Start by marking “The Bible Jesus Read” as Want to Read:
The Bible Jesus Read

The Bible Jesus Read

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  2,182 Ratings  ·  136 Reviews
The Old Testament is God's biography, the story of his passionate encounters with people and also a prequel to the story of Jesus. This book explores the sometimes shocking and cryptic writings in an effort to know God better.
Published September 1st 1999 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published July 13th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Bible Jesus Read, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bible Jesus Read

M Christopher
If you are one of those deprived Christians whose exposure to the Old Testament is severely limited, then this book is a must-read. Likewise if all of your OT knowledge involves an angry God looking for reasons to blast people or damn them for eternity. If, however, you grew up getting a healthy dose of Old Testament accompanied by interpretation that realized that "God So Loved the World" even back before Jesus, then... well, Yancey writes well.

Yancey's book is readable and even entertaining. H
Scott Taylor
Feb 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once in a while, I need to be reminded of things. Reminded that its time to do the taxes. Reminded that the oven is turned on. Reminded that I promised to take out the trash. You get the idea. This book is a reminder of the significance and relevance of Old Testament.

The first chapter is entitled "Is the OT worth the effort?" A question I have related to, particular while slogging my way through sections of some of the histories. The OT is simply packed with information, and in many ways the sto
Nathan Albright
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge2017
This book's title is a bit of a tease, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. Those who are interested in the complex relationship of early Christianity and Second Temple Judaism [1] will know that the Bible Jesus read was the Hebrew Tanakh. However, this book is far about the author's thoughts on the Old Testament than about the relationship between the early Church and the Hebrew scriptures. Fortunately for the reader, the author's thoughts on the Old Testament are generally very thoughtful and ...more
Laurel Hicks
Beautiful!
Coyle
Aug 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is an interesting meditation on the Old Testament (and it is a meditation, not a commentary or a scholarly analysis). Though I don't always agree with Yancey's conclusions, he tends to have an interesting way of stating long-familiar concepts.
One of the most interesting parts of the book are his arguments for why we should read the OT. He argues that the OT is:
1. Necessary to understanding the modern world;
2. Necessary to understanding the New Testment;
3. Necessary for apologetics;
Taija
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-reads
This is an incredibly underwhelming book. The only portion that I like is the chapter on Job. Yancey is one of the best teachers that I have come across on the book of Job so far.

However, his writing style is frustrating, due mainly to the fact that he does not cite a majority of quotes from others. Nor does he mention the credentials of many people he does quote. For example, "Ernst Becker says..." Well who is Becker, and why is his opinion important? Are you quoting someone who has gone to sc
Bee Lubis
Jan 18, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no-indonesia
Wikipedia defies a Christian as "a person who adheres to Christianity, a monotheistic religion centered on the life and teachings of Jesus Christ as presented in the New Testament and interpreted by Christians to have been prophesied in the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament".

I admit my self as a follower of Jesus Christ, but refused to be called as a Christian since people mostly placed Christianity just a religion and sometimes put Christ Himself out of the concept and context.

A friend of mine lent me
Brad
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book draws you in. The title isn't discussed in the context of this being the Bible Jesus read and how He read it, but rather that this was the Bible that was available at the time of Jesus. We often neglect the Old Testament today to our own detriment. The title piqued my interest since I had never really thought about it like that---this being the Bible actually available for Jesus to read (The Old Testament). But this book is presented as maybe a different way of viewing the Old Testamen ...more
Leslie Ferguson
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a thought provoking book. Philip Yancey does a good job encouraging readers who have never entered the conversation with the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament/Hebrew Scripture to not dread the hard books of the Bible.

Yancey paints a picture of the humanity of the Torah, Writings, and Prophets and how those topics discussed in antiquity are not simply history but poignantly relevant in modern times.

I encourage anyone with an interest in the entirety of the Bible who has misgivings of the Old Te
Cornelia
Jun 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Yes yes, Philip Yancey is one of the first Christian authors I did not cringe while reading his books. Why? Because he didn't try to persuade me or something, he just exposed his faith and beliefs through stories, or things that have happened to him. And it made me think and reevaluate my perspective. This book provides a better understanding of Old Testament and its relation with New Testament.
Nicole
Sep 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite Philip Yancey book. He really brings the Old Testament to life for me. I enjoy having his insight, it'sn not a Bible study on the Old Testament. My favorite chapter is the one on Job's life, helping me to grasp what to do with suffering in the world.
Mary A
May 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Philip Yancey book but I certainly don't plan for it to be my last. He makes the Old Testament--The bible Jesus read--come alive! And I think I can actually enjoy and apply books like Deuteronomy, Job and Ecclesiastes.
Mar 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Bible Jesus Read by Philip Yancey clarifies some things that I didn't even know needed clarifying for me.:) God's teaching me a lot about the Old Testament and Himself through it.
A MUST READ.
Ron
Sep 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Helpful look at a first century perspective on Old Testament scriptures.
Angel Sanchez
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wanna own one someday and read it again.
Gary
Provides excellent insight into the relevance of the Old Testament writings; especially Job, Ecclesiastes, and Proverbs.
Kristina Okhman
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hannah Mead
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
This was a book I read as part of my school work this year, and (again :D) I was very pleasantly surprised by it! Yancy takes the reader on a journey as he delves into the Old Testament – shedding light on the Bible that Jesus would’ve read. The Old Testament is the prequel to the story of Jesus, but so often Christians are put off by the sheer size of it, the dense prophecies, or the depressing stories. But Yancy takes the Old Testament and shines a light on the beauty hidden behind those initi ...more
Bobbi Mullins
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed all of Philip Yancey's books (that I've read), and this was no exception. He is so authentic and honest as he incorporates his questions, doubts, and revelations into all he writes. I can relate to him very well. I thought his chapters looking at Job and Ecclesiastes were especially interesting. He apparently never liked the Psalms, and I felt that was apparent even in this book. It was my least favorite chapter. I finished this book on Easter day, which was very appropriate as he ...more
Arvid Birgersson
Jag har läst igenom hela Gamla testamentet en gång. Då jag läste det främst av plikt, blev min uppfattning att det är svårbegripligt och inte så nödvändigt.
Philip Yancey berättar att han hade en liknande bild av Gamla testamentet. Är det ens någon idé att läsa det och försöka förstå?, undrade han. När han väl tvingades att läsa det blev han dock mer och mer förtjust, och idag älskar han det. Orsaken till denna kovändning var att han insåg att det lär om livet med Gud. Inte om hur det bör funger
Robert Collier
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Harvey's Yes!

Philip Yancey always bares his doubts as he explores profound answers to life questions. I love the way he presents truth without trying to arrive at grand cliches! But he brings us to heartfelt answers as he finds them, and where he finds them. He never fails to help me see old questions from a new perspective. He is never smug. He is almost always humble and self deprecating. I'm this book he makes the "Old Testament" come alive. I would recommend this book to any believer who has
K T
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My hardbound copy of this book is full of notations. Philip Yancey challenges and comforts me with his writings. As a believer in Christ this examination of the Old Testament writings confirms my HOPE in a God involved in my life.

My hardbound copy of this book is full of notations. Philip Yancey challenges and comforts me with his writings. As a believer in Christ this examination of the Old Testament confirms my HOPE in a God involved in my life.
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
I really wanted to like this more, having been so intrigued by the concept of thinking about what Jesus would have read as a first century Jew. However it's more just a look at the Old Testament, potentially a great read for someone who is confused about the role the OT has in salvation story but for me I've had loads of great teaching on the OT so didn't need told how great it was.
Daniel
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. If the Old Testament seems daunting, Yancey does a great job trying to make sense of it. In depth looks at Job, Deuteronomy, Psalms, Ecclesiastes, and the minor prophets bring a lot of light to these Bible books. This is the second Philip Yancey book I've read and definitely won't be the last.
Matt Williamson
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yancey is always excellent. I love his ability to bring Jesus to life off of the page. He does that again with this book. This book covers the Old Testament and what it reveals to us about God as well as the original authors and what we can gain from these sections of the Bible.
Marvin Breshears
Fresh look at the Old Testament

Chauncey does a masterful job of examining the Old Testament from a new perspective. Answering some of the more difficult questions people of faith grapple with in their own lives and that others' lives that they encounter.
My rating isn't because this is a bad book. It was just different than I expected. I had hoped it would have more about how Jesus and his disciples looked at and used the O.T. Instead it is more of an "Old Testament survey".
David emery- janzen
A great read .read the old testament books along with each chapter.

Mr.Harvey is a wonderful writer and liver of God. He does a good job of explaining some the Old Testament books. He ends with what is most important Jesus the Christ.
Don Paske
This is probably more than an average read, but frankly, I expected either more or a different approach to reviewing the Old Testament. Breaking down the OT to seven "parts" overlooks too much of it, I think. Still, I really enjoyed the parts of Job and The Prophets.
Erin
This really gave me a new love for the Old Testament. One of the most easy-to-read almost commentary books I've read on the Bible.
  • The Gift of Pain
  • Who Is This Man?: The Unpredictable Impact of the Inescapable Jesus
  • Septuagint with Apocrypha
  • Live Like a Jesus Freak: Spend Today as If It Were Your Last
  • Loving God
  • Know Why You Believe
  • Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus: How the Jewishness of Jesus Can Transform Your Faith
  • But Don't All Religions Lead to God?: Navigating the Multi-Faith Maze
  • The Wisdom of Tenderness: What Happens When God's Fierce Mercy Transforms Our Lives
  • Stink Alley
  • A Biblical History of Israel
  • The 100 Most Important Events in Christian History
  • Freedom of Simplicity: Finding Harmony in a Complex World
  • Living on the Ragged Edge: Finding Joy in a World Gone Mad
  • Cameron Townsend: Good News in Every Language (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Daring to Live on the Edge: The Adventure of Faith and Finances
  • The Bible as It Was
  • Things Unseen: Living in Light of Forever
A native of Atlanta, Georgia, Philip Yancey earned graduate degrees in Communications and English from Wheaton College Graduate School and the University of Chicago. He joined the staff of Campus Life Magazine in 1971, and worked there as Editor and then Publisher. He looks on those years with gratitude, because teenagers are demanding readers, and writing for them taught him a lasting principle: ...more
More about Philip Yancey

• The Second World War
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • A Brief History of Everything
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Invitation
    $12.24 $2.99
  • The World's Religions, Revised and Updated (Plus)
  • Leonardo's Notebooks
  • Leaving Church: A Memoir of Faith
  • Eating on the Wild Side: The Missing Link to Optimum Health
  • Love, Ellen: A Mother/Daughter Journey
    $10.24 $1.99
  • Secret Historian: The Life and Times of Samuel Steward, Professor, Tattoo Artist, and Sexual Renegade
  • Thinkertoys: A Handbook of Creative-Thinking Techniques
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Saving Alex: When I Was Fifteen I Told My Mormon Parents I Was Gay, and That's When My Nightmare Began
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Walden on Wheels: On the Open Road from Debt to Freedom
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Clapton: The Autobiography
    $11.99 $1.99
“Misunderstanding must be nakedly exposed before true understanding can begin to flourish.” 18 likes
“God does not seem impressed by size or power or wealth. Faith is what he wants, and the heroes who emerge are heroes of faith, not strength or wealth.” 13 likes