Start by marking “Joshua Dread (Joshua Dread, #1)” as Want to Read:
Joshua Dread (Joshua Dread, #1)

Joshua Dread

(Joshua Dread #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,523 ratings  ·  144 reviews
5 Hours and 46 Minutes

For Joshua Dread, middle school is proving to be, well, awkward. Not only do bullies pick on him, but do you see those supervillains over there trying to flood the world? The ones that everyone, including his best friend Milton, are rooting for Captain Justice to take down? They're the Dread Duo, and they just happen to be his parents. As if trying to
Audio CD
Published May 14th 2013 by Listening Library (first published September 25th 2012)

really liked it 4.00  ·

Sara Grochowski
Joshua Dread just can't catch a break... he's not exactly popular at school and to top it off his home life is top secret. After all, his parents are supervillains and are hardly loved by the public. If kids at school knew his parents were the Dread Duo, he'd be even more unpopular. Even his best friend Milton is in the dark about who Joshua really is, but of that starts to change when a new student, Sophie, moves to town.

I love that Joshua Dread has the potential to appeal to a wide variety of
Linda
This book has some potential. The plot is clever, but it is riddled with holes and the dialog is weak and uninteresting. I have two boys that are avid readers, so over the years, I have read a lot of kid’s fiction with them. This book seems “dumbed down” to me. I don’t think that Bacon respects his audience’s intellect.

That is my opinion of the book, but my 12 year old liked it a lot. I would give it one, maybe two stars, but I’ll up it to three to reflect my son’s enthusiasm.
Dru
Apr 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story about the son of two supervillains, who is trying to keep his identity secret while he develops powers of his own. Clever, funny and pretty straight forward. A good read.
Massimo Guagliardo
It was very good because Joshua was brave and kept trying to find his parents that have been teleported by smoke creatures. It was exciting because I needed to know if that was true or not. I couldn't stop reading this book. I can't wait to read the next one
A.
Apr 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This would be a really great book for that awkward in between age for boys, when they start to think maybe reading isn't cool.
Andre Kalberer
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would recommend this book to a fourth or third grader because it is about super heroes and super villains and it is not to long. This book is about a boy named Joshua hes parents are supper villains so he has to hide his secret from everyone because having super villain parents doesn't really make you popular.
Ms. Yingling
Joshua, Milton, Sophie and Miranda are all attacked by evil villains named Grifter and Lunk (who is made up of concrete but dissolves in water!), and the parents decide they are no longer safe. Since the kids all want to go to school together, they end up at Alabaster Academy, a school for Gyfter children that is set on a remote, Gothic Island. It turns out that Grifter and Lunk work for Phineas Vex, and they are trying to assemble the components for The Device. The one remaining item they need ...more
Geli
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superhero
Oh wow. It's a book probably for twelve years old. I'm a bit older than that (or a lot, but who is counting?). Still, I enjoyed the world a lot! What is wrong with being a supervillain threatening to destroy the world every few months? Or what is wrong to be a superhero and marketing professional? After all, Captain Justice is a good looking, super-powered model/ hero.

Anyway, this book isn't exactly about them. It's about the Joshua, the supervillains son who simply hopes not to get eaten by th
Eric
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joshua Dread's parents are supervillains. While they're trying to blow up the world, he's trying his best to navigate sixth grade. Things get complicated when Joshua becomes friends with Sophie, the daughter of Captain Justice. Honestly, I can't think of one thing I'd change about this novel. It's consistently funny, inventive, and the pacing never lags, If you're a 12-year-old boy (like me), you'll love it.

Full review here: http://superheronovels.com/2012/11/24...

Debbie
May 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: karen
• The first of a series.
• Living among regular people are super villains and super heroes, who fight with each other.
• Joshua is the son of a villain family who likes Sophie, the daughter of hero.
• They are both developing their own super powers.
• Together, all of the family members work to eliminate an even more evil character.
• Lots of fun to read with dry humor.
Nate
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: obob-2017, 2016
My second OBOB book for the 2017 season. This was well written, with excellent plot development and a pitch perfect pace. Sometimes these superhero/supervillian books seemed to be forced into a frenetic pace, but Lee Bacon pulled it all off in a tasteful way that will please both adults and the 3-5 grade set. Highly enjoyed and recommended.
Whisper Poet
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hutch guys - this author will be coming to visit on March 4! Thank Mr. Tapia for paying for the visit!

I really enjoyed this book. Asking the lines of the Lightning Thief, lots of humor and adventure. So excited to meet the author!
Luna Pandiella-mcleod
Best book ever and I'm a 9 yr old girl I finished it in 2 days 1 school day 1 weekend it was so good
Lazybee
This is one of the best light read I've had in a while.
Daniel
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 4.0 of 5

I have an ARC of the third book in the series, but I thought I should read at least the first book so that I could get a grip on what the series was about before digging in to that other book. And so I borrowed this book from a local library (I love my library - you should love yours too!).

Joshua Dread is a middle school student, which is awkward enough as it is, but life is a little tougher for Joshua because he has a hu
Mark Buxton
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My name is Joshua Dredd, and my mom and dad are supervillains. I knew my body would change once I entered middle school, but I never expected to receive a Gyft, my superpower. My Gyft is spontaneous combustion (I can make things blow up), but I have trouble controlling it. My bigger problem right now is the new girl named Sophie. She has super strength, and her dad is bad news for my family. The Dread Duo, my parents, and other villains have a disturbing dilemma too, as human-like cloud shapes i ...more
Liz Friend
The story: Joshua Dread's parents have super powers, but that doesn't make them superheroes. In fact, they're just the opposite--super villains. Joshua's own super powers are beginning to become obvious--so he recognizes the ability in a new girl at school…only to discover that her father, Captain Justice, is the Dread Duo's archenemy! Just because their parents are enemies--are Joshua and Sophie bound to be enemies as well? And what if the most devilish criminal of all requires the work of BOTH ...more
Erica
May 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grades
Jayden Colon
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rob
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audio because it was on a great audiobooks list, and I have nothing but good things to say about the voice actor. I kinda wish the intro reader had read some of it too, but alas.
Having given this book some space, I think it's better than my initial look. I remember what happened (despite losing track in my car seemingly all the time), and I wouldn't be against reading a sequel. Maybe. That said, it's exactly everything an adult reader would expect. Nothing particularly clever
Jennifer Millar
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pre-read for my son

I read this book to see if it would be age appropriate, and reading level appropriate for my 6 year old son. I truly enjoyed the story and I’m sure my son will love it. It is certainly above his reading level (though he reads at a 3rd grade level), but he enjoys listening to audio books, so this is a good candidate for him. I enjoyed how the author treats super heroes and super villains as people. They aren’t all good or all bad. There is room for improvement for everyone, and
Rachel
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had a lot of great twists and turns, humor, and character. I found myself laughing at times and was very charmed. And it was a new take having the main character the son of supervillains. I found the characters to be insightful and real. Joshua's struggles were believable and great how he worked them out. The main superhero, Captain Justice, was a bit of a caricature, which I found a little disappointing (but he was funny with his overblown actions and cluelessness) and Joshua's parent ...more
Kenzie Farquhar
Alfeesya
I love the relationship between Joshua and his parents even though The Dread Duo are villains. What made this story interesting was the part that Joshua bacame friends with Sophia. Everything changed. This was a fun read and enjoyable too, but I think the writing is just too bold and flat plus very simple. I like the story plots and the ideas. The ending was ended quite well and satisfied. I would recommend if you enjoy superhero story. You might want to try this!
Charlotte
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Familiar themes with an original plot. I could have done with not as many similes, but perhaps middle graders appreciate them.

While the plot originality was refreshing, the writing style was ... how to explain ... intentionally meh? Like the author didn't want the words distracting from the plot. Which can be the foundation for a great book. In my own reading, I like writing with the occasional alliteration or fourth-wall-breaking.

I won't be reading book two.
Hannah Belyea
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joshua is used to being the only child of the Dread Duo, a pair of infamous criminals that always go head to head with Captain Justice - but when they and other villains start to disappear, he'll have to use his own new powers and the help of some trustworthy friends to save the day himself! Bacon begins an entertaining adventure that is quick-paced and hilarious. Can Josh get his phenomenally unexpected powers under control in time?!
Tracy
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-school
I'm used to reading Young Adult fiction, so this was an easy read. It was really cute though. The premise was different than other books, with two kids who become friends, only to find out that their parents are on opposite sides. One parent a superhero, the other parents being supervillains. I really enjoyed this book, and will read the others in the series.
Scott Wozniak
Predictable and sweet

It’s a children’s version of a standard plot. There are few surprises, but it’s a fun plot. It’s got a dry wit that’s enjoyable but it also is so constant that there never seemed to be any truly emotional moment to the story.
Natalie Kemp
Audiobook. Once the story’s climax was reached the story went on a little too long.

Content warnings: bad guy has killed supporting character’s mom, one guy is killed by bad guy, threat that the kid’s parents will be killed, and that the kids will be killed
Kari
OBOB pick for 2016 that I dreaded reading (bad pun) due to the cover - it didn't look like something I would enjoy - but I did enjoy it for the adventure and new take on villains vs superheroes. Great for my guy readers that need action, and kids who love Percy Jackson, et all....
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Update cover request 3 21 Jul 26, 2012 05:55AM

• Geeks, Girls and Secret Identities
  • Sidekicks
  • The Mask of Destiny (Billionaire, #3)
  • Villains Rising (The Cloak Society, #2)
  • Super (Supers of Noble's Green, #2)
  • The Voyage of Lucy P. Simmons
  • Dull Boy
  • Quest for the Secret Keeper (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #3)
  • Assault (Recon Team Angel, #1)
  • Stronger: A Super Human Clash (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #6)
  • The Phobia of Renegade X (Renegade X, #4)
  • We Are Not Eaten by Yaks (An Accidental Adventure, #1)
  • The Fellowship for Alien Detection
  • Virus Attack (Hero.Com, #2)
  • Delete (Shift, #3)
  • Kitty Hawk (I, Q, #3)
  • 涼宮ハルヒの驚愕 (後) (Haruhi Suzumiya, #11)
  • The Key (The Magnificent 12, #3)
I grew up in College Station, TX and first began writing in elementary school. I would write stories and poems with the intention of making my classmates laugh. Twenty years later, I used this same technique to write my first kid’s book.

Over the years, I’ve worked a lot of different jobs—farm laborer, art gallery assistant, bartender, assistant literary agent—before settling on the two jobs that

Joshua Dread (3 books)
  • The Nameless Hero (Joshua Dread #2)
  • The Dominion Key (Joshua Dread #3)