Start by marking “Bukan Pasar Malam” as Want to Read:
Bukan Pasar Malam

Bukan Pasar Malam

Perjalanan seorang anak revolusi yang pulang kampung karena ayahandanya jatuh sakit. Dari seputaran perjalanan itu, terungkap beberapa potong puing gejolak hati yang teka pernah teranggap dalam gebyar-gebyar revolusi.

Dikisahkan bagaimana keperwiraan seseorang dalam revolusi pada akhirnya melunak ketika dihadapkan pada kenyataan sehari-hari: ia menemukan ayahnya yang
Published 2004 by Lentera Dipantara (first published December 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Bukan Pasar Malam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bukan Pasar Malam

Start your review of Bukan Pasar Malam
David
Apr 29, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Its Not an All Night Fair by Pramoedya Ananta Toer Translated by CW Watson

It is my opinion that from time to time, serious readers need to sample writers who are recognized as leading authors in countries and cultures not typically known for their works in the readers experience. I found out about the Indonesian Pramoedya Ananta Toer from a large tome of literary criticism, Guide To Modern World Literature by Martin Seymour-Smith published in 1973.

Pramoedya Ananta Toer was a political dissident
Raditya Dika
Jul 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always feel that pramoedya is overrated, but this one.. man, it's just moving, trancendent, and gives a great rememberance of the legendary author. there's a sense of awe after reading this book, a feeling that human is such a fragile creature and pramoedya did that only by giving a story of a man getting back on a train to his father's funeral.

to quote the book, "why couldnt people born together and die together.. like an all night fair." forget the buru quartet, this one is such a perfect
Dhiyanah
Nov 30, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: locality-sea
This was recommended to me as an introduction to Pramoedya's work. The novella leaks sentimentality. Heaviness building up through chapters until reader follows narrator along on his struggle for words and meaning in the midst of returning home, losing a father, carrying memories of collective chaos. There are blanks and gaps in the internal monologues and dialogues that attempt to say more than they can -- this I wish was better executed. What was said and explored, however, proved significant. ...more
John
May 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, indonesia
A touching novella that tells the story of a son returning home to his father's deathbed, set in post-independence Indonesia. Father and son were both political prisoners in their own time.
Missy J
2.5*

One of Pramoedya Ananta Toer's earlier works, Bukan Pasar Malam (my translation: "Not a Night Market") is a short novella published in 1951, a few years after Indonesia gained independence. It's a confusing time, the memory of colonialism is still close, freedom hasn't really seeped in yet, revolution is everywhere and no one knows what to expect. The protagonist is a young man living in Jakarta, who gets a letter that his father is dying in his home village of Blora. Together with his wife,
Naliza Fahro-Rozi
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The story is quite simple, about a revolutionist who returned home to visit his father who was seriously ill. And during his journey, he shared fragments of his life's events, and the many things surrounding him, the problems that must be faced, and also the small events that occur everyday in people's lives. Pramoedya Ananta Toer perfectly creates a situation that makes us feel part of his cross country side train journey.

Through it all, and faced with his father's impending death, the
Lisa didien
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Once again reading this book but in Bahasa Indonesia.
We found this book at home without knowing whom it belongs to.
I think someone who rent a room upstair in the past was the owner.
So, when I really really need a book to fill my brain and soul, I just took it and read it.

It gave me more detail and more feeling about the story than the English version (I think because it's the original language and my English is also not super haha..)
For me, Mr. Pram is a great writer and this one is nice story
Aldi Sikar
Jan 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
First of all, I'm not really a fan of stories depicting pain and suffering. I guess I often try to find hope and joy in books to take my mind of reality. However, I do realize that time to time I need to be reminded on how life itself can be felt through tears and burden shared together.

The book tells a story of Aku and his journey in facing the reality presented to him. Like many other realities, it came without asking for permission. The main character, Aku, is presented with a situation where
Brian
May 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2009, asian
I forget who said (want to think it was Pamuk), "Every man's death begins with the death of his father", but it is that quote that this book kept whispering in my head. This is a simple story, a sad story, a story of death... a son returns home to central Java to see his dying father and tries to find meaning in his father's life and in his own in a world that makes little sense.

I looked out of the window again. Rubber plantations followed, fast one after the other. Small towns which I often
Nisa
Oct 21, 2008 rated it liked it
This book is my first Pram experience.(Okay, I know I'm a bit late, but at least I make the effort! LOL) Well, at first I was only curious about why his books were banned by the previous governments, so I thought his books would be filled with political issues. But this one, even though it's heavily loaded with those kind of issues, also shows the more human side of things. Like death?

I read this one in a single gulp, in a sleepless night, and I've got to say that reading this sent shiver down
Annisa
Oct 21, 2008 rated it liked it

Mark
Mar 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: in-possessions
Originally published in 1951, Bukan Pasar Malam tells a very elemental story (if not personal account of Pramoedya Ananta Toer himself), about the eldest son of a family who travels with his wife from Jakarta to his home village in Blora (Central Java), to sit by his father's deathbed. From there, the story unveiled itself, narrated in the first person. This eldest son, who until the end of this novella we would not be told of his real name, is forced to find value and meaning in not only his ...more
SueEllen
This was a very simple story which wove many complex themes about colonialism, place, family and death into one short, historical narrative set in the time of Dutch colonialism in Java. An eldest son is released from a political prison and returns home to assist his siblings with the care of his father, who is dying of TB. I'm not sure the Prodigal Son analogy works here, but it is not too far off. Ultimately, we realize that despite the "swarms" of people who fill our days, we enter and exit ...more
Lisa didien
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a touching story about life, death, and love...unforgetable impressing short story :)

"...Other people may have written about fraught journeys back to the family but none had located them in circumstances of that critical point in Indonesia's history..." ~ C.W. Watson ~ p. 97

"...And the Chinese the night before had wanted the world to be an all night fair where people came in crowds and left in crowds..."
Aggy
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sweet short story about reflection on life. Gentle in words as usual, which force the reader to contemplate on their own lifelong journey. In the end a question emerge, how will I make a meaning of my life? Will I merely be like a visitor of an all night fair, come and go to this temporary event just to entertain myself?
Tatik
With reading this book, i can underastand that there will be so many intricacies during our journey in live. We will survie if we will keep on our commitment.
For me, this book is quite recomended to be read.
Cherika Hardjakusumah
Jul 28, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
It's quite funny to read Pram's in English. But you should try once!
Zulakmar Hazwan
Jun 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
a legend Indonesian literature, full of controversy and the author is extra ordinary!
Tyas
Jun 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Unfortunately, the publisher of this book does not provide a list or glossary of words or terms (especially the Dutch-derived ones) now rendered obsolete in Indonesian.
Harlani
Sep 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
I like the details of the setting and characterization.
Azmi Hoffmann
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
you read it as if you eat tiramisu. a bittersweet dessert with bunch of flavour.
Amellina
Oct 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indonesian-read
A nice story about family and returning to the place where you come from.

I adore Pramoedya Ananta Toer.
I just love what he does with words.
Vita
Jul 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: doneshelf
about recall our life...
it would be great story, mostly when we're loosing someone we love much... how we will remember them, moment by moment...
we all have such story, actually...
Cyn
Aug 06, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
inspiring :-)
Aldyon
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now, I know why Pramoedya Ananta Toer got so many humanity awards. This books touch my heart in a delicate way, so glad his works now distributed easily in Indonesia.
Amalia
Dec 23, 2008 added it
You was born,live your life with your community, and back to the Al Mighty all alone.
Ria
Aug 25, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
it's 'so so' i think,,,
Selvianty Selvianty
simple story yet very rich in term of literature. Opa Pram was indeed a great father of Indonesia's literacy.
Juno Silkshade
May 24, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indonesia
The writing (or translation) seems messy. This is set around the 1950s during/after Indonesia's independence.
Andy
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: was-read
He miss his hometown... He really miss it...
Mengenang Pram dengan Bookmark 1 6 May 28, 2015 01:53AM

• Saman
  • Robohnya Surau Kami
  • Raden Mandasia si Pencuri Daging Sapi
  • Bung Karno: Penyambung Lidah Rakyat Indonesia
Pramoedya Ananta Toer was an Indonesian author of novels, short stories, essays, polemics, and histories of his homeland and its people. A well-regarded writer in the West, Pramoedya's outspoken and often politically charged writings faced censorship in his native land during the pre-reformation era. For opposing the policies of both founding president Sukarno, as well as those of its successor, ...more