Start by marking “Java, a Beginner's Guide, 5th Edition” as Want to Read:
Java, a Beginner's Guide, 5th Edition

Java, a Beginner's Guide, 5th Edition

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  244 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Essential Java programming skills made easyFrom Herb Schildt, the number-one programming author worldwide, comes this fully revised and updated introductory Java guide. You will get all the information you need to get up and running with the latest version of the most popular Web programming language. Java 7: A Beginner's Guide, Fifth Edition will have you programming in J ...more
Published September 10th 2011 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published November 25th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Java, a Beginner's Guide, 5th Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Java, a Beginner's Guide, 5th Edition

Sergey
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People wanting to learn Java
Shelves: sw-dev
An excellent book to start learning Java. The author iteratively walks you through the language-specific concepts and explains the object-oriented philosophy behind Java. This is the only book about Java I've read so far and I'm glad I chose it over other beginner-level books. I was able to apply the knowledge and already got my first (however small) application running in production.
Mostafa Nasiri
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer-science
Perfect book for beginners who want to learn Java deeply and completely understand the ins and outs of the language. If you already know a programming language and want to learn Java, this is the book for you. If you don't have no experience in programming and want to learn Java, this is the book for you.
Mikhail GEYER
Not very interesting, expected better.
Do not give good introduction to real needs to start programming Java. No words about Lists, Collections, streams, maps etc and other useful things. Though quite simple but not very efficient/laconic book.
Narender
Mary
Overall I wasn't pleased. There are some great things here, but too many important topics are glossed over or missing from this to be a good beginner's book. As a person who has known Java since it's first days, I too overlooked much of this on my first read as I chose this for my beginning Java book at a tech college. However the confusion from my students quickly made me aware of all of the book's short comings. The examples were not clear or focused enough and the explanations assumed backgro ...more
Devin Harris
I just received this book from amazon. It's a very well written book. It has a lot of information in it to get started with programming. This book is directed for beginners in programming. no matter your skill level you will get a lot of information from this book. Every chapter starts with key concepts and goals that the author will try to present to you so you can learn. It has self exercises and self tests to test your knowledge. The book itself (the covers) in my opinion is aesthetically ple ...more
Miguel Vargas
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly I skipped three chapters, but I consider this book is a good reference. However, the examples are really simple, so it would be great to add some explanations when to use or not to use the concepts explained. Sincerely I have to admit that Java Head First is a much better book and also more entertaining.
Nimrod Daniel
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer-science
I finished the book a long time ago (Except for a chapter that doesn't deal with core Java). I've some background in programming, but not OOP, so the first parts were somewhat boring. But still, I learned a lot. The book is quite good as an introduction book with helpful code examples, though sometimes it feels somewhat repetitive.

4-4.25/5
Mike Salamida
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
came across an old folder of class assignments and remembered how well-written and edited this book is. great resource filled with numerous easy-to-understand working examples of every concept the author wishes to teach. ... this text was used in UC Berkeley Extension's beginning Java course, equally as thorough and appropriate for the absolute newb.
Martin Ryba
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: OOP newcomers
Years after reading this book, I have to say - author explained all the OOP concepts very well. I learned my OOP foundation in this book and after several classes I realized how many good habits I picked up without even thinking about it!
Joel Land
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I had to learn Java and complete a series of somewhat complicated security programs all in a month's time. I went from zero experience with Java (though some knowledge of C/C++) to fully competent in the two weeks I spent with this book. Highly recommended!
Shane Vanhull
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good overview of Java. Very general coverage of everything. Gives you just enough knowledge to write basic programs and the ability to know where to look in the API for the more complex classes and methods you need as you advance.
Ferry
Sep 07, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
start for learning java language
Alex Murygin
Nov 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thing it's a good book for beginner.
Khalil
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
incredible book , read it with JAVA the complete reference
Dmitriy Chaban
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: java
Sixth edition of this book is awesom. I've started reading this and was excited how awesome this book is. There's a lot of information that newbie needs, really.
Ooree
Dec 30, 2012
Adam J. Foxson
Nov 27, 2014
Naveen Mysterio
Sep 17, 2014
Keiran
rated it did not like it
Aug 05, 2017
  • Google Hacks: Tips & Tools for Finding and Using the World's Information
  • L'elenco telefonico di Atlantide
  • La puissance d'exister: Manifeste hedoniste
  • Persuasive Technology: Using Computers to Change What We Think and Do
  • Learning PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript: A Step-By-Step Guide to Creating Dynamic Websites
  • The Nun's Tale (Owen Archer, #3)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Best-selling author Herbert Schildt has written extensively about the Java, C++, C, and C# programming languages. His books have sold millions of copies worldwide and have been widely translated. Herb's books have been used in education, corporate training, and individual study.
Although he is interested in all facets of computing, Herb's primary focus is computer languages, especially the standard
More about Herbert Schildt...

“Java Applets” 0 likes
“For example, consider a stack (which is a first-in, last-out list). You might have a program that requires three different types of stacks. One stack is used for integer values, one for floating-point values, and one for characters. In this case, the algorithm that implements each stack is the same, even though the data being stored differs. In a non-object-oriented language, you would be required to create three different sets of stack routines, with each set using different names. However, because of polymorphism, in Java you can create one general set of stack routines that works for all three specific situations. This way, once you know how to use one stack, you can use them all. More generally, the concept of polymorphism is often expressed by the phrase “one interface, multiple methods.” This means that it is possible to design a generic interface to a group of related activities. Polymorphism helps reduce complexity by allowing the same interface to be used to specify a general class of action.” 0 likes