Start by marking “Kiss Mommy Goodbye” as Want to Read:
Kiss Mommy Goodbye

Kiss Mommy Goodbye

Published June 1st 1982 by Signet (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Kiss Mommy Goodbye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kiss Mommy Goodbye

Deanna
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this quite a few years ago but it was a great book. I am considering reading it again.
I'm a huge fan of Joy Fielding and this early book was one of the best in my opinion.
Pardis Ahmadi
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
this book is really underrated if you ask me. the guy she was married to first, reminded me of my ex. i actually could imagine how my life would be if i actually married him and got kids. this is what i love about books. it helps you imagine your "what if" life with extraordinary details. 4.5 is my rating for this book. and i am a big fan of Joy Fielding!
Jennie
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am overall pleased with Kiss Mommy Goodbye, and my first Joy Fielding book.

Part 1 of the book switches between the past and present of Donna's divorce proceedings with her husband Victor, and the past detailing their time dating and during their marriage. Part 2 is covering what happens when Victor takes the children for his weekend visitation.

Decent pacing, emotional, and kept me glued! The ending was a bit too heartwarming and lovey dovey for me, but still a 4 star read.

Unfortunately, this
Lissa
Apr 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Nancy
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book but I would have liked the end to not feel so rushed. Felt like she hit a deadline to finish or something. I am interested enough to find more books from this author & give them a try since previous reviewers have said this was an earlier book & not as refined as later novels written by her.

Good enough to keep me reading all day so that's a definite plus
Kristin
Nov 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2009
THIS BOOK WAS GREAT! I CRIED TWICE! VERY VERY EMOTIONAL BOOK. If you have kids this will play on your biggest fear!
Lori Schiele
"A man plots to destroy the woman who was once his wife by kidnapping the children their love once made."
"A...story of the psychological warfare waged by two people who were once desperately in love...and of the two vulnerable children caught in the crossfire of their adult emotions."

The first half of the book: "The Past" was a bit tricky to follow as it bounced around in time during the relationship of two people, Donna and Victor (meeting, dating, getting engaged, getting married, parents of o
AGilden
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amazingly good rendering of the character of an emotional abuser.

"You weren’t at the wedding because Victor Cressy still hadn’t gotten around to forgiving you, valued coworker, for allegedly interfering with one of his prospective clients, a slight you weren’t even aware you’d committed and for which you spent almost a year apologizing before Victor, intelligent, fair man that he is, felt you had been punished enough, and deigned to speak to you again. You have ever after felt you were entirely
LInda L
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was one of Fielding's early books -- it was great. Sad, and the ending was dynamite. What a horrible father -- total psychopath. We can only hope he spent many long years in jail. The book went on a little too long in the middle, but once Mommy got herself together, it was great. The 3 books before this one are out of print, so don't know if I'll ever get hold of them . I've gotten a bit obsessed with the books by this author -- I've read all the most recent ones, but don't know about the o ...more
Christine L
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Joy Fielding is such a popular author with so many books following this one (her first) that I really wanted to give her a try. Maybe her books just get better and better but I don’t know that read any beyond this one. As much as I tried to sympathize with the “done wrong” character, frankly I couldn’t like either main character.
Danielle C.
Nov 03, 2017 rated it liked it
I found this book to be quite different than many of the other books I"ve read by Joy Fielding, and I definitely didn't enjoy it as much as most of her other stuff. As much as I liked how the book was framed, I found it really too predictable and not overly developed. But don't be discouraged I have adored almost every other book written by Joy Fielding, so just pick up another!
Charlotte Roy
Not so hot

Joy, you’ve disappointed me. I’m a big fan, but this unlikable heroine got on my nerves. I struggled through to the end, though. Much as wanted to, I just couldn’t put it down.
Karen perry
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
this one was a bit slower tp get into but once it got going again i couldnt put it down,would of liked to have heard a few chapters from victor at the end but never the less a good book and still enjoying this author
jody higinbotham
Great

As usual Job Fielding has crafted a wonderful story! The characters are fully fleshed out and interesting. The heroine is interesting as she fights through the injustice served on her by Victor her husband. A good read.
Christine Campanella
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Omg the fights that this couple had really drove me up the wall that I wanted to scream as loud as the wife! This was a fantastic example of how people can really push your buttons. Great book!
Meredith Morgan
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A scary book about emotional abuse in a marriage, how insidious it is and the effect on everyone.
Shirley
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good character descriptions--especially in regard to lack of self-confidence and impact of loss
Diana Hockley
Feb 03, 2013 rated it liked it

This novel, quite frankly, is about a couple who should never have married. The husband is a master of manipulation and the wife an unstable character who becomes more so as the novel progresses, although with good reason when he scoots off with the kids.

However, I wanted to throttle this self-absorbed woman when she turns on the very people who love her and causes their lives misery. She doesn't deserve their care and her realization of what she is doing to them and herself comes far too late i
Kelsey
Feb 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was such a mess with you head kind of book! Donna has lived in an mentally abusive relationship for six years. It starts out all roses and ends up with her doubting every move she makes. She has brought two children into the world the first out of love; the second out of rape by her husband. When Donna asksVictor in the beginning of their relationship what would happen if they didn't work out. His answer, "I'd obliterate you." And that is exactly what he does. After the judge finds in favor ...more
Louise
Mar 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm quickly becoming a "Fielding" fan! I recently read my first novel by Joy Fielding titled "Whispers & Lies" and thoroughly enjoyed it. This is the second novel of her's that I've perused and this one was a real page turner.

From the back cover:

"Those goodbye kisses Donna received from her children when ex-husband Victor picked them up for their day's outing with him were for all time....forever.

Only Donna did not know that, and the memory of her children's kisses on the day they disappeare
Wendy
May 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
I have read a fair few of Joy Fielding's books but this book was just OK. It was a quick read which makes it a suitable holiday read but I found the story slightly predictable and very depressing.

It's a story about child kidnapping by a divorced parent. We meet Donna and Victor. At first, they are happily in love but then he becomes the controlling husband and her life changes. They have two children and eventually file for divorce. She gets custody and on one of his visits takes the children an
Janine
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an older title of Joy's that I hadn't read. I love her books and I believe she just improves with each one. She definitely fits into the "Domestic Noir" category before it was even invented.

This one is about psychological abuse, how one can be made to feel helpless, incompetent and powerless by your husband. Despite having two children, Donna is made to feel inferior by Victor every time, how he can twist every conversation to make her believe that everything is her fault. She eventually
Heather
Nov 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
Meh. Definitely not Fielding's best, but it was an early one (I didn't realize the publication date until most of the way through when they mentioned an Eric Estrada poster as a gift for a pre-teen! Fortunately, at least, parental kidnapping laws have come a long way since...), and she definitely as improved with age. Soooo much build up to the whole taking-the-kids thing, and while it was all well done, it felt like once we finally got to that point, the ending was too rushed and didn't have mu ...more
TheReadingKnitter/ Kasey
Jun 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011

My Review - I've had Joy Fielding on my list of TBR authors for a long time and I finally gave her a chance. She's awesome. I knew what the ending was going to be but I wanted to see how she took the characters and
Katie
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-bookshelf
I managed to find this older novel at Goodwill and thought I'd try it. It was based around a divorce court case of the custody of the children. During the marriage the husband was always questioning his wife, so you come to take her side though all this. The Ex wife wins the custody battle, but soon enough he has kidnapped their children. Since it was a court case, and that is normally not my type of book I was not completely into it. However, I did want to know the outcome so I stuck with it.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS

"Donna and Victor were once madly in love, but after years of mental abuse, divorce is the only way out for Donna. Despite Victor's threats, Donna wins custody of their two children, but when Victor takes the children for a weekend away, Donna has no idea what nightmare has just begun." (From Amazon)

This is my first Joy Fielding novel and I really enjoyed it. I reread this novel 9 years later (1996 & 2005) and still enjoyed the suspense knowing the ending.
Pam
Jul 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read this book back when it first came out in 1981 or 1982. I was in high school at the time and have read it several times since then. It was a great story, but like others have mentioned, difficult to get through at times, especially when reading how Donna and Victor's marriage turned from loving to overly controlling and verbally abusive by Victor.

To this day, I still can't make a Sheperds Pie without thinking of this book. (Readers will understand that comment).
Paula
Oct 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Donna falls in love with Victor even though she finds out some things before they are married but pushes them aside to be with him. Life turns out to not be what Donna expected and Victor files for divorce and custody of their two children. Victor takes the kids and leaves and Donna will search until she finds them.
Lucie
Dec 12, 2015 rated it liked it
3-3.5
After loving the Someone is watching I expected a little more from this. I loved the first part - the past. It was catching, fast paced and moving. The other part though felt kinda like a pain to read. It felt forced, too fast, too hurried up.
It wasn't bad. Maybe it was just a little too old for my young brain (haha). I'll give other Joy Fielding's books a try.
Kari
Dec 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I was about 3/4 through this book and left it on the bus ,I was like a crazed animal on a mission to get this book finished !!I went to my library and they had to order it from another library in large ptint because it was written 17 years ago.... you can't tell,it is so well written !! So glad I finished it !! Great read !!!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Stranger in the House
  • All Fall Down
  • Criminal Conversation
  • Mouth to Mouth
  • Doll's Eyes
  • Come Pour the Wine
  • The Devil on Lammas Night
  • Murder at the Mendel (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #2)
  • The Crowd Pleasers
  • Look Closely
  • Vrijdag
  • Relics (Brother Petroc, #1)
  • Vakantiegeld
  • The Piranhas
  • Conflict of Interest
  • Lullaby And Goodnight
  • Verlies
  • Are You Afraid?
Joy Fielding (née Tepperman; born March 18, 1945) is a Canadian novelist and actress. She lives in Toronto, Ontario.

Born in Toronto, Ontario, she graduated from the University of Toronto in 1966, with a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature. As Joy Tepperman, she had a brief acting career, appearing in the film Winter Kept Us Warm (1965) and in an episode of Gunsmoke. She later changed her last n
“What were they wearing the last time you saw them?’ Donna stared into the golden-flecked eyes of the moon-faced police lieutenant. He was a short man, intensely muscular” 0 likes