Start by marking “Healthy at 100: The Scientifically Proven Secrets of the World's Healthiest and Longest-Lived Peoples” as Want to Read:

In this revolutionary book, bestselling author John Robbins presents us with a bold new paradigm of aging, showing us how we can increase not only our lifespan but also our health span. Through the example of four very different cultures that have the distinction of producing
Published September 12th 2006 by Random House (first published January 1st 2006)

Geoffrey Kleinman
Feb 02, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Die Hard fans of John Robbins
I really wanted to like this book. John Robbins 'Diet for a New America' was very influential on my journey towards being Vegan. Healthy at 100 does have its heart in the right place. The problem is that it probably would have made a better magazine article than book. Robbins repeats himself over and over and over again. Sections end with long 'to do lists' which feel like brainstorming notes and the end takeaway is pretty simple: eat veg, connect with the community, get exercise, find purpose a ...more
Pink
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was fine, but could have been more succinct. Basically do all the things that you probably already know are good for you. Live amongst your extended family. Preferably in a stress free environment. Laugh often. Walk lots. Eat less. Mainly a plant and grain based diet. Done.
Pat
Feb 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What sets this book apart from most books on health is that the last third of the book focuses on how strong interpersonal relationships are more of a determiner of health as we age than smoking or poor diets! Here's a favorite..

Four hugs a day are necessary for survival, eight a day for maintenance, twelve for growth!
In the four healthiest cultures, "Instead of going shopping, they go visit one another"

In a heart disease study it was found that men who used the first-person pronouns the most o
Jesse
Sep 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Nothing has inspired me to eat better and live better more than this book.
Sally
Apr 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
Enjoyable reading, solid research, good end-notes, great book.

I like how he put Weston Price in perspective. Either people revere him or discredit him. Robbins acknowledges that he made great observations, but had rather limited exposure to the peoples he visited, so it's not completely solid "science." Dr Price's suggestions are great ideas, but should be balanced with other great ideas. Use what works for you.

The chapter that blew me away was "Breaking Free from the Cultural Trance, or the rea
Shel
Mar 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Live longer and healthier via diet and lifestyle.

Eat vegetables — Dean Ornish, Joel Furhman, Caldwell Esselstyn, T. Colin Campbell, and John McDougall.

Volunteer, maintain strong social ties, act in love and compassion—Mother Teresa, Karen Armstrong, and Dame Cicely Mary Saunders.

Add John Robbins'Healthy at 100 to the cannon of books/voices urging us to eschew the Standard American Diet (SAD) and live longer in great health. In addition, Robbins' makes a case against our society's toxic ageism.
Kevin
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
This is one of the few books I come across that deserves 5 stars. I am happy that Robbins mentioned the village of Vilcabamba in Ecuador. I've known about the longevity of their people for a long time. The differences among cultures is astounding. With regards to stress, (and the fact that so many people in my industrialized culture are overfed, overmedicated, and overstressed) my favorite passage from the book is as follows:

Pages 34-35: ...a mystic from India who was introduced to New York City
Dawn
Jan 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most beautiful and positive books I've ever read. Anybody and everybody should read it - I think there is something in it that will appeal to each person on this planet.

The theme of the book comes down to this: getting old should not be scary, and should nt be treated as something to fear. Each one of us can prevent the mental and physical deterioration that is often associated with getting old by simply eating well, exercising, and surrounding ourselves with people we love a
Michael
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The son of Baskin-Robins, wrote a book on health. Yeah, he exposes the dangers of unhealthy eating, and lifestyles. A great read and motivator.

Publisher's Summary
Why do some people age in failing health and sadness, while others grow old with vitality and joy? In this revolutionary audiobook, best-selling author John Robbins presents us with a bold new paradigm of aging, showing us how we can increase not only our lifespan but also our health span.
Through the example of four very different cult
Jill
Sep 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I fully understand that putting this one out there officially qualifies me as OLD, but this book was fascinating and illuminating, throwing the paradigm of old = lame right out the window. I picked it up at my parents house, thumbed through it and couldn't put it down. Christina, this was the book we talked about at dinner. Worth a read!
Pennyjar
fascinating and so simple...really loved the notion that it is as much our cultural paradigm that aging is a bad thing, as anything we eat or do that affects how we age.
Thom
Dec 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Really enjoyed this book. Lots of solid references in the back also. How to be healthy at 100? Eat fresh vegetables, sing and dance, and generally be positive. :)
Zolla
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
I would change the title. It is not a book about how to live to be 100, but how to live well as long as you are alive. How we treat one another is just as important to health and longevity as diet and exercise. There is no fountain of youth, but we can make a difference in ourselves and our world by making wise choices. I wish everyone would read this book. John Robbins' compassionate heart shines through every page. He introduces us to societies that have known how to live well, and as a result ...more
Neil Gaudet
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's unfortunate that this book won't be widely read by the young. Within it is a blueprint for how to live life fully. There is no neglecting food, exercise or love and community in the approach offered. I suppose some will criticize it as idealistic and naive but they are missing the point. Amazing book
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
It was especially interesting to me to learn about some little-known cultures and their simple lifestyles. Robbins can be a little wordy at times, and a tad too "New Agey" for me, but he comes from the heart, and the information is valuable.
Michael
Feb 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Eye opener book for me about nutrition and health. After reading the book, I changed my diet.
Lorilee
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
The only reason this didn't get my five-star rating is because I knew most of the information due to my health coach emphasis, training, and study. Still, it is an excellent compilation, certainly as a review or for someone knew to eating healthy. Robbins takes an objective view and reports on research as well as story-telling from the people he met as he wrote this book. One chapter I enjoyed was toward the end of the book. It was on consuming epa and dha. As a plant eater, I appreciated his ex ...more
Stephan
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
What can be learned from three different societies who maintained a plant based diet, daily movement/exercise, and not giving to much thought to amassing wealth? How to live past 100. I really enjoyed reading this book because America is clearly operating a faulty system. We have allowed corporations and big pharma rule our lives just so we can make money at jobs we hate to afford stuff we don't need. Get outside, play with your kids, focus on what you shove into your mouth.
Shane
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health, owned-by-me
Great book if you're interested in the kinds of things that contribute to longevity. And not just longevity, but qualities of life that make life worth living that long. It did seem to go a bit lengthy in parts, which is the only reason I gave it four stars instead of five, but hey, if I'm living to 100, I have a little more time to read the lengthy parts. Definitely worth reading.
Darnell
Mar 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Better than expected - though it does venerate the various groups somewhat, it's also up front about the biases of some of the researchers and how many numbers are exaggerated. The rest of the information is more of the usual, but there were still useful details.
Thomas Baylem
Feb 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Definitely some good stuff here, but overly long and quite repetitive.
Anna
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
Started out strong then slowly slipped into cheesy anecdotes. Still inspiring though; learning about the different cultures' diets and attitudes toward aging was definitely my favorite part!
Joanna Branson
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, and felt very hopeful that I can make some shifts in my nutrition and lifestyle and increase the likelihood of living to be 100+ An exciting and encouraging read!
Robert Fox
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Must read for anyone interested in longevity and good health. Robbins backs up the claims with cold hard evidence and many examples of people living to 100 with great energy.
Katherine Reece
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Proof that we can live great lives, healthy lives, for many many years.
Chunchun
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
饮食、运动和好的情感是长寿秘籍
John Richards
Aug 19, 2018 rated it liked it
enjoyed anthropologist views that a plant based diet is responsible for incredible longevity in pockets around the world.
Stephanie
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great information and lots of good ideas here.
A good choice for everyone's personal library.
Highly recomended.
Amanda
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Here's the short version of my review:
I highly recommend his to everyone. It's not just about eating good food and being fit, but about having loving relationships and contributing to your community and society. Feeling like you are loved and that you matter and have a purpose. Excellent book that also reminds us that we should be ashamed of the way we treat elderly people in this country.

The longer version:
Robbins is a near-vegan, and the societies he chose for this book reflect that. There are
Jack
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robbins takes on health and nutrition from a distinctive but ultimately essential angle. 'Healthy at 100' examines the remarkable longevity and health of four relatively small communities: the Okinawans of Japan, the Hunzans of Pakistan, the Vilcambans of Ecuador, and the Abkhasians of the Caucasus Mountains. All have stunned scientists over the course of the 20th century for the high number of centenarians in their communities, all of whom were vibrant, active, and 100% healthy. Their prosperit ...more
  • The Thrive Diet
  • The McDougall Program: 12 Days to Dynamic Health
  • Your Body's Many Cries for Water: You Are Not Sick, You Are Thirsty: Don't Treat Thirst With Medications
  • The Okinawa Program: How the World's Longest-Lived People Achieve Everlasting Health--And How You Can Too
  • Food and Healing: How What You Eat Determines Your Health, Your Well-Being, and the Quality of Your Life
  • Disease-Proof Your Child: Feeding Kids Right
  • The Hundred-Year Lie: How Food and Medicine Are Destroying Your Health
  • The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth: The Surprising, Unbiased Truth about What You Should Eat and Why
  • Digestive Wellness: How to Strengthen the Immune System and Prevent Disease Through Healthy Digestion
  • Eat, Drink, and Weigh Less
  • The Blue Zones: Lessons for Living Longer From the People Who've Lived the Longest
  • The 80/10/10 Diet: Balancing Your Health, Your Weight, and Your Life, One Luscious Bite at a Time
  • Ultrametabolism: The Simple Plan for Automatic Weight Loss
  • The Spectrum: A Scientifically Proven Program to Feel Better, Live Longer, Lose Weight, and Gain Health
  • Eating Well for Optimum Health
  • Food for Life: How the New Four Food Groups Can Save Your Life
  • Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills
  • Green for Life
John Robbins is an American author, who popularized the links among nutrition, environmentalism, and animal rights. He is the author of the 1987 Diet for a New America, an exposé on connections between diet, physical health, animal cruelty, and environmentalism.

Robbins is the son of Irma Robbins and Baskin-Robbins co-founder Irv Robbins. He graduated from the University of California, Berkeley, in
“Gross National Happiness is more important than Gross Domestic Product. attr to Buthan's King Jigme Singye Wangchuck” 4 likes
“The Pygmies and the Bushmen, these oldest of all peoples, remind us that our capacities for mutuality, cooperation, and empathy are every bit as real and every bit as much a part of our humanity as our capacities for greed, competition, and exclusiveness. Raising their children with unlimited respect and treating each person as having infinite worth, they have survived longer than any other culture known to science.” 3 likes