Start by marking “Little Bear's Little Boat” as Want to Read:
Little Bear's Little Boat

Little Bear's Little Boat

Little Bear loves his little boat. He rows it around Huckleberry Lake, fishing and dreaming. But then Little Bear begins to grow and grow, until one day he doesn’t fit in his little boat anymore! All children who experience growing pains will appreciate Little Bear’s predicament. And they will smile with satisfaction as the solution to his problem unfolds in simple, lyrica ...more
Published May 19th 2003 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Little Bear's Little Boat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Bear's Little Boat

Start your review of Little Bear's Little Boat
Christa
Mar 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I don’t understand why this is about anthropomorphic animals instead of human characters, and I think it’s weird for it to push “destiny” so hard, but my two year old really identifies with the concept of getting bigger and she loves it.
Becky
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: readin2013
Little Bear loves sailing his boat on Huckleberry Lane. He loves, loves, loves his little boat. It is just perfect for him. But, as Little Bear begins to grow--slowly but surely--his little boat loses its just right-ness. Little Bear doesn't understand why it is his destiny to grow and his boat's destiny to stay exactly the same. But he does accept this truth and adds to it. It is the boat's destiny to find a new little bear. And it is equally important to let that new little bear know that he t ...more
Deb
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-alena
Sweet little book about a happy little bear who grows into a big bear and becomes too big for his little boat. I like that he shares the little boat with the next generation and builds himself a bigger boat. It was meant to be and everyone is happy. I'd like to read more by this author, so that's why this is going on my Goodreads.
Megababy
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Mommy says she really loves this book, but I was only ok with it. We read it at the library together, but I did not choose it to bring home with us. She says she hopes I will like it when I am older.
Brittany
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet story and adorable illustrations. Loved it.
Denise
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
A touching story about the wonder and heartache of growing up.
Liam Delahunty
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
One of the greatest simplest stories ever told. My daughter and I loved this book when she was small. And we love it still.

I've seen grown adults reduced to tears as I read this.
Alisia
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Day 8
Children's Book Advent Calendar 2019
Angie
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
"Little Bear loves his little boat. He rows it around Huckleberry Lake, fishing and dreaming. But then Little Bear begins to grow and grow, until one day he doesn’t fit in his little boat anymore! All children who experience growing pains will appreciate Little Bear’s predicament. And they will smile with satisfaction as the solution to his problem unfolds in simple, lyrical words and charming pictures from two award-winning picture-book creators."

My Review: I am so glad I picked up this book f
Becky
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-a-copy
I thought this book was lovely. Very short, but it had a good moral about everything having its 'destiny'.

SPOILER:

It was about a little bear who had a beloved boat, but one day he grew up and couldn't fit it anymore. His mother said the boat's destiny was to stay the same size and the bear's destiny was to grow up. The bear went in search of another bear to own his old boat.

Splendid story, I was very touched by the good message it sends to young children. Not just about everything having its pu
Russell
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully touching tale of sentimentality, growth, and change. Handles the topic of forced movement through life's stages without being preachy about it. Adorable illustrations that really convey the story. (view spoiler) ...more
Barb Middleton
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
As Elmer Fudd would say, bear has a widdo boat. He woves his widdo boat. But den he got bwigger and bwigger until he sunk his boat. Ma says it's his destiny to gwow bwig. He tinks da boat's destiny is to be on da lake. So he finds anodder widdo bear and gives him his boat. No wabbits in dis story, but there should have been, den Elmer could 'ave hunted dem. I am a widdo tired. I been teaching for 165 days or someding like dat. I weally shouldn't write when I feel dis way. Does anyone wead deese ...more
Chak
Jun 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid, favorites
Little Bear's Little Boat is a great book for a 2 to 4 year old. Little Bear grows up and he outgrows his very-much-loved boat and decides to give it to another little bear who is just the right size for it. I love this book because it is simply written and drawn and encourages kids to share. My son loves this book and he also really enjoys giving away his old toys to younger kids. Coincidence?
Margaret Chind
Love this book. It is a perfect read right now for my toddler daughter, now big sister, learning all sorts of tasks about being a big girl. It is her destiny to grow up and another little girl may be blessed by her little girl things and love them as she does.

Typed on Kindle Fire.
Thanks to HMH for providing a copy for review.

Originally posted: http://creativemadnessmama.com/blog/2...
Deana
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is wonderful! It's a board book, but for a slightly older child than board books normally are I think -- full sentences on each page (often more than one), and it tells a lovely story of a little bear who grows up and becomes too large for his favorite toy (a boat). The illustrations remind me a lot of Red Fox and His Canoe, which was a childhood favorite. ...more
Holly
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this author and I love this book. It's about outgrowing toys and outgrowing childhood. It melts me into a sentimental mess.

"You are too big a bear now to fit in that little boat," Mother said. "It is a little bear's destiny to grow and grow till he is a BIG BEAR. It is a little boat's destiny to stay the same size."
Ariel Cummins
Jan 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sweet story about a little bear who loves his boat until he gets a little too big for it. He passes it on to a new little bear, so the boat can continue to fulfill his destiny of sailing on the blue lake.

Gentle, painted images accompany the text with clear colors and slightly minimalist drawings.

A lot of text - maybe too much for story time? And slightly small-format.
Mary
It is Little Bear's destiny to grow into a big bear! Unfortunately, it is not a little boat's destiny to do the same thing. This is a book about letting go of things that you love because you are too big but letting others enjoy what you have loved so much. Everything and everyone has a destiny, and it is not always true that those destinies will coincide. A very profound book for children!
June
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: bear, boat requests
Recommended to June by: Cap Choices
The two boys that were at the beginning of storytime, seemed entranced by this quiet story.

Little bear loves his little boat, but then something happens - he grows. He decides he needs to find another little bear to love the little boat and makes a bigger boat for himself.
Cassie
This gentle tale of a little bear growing up is very heartwarming and reassuring for little ones as they mature and share with those younger than them. Follow this with “Big Bear’s Big Boat” to find another great tale of growing up and following one’s dream.
Abby Drommerhausen
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a great little book that brings up destiny. My little guy, who won't sit still for anything loves this book and begs to read it. There is another follow up book called Big Bears Big Boat, which is a nice addition.
Vicki
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
A sweet story about growing up, yet allowing those who are younger to enjoy the things we loved when we were little. The illustrations are nice and clear.

This book could be used for a storytime related to: bears, boats, water or growing up.
Renee
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Little bear loves spending time in his little boat on the lake but when he gets to big for it, he has to find a new owner to pass it onto.

Families and kids loved this today at Preschool Story Class. Out theme was opposites. (Little/Big)

Danette
Apr 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
For Julia from the library Summer Reading Program.

10/7/17 Read with Julia.
7/20/19 Read with Julia
7/24/19 Read with Julia
1/21/20 Read with Julia
Devin
Helps kids think about giving to others, purpose of life (destiny), what you don't need anymore can be a great blessing for others, etc.
Rebecca Waring-Crane
Aug 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Delightful approach to growing up and become who we're meant to be. I liked reading it aloud for library story time. Grown-ups always smiled and children enjoyed the simple plot.
Angela
Dec 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An endearing coming-of-age story about outgrowing his favorite thing and learning the value of giving it away so someone else can enjoy it.
Gail
Apr 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
The part where the bear falls in the water is good.
Jane
Dec 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Love the spirit of generosity.
Catherine Austen
May 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful. Worth searching for.

• Curious George Goes Camping
  • Pete the Cat: Firefighter Pete
  • Meet the Easter Beagle!
  • My Little Pony: Pinkie Pie Keeps a Secret: Level 1
  • I'm a Unicorn (Little Golden Book)
  • The Nose Book
  • I say OOH You say AAH
  • Snow Dog, Go Dog
  • Town Mouse, Country Mouse
  • Sam, the Most Scaredy-cat Kid in the Whole World
Also known as Evelyn Bolton and A.E. Bunting.

Anne Evelyn Bunting, better known as Eve Bunting, is an author with more than 250 books. Her books are diverse in age groups, from picture books to chapter books, and topic, ranging from Thanksgiving to riots in Los Angeles. Eve Bunting has won several awards for her works.

Bunting went to school in Ireland and grew up with storytelling. In Ireland, “The