Start by marking “Amazing Airplanes” as Want to Read:
Amazing Airplanes

Amazing Airplanes

(Amazing Machines)

Amazing Machines: Amazing Airplanes by Tony Mitton and Ant Parker

Join our wacky animal crew for the flight of a lifetime! From the airport terminal to the flight deck, the zippy text and zappy art take children through how a plane flies, safety rules, in-flight entertainment and air traffic control. This action-packed picture book will delight all children who love things
Published September 1st 2002 by Kingfisher (first published March 18th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Amazing Airplanes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amazing Airplanes

Start your review of Amazing Airplanes
Susan
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kid loves this - and it's a great book to read before going on a trip! ...more
Riven
Apr 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing Aeroplanes is a lovely book written by Tony Mitton and illustrated by Ant parker. I read the book to my reception class as we had just visited Duxford Air Museum. The children really enjoyed the story and the pictures were great for asking children about the things they had learnt at Duxford such as the different parts of the aeroplanes. The book is also a brilliant introduction to rhyming literature as it is set out as a long poem and this could certainly be used as a template for older ...more
Sylvester
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, children-s, squirt
2.5* art
4* story/rhyme

Read this to Squirt for the first time right on the airplane - so he knew exactly what was up. Love the rhythm, which makes it great to read to him. He loves the "This is your Captain speaking." part, and giggles everytime - even when I'm not reading the book.
Kendra
Mason, Cassie, and I are reading books based on the letters of the alphabet each week. Last week was our A week. So I had to read a book about airplanes to them. "Amazing Airplanes" by Tony Mitton and Ant Parker was published in 2002. In this book you join a wacky animal crew for a flight of a lifetime. It takes you to the airport terminal to all the way on how to the plane works.

The illustrations in this book really make the book. My kiddos loved looking at the pictures and seeing what parts of
Linda Brewer
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I liked to read this book to my son who loved all things airplane. This rhyming book also teaches a lot of science in an interesting and creative way. The illustrations are well done and add a lot to the text. This would be a good mentor text for Kindergarten letter A, or for grades K-3 for science, poetry, captions or thought bubbles, and illustrations. It has a guide reading level J and could be used in a science text set as well.
Karin
Children's literature picture book nonfiction
PK-1

This informational book on taking an airplane trip rhymes, making it fun for students to read. The cartoon drawings of animal 'people' reminds me of the Busy Town books by Richard Scarry. Young students would find this book helpful to read before taking an airplane trip in that it helps them know what to expect. I could see using this in a K class when talking about travel or places in our community (airports).
Kayla
Nov 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
My daughter has been fascinated with airplanes of late, so I put a bunch of picture books about airplanes on hold at the library and this is the first one we opened up. It’s a rhyming book that gives a lot of detail about riding on an airplane, from arriving at the airport all the way to baggage claim. I was pleasantly surprised to see that there was even information about the science of flight included.
Karen
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
The illustrations in this book (and the others in the "Amazing Machines" series) kind of remind me of old school Arthur books. Board books with rhyming text about vehicles is pretty much a staple for our 2yo boy. ...more
Elena Maddox
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Love the whole series. Great for toddlers or pre-K. I just wish the books were a bit larger for story time.
Kiersti Baxter
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's more advanced in its description than the usual board book. However, it's still a board book so it's sturdy. ...more
Jenna Mills
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun and informative
Elizabeth Jones
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another in this great series about things that go. Perfect for toddlers and preschoolers.
Marcus
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
interesting to open youngsters minds.
Miss Sarah
A preschool and up guide to getting on and off an airplane. Fun and colorful as well as fast paced.
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
We love this set of books! They are fun to read for ages 2-6 year old.

(D esp loved this book when he was age 3-5 and loved everything about airplanes!)
Kelly Woznik
Jan 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What a great book
Lauren Paletta
May 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
3.5 My son really enjoyed it.
Charity Stewart
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
What did you think of the book? We actually used this book in my classroom for an Illustrations unit. This book does a great job informing students what takes place at an airport, everyone involved to make a flight successful and what all is on the plane (how they load luggage, etc) My students love this book. The pictures are great and give a great visual to what is mentioned in the text.
What resonated with you? They use real life terms but give great detail in the pictures to help with unders
Ramanda Flannery
Sep 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is all about planes. It rhymes and it has a lot of information about planes and how they work. I thought this was a cute little story. It would be a great story to read a child that is getting ready to ride a plane for the first time to let them know what is going to happen!
Charles Norris
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think this book is very good. The illustrations are so colorful and help explain exactly what is happening in the story. This book would be great for a child that has never flown before so they knew how an airplane worked.
Lori
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Great for preschoolers. My 2 year old grandson loves it, especially since he just went on a plane trip....so he had a lot of connections.....and yes, I said connections. We are working on those reading strategies already! :0)
Katie
Lovely description of what a journey on a plane is like. Also the simpliest description of how areoplances actually fly! Covers a lot of ground.

The rhyme didn't work the whole way through but perhaps that is because I was reading it in a bit of a rush.
Dolly
Nov 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: aviation, childrens, 2008
Simple story that describes a trip on an airplane. Similar to Byron Barton's book, "Airport," with the description of the plane and the process of going on a flight. ...more
Alfajirikali
Nov 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great illustrations and text.
Kaye
Sep 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Fun facts about airplanes with good graphics.
Nancy Jo Lambert
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-alouds
We love all the Amazing machines books! These wonderfully illustrated and fun rhyming text books are great to share with young children!
Mandy
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
We love all the Tony Mitton and Ant Parker books in this house! Cool Cars, Rockets, construction, fire trucks, boats, we love them all :)
Jem
May 22, 2012 rated it liked it
I don't know about "amazing"--that might be a bit hyperbolic. I'd title this "pretty interesting Airplanes." Who knows, maybe I'll change my tune in a month when I'm on my way to San Francisco! ...more
Sharon
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dan, tom
Purchased this one for our trip to Atlanta. The boys had fun recognizing various objects while we were in the airport and the plane.
Katie

• The Digger and the Flower
  • Sleep Train
  • Corduroy Takes a Bow
  • Good Night, Little Blue Truck
  • Dr. Seuss's ABC: An Amazing Alphabet Book!
  • A Big Mooncake for Little Star
  • Oh, the Thinks You Can Think!
  • Little Blue Truck Leads the Way
  • Stuck
  • Creepy Crawly Collection (National Geographic Readers)
  • Little Blue Truck
  • Llama Llama Red Pajama
  • Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • Bear Snores On
  • Mermaid School
  • Eating the Alphabet
  • The Foot Book: Dr. Seuss's Wacky Book of Opposites

Amazing Machines (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Awesome Ambulances
  • Big Bulldozers (Amazing Machines)
  • Busy Boats
  • Brilliant Boats (Amazing Machines)
  • Cool Cars