Start by marking “The Crazy Man” as Want to Read:
The Crazy Man

The Crazy Man

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  491 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
It is 1965, and twelve-year-old Emaline lives on a wheat farm in southern Saskatchewan. Her family has fallen apart. When her beloved dog, Prince, chased a hare into the path of the tractor, she chased after him, and her dad accidentally ran over her leg with the discer, leaving her with a long convalescence and a permanent disability. But perhaps the worst thing from Emal ...more
Published June 30th 2006 by Groundwood Books (first published July 31st 2005)

cat
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this in elementary school ages ago and just recently saw a book cover that reminded me of this which is what brought me here. I recall this book being so poetic and really excellent. I definitely would recommend this, and I'm going to reread it again soon.
Dani
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Poignant and mesmerizing. I think this is the most affecting, original YA book I've read this year.
Samira
Jan 06, 2014 added it

The Crazy Man by Pamela Porter
A twelve year old girl broke her foot, watched her dad killed her only friend her pet dog right before her eyes and had her father leave her, all in the same day. Her mother and her didn't know where her father went or how they would support themselves and farm without a man figure in their home anymore. Not too far from their house was a mental institute where many unwanted crazy people lived. One day, a crazy man came to help and be the male figure in the girls li
Rachel
Nov 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
Sad, disturbing themes imparted by appealingly poetic prose and etched with slivered glimmers of metamorphic compassion and understanding. A cheerlessly contemplative book. (Minor pet peeve--when the illustrator pays no attention to vivid details. The man on the cover should have flaming red hair.)
Sheri
Jan 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle
A wonderful story set in small town Saskatchewan in the 1960's. Written in free verse adds a certain lightness to the sad circumstances in the story line. Would recommend this especially to anyone born and raised on the prairies.
Mathew
What do you think you are, for Chrissake, crazy or somethin'? Well you're not! You're not! You're no crazier than the average asshole out walkin' around on the streets and that's it.
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (McMurphy)

Canadian novelist and poet, Pamela Porter, has written a novel in prose which tells the story of a twelve year old Emaline who, after a hideous accident which resulted in the death of her dog and her father’s abandonment, is left with her mother to run the farm in order to s
Kathy
Beth
Jul 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Emaline is a twelve year old girl growing up on a wheat farm in Saskatchewan, Canada. She is an only child with a mother, father, and dog named Prince. One tragic day Emaline’s dog Prince runs behind the tractor that Emaline and her father are riding on in the fields. The dog was furiously chasing a rabbit and Emaline tried to stop him but feel off the tractor. Her foot was severed and could not be repaired. Her father in his grief killed the dog and then left the family for good. Emaline and he ...more
Emma
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure what I really liked about this book. I just found that every day (we read this in class and were limited to only a few pages each day) I wanted to read more. So much more. The book isn't stunningly written. It isn't a complicated piece of fiction. It's simple and true. I think what I really loved about it was Angus. I loved how he seemed like a loyal, great friend. But above all, I wanted to stand up for Angus, stand up against Harry Record and the other people in the town who are c ...more
Grace
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: meh, verses, reviewed
When I read this book over one and a half year ago, I absolutely loved it. I found it beautiful, finely crafted, and mesmerizing. I would've given it 5 stars. Well, my book tastes have changed over time, and unfortunately, "The Crazy Man" is no longer one of my favorite books.

I think the only thing I still enjoyed about this book was Angus. I loved seeing him develop as a character, and I loved his personality and the fact that he sensed people's auras. Also, the setting is quite nice. I really
Cathryn Wellner
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels
The friend who loaned me this book knew I would find it to be a hopeful story. She was right. In writing that is spare yet evocative, Pamela Porter tells the story of a family in grief, with a father who has abandoned them and a mother determined to hang onto the farm he never really wanted. Emmaline, the child who nearly lost her foot in a farming accident and who lost her dog when her father shot it in a fit of guilt and despair, tells the story through the details of her life.

Trouble dogs the
Jeana Wert
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was probably one of the best books i have ever read. The beginning of the story was so sad when Emaline's dog ran towards the tractor and in her attempt to save him, she jumped off and sliced her leg wide open. I could really put myself in her shoes because i would have done the same thing. I was so upset when i continued reading that her father shot the dog and killed it, out of anger. After the accident, Emaline's father left her family because he blamed himself for the accident. Emaline' ...more
Thanujan Tharma
Nov 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: nov-2012, dec-2012
This book is about a girl named Emaline who is a 12 year old girl who works on a farm in Saskatchewan,Canada.1 One day Prince, Emalines dog was chasing a rabbit behind a tractor that Emaline and her father were riding and Emaline tried to stop Prince but she fell off the tractor and her foot almost cut was cut off and couldnt be fixed.2 In sorrow, her father killed Prince and left Emaline and her mother.3 Emalines mother in desperation of help around the farm so they hired a previous mental inst ...more
Tianna
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was wary about reading this book....mainly because of it's strange, poetic, layout. Even the first few pages seemed a bit too weird and sort of unrealistic to me....but I really did enjoy it in the end!!
I liked the characters and how they learnt and grew. I liked how forgiveness was added in, and that we can learn something from anyone, no matter their social label or...mental capacity...we can learn from them. I really liked that aspect!
I enjoyed the main character Emmaline.....she was strong
Vicki
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tween
When Emaline saves her dog Prince from being run over by a tractor driven by her father, Emaline foot is nearly cut off in the process. This being the strraw that broke the camels back, her father shoots and kills Prince, the walks away from the farm. In desparation, Emaline mother hires a man from the local mental hospital, everyone intown seems to have an opinion on him and the crop he is plating. Prejudic- Great written in a different form
Sandy Brehl
Set in Canadian wheat farm country, this novel-in-verse begins with a stark and shocking accident, followed by tragic parental decisions, played out in a community of varying attitudes, mainly negative, regarding residents of the nearby mental institute. The verse allows time and space for the characters, relationships, and insights to unfold over the course of several seasons. Memorable and powerful, and timely for anti-bullying awareness discussions.
Calista
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful book about farming, Saskatchewan, the 60s, mental health, family, and friendship. I can't believe I hadn't read this book before!
Maggie
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK! In the midst of all of the tragedy that takes place, there are so many positive things children can take from it! I connected this book because I'm a special education major and have a calling to working with people who society calls "different." I love the resilience in this book. MUST READ.
Hannah
Written in poetry, the storyline of Emaline's life after her father leaves the farm is gripping. She wrestles with the question of who is crazy and what makes someone crazy when a resident from the local Mental Institution works for her family. The story allowed me to reflect on the "crazy" people in my life.
Rhiannon20
Jun 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I liked the plot of this book, the characters were good, the poem format of this book was mildly annoying, but also understandable. I just didn' like what happened to the dad at the end, as I thought he would come back (the book seems to de leaning that way) and was disappointed when he didn't. But it was also good and sad/happy at the end.
Megan Mccale
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jane-addams
This book teaches children to accept any person no matter what. Although Angus was shown to be dangerous Emaline and her mother gave him a chance. Angus helped Emaline in so many positive ways. I would recommend this book to older children.
Catherine  Mustread
Jun 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Grades 4+
Recommended to Catherine by: Governor General
Problems on the Canadian prairie after a farm accident changes the dynamics of Emaline's family and community. Written in verse, this book reminded me of Karen Hesse's Out of the Dust. Well done.
Alex Levy
Oct 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have read this book twice, In grade 6 and grade 7. Written in poetry format, it was a really fast read.
I really enjoyed the story line and I really enjoyed the little girl who the story was about.
Jayden Preston-Hopkins
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I remember reading this book in grade school, and I remember the moment I fell in love with both the novel and the hunger to read even more. This book was a very good experience for younger me, and opened my curiosity to books with deeper topics and more challenging aspects.
Steffaney Smith
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Bleak Saskatchewan in the sixties; Emmaline suffers a disfiguring farm accident. As if life weren't hard enough for her mother and her, dad feels guilty and leaves. A local mental patient helps plant and harvest...written in verse form. All about acceptance...for herself, from her neighbors, etc.
Brittany
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING book :P
Feb 19, 2013 rated it liked it
My daughter was reading this in her class. I thought I'd give it a read too. I nice book on themes of acceptance, forgiveness, and that introduces mental illness to young readers.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This novel in verse deals with prejudice against the mentally ill in early 1960s Canada.
Mrs. Ruigrok
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
an amazing read with so many important messages......
Tazerthecat
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Yeit
RDNG 636 Fall 2015: The Crazy Man 1 2 Oct 18, 2015 05:53PM
  • Gemini Summer
  • The Landing
  • Odin's Promise (Odin's Promise, #1)
  • Sweetgrass Basket
  • The Way a Door Closes
  • The Shepherd's Granddaughter
  • New Shoes
  • Benno and the Night of Broken Glass
  • Eye of the Crow (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • Some of the Kinder Planets: Stories
Born in Albuquerque, New Mexico, on July 14, 1956, Pamela Porter of Sidney, B.C., has also lived in Texas, Louisiana, Washington, and Montana. Her husband's family has operated a family farm near Weyburn, Saskatchewan, for generations, and Pamela’s family goes to Saskatchewan every summer to work on the farm.

Having gained her undergraduate English degree from Southern Methodist University in Dall
More about Pamela Porter

Young Adult Deals

• A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • This Is the Story of You
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Don't Get Caught
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • So B. It
    $6.74 $1.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Girls on Fire
  • Before Goodbye
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Shadow Bright and Burning (Kingdom on Fire, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Frostblood (Frostblood Saga, #1)
  • Kat and Meg Conquer the World
  • What to Say Next
  • We Are Okay
    $10.99 $2.99
  • By Your Side
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Run (Kaitan Chronicles, #1)
  • The Memory Book
  • Holding Up the Universe
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
  • Salt to the Sea
  • The Truth Beneath the Lies
  • Now Is Everything
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Reader (Sea of Ink and Gold)
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire
  • If There's No Tomorrow
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Words on Bathroom Walls
  • American Street
  • The Love Letters of Abelard and Lily
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy #1)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Forest of a Thousand Lanterns (Rise of the Empress #1)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Hunted
  • Words in Deep Blue
  • Daughter of the Burning City
  • Wax
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Delphi Effect (The Delphi Trilogy #1)
  • The Pants Project