Start by marking “The Highly Engaged Classroom” as Want to Read:
The Highly Engaged Classroom

The Highly Engaged Classroom

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  182 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Student engagement happens as a result of a teacher's careful planning and execution of specific strategies. This basic premise drives The Highly Engaged Classroom, a self-study text that provides in-depth understanding of how to generate high levels of student attention and engagement. Using the suggestions in this book, every teacher can create a classroom environment wh ...more
Published March 21st 2010 by Marzano Research Laboratory

To ask other readers questions about The Highly Engaged Classroom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Highly Engaged Classroom

Jfrager
Jul 01, 2011 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The Highly Engaged Classroom By Robert Marzano

Pg 1 – Engagement is obviously a central aspect of effective teaching. If students are not engaged, there is little, if any, chance that they will learn what is being addressed in class.

Every teacher can create a classroom environment in which engagement is the norm instead of the exception.

***Idea – make posters of good quotes to put in the lounge or put a quote in the teacher’s weekly bulletin.

Chapter 1
Pg 3
If our emotions are negative in that mome
Teri
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
While I feel like there are nuggets in this book, Marzano doesn't write the most engaging book. I did write that on purpose to be ironic. Given there are so many books written on engagement, I would encourage you to read another one. Any other one.
Ms.
Jul 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three stars is a fairly high rating for books I have read about teaching. Pros: The last chapter, applying the information while planning, was an especially effective and practical review/summary. I appreciate the research based approach of this series by Marzano, and the authors do go farther than most others in breaking down their recommendations into clear actions that teachers can take or avoid. Cons: Too much of the books is devoted to classroom scenarios that did nothing to further my unde ...more
Christina
This was a really interesting book. I liked how it started off with an examination of recent research in education and applied it in a straight-forward way towards the classroom. It didn't feel preachy (like education books often do), and it had a nice balance between strategies aimed at elementary teachers as well as secondary teachers. I was also pleased to see that the examples were varied and catered to various school subjects. I do however wish there had been more examples of games and acti ...more
Jessica
Jun 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Educators
Recommended to Jessica by: Teacher bookclub
I just finished this book for my teacher book club (yes, yes I'm a nerd). Marzano is a wiz when it comes to practical classroom strategies. I just gave it a so-so rating because many of the tools and ideas were things I already implement in my daily taeching. Yet, I did get some good ideas (celebration board and four corners!) that I will definitely be trying out next year. The book made me miss teaching, and I'm only a week into break!
Emily Rakowsky
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book for your professional library. I am currently taking the Educational Models course and this is the book that we used. I really liked it because it gave very practical ways to engage students. It had new information as well as good reminders of how to engage students in lessons. It also gave recommendations of other books to read or websites to use. Overall, a very helpful book!
Christie Purdon
This book offers insight to what students are thinking and asking for in the way of having a relevant and engaging classroom experience. As teachers we must pay attention to and adjust our practice to meet students' needs. Great information and a useful planning template. Too many scenarios that didn't do much for me.
Spacek Kim
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book provides specific examples and strategies for engaging students in their learning. Growth and fixed mindsets were discussed. Four emblematic questions drive student attention and engagement: 1) How do I feel? 2) Am I interested? 3) Is this important? 4) Can I do this? Teachers must keep this questions in mind as they design lessons.
Neena Grosvenor
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: neena-s-books
This book has practical applications that can implemented immediately. I loved the scenarios for better understanding as well as the resource lists and forms supplied. An excellent tool for any educator.
Colin
Sep 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
A good review of things that we should all know form Ed school. Much of this is aimed at elementary and middle school, but there is enough so that high school teachers should be able to modify things and make them work.
Dave
Jul 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: instruction

Marzano (et al) is once again full of good advice. Unfortunately the highly engaged classroom is not a highly engaging book!
Jim
Aug 21, 2012 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Reading for knowledge as part of my job so here we go..
Mary
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pithy. I don't disagree, just found little new to wrestle with. A book that could be read, absorbed in just a few sittings.
Monica
Always great information from Marzano. This was a professional read go the summer and unfortunately , the major portion of this book seems to be repeat information from Marzano's other studies.
Vwteach02
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I need to revisit this book. Lots of strategies that one can implement immediately.
Jenny Wilcox
Most of the information in this book seemed pretty obvious.
David Hunter
genuinely helpful
Sky Robyns
Dec 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good clear strategies for educators...
Sandi Mascio
Well laid-out, but little content that is new to education.
Erin
Jun 01, 2013
Tina
Oct 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Leaders of Learning: How District, School, and Classroom Leaders Improve Student Achievement
  • Essential Questions: Opening Doors to Student Understanding
  • Focus: Elevating the Essentials to Radically Improve Student Learning
  • Checking for Understanding: Formative Assessment Techniques for Your Classroom
  • Total Participation Techniques: Making Every Student an Active Learner
  • Curriculum 21: Essential Education for a Changing World
  • Visible Learning for Teachers: Maximizing Impact on Learning
  • Embedded Formative Assessment - practical strategies and tools for K-12 teachers
  • Positive Discipline in the Classroom,: Developing Mutual Respect, Cooperation, and Responsibility in Your Classroom
  • Teaching for Comprehending and Fluency: Thinking, Talking, and Writing About Reading, K-8
  • Dealing with Difficult Parents: And with Parents in Difficult Situations
  • Words, Words, Words: Teaching Vocabulary in Grades 4-12
  • What Really Matters for Struggling Readers: Designing Research-Based Programs
  • Teach Like a Champion Field Guide: The Complete Handbook to Master the Art of Teaching
  • The Skillful Teacher: Building Your Teaching Skills