Start by marking “Monkey Wars” as Want to Read:
Monkey Wars

Monkey Wars

When the Langur monkey troop rises to power on the dusty streets of Calcutta, it is at a price. A brutal massacre drives the Rhesus troop out of the place they called home and forces them to embark on a dangerous journey. But one Langur monkey, Mico, is prepared to stand up to the tyrannical Langur regime and fight for truth, friendship and love. As Mico uncovers the secre ...more
Published May 2nd 2013 by Walker (first published April 18th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Monkey Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monkey Wars

Catherine
Apr 25, 2015 Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An Animal Farm like fable about war and survival. The various species of monkeys in Kolkata are at war. The rhesus monkeys have been living peacefully among the humans until they are blamed for a tragedy. The langur monkeys are brought in to chase out the rhesus clan. The result is a bloodbath with very few rhesuses escaping. One such escape is young Papina who later makes a tentative friendship with Mico, a young langur. Mico becomes a spy for the rhesus but finds himself in danger when a new l ...more
Lisa Mandina
I can see this as a really great story. While I appreciated the idea behind it, I didn't finish reading it as it wasn't really my cup of tea at the moment. But I can totally see the references to Animal Farm, and I think it has some great realistic scientific information buried within the story, and at the author's information at the end. It will be one that I recommend to teachers and students for many reasons.
Rebecca
Dec 20, 2016 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I'm torn between 3 and 4 stars. I appreciate Monkey Wars as unique in YA lit...there are few animal-centric stories for teens, and the characters of Mico and Lord Tyrell are especially compelling. But I found myself skimming the last couple of hundred pages and thinking that it was under-edited and tedious at times; a thought-provoking adventure fable that could have been cut down by 50 pages and sped up a bit.
Sam
Feb 12, 2015 Sam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: royal-lit, trc2015
If, as a member of one species, you are expected to stand by that species in their conquests and missions -- whatever they may be and however they may be undertaken --
you come to the realization that said objectives are misguided at best, evil at worst, and
you come to sympathize with an opposing species, even the very antithesis of your native species,
what, exactly, do you do about it?

Joining the likes of The Jungle Books, Redwall, and Watership Down, Monkey Wars boasts a well-developed cast of
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
This review was originally published at Fluttering Butterflies

Monkey Wars by Richard Kurti has been the biggest surprise of the year for me. I'll admit, if it weren't for my commitment to promoting British YA authors this year and also if not for the passionate words of a dedicated publicists, I might have passed up the opportunity to read this book. And that would have been an absolute shame, because Monkey Wars is one of my favourite books that I've read all year. It's exciting and interesting
Big Book Little Book
May 30, 2013 Big Book Little Book rated it really liked it
Keith for www.bigbooklittlebook.com
Copy provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review

The author has a flair for spectacular set-pieces and drama, honed during his time as a screenwriter. This is clearly on display in the opening chapter where a troop of Langur monkeys invade the cemetery where a peaceful group of Rhesus monkeys live, killing most of the residents leaving just a handful of refugees.

The first part of the book alternates between the experiences of Papina, a young Rhesus gi
Lyndsey O'Halloran
Apr 27, 2013 Lyndsey O'Halloran rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Monkey Wars is told through the perspectives of Papina, a Rhesus monkey and Mico, a Langur monkey. The two monkeys cross paths throughout the book as Mico begins to question the morals of his own troops. I really enjoyed the interactions between Papina and Mico. The strange friendship that builds between them helps to show why the monkeys are at war and the reasons behind certain actions. While Papina puts a lot of blame on to the Langur monkeys, Mico attempts to tell her that not all monkeys ar ...more
Daniel Buitrago
Jun 27, 2013 Daniel Buitrago rated it it was amazing
A powerful beginning: a troop of Langur monkeys kills most of the group of Rhesus monkeys that live in the old cemetery of Kolkata. The survivors are snatched from their home in this dramatic attack. After this opening Richard Kurti guides us to a place where time is measured in Seasons, Moons and maybe other forms of more primitive lapses. In fact, we assist to one of those episodes that determine the course of history of… only monkeykind?

The author starts from a real incident that connects thi
Russell Neumann
Mar 01, 2015 Russell Neumann rated it it was amazing

Monkey Wars by Richard Kurti was well written and was devised in a way that it discussed the morals of war but above all the dilemma of following orders even if you know they are wrong without making the story boring at all. Many lessons were learned in this book, but it was fast paced and easy to read. The book started out as the Rhesus monkeys were massacred by the Langur monkeys in their home and only a few survived the attack. We were introduced to the main characters, Papina a young Rhesus
German
May 15, 2015 German added it
the book I chose is called Monkey Wars and it was written by Richard Kurti. this book is about two group of monkeys. one group which is called the Lungar monkey triple who take over the city of Calcutta. when they take over it came with a price a brutal massacre occurs when which leaves many of the lungar troop injured and dead and drive the other monkey troop, the Rhesus troop to leave what they have called home for many years and they embark on a new journey for a new place to call home. withi ...more
Rudra
Oct 06, 2016 Rudra added it
Mico is a very young monkey when humans entice his langur troop into chasing the disruptive rhesus out of the city; even so, he knows that this victory is more gruesome than glorious. When the young rhesus Papina sneaks back to discover her father's fate, the two forge an instantaneous bond. Soon, clever, imaginative Mico ascends the langur hierarchy while secretly feeding information to Papina and the other rhesus refugees. As Tyrell, the new langur dictator, grows ever more ambitious, bloodthi ...more
Michelle Moloney King
First published on http://teachermoloneyking.com/2013/05...

Right out the gate we are witness to the start of a war, we follow Mico and family as they are left homeless and shocked. All they have left is to fight for their home.

Kurti has constructed a complex world of politics, battles, betrayal using the Langur and Rhesus monkey troops. This is a layerd, heavey handed and very detailed telling of a war. The choice to use monkeys does give us a different slant of war. These monkeys could very we
Dominique White
Aug 29, 2015 Dominique White rated it it was amazing
"Monkey Wars" is quite simply too important to be read solely by young adults.

A truly remarkable allegorical tale which sheds light on the difficulties of decision making in times of political unrest and war, this novel should become recommended reading for teenagers, alongside George Orwell’s modern classics “Animal Farm” and “1984” or Joseph Heller’s “Catch-22”. Full of reflexions on what motivates people to lead or be led, to be heroes or to succumb to cowardice, it is a credit to Richard Ku
Peyotitlan
Jul 21, 2013 Peyotitlan rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book and it is for all ages.

It is a thrilling, moving and educational book that will have you cheering for (some of) the characters and will have you worry for them and share their pain.

The characters are so real that I had to make an extra effort in the first few chapters to imagine them as they breed of monkeys that each were. Once I got into the swing of things and became familiar with each character and pack it was an exciting ride.

This book has got so much to teach us or
Kelly
Apr 14, 2016 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an ambitious book about monkeys...

I really would give this book more of 2.5 stars, but since that isn't an option, I rounded up. I thought this book, which was a thinly veiled reference to the politics that led to the Holocaust (and I was right, according to the author's afterword), had great heart. I appreciated where it was coming from and it was a very developed story (almost too developed).

I did wish that the monkeys had felt more like monkeys and less like people. The author admitte
bobo the baboon (harry makinson)
Monkey wars is a book written by Richard kurti about a war between two troops of monkey's, the rhesus and the langur. the book is written from the perspectives of three monkeys, Tyrell the leader of the langur, papina a very brave rhesus and mico who is a langur but is a double agent for the rheseus.

I really like this book because not many books are written from the perspectives of animals and it is a very gripping book. i also really like how mico's personality evolves as you go through the sto
Siddharth Singh
Apr 29, 2015 Siddharth Singh rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
While the book is based on a fairly interesting premise it had precious little going for it.

It started of as something clearly inspired by Animal Farm so the first few pages did get my attention however the story failed to take off after that. The themes that the book covers - power, ambition, self-discovery, rebellion, love etc etc have already been done to death by numerous books and movie and unfortunately the author failed to present these in a way that's never been done before.
Melle
Feb 25, 2015 Melle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like animal allegories, fables, etc.
This is a book more like Animal Farm than Mort(e) was. There are lessons about society and armed forces and resistances, and the plot and characters are engaging enough, but I as a reader felt shorted by the lack of perspective from female rhesus monkey Papina; the book seemed a lot more focused on langur monkey Mico and the whole military structure of the langurs. This is a book for the people who don't skip over the battle scenes in Lord of the Rings, which I totally do.
Debbie Armbruster
Monkey Wars is the story of the fight for supremacy between bands of monkeys in Kolkata. But it is also a dark fable, examining conquerors vs the conquered and the fine line between actions done for the greater good and madness.

Recommended for readers grades 7-12. (Mature readers will pick up on the darker themes while younger readers will gloss over them.)
Nidia Rodriguez
Nov 10, 2015 Nidia Rodriguez rated it it was amazing
The day the Rhesus monkeys are forced out of their home by the langur monkeys sparks a true monkey war. Mico - a member of the langur - begins to see a true picture of the methods of his "people". When he meets Papina - a member of the Rhesus - and befriends her, Mico must decide whether to stay loyal to his species or fight for what he believes is right.
Nadine
Wanted to love this book... and it was good, but the Romeo and Juliet story within really through me off. I wanted more of a social commentary and power struggle. That said, characters were memorable and believable, even as the voices of monkeys.
Danny
Sep 18, 2015 Danny rated it really liked it
This book was great. I really like the characters and the in depth story. It kept me interested the whole way through, and I couldn't put it down half the time. One of my favorite books recently and I will definitely recommend this.
Linda Peng
Jul 25, 2013 Linda Peng rated it really liked it
Monkey Wars was another unintented read, but I ended up loving it anyway. It's a story of power, ruling, lies and survival, but told in the monkey's perspective which sounds stupid, but actually makes some sense.
Janice
Jun 10, 2015 Janice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A novel written from monkey's points of view, while still in a world of humans was very fun to read. Of course, it wasn't really realistic, but a great and entertaining read, and watching the monkey characters develop, and go through difficult decisions like any old human was intriguing.
Seema Rajpal
The summary gave me a very George Orwell 1984 vibe but it descended into something much more 'Indian'. It's an ok book, could have given it a miss.
Eden Grey
May 18, 2015 Eden Grey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a bland political statement told with a unique premise and poor storytelling. Expected better, did not deliver.
Christine Lynd
Dec 04, 2015 Christine Lynd rated it really liked it
Animal Farm with Monkeys- more of an involved saga than a brief fable, but makes the same points about power, government, propaganda, freedom, and war.
MVRHS Library
Mar 06, 2015 MVRHS Library rated it it was ok
Definitely not Animal Farm, but a thought-provoking story about the perils of power through the eyes of our closest relatives.
dbundles42
Feb 10, 2015 dbundles42 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exactly what it says on the tin.

An interesting anthropomorphic tail (teehee) of power and politics. A little predictable at times, but well written and a great romp.
Graeme Anshaw
Mar 28, 2016 Graeme Anshaw rated it it was amazing
It's been a long while since I've read a book so great that I hope there is a sequel written. This is one of those books.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Heroic
  • Waiting For Gonzo
  • Control (Shift, #2)
  • Salvage
  • The Seeing
  • Hidden Among Us (Hidden Among Us #1)
  • Who Framed Klaris Cliff?
  • Close Encounters of the Girl Kind (Geekhood, #1)
  • Wild Boy
  • Hello Darkness
  • Long Reach (Eddie Savage, #1)
  • The Bone Dragon
  • Playing Tyler
  • The Disappeared (The Disappeared #1)
  • Silent Saturday (Forbidden Spaces, #1)
  • Siege
  • Gypsy Girl
In another life, I’d love to have been a clockmaker.
It’s not enough that a clock is a beautiful object, it also has to work – it needs to keep accurate time, month after month.

This is what attracted me to screenwriting, which is where I started as a professional writer. Screenplays have to tell moving, exciting, engaging stories, but they are also incredibly complex and very technical machines tha
More about Richard Kurti...