Start by marking “Itch Rocks (Itch, #2)” as Want to Read:
Itch Rocks (Itch, #2)

Itch Rocks

(Itch #2)

After almost poisoning his whole class with arsenic gas, going on the run from a psychotic science teacher and nearly dying of radiation poisoning, life is getting back to normal for Itchingham Lofte - at least, as normal as it can be when you have a round-the-clock detail of government security guards watching your every move.

But sinister forces are still hunting for Elem
Published February 28th 2013 by Doubleday Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Itch Rocks, please sign up.
Tina Sharp Has he read the Artemis Fowl series? It is equally smart with action and very well written. There is even a movie coming this August. You fall in love…moreHas he read the Artemis Fowl series? It is equally smart with action and very well written. There is even a movie coming this August. You fall in love with the evil genius antagonist. I loved all the books and I'm an adult.(less)

Kyle
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Another surprisingly good read!

Itchingham Lofte risked his life to hide element 126 where no one would find it. But both governments and terrorist are still out to find it and that means getting to Itch first. So Itch has become the most wanted and protected boy in the UK. He is followed everywhere he goes by an MI5 security team. But that doesn't stop the evil does from trying to kidnap him.

As with the previous book, as soon as you start reading the action starts and does not let up until you

Michelle
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have had Itch Rocks sitting on my shelf since publication day, and I never got around to reading it. However the incentive came in the form of a third book in this series, so after making some headway in my review pile I picked up Itch Rocks, eager to dive back into Itch's world and see what trouble he gets himself into now.

One thing that really fascinates me about this series is how elements from the periodic table are collected, but also used for good and bad throughout the pages, and whilst
Allen Karp
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a great sequel to the first Itch book. Itchingham Lofte and his sister and cousin live in cornwall new england with their parent. Itch discovered some rocks that are the newest element 126 and they are very powerful. Powerful people pursue him through england and he has to destroy element 126 so it does not get into bad hands. Him and his cousin jack are abducted and are held as leverage to obtain the rocks an they struggle to escape. This is a very fun book to read because its filled wi ...more
Kribu
Hmm. I liked some things better than in the first book and some things less, and the need for suspension of disbelief was extreme here in places, but eh, I don't really even feel like over-analysing or griping about all the things I could gripe about.

It was still an exciting read. With lots of gore. And deaths.

Although now I'm actually curious about whether the next book will have a "new" plot or still a continuation of the same one... hmm.
Brooklyn
"Element 126.
The whole world is searching for it.
One boy knows where it is.

Itchingham "Itch" Lofte, obsessed with collecting all the elements in the Periodic Table, has had quite a year: He accidentally exposed his whole class to arsenic, went on the run from his psycho science teacher, and nearly died of radiation poisoning. But his life is finally getting back to normal--at least as normal as it can be with government agents watching his every move and protecting him 24/7.

Sinister forces are
Melissa
Itchingham Lofte is an element collector.This book by Simon Mayo follows his adventures from book one-Itch. He tries to outwit the criminal masterminds all of whom are desperately seeking the rocks made of the dangerous element 126 with help from various members of his family.Itch thought he'd safely disposed of these eight rocks forever in the first story.Since he is the only person alive who knows where the rocks are hidden, he is a wanted man by criminals and by foreign governments.Itch knows ...more
Rachel  Brooker
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite-books
There are not enough positive words to describe how absolutely fantastic this book is. The second in the series begins with Itch being guarded by the MI5 around his school, and what happens next, something suitably explosive, kick starts another new adventure!

The characters are gripping, the plot is well-paced. It was only at the beginning where I didn't really know where it was going, but Simon Mayo redeems this quickly.

Nathaniel Flowerdew is the best villain ever, and the conflict with him a
Kumara
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book through a good reads giveaway. I have not read the first book in this series so I don't know if that would have helped me enjoy these book more but as a stand alone novel, I found this book to be average. I found everything about it just average, the characters, the story, the writing. It was readable but not something that's going to stay long in my memory, so two and half stars, which is , you guessed it, average
Alice Cai
May 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf, 2-star
I not exactly sure why I don't really like this book, but I think it was because of the lack of descriptions. I like when authors describe the scenario and details of what's happening and this book just didn't have that at all. It made the story feel one-dimensional. The villains felt like cartoon villains and I just didn't feel any connection with the main characters. Because the book felt so ridiculous I also kept expecting it to be a funny story, but no it's just a normal book.
sidenote: I did
Leov Grachev
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
If I didn't think it was a good book I wouldn't have read the 3rd book but either way, it lacks some (key) features that the first book had. The plot is really good (the first book takes the credit) but it could do with some more detail. I was very excited to find this book in the library and I enjoyed all the new characters and twists.

If you like/enjoyed this book I would definitely recommend Itch craft (the 3rd book).
Jayden Houghton
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good adventure and science book. Both books in the series (so far) are good reads.
Tina Sharp
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Even better than the first! I hope Simon continues this series! More action, more danger, more science!
John Reeder
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
soooo good really entertaining
Lesley Scott
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant

The second in the series that combines science and adventure with a 14 year old boy and his family. Great.
Tom
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spring-2019
Excellent follow up to the original story. Loved this book.
Stella
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was one of the best books EVER!!!!!!!!!
Bethany Thompson
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved it! Great sequel to Itch, the first book.
Grrlscientist
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Element collector Itchingham “Itch” Lofte is back in Simon Mayo’s new mystery, Itch Rocks: The Further Adventures of an Element Hunter [Doubleday Childrens, 2014]. In this, the second book in the series, Itch has disposed of eight rocks composed of the very dangerous element, 126, and has returned to school, along with his younger sister, Chloe, and his cousin and best friend, Jack. But his life has not returned to normal. Since he is the only person alive who knows where the rocks are hidden, ...more
Dani
Read the full review at: Polkadot's Book Blog

I won this copy through Goodreads First Reads
3.5 Stars

The most protected boy in the world was in his bedroom making chlorine gas.

I won this book in a goodreads giveaway and even though it was the second book in the series I thought I would give it a go. After reading 5 pages it is pretty clear that you don't have to read the first book in order to understand this one, as it recaps the events in the first book pretty quickly, but you do get a bette
Ms. Yingling
Itchingham Lofte fancies himself an element collector, a past time which has lead to so many unfortunate explosions in his home that his sister Chloe is prepared with a fire extinguisher, and his mother eventually makes him take his collection outside. After he obtains some antique wallpaper from a dealer named Cake, he takes it to school. Unfortunately, his class spends the morning in the hot, damp green house, and the paper releases arsenic gas that makes all of his classmates sick and closes ...more
Joanna Mitchell
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As a fan of Simon Mayo's radio exploits for many years, and a Primary school teacher, I was interested to hear that he had written a "young adult" book. I was slightly concerned when I found out that it was about an Element Hunter, as I've always hated science, but Itch turned out to be hugely enjoyable.

Having enjoyed Itch so much, I was very excited about the launch of Itch Rocks. So much so that I attended the hugely enjoyable launch! I read the book in just over a day - it really is a page tu
Jackie
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Book 2 of my Home Library Project: Itch Rocks by Simon Mayo. Simon Mayo is a BBC radio personality and the star of three of my favorite podcasts. It's his voice I hear when I read this book and its predecessor, 'Itch,' a tale about a teenage element hunter who discovers rare radioactive rocks and must protec them with his life to keep them away from his evil school teacher.

In this sequel, Itch has hidden the rocks but Evil People are trying to get him and them, despite the protection of MI5, an
Violet A. 6
Itch Rocks by Simon Mayo, continues right where the first book left off. After surviving radiation poisoning and finally getting rid of the rock that started it all, that same rock continues to put Itch in immense danger. In this squeal he must finally stop everyone from getting to the rock for good. I really enjoyed this book for multiple reasons. First was it's ability to really draw you into action of the book. It does this by immediately jumping into the action and keeping it fast paced, mak ...more
Richard
Aug 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, childrens
Having read the first 'Itch' book and given it 5 stars, I had high hopes for the sequel. The first part of the story is great, but when it moves to the school where the rocks are submerged down the well, it starts to feel like a rehash of the original book. The finale is also sadly disappointing as it's just too implausible to be credible. Not to mention that Flowerdew, who is in a seriously bad way, is miraculously capable of shuffling out of his sick bed to try and finish Itch off.

I don't kno
Hannah
Aug 07, 2013 rated it liked it
This book really should have been a 3 and a half, but I can't put that so I've been a massive bully and gone with three.
The follow up to the successful debut novel from Simon Mayo. I was very pleasantly surprised with how the plot picked up from the first book. I can't remember if I mentioned it in my review of Itch but I felt it had an already complete ending.
The book starts showing young Itchingham's life returning (somewhat) to normal, he's back at school, most of his hair is back and his m
Teresa
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Considering my 12 year old son and I (late 40s..) both loved the first in this series we were keenly anticipating the follow up, Itch Rocks. We are delighted to report that it is a worthy successor and having devoured it over a few days we can't wait for the next in the series.

Itchingham Lofte's life has changed dramatically since his disposal of the "rocks" and he and his family are now under constant surveillance and even have security personnel living with them as well as next door! Any hopes
Dena (Batch of Books)
Explosions, chemistry, and psychopaths—what's not to love? This is one of the most exciting young adult novels I've read in months. I thoroughly enjoyed the first book in the series and Itch Rocks did not disappoint.

Itch's secret is not as safe as he'd hoped, and things start to unravel quickly. Events turn deadly and once again, it's up to Itch to save the world.

This is such a fun adventure. I love that there is nothing else like it on the bookstore shelves right now. Most young adult novels fi
Heather
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved both books so far. I really hope Simon Mayo is planning to write more. They are very original YA adventure stories with lovely characters and descriptions.

My only criticism is a typical feature of kids books. It happens in Harry Potter, it always happens. That is, the kids are brighter than even the best MI5 agents. They get what's going on and are one step ahead of all the adults about. Still it's a plot device which works perfectly well. The only way around this is to have one of thos
Gillie Lewis
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved this sequel to Itch. Has all the elements of the old fashioned teenage thriller. The child can do anything ,is admired by adults with exception of his mother, involves sister and cousin. Itch is protected by MI5 in this book. They fail on so many fronts to stop our hero doing what he wants found myself being quite frightened that we return to the place where rocks were hidden. Every element of fear in this section. There are some really very nasty people who cause suffering and suffer .
D
Ellie
Jul 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
I haven't read the first one in this series, so I feel that hindered me when reading this book unfortunately. I loved the characters; Itch was brilliantly written and I really warmed to him. I also loved the science that was present throughout the whole book - it made it different to other adventure thrillers that are currently on the market. I felt it was slightly slow to get going, maybe because I hadn't read the previous book in the series. However, when it got going the action rattled along ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Doctor Who: Salt of the Earth (Time Trips)
  • Emilie and the Sky World (Emilie, #2)
  • The Obsidian Pebble (Artefact, #1)
  • Minion (Sidekicked, #2)
  • An Army of Frogs (Kulipari #1)
  • Across a War-Tossed Sea
  • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year, Volume 9
  • Endgame (Agent 21, #6)
  • To Stay Alive: Mary Ann Graves and the Tragic Journey of the Donner Party
  • A Horse Called Hero
Simon started work in Hospital radio and later became a Dj on BBC radio 1 and later on BBC radio 2.
His series 'Itch' is closely related to best selling series such as Alex Rider & Jason Steed. Also written by British authors.
Simon was recognised as the Radio Broadcaster of the Year at the Broadcasting Press Guild Awards in 2008, and has won several Sony Awards for his work in radio.

Itch (3 books)
  • Itch: The Explosive Adventures of an Element Hunter (Itch, #1)
  • Itchcraft (Itch, #3)