Start by marking “Cock-a-Doodle-Moo!” as Want to Read:
Cock-a-Doodle-Moo!

Cock-a-Doodle-Moo!

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  138 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
When the rooster wakes up with laryngitis, he must quickly think of how to awaken the farm animals. Maybe the cow can take his place. The cow tries “Mock-a-moodle-moo!” “Sock-a-noodle-moo!” And finally, “Cock-a-doodle-MOO!” And the ducks, the pigs, and the other farm animals wake up with a laugh! “Lots of fun for little ones, individually or in groups.”--Booklist
Published September 15th 1996 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Cock-a-Doodle-Moo!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cock-a-Doodle-Moo!

Amanda
Worked great with our cow themed story time. Simplistic, may not repeat with preschool, but will use for toddlers instead.
Casandria
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun and simple--great for storytimes.
Heidi-Marie
An older book, with a bit of repetition that bored me at first. It took some thought, but I finally came up with a good way to read it to the preschool group. I made sure to make the sounds as well as I could--with a distinguishable whisper for the rooster. Then I had the kids help me try to "teach" the cow. And then I had them call out with me for the rest of the book. The Tuesday group was OK with that, but the Thursday group (larger of the two) really got into it. Adults, too, actually.

4/25/1
Daniel
Feb 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I have to admit that I've always been one to lean toward the surreal or absurdist works in all art forms, and this children's book is a classic for me. A rooster with laryngitis and a cow that tries to help but can't quite get "cock-a-doodle-doo" right. What hilarity!

There's really nothing to this book, except the idea of helping one another, but reading "Moch-A-Moodle-Moo" and "Sock-A-Noodle-Moo" out loud just has to be a sure fire way to get a child to laugh.

I'll read it out loud any time, any
Kate Hastings
Feb 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: winterstorytimes
Fun book for toddlers and preschoolers about a rooster that wakes up with a cold and has to teach a cow how to step in for him. Funny rhyming words as the cow doesn't quite get it right. Eventually cock-a-doodle moo suffices. And older title-- but the kiddos ROLL on the ground.
Miss Sarah
Mar 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: cows, roosters
the rooster can't seem to wake anyone up this morning except one cow. He tries to teach the cow to cock a doodle doo to help wake all the other animals but the cow can't quite get it right. Will they be able to wake the other animals?
Mary
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
When the rooster loses his voice, a cow steps in to help. Young listeners will appreciate the silly word play and will enjoy chanting the repetitive text. Don't miss the opportunity to point out that everyone is happier to wake up laughing!
Rachel
Oct 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'm giving this four stars based on how much this book makes Jacob laugh. We checked it out from the library with a stack of other books about animals, and he kept begging to read this one over and over.
Kelly
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Illustrated by the author. A rooster with a hoarse voice gets help from his friend cow while delighting the listeners with their failed attempts at waking the barnyard up. I got lots of laughs even from very young kids at storytime. A great book.
Cheryl
Mar 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pig, cow, farm, duck, chicken, rooster
Funny story about a rooster with laryngitis and the cow that tries to figure out how to help. Cute, colorful illustrations.
Janderson
Apr 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Fun! So much room for kids to interpret sounds and point out objects. Great for a variety of themes.
Paula
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: farm
When the rooster loses its voice and must ask the cow for help to wake everybody, the resulting sound provides a hearty laugh for the farmer and his animals.
Cristina
Apr 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Funny--a rooster loses his voice and has to recruit a cow to wake up the farm. Illustrations aren't the greatest though.
Samantha
Rooster has lost his voice and his whispered crows just aren't waking anyone up. He enlists Cow to help him, but Cow mixes up the message a bit. A funny read aloud for toddlers and prek.
Allison
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
A rooster loses his voice and needs help from the cow to wake up the farm. This was adorable!
Edna
Sep 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cows, roosters
One morning Rooster loses his voice and finds he can't wake the farm animals or the farmer so Cow decides to help him out.
Angela
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cows
Do the silly voices and it works.
Kim
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
fun story with bright, bold colors and lots of onomonopoeic words; very fun read-aloud

themes: cows, farms, roosters, teamwork
Edward Sullivan
May 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
One of my favorite read alouds.
Ellen Brandt
Oct 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Worked very well with the transitional Kindergarten class.
Tied into the animal theme
Christine Turner