Start by marking “Fabio's Italian Kitchen” as Want to Read:
Fabio's Italian Kitchen

Fabio's Italian Kitchen

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  129 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
When Fabio Viviani was growing up in a housing project in Florence, Italy, the center of his world was the kitchen, where his mother, grandmother, and especially his great-grandmother instilled in him a love for cooking and good food.

Now he shares the best of Italian home cooking while telling the story of his hardscrabble childhood, his success as a chef in the United St
Published April 23rd 2013 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Fabio's Italian Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fabio's Italian Kitchen

Cheryl
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wanted to check out Fabio’s Italian Kitchen cookbook because one I am familiar with who he is and two…me and my husband love to eat Italian food. Of course just like most American’s it is the “fake” Italian food that you get in the cans and off the store shelves. Then you come home throw the pasta in boiling water and heat up the pasta sauce. So after getting a copy of this cookbook, I am very excited to start learning how to make “real” Italian food. Plus, the tips and notes that Fabio gave t ...more
Ann Marie
Wonderful cookbook! Italian food that's down to earth and a great story. What's not to love.
Connie
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As I browsed the cookbook section on my local library again, Fabio’s Italian Kitchen by Fabio Viviani jumped into my hands. I like it so much I’m actually thinking about buying my own copy, which is quite a statement given my 7-year moratorium on bringing more books to live permanently in my small house. Remember Fabio from the fifth season of Top Chef? He didn’t win but was voted “Fan Favorite.” He’s from Florence, Italy, has a heart-searing Italian accent, twinkly eyes, a wicked sense of humor ...more
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
I can't say that I'm all that familiar with Fabio Viviani. I don't have satellite or cable so I don't watch television and I've never seen him cook on television. I did, however, enjoy his cookbook. The book is full of history, explanations and anecdotes. The recipes range from preparing basic pasta and sauces to more involved recipes. I have quite a few marked to try. I have always wanted to make my own pastas.

I loved his narration. Food is to be enjoyed, it is not meant to impress. Family dinn
Naomi
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5/5 Stars

Interesting cookbook. I have pulled several recipes from it, but I won't eat a number of the meats that were featured due to my own eating habits. Also,as to be expected, there is a large focus on fish/seafood recipes. My favorite part of the book is that there are a number of homemade pasta recipes involved that the author offered step by step photos to help the home cook. I do believe due to the difficulties of the recipes in this book it is much more for an experience cook versus a
Anne Fabing
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Fabio is amusing as always. The book is filled with real everyday recipes and tips, intersperced with his usual humor. My all time favorite Top Chef contestant cooks with a reflection to his childhood memories of his favorite foods. "My food is meant to be made and eaten. That's it. It's not meant to impress, it's meant to feed people." It's one of the few cookbooks I've chosen to purchase, keep and use. But the book is worth a read if only for the stories he relates of him as ...more
Katy
May 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
If you watched Top Chef Season 5 or Top Chef All Stars, then you probably love Fabio Viviani. This is his cookbook. I don't think I'd make any of the stuff in it, but some of the names of the recipes are hilarious and charmingly weird, just like Fabio himself: "Broken Potatoes with Burnt Lemon and Parmesan," "Roasted Old Ladies (Roasted Vegetables)," and my favorite, "Leeks Tucked in Bed with Prociutto." Of course, Fabio. Whatever you say.
Charcoal
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
Most of the recipes in this book look like a lot of work, and are not for the faint of heart. I was also a little offended that the author stated, on the page that contained the risotto recipe, that someone who minded standing in front of the stove for a while adding broth to the risotto didn't deserve to be able to eat risotto.
Lisa
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
what can i say this is going to be one that i buy everything looked really good and easy to make i want to make and eat everything real italian food that doesn't have too many ingredients that i don't eat. yum!!!
Heather
May 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Meh.
Marc
Aug 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Great family stories growing up poor in Italy with recipes that mostly sound delicious (except for tripe. Not eating that).
Victoria
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Filled with easy delicious Italian treats that make your mouth oh so happy.
And he shares lots of interesting tips. Gets used a lot at our house in the cooler months.
Jaclyn
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, top-chef
Amazing book with familiar, resteraunt quality recipes... Highly recommend it
Liza
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, fun, non-fic, cookbooks
I might need to buy this one.
Grace
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I've loved Fabio's recipes from Chow Ciao and his website. His cookbook is simple, the stories throughout are nice and in his voice.
Holly
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love a cookbook that has stories paired along side recipes, and Fabio's book is a great mix of the two. I enjoyed Fabio when he was on Top Chef, and I continue to like him in this book!
Cindy Kleback
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Delicious sounding family recipes and lovely family stories.
Lynn Marie
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Even if the recipes were not awesome, reading this book would have been worth it just for the deer butchering story.
clay benton