Start by marking “The Farm” as Want to Read:
The Farm

The Farm

3.4  ·  Rating details ·  180 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
The latest Appalachian Gothic thriller from award-winning author Scott Nicholson,The Farm explores the legend of a 200-year-old circuit riding preacher who pays a visit to the tiny mountain community of Solom. At the heart of the story is the relationship between a mother and daughter who are new to the town and are just discovering its strange history and dark secrets.
Published July 1st 2006 by Pinnacle

To ask other readers questions about The Farm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Farm

Kasia
Apr 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
After reading Scott Nicholson's previous novel "The Home" I purchased a few of his other books right away because I was impressed with his writing philosophy and honestly the novels looked like a lot of fun. Boy was I wowed with his wit and dark humor that embedded itself masterfully into this horror novel about a haunted little town of Solom in North Carolina. The atmosphere was rich and haunting; the detail to the history and its inhabitants immaculate and the build up was long but tingling wi ...more
Matt Garcia
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Farm is a good old "southern fried" horror novel. Nicholson manages to capture the essence, charm and folklore of the rural south and build a compelling story around it. The characters were flawed and felt real for the most part. I enjoyed learning the history of the circuit rider and how some legends never die, especially in small, secluded towns. Satisfying horror novel that gets the job done. Fun read.
Kimberly
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
A scarecrow, a bunch of man eating goats, a preacher ghost who died over 100 years or more ago, a small town called Solom, a little country store, a haunted water mill, some good country folk and a Goth girl named Jett along with her mother, Katy, have just moved in with a man to start a new life, a new family.
Its Autumn, Halloween is coming and so is the Circuit Rider. A town legend. A deranged, Methodist preacher from another time who comes to claim a soul for his Harvest. Its been that way fo
Dark Recesses
THE FARM
Scott Nicholson
Pennacle (Mass market paperback)
$6.99
July 2006

Reviewed by Nickolas Cook

Scott Nicholson has gone and done it again.
The author of THE HOME, THE MANOR, THE HARVEST, and THE RED CHURCH has upped the scales of conventional horror with his newest offering, THE FARM. And if you didn't think goats were scary little creatures, you will by the time you're done with this one.
Katy Logan and her teenaged goth daughter, Jett, move to the small backwoods Appalachian town of Solom so
Matthew Tait
Feb 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Note: This review was written around the time of it's publication.

If you haven’t had the pleasure of laying eyes on a Scott Nicholson paperback, let me introduce you an individual who is a writer. It’s a statement that should not be taken lightly. In an industry where literally millions aspire to this craft, only a bare minimum have the magic and what it takes to capture a booklover’s awareness. As we all know writing a novel takes enormous courage and patience – and it seems this author is ina
Shiela
Nov 06, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror
Although this book has some really spine-tingling moments, it was just too weird for me. I can deal with ghosts, ancient legends coming to life, and even the creepy scarecrow that seems to pop up with his rusty scythe every now and then, but the carnivorous goats? There was potential at the beginning of the novel, but the middle dragged on, and climax seemed a little too over the top for me. I don’t think I’ll be picking up another Nicholson novel any time soon.
Michael
Sep 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
Scott Nicholson is a very guilty pleasure. He is an OK writer totally in the horror/supernatural vein, but certainly not of the same caliber of King. His stories are at once both formulaic and original. Despite sometimes silly plots and goofy endings, I'm always compelled to finish his books just to see how things wrap up in the end.
Jeremy
Oct 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Good spooky tale! Provided just the right amount of spookiness to give my my scary book fix for the Halloween season. Let's just say i'll never look at goats the same way again. I've checked out two other books by Nicholson. We'll see if he can help me maintain that scary book buzz!
Darren L.
Sep 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Strange little twisted tale. I'm afraid I saw the end coming too early and some of the characters were less than likable in an odd way. But it passed the time well with a fairly quick pace and I can't say I regret picking it up. It had its moments.
Donna Hulsey
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
The jacket of this book says it's "horror to rival Stephan King"....NO WAY. The goats are evil...there's a 200 years dead circuit rider coming around, people are dying right and left, but I wasn't scared even one time.. Oh yes, don't forget the scarecrow that comes alive and kills people with a scythe. Don't waste your time on this one.
Michael Mallory
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book was recommended to me, but it didn't live up to the recommendation. It concerns a long-dead preacher whose ghost (if that's really what it is) keeps showing up in a small Appalachian town demanding a sacrifice. Actually, he doesn't demand it so much as just assume it's going to happen. He proves to be a rather thoughtful, articulate ghost. There are a lot of carnivorous goats, too, who wander around being carnivorous and goatish, and an ambulatory scarecrow, who isn't ambulatory enough ...more
Misty Battle
Sep 04, 2013 rated it liked it
I was excited to read this as it was recommended to me from one of my friends. The cover was horror inspiring and I couldn't wait to dive in. Then came the goats. I have no problems with goats, however when they are used as a blood thirsty, slayer of humans I quickly lose interest. I loved Jett and how her character is developed in the book. The additional haunting of the ex-wife was a bonus. I just can't move past the goats and scarecrow as the creatures of the night. Did I mention there was a ...more
Craig
Oct 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this one so much but, alas, it couldn't live up to fulfilling the three things that had me so pumped: the awe-inspiring cover art, the plot of a blood-thirsty scarecrow, and the fact that Nicholson has a near-perfect resume of great novels in my opinion. This one seems so far removed from the writer's past efforts.
Karen
Jan 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Rose
Aug 14, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NO WAY!
Shelves: absolute-crap
This was one of the worst books I've EVER read!!!!! I will never read this author again. It was ridiculous and the writing was awful as well. I did not any of the characters in this book. Waste of time and money!
DJMikeG
Dec 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Solid rural Appalachian supernatural horror tale. Nicholson is a talented writer and I look forward to reading more of his stuff.
Michael
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, creepy, supernatural horror set in the NC Mountains. For those who enjoy rural southern horror, Scott Nicholson is the best.
Alexandra
This is pretty standard horror fare but I will NEVER look at goats quite the same way again.Also it features some nice anti right wing sentiment.I guess it is not so standard after all.
Lindsey
May 26, 2008 rated it it was ok
See my reviews at www.lvrj.com/blogs/booknook
Dina Coutu
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
really enjoyed the concept behind this idea and it was entertaining i wish there would have been more legends and old stories told in this book though.
John
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Scary idea. I don't know if they scare away birds but they do have a creepy that makes a good story. This story goes on too long with too many ghosts and non-ghost evil folks.
Tara
Steve Dullum
Aug 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
What's The Name o...: Possessed Goats [s] 6 48 Feb 14, 2013 05:53PM
  • Queen of Blood (House of Blood, #2)
  • The New Neighbor
  • Halloween
  • The Haunted Forest Tour
  • The Policy
  • The 13th
  • A Gathering of Crows
  • Old Flames
  • Black Cathedral (Department 18, #1)
  • Phantom Nights
  • Brodmaw Bay
  • Mean Spirit
  • The Bridge
  • Deep in the Darkness
  • Blind Panic (Manitou, #5)
  • Crimson
  • Coffin County
  • Thirteen Alabama Ghosts and Jeffrey
With more than 500,000 books sold worldwide, Scott Nicholson is an international bestselling thriller writer. He won the Writers of the Future Award in 1999 and was a Stoker Award finalist in 2003. His Fear series was published by Amazon's Thomas & Mercer imprint and 47North released the supernatural thriller McFALL.

He's also published a number of supernatural, paranormal, and fantasy books an
More about Scott Nicholson...