Start by marking “The Spirit of Kaizen: Creating Lasting Excellence One Small Step at a Time: Creating Lasting Excellence One Small Step at a Time (eBook)” as Want to Read:

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  331 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
The easy-to-implement guide to driving organizational change by applying the proven concept of "kaizen"

UCLA psychologist and organizational consultant Dr. Robert Maurer provides a simple and proven effective technique for making major changes with minimal disruption. Applying the operational concept of "kaizen"--small, continual improvements--to common management challenge
Published November 2nd 2012 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published October 11th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Spirit of Kaizen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spirit of Kaizen

George Girton
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short: loads of fun :-). Several really great ideas. Chief among them the human mind cannot avoid considering the question once posed, no matter how small. It is not necessary to answer the question but merely to put it out there.o
Bob Wallner
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lean, change, audible
I don't often give 5 stars to a book, but spirit of Kaizen definitely deserves that grade.

When I purchased this audiobook I was assuming it would be another lean book that reviews the 8 waste, making dramatic changes, and other things closely associated with Toyota production system.

How wrong I was! This book is 1 part psychology, 1 part neuroscience, and 1 part common sense. Other than a couple small examples Toyota production system and lean are not even discussed. Dr Deming is credited with b
Kevin Orth
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a fan of big, huge, in your face, larger than life. This book affirms my bias for smaller, quieter, incremental, bite size adjustment, change, and improvement.

Tremendous, earth shattering, ground breaking, mountain moving improvement is possible - the way we get there is one small step at a time. We are more assured success in our big initiatives when we focus on the means, small details along the way, and make changes in tiny increments.
James Thompson
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has the distinction of being the only book I have ever purchased 5 different times.

As a creative professional, I was introduced to the agile methodology through what is called SCRUM. I despised it, and pretty much everything about it as a very narrow sited solution to a very particular group of professionals of which I was not. However, it was my current companies mandate, that we transition to SCRUM. I looked and looked for books that could help me understand my place. The Spirit of
Michael Kerr
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, business
Kaizen, a Japanese word meaning "good change" is a business concept centred on continual positive improvement. The genius is that the change being talked about is small, incremental, and non-threatening. Big change triggers panic or fear and leads to paralysis. It's hard to get an organization or individual on-board for a big frightening change. Kaizen, by contrast, focuses on the tiny step in the right direction. And it is surprising where those tiny steps can lead.

This is a business book, and
Gavin Morrice
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is aimed at managers and business execs but anyone can benefit from applying the practice described inside.

It teaches a rational, scientific approach to solving problems by:

- breaking them down into smaller, more manageable chunks
- training the brain to start thinking of solutions by asking the right kind of questions
- allowing us to stay creative, simply by reducing the stress that inherently blocks creative thought

Will definitely read again!
Pctrainer98
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One small step... The idea of making very small changes to have a LARGE impact is empowering to me. I listened to it twice before it was due. I believe the Tipping Point will have a similar bend. Looking forward to listening to it soon.
Li Li
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very quick read. Most of the concepts are not net new. The one I learnt is around mind sculpture, derived from guided imagination. Mainly it's visualization.

When you need to make a change, there are two basic strategies you can use: innovation and kaizen. Innovation calls for a radical, immediate rethink of the status quo. Kaizen, on the other hand, asks for nothing other than small, doable steps toward improvement.

Dealing with difficult people - Thinking of the person as suffering fro
Leonidas Kaplan
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The main idea behind this book is simple. BIG change is HARD. We are very resistant to BIG change. Our own mind, the people around us, organizations, and everything else is resistant to change.

So how do go about implementing change with the least resistance? By implementing very small steps. One small step, then another, then another.

And even if these small steps are hard, then we break them down even more, until things become comfortable. Over time, your thinking and physiology will adapt so th
Cynthia
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, 4-stars
I was suggested by a head hunter to read about Lean Management. When I started to, last week, I realized that it was often used as a tool in the Kaizen mindset. Kaizen reading it became! Plus, I'm working on a project at the office that could use the Kaizen method.

I really enjoyed the reading. Everything is logical but at the same time, I get that it can be difficult. I had heard that you could change behavior by making very small step but didn't know it was related to Kaizen. Now I know.

I am li
Andrew French
People most often do not get ahead or accomplish what they want, not because of a lack of drive or vision, but because of fear. The human mind is wired to avoid change wherever possible. Change equals danger. Danger equals fear. And fear is what holds us back from achieving our goals. Not all individuals have the strength and stamina to crash through this barrier with brute force. Enter: Kaizen. The philosophy of achieving great things one small, seemingly insignificant, step at a time. The conc ...more
Jozef
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zeer de moeite van het lezen. Een beetje een herhaling van zijn andere boek "De kracht van Kaizen", maar meer naar management gericht. Hij herhaalt toch verschillende onderwerpen.
Het is zeker de moeite omdat het boek kort is en rap gelezen. Geconcentreerd tot de essentie.
Hij verliest een ster omdat hij "Good to Great" citeert en blijkbaar niet de moeite gedaan heeft om vast te stellen dat dat boek niet deugt.
Alfin
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
Buku ini sangat bagus, saya jarang kasih rating 5, tp menurut saya buku ini sangat layak dpt rating 5 bintang.

Seringkali kita mendengar tentang mulailah dari yg kecil, mulai sekarang jg, tp tetep gak tau sekecil apa, mulai darimana. Nah, di buku ini "bagaimana" melakukan hal-hal kecil, bertahap dan terus menerus diperbaiki itu dijelaskan dengan sangat menarik, mudah dicerna dan sangat applicable menurut saya untuk kehidupan pribadi maupun bisnis.
Stratis Valachis
Very inspiring read on how small incremental steps towards improvement can be a lot more effective than big abrupt change, in any aspect of life. The human brain is built to fear and resist change. The Kaizen philosophy provides us with a very effective mindset on how to work around this.
Johnee Schwartz
Really nice introduction to kaizen and how it can change every day habits. Perhaps my favorite part was its approach to diet and making small changes that add up. Also some good fundamental business touchstones.
Daniel Oon Yong Lin
Top notch book about the application of Kaizen that is not just for manufacturing but Kaizen for our day to day lives. Small steps make all the difference for Toyota, and it makes all the difference for people today.
Natalie
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gave me a lot to think about. I'm typically an all or nothing type person and have a great impatience with small steps. However, I'll have to admit that I quit at much of what I start because of this. Hopefully I can find a way to incorporate this concept.
Ivan Dimitrov
Dec 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice book describing technics already discussed on many other books. There first chapter is a nice summary of the book and the later chapters are filled with with great examples.
The technics are a great companion to those practicing Lean and Theory of Constraints
Louischa
May 08, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Livre très mal écrit, très superficiel, mais malgré cela, le kaizen est une technique indéniablement utile. Dommage que l'auteur soit un si mauvais écrivain.
Daron Yondem
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-learn
Good read... Simply "start small" :) and iterate...
Hemlet Kiai
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mylibrary
Love the book!
Steve Oglesby
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book, great examples of how this simple philosophy can be applied across every area of life.
rhodeswarrior
nice, gentle introduction to kaizen
Kelly D'avella
Alex Cuva
Feb 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Hard Goals: The Secret to Getting from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • Overcoming Fake Talk: How to Hold Real Conversations That Create Respect, Build Relationships, and Get Results
  • Likeable Business: Why Today's Consumers Demand More and How Leaders Can Deliver
  • Think Like Zuck: The Five Business Secrets of Facebook's Improbably Brilliant CEO Mark Zuckerberg
  • Left Brain, Right Stuff: How Leaders Make Winning Decisions
  • Can't Buy Me Like
  • How to Change Minds: The Art of Influence without Manipulation
  • Extreme Trust: Honesty as a Competitive Advantage
  • SmartTribes: How Teams Become Brilliant Together
  • Generations at Work: Managing the Clash of Veterans, Boomers, Xers, and Nexters in Your Workplace
  • Nothing Is Impossible: 7 Steps to Realize Your True Power and Maximize Your Results
  • Collaborate or Perish!: Reaching Across Boundaries in a Networked World
  • The Male Factor: The Unwritten Rules, Misperceptions, and Secret Beliefs of Men in the Workplace
  • Crazy Bosses: Fully Revised and Updated
  • The Synergist: How to Lead Your Team to Predictable Success
  • Leadership Transformed: How Ordinary Managers Become Extraordinary Leaders
  • A Team of Leaders: Empowering Every Member to Take Ownership, Demonstrate Initiative, and Deliver Results
  • Game-Changer: Game Theory and the Art of Transforming Strategic Situations