird airplane from the beginnin ...more
JG (Introverted Reader)
Oct 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to JG (Introverted Reader) by: Donna
It's very hard to summarize this book without giving anything away. Let's see.... Jonah Skidmore was adopted when he was three months old. Just before his thirteenth birthday, he receives a cryptic message in the mail and he starts questioning the little that he knows about his past.

Very, very bare bones there. After getting hooked by the fantastic prologue, I had a little bit of an idea as to where this might be going. I was right to an extent, but mostly I was hugely surprised by the time the
Heather
Dec 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
My sister sent me a copy because she LOVED it. So I read it today and I quite liked it.

As a mother of an adopted son I must say this book made me a tad uncomfortable - what if someone tried to take him back? NNNOOOOOOO!!! But it was interesting to read the characters' emotions as they discussed adoption, learned they were adopted or were the sibling of an adopted child. I think the characters were very well done and the emotions and thoughts were true to life.

This book is a bit science fictiony.
Nolan Mitchell
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Found is a book that starts right off with the drama. It is not a lot, but it is enough to get you wondering and thinking. Throughout the book you are left off with surprises and cliff hangers, that makes you want to keep reading. The main character (Johna) is always doubting himself and can never believe what he is hearing or seeing, but as the book goes on he matures and learns how to stick with his decisions and stops trying to find a logical explanation for everything. Overall Found was a go ...more
Kerri
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liana
Jul 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Magaret Peterson Haddix has always been an enjoyable author for me. Her books have that edge of realism that makes them so believable, and she has that way of slipping in a thought provoking message about society without being pushy. That's why it's hard for me to believe Found is a Haddix book. It feels so lacking when compared to her other novels.

Why is it the character feel so wooden in this novel? It's not like they don't have personality. It's just that they are never more than you expect t
Anne Osterlund
Jan 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Jonah is adopted. Which aside from his parents annoying repetition of their “out-of-the-blue” adoption story, isn’t that dominant a facet of his life. At least not compared to shooting hoops with his friend, Chip, and trying to be cool enough for seventh grade. And shunning his slightly younger sister, Katherine.

But then the letter arrives. “You are one of the missing.”

And the other letter. “Beware! They are coming back for you.”

Followed by the secret lists, intruders, and the phone number from
Tiffany Neal
Sep 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really, really liked this book. The prologue (even though I normally am not a fan of them) was an amazing start to the book that kept me reading to find out what in the world was going to happen next.

I have a lot of students who are huge fans of Margaret Peterson Haddix from reading the Among the Hidden series who will love this book/series.

The only (weak) reason why I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is because I am not completely sure if I'll be picking up the next book any time soon. It's not t
Jessica
Nov 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: youngadult, fantasy
Oh, CURSE YOU, MARGARET PETERSON HADDIX! As with the Shadow Children books, she's giving us another edge of your seat, what the heck will happen next series, and I'm hooked. I bought this book because I was just at a conference with her, and wanted to get something signed . . . and there went the next couple days of my life! An utterly new and intriguing scenario that will keep you guessing, with plenty of twists that you won't see coming!
Kayla Edwards
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing children's series! The mystery is so good, it have many of the teachers at my school hooked on these books. Hey, when a storyline is good and well executed, it doesn't matter how old you are. A good book is a good book! Looking forward to checking out the other installments :)
Victoria Goodbrand
Wow wow wow. Heart stopping action, page turning suspense and things that will keep you up all hours of the night and freak you out. True. But this book is so amazing but a lil crazy which lowered the rating 😂
Kami Sunde
Feb 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Super book- some slow parts in the middle.
Dorian
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book was insane. It was super slow for the majority of it, but it got so action-packed at the end. If you read this and are wondering if its worth it to push through the slow part to get to the end, you definitely should because the explosive ending made it so worth it.

I definitely think this was a little bit of a filler book, but its also super necessary because it really explains what the hell is going on without it feeling like an info dump. This book was super suspenseful, and the
Gus
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kristi
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this on my Kindle and got through it quicker than I thought I would. It was a fun read! It's a YA for middle school age. I found it enjoyable and sometimes laugh out loud funny with the kids carrying on the way they did. I like the attitude that Jonah had about his adoption status and found it refreshing.

I can definitely see reading more from this author and this series. I'd like to know how it eventually ends. I felt the story flowed well and was easy to follow along with. I don't own a
Ellen
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I generally don't like books that deal with time travel because I find the plot to be convoluted and the logic of the time travel rules confusing. But I liked the characters in this one and it was more about figuring out was going on even though it did have a moment of confusing time travel related rules, I ended up enjoying it overall. I'm not sure how I'll like the next one in the series since it deals more with time travel but I'll check it out.

2018 challenge: a book about time travel
Traci Brown
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is definitely written for kids. My two kids that read it really liked it! As for me, I thought it was a creative, interesting plot that really only got started after a couple hundred pages. It was almost like it was an intro to the series, and nothing was resolved at the end. It lacked depth, but it was also entertaining and a quick read.
Sayde S.

• Salsa: Un poema para cocinar / A Cooking Poem
  • Regarding the Fountain: A Tale, in Letters, of Liars and Leaks
  • Night of the Twisters
  • Ruby Holler
  • The Million Dollar Shot (The Million Dollar Series, #1)
  • Winter: Chapters 1 & 2
  • Cindy Ellen: A Wild Western Cinderella
  • On the Horizon
  • The City of Ember (Book of Ember, #1)
  • One World, One Day
  • Lincoln's Last Days: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever
  • Savvy (Savvy, #1)
  • The False Prince (The Ascendance Series, #1)
  • Wanted... Mud Blossom (Blossom Family, #5)
  • Stormbreaker (Alex Rider, #1)
  • Restart
  • A World Without Heroes (Beyonders, #1)
Margaret Peterson Haddix grew up on a farm near Washington Court House, Ohio. She graduated from Miami University (of Ohio) with degrees in English/journalism, English/creative writing and history. Before her first book was published, she worked as a newspaper copy editor in Fort Wayne, Indiana; a newspaper reporter in Indianapolis; and a community college instructor and freelance writer in Danvil ...more

The Missing (8 books)
  • Sent (The Missing, #2)
  • Sabotaged (The Missing, #3)
  • Torn (The Missing, #4)
  • Caught (The Missing, #5)
  • Risked (The Missing, #6)
  • Revealed (The Missing, #7)
  • Redeemed (The Missing, #8)

News & Interviews

“Ah, jeez... She really is a cheerleader.' And it seemed suddenly that this was true- not because she was an airhead or a hottie or a nonjock, but because she could throw herself so wholeheartedly into someone else's cause, because she could care so much and try so hard from the sidelines.” 9 likes
“NINETEEN” 0 likes