Start by marking “Cosette: The Sequel to Les Miserables” as Want to Read:
Cosette: The Sequel to Les Miserables

Cosette: The Sequel to Les Miserables

Millions have shared the unforgettable story of the waif Cosette, adopted daughter of Jean Valjean in Victor Hugo's Les Miserables. Now the tale of Cosette continues in this sweeping, exhilarating epic that interweaves its own galaxy of characters and narrative with real events and historical figures. From dingy artists' cafes to brilliantly gaslit Parisian boulevards, fro ...more
Published July 1st 1995 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Cosette, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cosette

Mahdi Lotfi
این کتاب که در واقع ادامه رمان "بینوایان" ویکتور هوگو میباشد به زندگی پر فراز و نشیب "ماریوس" و "کوزت" قهرمانان داستان بینوایان به شکل بسیار زیبایی می پردازد.
Dangermousie
One of the worst books I have EVER read (and seeing what I've occasionally read, that's saying something). When one writes a sequel, one is bound to be compared with the original, but even to mention Hugo's masterpiece in the same sentence with this appaling garbage is sacriledge. And even if one comes to the novel without the previous knoweledge of the predecessor, it still stands proudly as a poster child for dull, ininspired, cardboard writing.

The characters and situations are so flat they a
Wendy
Apr 20, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: abandoned
This is officially my least favorite book of all time.

I had a number of books in mind for this ignominious award, terribly written ones full of cliches, or of characters who I wanted to brick up behind a wall like Poe’s Fortunato. But what really makes a book bad? Is it merely a question of personal taste? Which is why I pick Cosette as "the worst" book--it transcends individual taste. Cosette is the unofficial sequel to Victor Hugo’s classic novel Les Miserables (surely the 1,463 page doorstop
Lauren Beck
Jun 23, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
New Reccomendation: If you have read Les Miserables don't read this book at all! I don't think it was how Victor Hugo would have had things been at all!!
skein
Jul 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-star
What I learned from this book: Cosette has small breasts and (apparently!) enormous reserves of courage and fortitude beneath her 'I want to wear merino and sit vacuous in the Luxembourg gardens' exterior; sex with Marius is good, albeit "sticky and slimy and wet"; a man can hide from the police beneath a woman's hoopskirts and then somehow consummate the relationship from that position; your children will certainly betray you but don't worry 'cause they'll feel just awful about it later; Eponin ...more
Saltlakecityhardys
Aug 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My sister picked this book up for me at a thrift shop and gave it to me for my 45th birthday. Of course I had to read it. . . my name is Cozette!

My mother was not familiar with Hugo’s Les Miserables when she chose my name. She says she would have chosen traditional French spelling had she know it. I read Les Miserables in young adulthood and finally saw the musical in Salt Lake City Utah with my mother. We were foolish and took no hankies and used our dress hems to literally mop the tears! It wa
Quinn Berry
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!!! Even though Cosette's life seemed ruined, she accepted her struggles and eventually solved them. When I picked up this book, I thought a sequel would ruin Les Miserables but it made the epic story even better. This book was really long and took me a month to get through, but thought it was awesome. Cosette is a unforgettable heroine.
Carrie
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
A sequel by another author? Kind of sounds like fan-fiction doesn't it? Cosette was a wonderful read. I think because Kaplakian remained true to Hugo's vision of France in Les Miserables. I highly recommend it.
Marie
Jul 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
Hideous and offensive. I was gifted this book, and read it out of deference to the giver. What possesses some people to take a piece of classic fine literature, written by one of the world's most revered authors, and try to "finish" his story? Write a different story, if you must, but don't take Hugo's work where it would never go, or make his characters behave in such incongruent ways. He's rolling over in his grave.
Mandy
Oct 17, 2009 added it
Shelves: shelf-o-shame
OK, I have not read this yet, but I feel that I must. Whoever thinks they're worthy of writing a sequel to Les Miz, that will be worthy of Victor Hugo better be good. Otherwise it's going on my Shelf o' Shame, along with Twilight.
Amy
Nov 23, 2007 rated it did not like it
i couldn't finish it. it was horrible. maybe i'll try again in fifty years.
Jill Porter
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This sequel to Les Miserables is very well done. It stayed as true to Victor Hugo's creation as she could. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Ninja
Mar 07, 2009 marked it as to-read
There's a sequel?!
Diane
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: benys-books
I began reading this book expecting it to resemble V Hugo's Les Miserables; this was an incorrect assumption on my part.

This book was written for a different generation than Hugo's. Once I realized it was to be a more descriptive romance I adjusted my expectations and began enjoying the story. It is a pretty good story. I was surprised and very glad I stuck with it and continued reading!
Louise Marshall
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
a long time ago, in French. amazing!
Jenna
Aug 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
Admittedly, when you love a book (such as Les Misérables and have fallen in love with the characters and one comes to the place where one is dismayed to find the book is over and one wants "more", one often has an idea in one's mind of what actually "happens next." Admittedly, the idea may not be fully thought out...so when reading sequels I am prepared to understand an author might have different ideas of where the characters will go/what motivates them, etc. But this book did nothing for me. A ...more
Karin
May 12, 2013 rated it liked it
I was confused at the beginning because this book begins before Les Mis ends. Not what I expected, but I figured it out soon enough. I liked the book. Cosette & Marius weren't really shown except as lovers- very prim and proper ones at that. This book shows Cosette's intelligence and love and generosity. Marius, too, demonstrates a lot of courage (maybe foolhardiness?) in this book too.

Loved the new characters- Starling, Pincher.

Didn't really like the 2nd Javert much. Javert had is own mora
Carmen
Jul 24, 2010 rated it did not like it
An auntie's mother who loved Les Miserables gave this to me, eyes shining, glad to open the door to more of what we both loved in Hugo's tale.

(Almost 600 pages? Kalpakian is no Hugo and she needs a more ruthless editor.)

It could be a miniseries. But really? It's an echo of Hugo's masterpiece--there is a relentless chaser a la Javert, a "poor thing rescued" a la Cosette (with a bird nickname, yet!), but really? I finished it so I could look my aunt's mom in the eye and say that I had read it but
Eleanor Mary
May 16, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: companion-novels
I will begin by saying that Les Miserables is the novel least in need of a sequel.

It is my belief that authors of sequels owe a great deal to the original writer, and, as they are not working with their own characters, are expected to retain at least basic personality traits.

...and whether or not they die in the original novel.

And I will continue by stating that although I would like to say "I would approve of it, if only it weren't a sequel to Les Mis", the said unneeded sequel struck me as med
Paul Perillie
Dec 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Admittedly, the sequel seems like an idea that would come from a Hollywood studio seeking to cash in on a successful story. If you're expecting prose in the style of Hugo you will be hugely disappointed.
All that said, if you read LM, didn't want to let go and wondered what happened to Jvj adopted daughter and her hero of the barricade, then this is worth a read. Maybe its just me, but I think the author lifted parts of the story of Marius from what happened in real life to the Marquis de Lafeye
Cosette
Aug 16, 2011 rated it liked it
After the brilliance of Les Miserables, this book was quite a disappointment. I liked the characters less than I originally did, though there were a few new characters that I liked. The storyline was okay, but frustrating, because it kept seeming like Marius was making the same stupid mistakes again and again. The difference in her writing versus Victor Hugo's writing was also vastly different. I much prefer how Hugo wrote. While reading this book it was clear that it was not the original author ...more
Magalie Bourgault
Mar 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Everybody who read Les Misérables
This book follows Victor Hugo's COSETTE throughout her life as a married woman. It pictures perfectly the lifestyle of parisians in the 19th century in a style borrowed to Hugo's. If you liked Les Misérables, you will be pleased to read this sequel to the classical piece of literature. Beautiful and touching.
Ann
Mar 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
After falling in love with the characters and plot of Les Mis, I couldn't wait to read more. Kalpakian does such a wonderful job of carrying the characters forward. The only part I couldn't fathom is the turning of Cosette and Marius' son against them. I did love all the intrigue and hidden identities and just the ability of the human spirit to survive.
Hope
Nov 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I loved Les Miserables and figured I should give this a try. While not a wonderfully exciting book, it was definitely interesting and felt to me like it could have possibly been a real sequel to the original. That being said, I never liked Cosette (definitely liked Fantine and Eponine better) so I may be denying this book a 4th star simply based on my own character bias.
Cas
Jan 13, 2014 added it
ErynnMarie
My ambivalence about buying this book at a local used book store has been given creedence. I have had the book on my own shelf for about a month now, trying to get up the gumption to read it. I finally read the reviews on here. Now I don't think I will read it. Thank you, Goodreads reviewers.
Melissa
Jan 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: don-t-read-this
this was the book that taught me the all-important lesson: never read a sequel written by another author. Particularly another author from a different era and country than that in which the original, truly phenomenal book originated.
Jo Bennie
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: k
It took me a while to get into this sequel to Les Miserables but once I got into it I didn't want it to finish, and then it ended REALLY abruptly, very strange! It's about what happens to Cosette and Marius after the end of Les Miserables, and life doesn't seem to get any less hard for her.
Jana
Feb 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
You need to be very familiar with the plot of the original or you'll be lost, BUT this book is well-written, with a depth and unique perspective that makes it appeal to more modern audiences. I loved it.
Anna Lee-diemert
Oct 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
Don't read it!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Regine's Book: A Teen Girl's Last Words
  • The Mother-Daughter Book Club Collection: The Mother-Daughter Book Club / Much Ado About Anne / Dear Pen Pal / Pies & Prejudice / Home for the Holidays (The Mother-Daughter Book Club, #1-5)
  • Le Vicomte de Bragelonne II
  • The Good Men
  • 'Til the Boys Come Home: A World War I Novel
  • Crazy Time: Surviving Divorce and Building a New Life
  • What Would MacGyver Do?: True Stories of Improvised Genius in Everyday Life
  • The Science of Superheroes and Space Warriors: Lightsabers, Batmobiles, Kryptonite, and More!
  • The Best Short Stories
  • The Deadly Space Between
  • The Feminist Papers: From Adams to de Beauvoir
  • A Cup of Comfort for Inspiration
  • The Pioneers (American Family Portrait #5)
  • Potiki
  • The Secret Annexe: from The diary of Anne Frank
  • The Perfect Father (The Crightons) (Harlequin Presents # 2092)
  • Milky Way (Welcome to Tyler, #9)
  • Loveknot (Welcome to Tyler, #12)