Start by marking “The Wedding Diary” as Want to Read:
The Wedding Diary

The Wedding Diary

(Charton Minster #4)

Where's a Fairy Godmother when you need one?

If you won a fairy-tale wedding in a luxury hotel, you d be delighted right? But what if you didn't have anyone to marry? Cat Aston did have a fiancé, but now it looks like her Prince Charming has done a runner.

Adam Lawley was left devastated when his girlfriend turned down his heartfelt proposal. He's mad
Published May 7th 2013 by Choc Lit (first published April 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Wedding Diary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wedding Diary

The Wedding Diary by Margaret JamesVision in White by Nora RobertsBed of Roses by Nora RobertsHappy Ever After by Nora RobertsSavor the Moment by Nora Roberts
Fictional Planners
107 books — 90 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadRequiem by Lauren OliverBoundless by Cynthia Hand
2013 Releases
556 books — 990 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Wedding Diary
Bookread2day
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Wedding Diary it is such a lovely charming read. Full of great humour. I enjoyed reading The Wedding Diary so much so that I would love to read more books by Margaret James and more books from choc-lit.
The Wedding Diary is about Cat & Jack. Jack leaves Cat to go and find himself. Cat does not hear from Jack. Cat receives a call from poshly spoken fanny Gregory from supadoop promotions saying Cat has won a wedding package by filling in the form in the Bridal Magazine.
But Jack has disapp
Karen Mace
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was such a lovely read!! Cat is a woman with a dream! To have the perfect wedding! So when she wins a competition to have a fairy-tale wedding all expenses paid, the only problem is the lack of a fiancee!! What's a girl to do?!

She soon meets Adam who is nursing his own broken heart, and the two of them seem to click almost immediately on a professional level, but maybe they can both help each other in their quests for happiness and true love! Can he be her knight in shining armo
Carol W
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Cat works for a reclaimed builder's yard. Nothing glamorous and romantic about that but it is a job.
Cat, like every bride to be, has dreams on a grand scale and so when the phone call comes through to say she has won an all expenses paid wedding she is thrilled. Well, she would be if she hadn't just split with the groom, Jack.
She gets herself into a bit of a muddle when she doesn't come clean to Fanny at Supadoop Productions who are hosting the prize. It wouldn't hurt to just go and
Cathie Hartigan
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Right from the beginning I was beguiled by its charm and went to bed early so I could find out what would happen to Cat and Adam. Both suffering from the fallout of disastrous relationships they are determined not to enter another. But then, along comes someone who knows true love when she sees it. A fairy godmother? Well, she doesn't have wings, but she she's quite good at making wishes come true. One of the happiest books I've ever read with a real 'ahh' factor.
Nicki
Just finished this for the third time and it was just as good as the first time!

Loved this audiobook.
Just finished it and could listen to it all over again. Fanny Gregory of Super Dup Promotions was hilarious, my sweet, my angel! ☺
Anne
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
My 87 year old mother tells me that The Silver Locket (free on Kindle at time of writing) is one of the best books she's ever read - sadly I can't endorse that because the book (along with its sequels The Golden Chain and The Penny Bangle) is still languishing on my Kindle, awaiting its turn. But I was intrigued to see that Margaret James had written a book with a present day setting, read it in two sittings, and have to say I absolutely loved it.

Cat Aston wins a fairytale wedding in
Kelly Florentia
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A delightful rom-com set in London with a hint of Tuscan fever. We follow Cat Aston, who’s just lost a fiancé but won a dream wedding, on her intriguing journey. Simultaneously, we step into broken-hearted Adam Lawley’s life, a gorgeous, kind and generous tradesman (never thought I could find one), who’s just had his marriage proposal rejected by his girlfriend. Cat and Adam’s paths cross, but are they really made for each other?

I read the entire book with a smile on my face. It’s fu
Lizzie Lamb
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Let me start by saying how much I liked this novel. Having read (and enjoyed) the author's historical novels I wasn't sure what to expect - but I needn't have worried. She writes with a fresh, fast paced style and her voice throughout is spot on. Reading some of the reviews I see that some readers didn't like Fanny, but I loved her. I know people like her who sweep you along before you have time to gulp out: "Wait a minute" and you've been roped in to doing something you'd rather not. I enjoyed ...more
Yvonne Morgan
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Finished it this morning ....its a dream of a book....very easy flowing read,with great character..especially yummy Adam Lawley...recommended and chip as chips...ON THE KINDLE..
Not read anything by Margaret James before but will be taking a look at her books from now on........thanks for a fab read.x
Suzie Tullett
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Imagine winning the wedding of your dreams but your fiancé has done a runner. I loved this premise and couldn't wait to find out how Cat negotiated her way through such a dilemma. The Wedding Diary is a romantic, fun read, in which Margaret James has created a great set of characters. I particularly liked the Fairy Godmother, Fanny Gregory, whom I think deserves a book of her own!
Lindsay Hartgroves
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Liked this a lot. I felt that there were a few issues left unresolved. A few characters that could have been brought together to make a more satisfying ending. I thought it ended a bit abruptly. But, I still really enjoyed this book.
Louise
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fab storyline which kept me hooked. I just needed to know what was happening next. The story flowed well and kept my attention and there were a few twists which I didn't expect but love it all the same.
Rebecca
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
Brilliant chick lit, absolutely loved it
Lynda Mcdonald
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
really enjoyed this book. romance & comedy,what more could you want
Mishma
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5
Loved the style. This book had a lot of potential and could have been great, but lost it somewhere along the way and ended up being okay-ish. Didn't work out well, in my opinion.
June Jones
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lovely romance story.
Julie
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Acclaimed historical novelist Margaret James proves to be a contender to Sophie Kinsella’s chick lit crown with her first contemporary novel, The Wedding Diary!

After her handsome but feckless fiance walked out on her, all Cat Aston wanted to do was curl up on the sofa, eat her body weight in chocolate and wallow in self-pity. Jack had been the man of her dreams and Cat had spent the last couple of months fantasizing about her dream wedding and a blissful future with Jack. Sadly, her
Serendipity Reviews
May 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Originally published on www.serendipityreviews.co.uk
Imagine winning your dream wedding, only to discover you are now groomless! A frightening prospect for anyone, so it isn’t surprising that the main character Cat, panics just a little. She has always dreamed of the most amazing wedding, so you can’t blame her for going along with it, hoping that a groom might land in her lap from nowhere. How fortunate for her that one does and what a charmer he is.

The story appears in a calendar format rather than a diary, as each ne
Shaz Goodwin
Apr 27, 2013 rated it liked it
I don’t usually mention covers in my reviews but couldn’t resist! The cover is stunning. The butterflies , moon and stars sparkle and alongside the background midnight blue makes you want to pick it up and find out what’s between the pages.

It’s Saturday 23rd April Jack has gone off to find himself and Cat is alone when she receives the phone call to tell her she’s won first prize in the competition in which she entered months ago.

Adam Lawley proposes to pretentious girlfr
CoffeeTimeRomance andMore
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Receiving only sadness from the man she thinks she is going to marry, Catherine Aston is not interested in anyone but Jack. She is having a hard time putting her life together and guess what? She wins an all-inclusive wedding that compares to one of royalty. There is just one problem–there is no groom.

What can mend a broken heart? Life is dull and lifeless except when work comes into play. Adam Langley is frustrated with a proposal that seems to be more of a farce. How has he not see
Lisa
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book attracted me from the start with its cover. Until I found this publisher, Choc Lit publishing, I wasn’t really a chic lit kind of reader. I have to say so far I’ve not been disappointed with any of the authors I’ve come across and this book was no exception.

Cat Aston, entered a competition in a magazine and won her dream wedding, in a luxury country hotel with all the trimmings and a magazine photographic deal. Who wouldn’t want that? Only problem is that her fiancé has done a runner
Alison
This book reminded me a little of the film Sliding Doors, where Gwyneth Paltrow simultaneously lives two alternate versions of her life.

Cat works in an architectural savage yard as office manager. Her stand-up comedian boyfriend/fiancé has decided he doesn't want to get married and appears to have disappeared off the face of the earth. Which is unfortunate because Cat has won a dream wedding at a country house.

Adam is a builder/house restorer who proposed to his girlfrien
Megan Readinginthesunshine
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Cat Aston has won what many girls and women dream of – a fairytale wedding! However, there is one slight problem…Cat’s fiance Jack has dome a runner. Adam Lawley has been left similarly left devastated after his girlfriend turned down his proposal, leaving Adam vowing not to fall in love again. When Adam and Cat bump into each other, there seems to be an attraction, and although they are both broken hearted, they can’t stop thinking about each other. Will Cat and Adam be able to find happiness t ...more
Agi
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
4.5 stars.
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I was very interested by the title of this book, I am so not bridezilla myself and I just love to read about them, how they go crazy about their weddings and every teeny tiny detail is growing to almost unheard - of problem.
But actually here we don't have such thing. The idea of winning your dream wedding has hooked me from the very beginning, either you don't win anything or you win a wedding, with every
Celia
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Have posted this revciew on Amazon and also The Romaniacs' blog today - a fabulous read. This is one of those books that you keep on the shelf (or Kindle file) that’s specially reserved for comfort and joy reading. You must have one of those too – stories just sitting there waiting for that moment when you’ve got a horrible cold, or someone’s been mean to you, or life gives you an even bigger kick in the teeth.

I was having the first of these moments when I started reading the story of Cat and h
Elizabeth Ducie
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Margaret James doesn’t normally write modern-day chicklit and I don’t normally read modern-day chicklit (well not very often anyway), so we were both on new territory here. But you can’t go far wrong with a book opening with the line: “All chocolate is medicinal. It’s a well known fact.”

Cat wins a dream wedding day in a competition — just around the same time that her fiance Jack does a runner. Adam wants to marry Maddy — but she throws his proposal back in his face. So we have two charac
Rea Cobb
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was looking forward to starting The Wedding Diary by Margaret James with my wedding plans storming ahead I love falling into other peoples wedding worlds. This book follows Cat who has won a wedding of her dreams in a competition only problem is her groom Jack has gone walk about! Refusing to accept that he has gone Cat follows through with the meetings for the wedding and it is only when she meets Adam and she feels as though there is something between them that she breaks down and admits to ...more
Julie
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keep-to-re-read
Coming from a background of detective, historical, and fantasy reading I was a bit apprehensive about reading a romance set in contemporary times, especially when I saw one review call it a rom-com. But I'd read and thoroughly enjoyed some of Margaret James' historical novels, so I thought I'd give this one a try.

I wasn't disappointed! As I've come to expect from this author the characters are beautifully written, and I feel that over the course of the book I've really come to know t
Beadyjan
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
A romance of the highest standard I've come to expect from Choc-lit.

Cat and Adam meet at that unfortunate period in life when each is licking their wounds after the sudden ending of a relationship.

Finding romance is the last thing you need when you're pining for the love who left you and trying to think of ways to get them back.

To add insult to injury Cat finds ot she has won a dream wedding in a competition she entered when she was still with the unreliable Jack and she
Kate’s Book Spot
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was lucky enough to win a paperback copy of this book from a giveaway on Dizzy C’s Little Book Blog. I was instantly attracted by the sparkly cover (I’m a sucker for sparkly things) and I was keen to find out if the story lived up to its glittery clothing.

Once I began reading I was grabbed by the excitable writing and characters who I quickly connected with. There was a whirlwind of information which made me want to know even more about the situation so I had no choice but to keep

• The Daughter of Time (Inspector Alan Grant, #5)
  • The Railwayman's Wife
  • Trail of the Spellmans (The Spellmans, #5)
  • The Wonkiest Witch (Wonky Inn, #1)
  • The Last Word (The Spellmans, #6)
  • Fred & Edie
  • Honor Bound (The Witchblade Chronicles #1)
  • Scrapbooking Slaying (Missy DeMeanor #4)
  • Exercise Expired (Missy DeMeanor #6)
  • Clearing The Dark (Dania Gorska, #2)
  • The Last 10 Seconds (Tina Boyd #5)
  • The Gathering (Tropical Breeze #6)
  • Kiss of Crimson (Midnight Breed, #2)
  • Kiss of Midnight (Midnight Breed,  #1)
  • Midnight Awakening (Midnight Breed, #3)
  • Midnight Rising (Midnight Breed, #4)
  • Something Rotten (Thursday Next, #4)
  • Lost in a Good Book (Thursday Next, #2)
A pseudonym used by Pamela Bennetts.

Margaret James has been a member of the RNA for 22 years. She has written thirteen published novels, many short stories, and she also teaches creative writing for the London School of Journalism. Margaret's first novel was A Touch of Earth, a family saga set in Herefordshire where she was born and grew up, and her most recent is The Penny Bangle, set in Dorset

Charton Minster (7 books)
  • The Silver Locket (Charton Minster #1)
  • The Golden Chain (Charton Minster #2)
  • The Penny Bangle (Charton Minster #3)
  • Magic Sometimes Happens