Start by marking “The Snow Goose” as Want to Read:
The Snow Goose

The Snow Goose

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  2,555 Ratings  ·  315 Reviews
A modern classic, "The Snow Goose" is set in the years running up to the remarkable rescue of the British army stranded on the beaches of Dunkirk during World War II. On the desolate marshes along the English coast, a young girl, Frith, comes to seekhelp from Philip Rhayader, a reclusive painter who lives in an abandoned lighthouse. She carries in her arms a wounded snow g ...more
Published September 11th 2007 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 1941)

To ask other readers questions about The Snow Goose, please sign up.

diane marchetti Same as they did after it was written by Gallico. I've loved all his books I've read.

Elina
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Από την κατηγορία με τα διδακτικά παραμύθια - ιστορίες που μπορεί να διαβαστεί από ένα παιδάκι 10 ετών μέχρι και 100!!! Λατρεύω αυτού του είδους τα βιβλία....με συγκινούν πολύ...
Sam Quixote
A hunchback artist called Rhayader moves to a lighthouse to paint the coast and the birds. He lives a lonely existence because of his appearance. The nearby village begins circulating rumours that the hunchback is magical and an ignorant girl called Frith takes a damaged snow goose to him to heal which he does with basic medicine (splints, bandages, etc.). The two bond over the snow goose which returns each year to visit until eventually it settles down to live with Rhayader all year round. Then ...more
Kay
Aug 01, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lyrical and touching tale set in WWII, with the climax taking place during Dunkirk. While there's a danger here of crossing over into sentimentality, for me this lovely tale transformed what could have been pat sentiments into something very heartfelt and noble. It's the kind of tale children will remember and adults will cherish. Really a tribute to the human spirit and the bonds that hold us together.

The fact that this was published in April 1941, at a time of massive German air raids on Lond
From BBC Radio 4 - Classical Serial - Neglected Classics:

A wounded bird brings together a disfigured artist and a young girl
and helps in a courageous act of bravery in World War II.

Philip Rhayader ..... Steven Mackintosh

Director ..... Sally Avens

Steven Mackintosh stars in Paul Galli
Rachel Heffington
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have embarked on the helter-skelter habit of choosing books at random and reading them. I bought a 1960's copy of The Snow Goose at a library sale because it looked interesting and I had never heard of it...and I'm a sucker for new literary fare.
I had no expectations of what it might be, so the fact that this slender little volume contained a heart-warming if slightly predictable story made it precious to me. Yes, The Snow Goose crosses the line of sense vs. sentimentality, but no more than Ol
Bettie☯
May 24, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Radio 4 listeners
Maddie
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Nana lent me this short story to read, her father passed at Dunkirk so it holds a lot of meaning for her. I found the story wonderful. So great that I was planning out how I'd create a storyboard of it in my head (which I've only done once before).

I'm still debating on whether I want to draw this story out. I know it's a short story and all, but drawing out each panel would take forever. I think I could condense it enough though. It's definitely been added to my list of drawing inspirations.
Kate Forsyth
The Snow Goose is set in the years running up to the evacuation of Dunkirk in the Second World War. Originally published in 1940 in the Saturday Evening Post, it was brought out in book form the following year by Knopf, Michael Joseph and M&S simultaneously. It won the prestigious O Henry prize that same year and has been continually in print ever since. The Snow Goose has inspired a number of musical scores and albums, has been made into two feature films and moved generations of readers. A ...more
Melee
Dec 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book for school and had to write a few paragraphs on it (or something like that). Those aforementioned paragraphs have been sitting on my computer for the past two years and if my memory serves me correctly no one ever actually read them. (I was going to give them to my teacher {AKA mother} but for some reason never got around to it.) I thought I'd post them on here so they didn't go to waste completely.

The message of The Snow Goose is clearly, never fall in love with brave disabled
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
A man so repulsive that he had to seek solitude, yet so beautiful that a bird from a faraway place and a young girl found themselves inexplicably drawn to him.

I would have loved to quote here some memorable Little Prince-like passages but a prohibition runs in the opposite page of the inside title. So this is the one I shall quote:

"Copyright 1940 by The Curtis Publishing Company. All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced in any form without permission in writing from the publis
Phil Jensen
A beautiful story of love, sacrifice, beauty, the wonders of nature, and the Dunkirk evacuation. My edition was greatly enhanced by gorgeous, slightly impressionistic paintings by Beth Peck. It's short, so if this sounds good to you, go ahead and pick it up.
Bayandur
"The Snow Goose" by Paul Gallico is one of my favorites. It is about life, its hardnesses and wonders, pain and joy coming by its natural route, and war - merciless and unnatural, cruel and indifferent as it is.
This book is really to hard to write about. Very personal to me - the emotional plane is really deep and the characters are well-developed.
The book is about an artist, living in a solitary lighthouse - Philip Rhayader, a local girl - Fritha, their friendship symbolized by the wounded bird
Valerie Petersen
This is a beautiful story of love and bravery. Loneliness, the healing of a lost, wounded Snow Goose, a haunting affaire de coeur and the Dunkirk rescue all somehow combine magically. Beautifuully written!
Tatyana Naumova
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Очередной must read.
Fani *loves angst*
Makes me cry like a baby every time I read it; it's one hell of a book. Amazing writing, vivid imagery, touching story... if only it was longer!
Deanne
Sep 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war
Beautifully written short story with the climax at Dunkirk, difficult to imagine what it must have been like to be stuck on those beaches when that flotilla of boats turned up 60 years ago.
Wanda
Nov 29, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wanda by: Laura
30 NOV 2014 - recomended by Laura. See Laura's review here -- https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Catherine Harris
Such a beautiful and moving story.
Amanda
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really touched by this short tale. Almost feels like a fable.
Leon van den Hoven
The other John
I'm not sure what to call this--a 20th century fable? It's a short tale of Philip Rhayader, a kind and artistic soul with a deformed body. In his twenties, he moves to the English seacoast to live in seclusion, away from the repulsive looks and attitudes of "normal" people. He spends his time painting, sailing his boat and caring for the birds that take up residence in his property. He finds peace in this lifestyle, but one day a young girl from the nearby village brings a injured snow goose to ...more
Damon
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My mom gave this book to me.

Hidden in the sleeve, I found a decaying envelope with a letter enclosed:

"My dearest friend,

Just after you visited me last Easter I heard this story played on the radio. I liked it so much, Paul, it reminded me of the things you had written which you read to me in the park the first afternoon of your visit. When I wrote you about "The Snow Goose" you asked me to write you the story, but I was dismayed to find that some of the details had escaped me. When I heard it w
Abdallah
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was first introduced to this novella through the work of Andrew Latimer's Camel concept album "Music Inspired By The Snow Goose", I've been postponing it for years now, and for some reason I also don't know, I read it but with a little twist, I read the novella with Camel's music as the background and actually it's a pretty perfect combination, the rhythms\solos of Andrew's guitar, the string section and the timing of the album accompanies you through this short journey of sentiment & frie ...more
bjneary
Feb 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all ages picture book
Shelves: picture-book
A modern classic that tells the story of a grotesque looking man, Philip, who isolates himself from human contact at a lighthouse on the English coast. One day, a young girl, Frith, arrives with a wounded snow goose. Philip nurses the goose back to health and the threesome forge a bond with annual visits to the lighthouse. War intrudes and their peace is forever altered. Illustrations by Angela Barrett are perfect in depicting isolation and beauty.
Christina Wainwright
A customer said I had to read this. I'd read a few of Gallico's Mrs. 'Arris books (cozy series with a British char lady) as a kid, so was surprised at the beauty of this slim story about a bird bringing together a hermit & a child, and the intrusion on WWII. My edition was only 57 pages, but this quick read will linger in your thoughts.
Pete Bailey
Dec 24, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: most people
It's a short book and a quick read largely based on a true story. Not to give it away, but there's a guy, a girl, a bird (the snow goose) and the noble effort by average Englishmen to help in the evacuation at Dunkirk in 1940. A very moving read. BTW if you're interested, the British progressive group Camel recorded an album "Music Inspired by THE SNOW GOOSE" in 1974 and it is quite good.
Penny
Jan 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My copy was published in March of 1965. It has no ISBN so I could not find it. This is a story of bravery and sacrifice. The scene is set in Essex, England. The Snow Goose convoys a small boat through the smoke of Dunkirk to help in the rescue of the stranded British fighting men. But there is much more to this story. The book only has 58 pages. Find it, read it, you'll be glad you did.
Jim
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really one of the nicest little novellas that I can remember reading, beautifully written and a little heartbreaking. This is the style of short I really like the best. I try to model mine along these lines (far less successfully, of course). I hadn't read Gallico before, but you can bet I will be trying some of his other stuff. I was really pleased.
Martin
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the books my Uncle Chuck left me. It's a very short story and very sweet, the Hallmark Hall of Fame of short stories. It's so short it's impossible to describe the plot without spoiling it.
Paula
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this many years during an English class when I was 14. I'd finished my set work early and the young substitute teacher handed me a copy of The Snowgoose saying, "I think you'll like this." I devoured it during the lesson and cried at my desk. Just beautiful.
Goodreads Librari...: combine edition 3 18 Jul 13, 2012 10:14PM
  • Look at Me
  • The Parasites
  • The Silent Duchess
  • Diary of a Mad Old Man
  • My Secret War Diary, by Flossie Albright: My History of the Second World War 1939-1945
  • Living
  • The Tale of the Pie and the Patty-Pan
  • The Red Badge of Courage (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Brother Sun, Sister Moon: Saint Francis of Assisi's Canticle of the Creatures
  • The Collaborators
  • Tarka the Otter
  • What the Witch Left
  • Green Mansions
  • The Heat of the Day
92064
Paul William Gallico was born in New York City, on 26th July, 1897. His father was an Italian, and his mother came from Austria; they emigrated to New York in 1895.

He went to school in the public schools of New York, and in 1916 went to Columbia University. He graduated in 1921 with a Bachelor of Science degree, having lost a year and a half due to World War I. He then worked for the National Boar
More about Paul Gallico...

“This is her home now--of her own free will.” 6 likes