Start by marking “The Merriam Webster Dictionary” as Want to Read:
The Merriam Webster Dictionary

The Merriam Webster Dictionary

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  394 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
A handy, reliable, and authoritative dictionary of the words most frequently used in English.
- More than 65,000 definitions
- Over 150 illustrations
- Includes a Handbook of Style and quick-reference data tables
Published January 1st 1998 by Merriam-Webster (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Merriam Webster Dictionary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Merriam Webster Dictionary

Marvin
Apr 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tried reading it from cover and cover. Couldn't do it. The plot kept changing.
Rob B
Jul 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
--"I bought a dictionary. First thing I did was, I looked up the word "dictionary", and it said "you're an asshole".

-- "I was in a store and I saw a pocket dictionary and that made me laugh because it's such... a specific item. I don't know that many words and I'm going out... and I have pants. Perfect!"

--Demetri Martin
Mita
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Legit. Always good to learn new words and improve on one's vocabulary.
It's amazing how many words i didn't even know existed!!! I can't even READ some of them! very cool.

Definite Recommend

P.S. totally cheating to use while playing games. like SCRABBLE. UN. Cool. Man.
David
Feb 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so I have to admit... I haven't read the entire thing. But I'm slowly working my way through it. Really, the best part about it is the vocabulary of the author. Damn, that guy Webster sure knows how to pack in a TON of different words.
Ckeyn
This book has a boring plot, dull story and a weird purpose. Weird. But anyways, the narrator has a really good vocabulary, and it kinda makes him a genius. This book is good for pressing leaves dry.
Mason Haymore
it had a lot of words in it, A LOT. it was in alfebitical order. it was interesting too. it was boring too.

i learned what meride means. It was fun. I learned what a waffle acually is. its a pastery.

I LOVED IT. It was fun. i would reccomend it. I learned a lot
Nicole
Sep 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book I've ever read! 26 chapters of excellence!
Everett
Jul 23, 2007 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
What a moving and powerful work. Although Webster's extensive vocabulary and Finnegan's Wake-esque narrative style at times make his work a challenge to digest, this book is worth the effort.
Eric Bove
Apr 13, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There were so many words in here that I had to look up. It was ridiculous.
Henri
Mar 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The storyline was terrible but I found that the vocabulary was very good. It was very suspenseful, though a little long.
Steve Bolduc
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing tool for the English learners.
DeadWeight
Dec 14, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Look: between my hatred of the Merriam-Webster and my absolute condemnation of everything that is the absolutely god damn abhorrent New Living Translation of the Bible probably fit to come off as a some prescriptive, elitist douchebag, but I have probably even less qualms with a supposed "democratic" dictionary than I do with a "plain English" Bible.

That being said, the liberal amendments to Webster's unabridged have descended to such levels of hapless and cynical memery that the entire enterpri
Tiffany Morgan
(2004). The merriam webster dictionary. Springfield, Mass.: Merriam-Webster Inc.

Citation: Tiffany Morgan

Call Number: Ref 423

Type of Reference: Dictionary

Content/Scope: Every reference section needs an updated copy of a dictionary. This paperback dictionary is

Accuracy/Authority/Bias: Webster is an authoritative name when it comes to definitions. Anything that has been published by Webster is an accurate resource.

Arrangement/Presentation: The Dictionary is paperback and contains over 75,000 de
Chris Scherer
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference

Citation by: Chris Scherer

Call number: Ref 423

Content/Scope: A dictionary targeted at high school age students and up. It contains over 2,000 new words and is based on the Merrriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary. It can be used for defining words, pronunciation, and part of speech.

Accuracy/Authority: Merriam-Webster is the leader in defining words. They have been publishing dictionaries since 1831.

Arrangement/Presen
Chris M.
Oct 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like English words or just want to know what they mean
Okay...I am being kind of a goof. But family legend has it that this was one of my favorite books as a toddler. No kidding. No, not this paticular Merriam-Webster editi on. Unfortunately, the exact edition was not included as part of the oral history. I do remember that it was big--to a toddler anyway--and had a brown cover with gold letters. It also had those little finger notches. It smelled like...well...like a book. And when thumped, made that satisfying booky kind of sound. A solid "thunk" ...more
Vivian Probst
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a linguist by education. I love words. I also believe they contain extraordinary energy so I study them in a variety of ways to understand their full impact. No place better than Merriam-Webster's to do this. Like the word 'hedonistic'. We use that so negatively. Why? I looked it up and, well, call me a hedonist of the highest order. Pleasure in life? YOU Bet!
Christopher
Though I appreciate the authors' attention to detail, I found the writing style to be very rigid and linear. I started to uncover the plot about halfway through the book, though must admit I really had to dig for it.
DW
Picked up another today at the Emerson College Barnes & Noble. This is my third copy of this exact volume/edition. The binding can't keep up with me, lol. I'll try to be less vigorous with this one :p
Mary
Mar 30, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
what can i say, sometimes this is a must just to get through certian books!
Peter
Apr 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
How do you review a dictionary? It has words in it, and after each one it has a definition. Nice job.
Brij Shyam
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I`m using it on my phone.It`s a best dictionary that I have ever used. ...more
Christina-Rose
I once said I was going to read this... might as well make it official!
Jenna
Sep 23, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read it in Library... does that count??
R.
Feb 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
BEST DICTIONARY EVER.
Jeff
Jan 03, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recently looked up words: democracy, communism, leap year, apartheid, righteousness, art and sin.
John Yelverton
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must have for any and every student of the English language.
David
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shiraz
I have the mobile application version and I think its great. No idea what the isbn is but it works offline, detail is good as are the cross references.
Neil Shelley
  • Webster's New World Thesaurus
  • The American Heritage College Dictionary
  • Roget's International Thesaurus
  • A Pocket Style Manual
  • 501 Spanish Verbs: Fully Conjugated in All the Tenses in a New Easy-To-Learn Format Alphabetically Arranged
  • The University of Chicago Spanish - English English - Spanish Dictionary
  • The Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy
  • MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers
  • The Little, Brown Handbook, APA Update [with CD]
  • Roget's College Thesaurus in Dictionary Form, The New American: Revised and Enlarged Edition
  • Webster's Third New International Dictionary
  • How to Calculate Quickly: Full Course in Speed Arithmetic
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees: Eastern Region
  • A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations: Chicago Style for Students and Researchers
  • Hoyle's Rules of Games
  • The American Heritage Dictionary
  • Concise Oxford English Dictionary with CDROM
  • A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers (Writings of Henry D. Thoreau)
Merriam-Webster, Incorporated, is an American company that publishes reference books, especially dictionaries.

In 1831, George and Charles Merriam founded the company as G & C Merriam Co. in Springfield, Massachusetts. In 1843, after Noah Webster died, the company bought the rights to An American Dictionary of the English Language from Webster's estate. All Merriam-Webster dictionaries trace th
More about Merriam-Webster...