Start by marking “The Diggers Are Coming!” as Want to Read:
The Diggers Are Coming!

The Diggers Are Coming!

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  100 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Published August 27th 2013 by Frances Lincoln Children's Bks (first published November 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Diggers Are Coming!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Diggers Are Coming!

deborah
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great collage images made from ripped paper; super rhythmic rhyming text. Fun to read. Full of construction vehicles, so it's a hit. My only issue is that it assumes demolition and suburbs. Where are the construction books that teach renovation and preservation and sustainable living?
Jennifer Heise
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nice, basic, construction site book for ages 3-6. Nice use of action and sound words, word art, and repetitive pattern of "The [X] are coming! The [X] are coming!" = wreckers, planners, bulldozers, diggers, tippers, mixers, trucks, builders, cranes, rollers, vans, people... to show the process of building what appears to be a small development/subdivision. Flat-perspective painted illustrations may play well with younger children. Good for working on sequencing, and for discussing details with t ...more
Kathryn Cunningham
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
When a new construction project needs to get underway, it takes an army of people and machines, working together, to get the job done. Wreckers and planners, mixers and tippers, bulldozers and cranes all show up and do their thing. "They shave and shift and shove," "they tumble and twist and turn," and "they rattle and roll and roar." With all that racket and jumble of activity, it's hard to imagine anything actually getting built! But in construction, you have to create a little chaos before yo ...more
Heather
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
As the mom of a vehicle-obsessed preschooler, I can tell you with utter confidence that most picture books about heavy equipment totally suck. In fact, I wish my library would impose a borrowing limit of no more than two vehicle-related picture books at any time. So imagine my happiness to find a book that goes beyond lame cartoons or photographs of diggers, with bland and clunky prose describing how they work. This book is a joy to look at and read. Susan Stegall uses paper collage to create vi ...more
Janet
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a great truck/machine book with a story line which actually allows one to see what the different machines do and how a new community of houses is built. The words for the actions of the machines are spot on and the text placement which sometimes wraps around the machine parts engages one to look at the individual parts of the machine.
Karen
Apr 30, 2014 rated it liked it
My son picked this book out from the library this week. It was a bit of a disappointment.

I did like the first lines, and the alliteration, but the rhyming scheme was so clunky and awkward that I didn't even realize it was there at first. The dull word choice tipped me off to the attempted rhymes within the lines.

The illustrations were fine, but nothing to get excited over.

Samantha
Sep 24, 2013 rated it liked it
The diggers are coming! The diggers are coming! In this cumulative tale each machine adds something to the final project: a new neighborhood for people to live!

Alliterative text is positioned in and around the artwork. The refrain brings to mind the historical quote: "The British are coming! The British are coming!" Torn paper collage illustrations. PreK-2.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picturebook
A great book for story times for its repetition, rhyme and topic, but otherwise, meh. The collages and font placement make the picturebook dynamic on the whole, which easily reflects the progression of contruction. Most of the rhymes flow easily, but some of them are too stileted for me to give it 3 stars.
Rowan
Jun 28, 2015 rated it liked it
While Rowan doesn't particularly love construction and equipment, we checked this book out for my nephew and she likes to sit and look at the pictures while it's being read. From a parental perspective, it's got relatively simple text but it is written in a way that it fits into the pictures instead of being imposed on top of them so it is definitely interesting to look at.
Jen
Sep 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: pb
enjoyed the collage style illustrations. I feel like this summer doing "Dig Into Reading" has left me inundated with construction themed books. There are so many of them out there. This is just another one, albeit a tad long. (although the timeline of events and the explanations are nice).
D'Anne
Jun 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
I sure read a lot of books about diggers these days. My son thought this book was okay. He didn't love it, but he did want to read it more than once and picked it out at the library by himself. The illustrations are pretty cool. The text is good for super early readers.
Mary
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
It seems like every other week, there's a new picture book about construction. Fortunately, most of the recent ones are pretty good. This one is no exception. I really liked the detailed collages and the alliterative, rhyming text.
Jill Cd
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, 2014-15
Good book for younger kids (pre-k and k) who love trucks.
Marina
Oct 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Different but good illustrations. The words wrapped around the illustrations made it harder to read.
Alvana
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Both my 4-yr-old & 2-yr-old loved this!
Bonnie
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Rhyming, building and construction vehicles. What more could a vehicle loving little one ask for. It made mine VERY happy!
Jason
I wasn't particularly impressed, but my boys were intensely intersted in learning about big construction trucks. The book does a decent job of ifusing a rhyming scheme and some kind of narrative.
Aiden
Oct 05, 2015 rated it liked it
A gift from Nana.
Christie Angleton
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: construction
I would have liked to give this five stars, but I was really disappointed to see virtually no women represented at the work site. Isn't the author/illustrator a woman?!
H
Feb 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Ehh
Susan
Fun language play in this construction themed book about the building of an apartment building. Sure to be hit with the construction crazed preschool set!
Wendy Kuzma
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: trucks, picture-books
Fun use of language with lots of great sound words.
Vicki
Mar 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, pre-school
This book will be poured over by all construction equipment lovers. The illustrations are very colorful and tie in with the alliterative text to tell this story.
Krystal
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: liam-mason-books
My 3 year old loved the illustrations but reading it was a bit all over the place.
Amber Lund
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
The text is too busy and sometimes obscured.
Sanne Bosse