Start by marking “The Art and Practice of Loving” as Want to Read:
The Art and Practice of Loving

The Art and Practice of Loving

Practical and inspirational, this exercise-filled volume distills the knowledge of wise men and women from all religious and philosophical traditions to create a compendium of 144 practices to help cultivate a loving heart.
Published July 17th 1992 by Tarcher (first published December 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Art and Practice of Loving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art and Practice of Loving

Start your review of The Art and Practice of Loving
Marshall
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
20 years ago, I suffered from a heartbreak that devastated me. I had trouble eating, and frequently awoke in terror at what I'd lost. I cried endlessly. After weeks of this, I had an epiphany: I needed to teach myself how to love. I realized that love isn't something I can own, or have someone else do to me. Love is an act. It's a behavior. It's something I can do, and I can choose to do it anytime, rather than waiting for that special someone to create love in my life.

So, I stopped crying and
Lauri
Sep 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
I picked up this book in 2005 because I was taking a college course from Frank (the author) at the time. He was one of the most loving and genuine people I've ever met and I really wanted to read what he had to say. The book spent many years on my shelf before I picked it up again, but I am glad I picked it up when I did. It made the perfect companion to Keyes' "Handbook to Higher Consciousness," quotes from Keyes are common throughout Frank's book. It gives more concrete practices and writing ...more
Liz
May 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
One of my absolute favorite books of all time. I will always have this book with me no matter where I am.
El'S Bells
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am very thankful to have found this book. If there is one book out there that I think can help people with genuine self discovery this would be it. This is not a book that you can read through quickly. It is an easy read, but the lessons you internalize take time to flesh out and the results are life altering. If you do all the readings with the practices, you will really see a difference in how you experience life.

I have recommended and given this book to anyone who needs (or knows someone
Shannon
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I believe we are driven by either fear or love so this was a great discovery for me at a thrift store, no less!

Lots of clear examples of what love is and isn't and great ways to become cognizant of how you are withholding, judging, comparing, not only with others but with yourself. This is the kind of book you keep in your bag, by your bed, etc. I really can't imagine how it ended up at a thrift store because it really is a treasure.
V
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A powerful book -- surprisingly very practical/action-based. I highly recommend it.

V
Thankful Reader
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is life changing. I highly recommend it.
Teague
Jun 27, 2019 rated it liked it
The content is good, though I found the presentation to be less accessible than other books with similar content. In this form, it may speak to you more than to me.
xiao yun
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A should be read book for everyone.
Sharon
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most wonderful way to see the world.. this book is a blessing :)
Demario Tucker
Shima Ghaheri
Dec 29, 2018
Lili K
Aug 21, 2009

• Laetitia Rodd and the Case of the Wandering Scholar (A Laetitia Rodd Mystery #2)
  • American Sherlock: Murder, Forensics, and the Birth of American CSI
  • 36 Righteous Men
  • Buddha's Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love, and Wisdom
  • The Saturday Night Ghost Club
  • Things in Jars
  • The Adventure of the Peculiar Protocols: Adapted from the Journals of John H. Watson, M.D.
  • Blood Territory The Death of Jimmy O'Connell
  • Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels, #6)
  • The Descent (Descent, #1)
  • The Carrow Haunt