Start by marking “Jquery: Novice to Ninja” as Want to Read:
Jquery: Novice to Ninja

Earle Castledine

Jquery: Novice to Ninja

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  501 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
jQuery: Novice to Ninja is a compilation of best-practice jQuery solutions to meet the most challenging JavaScript problems. In this question-and-answer book on jQuery, you'll find a cookbook of ready-to-go solutions to help breathe life into your web page.
Topics covered include: - Scrolling, Resizing and Animating Webpage elements - Backgrounds, Slideshows, and Crossfad
ebook
Published May 14th 2014 by Sitepoint (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Jquery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jquery

Anthony Papillion
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book last year when I finally decided to stop fighting progress and learn JQuery. Definitely a good, solid, introduction to the framework and got me up to speed very quickly. I wouldn't say it brought me to 'Ninja' level but it gave me a great JQuery foundation on which to build. Great book for someone with programming experience wanting to upgrade their skills with JQuery.
Samar Abd-el salam
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical
Simple and easy to understand. Very good for beginner who want to start leaning jQuery.
Arun Mahendrakar
This has been my first introduction to jQuery although I had some experience before. So this book gave me a pretty good overview on jQuery's capabilities. There's no way I can remember all the details given by the author just by one read, so I'm going to use it as a reference guide.

I was expecting a little more work/detail by the author on the chapter which talks about ajax/json calls. But it lays a foundation for the topic for the reader to build upon.
Bruce
May 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A guide to JQuery that does quite a bit of handholding. More experienced individuals will most likely skim it for ideas on what JQuery can do then keep it around for those times when you are could use an example or two on how to do something. The client conversation structure was a bit annoying. For me as someone who isn't a designer the book was "meh". A designer might find the pace much more suitable. I'll keep it around as a reference.
Davuth
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
are you new to jQuery? Then this book is strongly recommended. I really enjoyed reading this book. Despite that it's a programming book (which normally people suppose to be boring and geek-liked), the authors are really talent in making the reader enjoy the reading. I find it quite funny and relaxing!
Todd
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great starters book for jQuery. Wish I would have started with this one. It gets your hands dirty and hits the basics without going to deep into jQuery. I would start with this book and follow up with jQuery in action, 2nd edition.
Abbey
I heart jQuery! It makes Javascript accessible to masses of muddle-pated, middling-abled, middle-agers like me. I'll have to read several other tutorial/texts to understand it all, but this is a good intro.
Henrik
Jun 16, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
It's a nice book although it's not quite to "ninja" ... more like to "basic level". I got almost everything explained in the book from just skimming through API docs and playing with jQuery for a day. This is probably not for very advanced developers ;-)
Jake McCrary
Jun 11, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
Book was a good introduction to jQuery. I found myself skimming at parts simply because I didn't care about some aspects that it was showing. If I had more experiance with web development I probably would have given this book a higher rating.
Tung Dao
Not that Ninja but still useful.
Serge Boucher
Good intro.
Jason
Dec 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of great info, a little out of date with some of the functions but that is par for the course when it comes to programming books.
Katherine
Has some errors, of course. It's 2015!
Dgg32
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first ever web design book. Very funny language and it explains everything. A quick dive-in into the hit hot JQuery.
Harit Himanshu
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
As a novice, I was immediately benefited with the clear language and structure of the book, definitely recommended
Henrique Smoco
Bom para quem está começando com jQuery, mas a disposição do conteúdo dificulta a consulta posterior.
Ezekiel
Nice reference book for this framework
Matteo Tomasulo
Today jQuery is a fundamental part of web development.
I found this book complete, clear and rich of interesting real-world samples.
Sam Moore
Could have been a little more concise - the chatty tone adds nothing but fluff - but altogether a useful quick intro to the jQuery world.
Weslie Leung
Good for novice but I wouldn't say it would get you to ninja level.
Jansen
Aug 26, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computers
Good fast read, but hard to go back through and find the exact examples I was looking for - index and table of contents are not good for later reference.
Žiga Vukčevič
Very nice samples of working with jQuery.
Ryan Parman
Already knowing jQuery, this didn't help much. It'd be a good book for beginners, though.
David
  • HTML5 & CSS3 For The Real World
  • CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions
  • CSS: The Missing Manual
  • HTML5 for Web Designers
  • Pro Html5 Programming: Powerful APIs for Richer Internet Application Development
  • Bulletproof Web Design: Improving flexibility and protecting against worst-case scenarios with XHTML and CSS
  • JavaScript Patterns
  • Smashing WordPress: Beyond the Blog
  • jQuery in Action
  • Sexy Web Design
  • The CSS Anthology
  • Designing With Web Standards
  • HTML5: Up and Running: Dive into the Future of Web Development

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »