Start by marking “A Kiss Goodbye” as Want to Read:

(Chester the Raccoon #3)

Moving is hard on everyone, but especially children. Chester Racoon, whom readers have come to know and love through the New York Times bestseller The Kissing Hand, and its sequel, A Pocket Full of Kisses, is facing another dilemma common to the lives of many children; he and his family are moving. Young readers will love the way Chester says goodbye to his old home and le ...more
Published April 15th 2007 by Tanglewood

To ask other readers questions about A Kiss Goodbye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Kiss Goodbye

Start your review of A Kiss Goodbye
Deborah Previte
Oct 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-book
Pages: 32

Ages: Children of all ages

Dear Chester is having a difficult time because he is faced with the sad happening that children all over our United States (and the world) have to come to terms with these days: he has to move away from the security of the home he knows and loves. He also has to move away from his familiar friends and school. Many today have to move away from daddys or mommys or grandparents, too.

While his mother does all she can to reassure Chester, he is still sad. Fortunate
Jay
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
another super cute Chester Racoon story. this time about moving to a new place, with a new house, school and friends.

Chester learns that moving isn't so bad, he gets to keep his memories, & find new friends

** thanks to NetGalley & the publishers for this copy!
Daniel
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 4.0 of 5

Audrey Penn has a good thing going with her Chester Raccoon series of books. I don't know many parents of kindergarteners who aren't familiar with The Kissing Hand and she's followed it up with a few other books about Chester Raccoon learning something new.

In A Kiss Goodbye, Chester and family have to move. There's a mark around the tree he lives in which is an indication that the humans will soon be cutting the tree down
Amber
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This goes along with The Kissing Hand series. It deals with loss and adjustment. How to process and look at change in a different way. These books are great for kids but they are also great for adults. They help you to think of things in a new light. My son and I read this together after the death of his sister this last year. He really enjoyed it and used what happened in the story to help process what he was feeling. He is 5 (4 when she was killed).
Pam
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This time Chester and his family have to move because his tree will be cut down. He struggles and doesn't want to move. Of course, they have to go and he discovers that his new home is nice too. He meets a new friend to end the story.
Use with students who have to move or who need to welcome a new student.
Lisa
Covers all the familiar challenges for kids when facing a big move - new school, missing friends, liking the current home and not wanting to leave it. Encourages kids to treat the move as an adventure and ends with meeting a new friend.
Carrie Marshall
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Audrey Penn's kissing series is the best loving family series for children everywhere!!!!
Lynda
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
A perfect story to address a child’s sadness and anxiety about moving. Loving support from the Mama, the comfort of being not alone and the prize of friendship are all included in this tale.
Yulia Ivanova
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good for worries !
Cheryl
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I find these a little too sentimental, but when in a waiting room what else was I supposed to read? I wish ppl would honor appointments.
Jul 18, 2020 rated it really liked it

I really enjoyed the illustrations and story.
Katie
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read this to my kids after our “big move” and it really hit home.
SKay
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was exactly what a little one leaving their first home might feel. I couldn't ask for a more simple and sweet story.
Kara Moreland
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book told the story of Chester and his family having to move due to people coming to cut down trees where they lived. The book talks about the struggles Chester has with not wanting to move and how sad he was. In the end he likes his new home and already makes a new friend.
I love this book. I love all of these books! I only knew of one and I have found 2 and 3 now. These are fantastic books. I love the message and the meaning and the illustrations.
This could be used in a younger class for
Baley Petersen
Sep 24, 2011 rated it liked it
>>Original Post: http://thereadersbookblog.blogspot.co...

Another volume in the Chester Raccoon series, A Kiss Goodbye illustrates the challenges of moving to a new home. Any kid who has had to leave their home, friends, and school, knows how hard it is to get comfortable with change.

Chester announces that he's not moving. He wants to stay in his tree with his friends, where he's always lived. When Chester's mother encourages him to think of it as an adventure, Chester recounts the many adventure
Laurie
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melissa Roach
Apr 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Description:
Moving is hard on everyone, but especially children. Chester Raccoon, whom readers have come to know and love through the New York Times bestseller "The Kissing Hand", and its sequel, "A Pocket Full of Kisses", is facing another dilemma common to the lives of many children; he and his family are moving. Young readers will love the way Chester says goodbye to his old home and learns that there are some exciting aspects to his new home.

My thoughts...
When I read this book, I thought
Patricia (Patricia's Particularity)
Chester has to move, and he is not happy about it at all... in fact he is distraught. Not only does he have to move out of the home he loves he has to move away from all of his friends. Mrs. Raccoon tries to sooth Chester's sadness by telling him that he will make new friends and have new adventures at their new home. Chester is not convinced but begrudgingly says to goodbye to him home. At their new home Chester does indeed meet a new friend, a girl Raccoon....

Audrey Penn focuses on a topic tha
Patricia Mckelvy
Chester has to move, and he is not happy about it at all… in fact he is distraught. Not only does he have to move out of the home he loves he has to move away from all of his friends. Mrs. Raccoon tries to sooth Chester’s sadness by telling him that he will make new friends and have new adventures at their new home. Chester is not convinced but begrudgingly says to goodbye to him home. At their new home Chester does indeed meet a new friend, a girl Raccoon….

Audrey Penn focuses on a topic that mo
Jessica Breighner
1. Brief Summary:
This is a story about a raccoon who has to move from his house, a tree, that is going to be cut down by humans. He discovers what his new house is like, and meets new friends.
2. Potential Audience:
Topic: Fear of moving to a new place
Genre: Fiction
Reading Level: Fluent
3. Specific Curricular Uses:
read aloud: for students who are new to the classroom, or moving away from the class to a new school
Independent reading for the more fluent readers
4. Social Issues the boo
Dolly
Aug 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Moving is hard on everyone, but for children it can be especailly traumatic. I think our girls handled our recent move in stride, but sometimes I wonder if they truly understand. Not too long before we left, our five year old told our neighbor that we were leaving for three weeks and would be back in time for her birthday. I explained that it was more like three years, and that we weren't exactly sure when we'd be back. But in any case, books like these can help make the transition a little easi ...more
Alma Loredo
Nov 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Chester has to move because the tree that his family and friend live in has already been marked. In a few days it is expected to cut down. Mrs. Raccoon explains to Chester that the moving would be just like an adventure. Unfortunately this does not help Chester because all of his adventures do not end up good. Mrs. Chester convinces Chester to go that way he can meet new friends and he won’t be lonely. Chester is sad. When Chester arrives to his new home he begins to realize that he will really ...more
Kimberlee Gutterman
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book is great to read to children who have to move to an new place to live for the first time. The children will be able to relate to Chester because they may be experiencing some of the same feelings he is about having to move. Situations like moving are usually easier for children to deal with when the child can relate to someone else because sometimes they may feel left out and like what they want doesn't matter. The illustrations in this book are almost life like because they are drawn ...more
Cathy
Jul 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: pic-books
Sweet and touching as usual, Penn discusses the nature of moving and adapting to a new environment, calling it an adventure for the reluctant. Readers feel Chester's apprehension, and there's a good bit to discuss on why they need to move (their tree is being cut for wood, as are trees throughout the forest). The ending is disappointing as a girl raccoon is introduced, and from the artwork, it seems all Chester's concerns vanish on seeing her. Otherwise, the goodbyes and discussion between Chest ...more
Maria Burel
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
As with the other books in the Kissing Hand series, Penn handles a subject important to young children, and does so in such a gentle, optimistic way that readers can't help but feel comforted.

Chester and his family can no longer live in their tree. The tree has been marked for removal and Chester, his mother, and brother will have to move to a new tree in another part of the forest. Mrs. Raccoon tries to convince Chester that this will be an adventure, but Chester doesn't want an adventure...he
Kimberly
May 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
We meet Chester the Raccoon again.

This time, he has to move with his family because their tree is marked to be cut down. Change is always difficult, for the young and the not-so-young. Mother helps Chester through the move to the new tree they will live in. This is a nice addition to any Kindergarten to second grade class or school library. Just like the Franklin books, that help little ones learn the right way to behave and help little ones transition, Chester is turning into a baby-step comin
Alanna (The Flashlight Reader)
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Chester the raccoon is back! If you enjoyed The Kissing Hand, you will enjoy Chester's lessons in A Kiss Goodbye.

Chester has to move, and he is not happy about it! In fact, he does not want to go. But mama raccoon explains in a child-friendly-- and raccoon friendly-- way why it can be exciting to try something new. Reluctantly, Chester leaves his home and finds a way to keep a part of it with him. (It's very endearing-- be warned.)

When he gets to his new home, he finds many things that make it
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 STARS

(I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review)

"Moving is hard on everyone, but especially children. Chester Racoon, whom readers have come to know and love through the New York Times bestseller The Kissing Hand, and its sequel, A Pocket Full of Kisses, is facing another dilemma common to the lives of many children; he and his family are moving. Young readers will love the way Chester says goodbye to his old home and learns that there are some exciting aspects to his n
Amy
May 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I’m reviewing this book for NetGalley

A Kiss Goodbye is about Chester Raccoon. He finds out from his mother that both of them, along with his younger brother, Ronny, will have to move to another tree. Chester expresses to his mom that he doesn’t want to move, but she tells him to think of it like an adventure. Chester tells about some of his adventures that don’t end up too well.

I loved the illustrations in this book. This book will help children that are wary about moving to other places. I lik
799tee
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Beautifully illustrated. Another book about Chester Racoon that follows "The Kissing Hand;" and "A Pocketful of Kisses." This time Chester Racoon must face another dilemma- moving away from home. The Racoon family has no choice but to move because the forest home is being cut down. Chester is sad about moving to a new home.
Instructional ideas: read aloud: great for a student moving or welcoming a new student. Prediction: Why does the Raccoon family have to move from their tree? Retelling, Extens

• The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Fizzopolis #2: Floozombies!
  • Mouse Rushmore (Commander in Cheese Super Special, #1)
  • Lenny & Lucy
  • Tree : A little story about big things
  • Rough Creek (Brides of Rough Creek Texas, #1)
  • Consensual Hex
  • Getting Scot and Bothered (The Hots for Scots, #3)
  • Rainbow Crow
  • Rainbow Crow
  • Rebel (Women Who Dare, #1)
  • Never After
  • Shaping Up Summer
  • It's Not Supposed to Be This Way: Finding Unexpected Strength When Disappointments Leave You Shattered
  • Six Crows
  • Bear for Breakfast
  • When We Were Alone
  • The Very Impatient Caterpillar

Chester the Raccoon (7 books)
  • The Kissing Hand