Start by marking “Die Zwerge (Die Zwerge, #1)” as Want to Read:
Die Zwerge (Die Zwerge, #1)

Die Zwerge (Die Zwerge #1)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  7,547 Ratings  ·  517 Reviews
Sie sind die schlagkräftigsten Helden aus J. R. R. Tolkiens »Herr der Ringe«: Zwerge sind klein, bärtig, und das Axtschwingen scheint ihnen in die Wiege gelegt. Doch wie lebt, denkt und kämpft ein Zwerg wirklich? Dies ist die rasante Geschichte des tapferen Tungdil, der im Kampf gegen Orks, Oger und dunkle Elfen beweist, dass auch die Kleinen Großes leisten können … Nach S ...more
Broschiert, 636 pages
Published November 30th 2004 by Piper (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Die Zwerge, please sign up.

Hannah Knight I'd consider it as a mix, in all honesty. There's been no sexual scenes, just a lot of violence. Although, there are clear signs of romantic…moreI'd consider it as a mix, in all honesty. There's been no sexual scenes, just a lot of violence. Although, there are clear signs of romantic flirtations but nobody acts on them.(less)

Weylin
Oct 16, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young fantasy readers
I could not take it any more. I am taking some advice and I am not going to finish this book even though I REALLY tried. I started this book in August and have taken breaks from it 4 or 5 times. I wanted this book to be good, but its way too simple. The plot is very simple and predictable. The characters are Tolken templates and are not very interesting. At times it seemed the dialogue between the dwarven characters in this book came straight from 6yr old boys who were having a make a believe ba ...more
Dirk Grobbelaar
This book reminded me of a role playing game. Character gets assigned quest and sets off --> when character arrives at destination he finds out that the quest completion parameters have been amended and that he has to continue to new destination, where more or less the same thing happens. Along the way the character collects items and learns skills, he also meets other characters with different skills and some of these join up with him, creating a "party". In the end, the items and characters ...more
David Wismer
Feb 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
The best review I can give is that my 17 year old son spent his own money to buy the first three books (in hard cover), read them and encouraged his friends to read them. I just had to read them myself and found myself enjoying them. Let the author speak for himself.

"Death came for the dwarf and tried to take him, whereupon the warrior squared his shoulders, dug his heels against the granite floor, and told him to go. Death turned around and left.”
- Apologue from the southern provinces of Sangp
A. Dawes
Why the Read: I've always enjoyed Tolkienesque (or D&D) dwarves. After reading excellent contemporary fantasy by McKillip, Bujold, Martin, Abercrombie and Rothfuss, I thought I'd give it a go.

Plot: the clichéd D&D role play world. Also the clichéd little guy becomes a big guy through an adventure. Escapist fun. Nothing new and completely formulaic.

Thoughts: easy to condemn or judge this work and its derivative D& D world, but on reflection, this type of formulaic approach has a pla
Daniel
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Još jedna od knjiga koja ima interesantnu postavku, kompetentno je napisana i na kraju bude samo meh.

Ono što imamo ovde je u suštini klasična fantazi priča o borbi dobra i zla alu upakovana u ruho patuljaka. E sada to ne bi tolko smetalo da je pisac to iskoristio da ponudi nešto drugačije ali činmjenica da je sve smešteno u društvo patuljaka skoro uopšte ne igra ulogu. Sve je standardni i već viđeno, od organizacije društva, njihovog mesta u svetu kao i odnosa sa drugim rasama. Ako ste čitali D&
Beth_Adele
Apr 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once I managed to trudge through the first 100 or so pages, (which are a bit of a massive yawn)
things really started to pick up and I began to really enjoy the book.
The writing isn't particularly stellar, but it flows nicely and it's the characters that spurred me on to continue reading.

The core characters I really fell in love with. It would be interesting to read it in it's original german. I am one of those people who can't help but think anything that is translated might lose a bit of it'
Anirudh
Jan 24, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book can be described as a badly written spin off of LOTR where the attention has been shifted from elves and humans to dwarves. Being a fan of fantasy it is rare for me to rate a book 1 star but I didn't find anything here that made me think of giving it anything more.

Writing is one of the main flaws of this book (among others) I don’t know if it’s the translator’s fault or the original authors but the writing is too simple and unappealing. It’s like a kid wrote this for his high school pr
Perry Gough
I really didn't enjoy this nearly got too 100 pages and the dialogue is just awful in places and sounds more like a Disney film at times then a proper fantasy book.

Characters are dull and plot is full of so many holes and inconstant.

Not for me, I'm really having a bad year with fantasy books :(
Dimikris
Nov 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dwarf Lovers
Shelves: fantasy
Once I read an article about classic fantasy cliches. Classic fantasy books have adjectives ending in ling, like halfling. This is a book fool of lings, it fits all fantasy cliches. But after reading so many realistic and political intriguing fantasy books, this book has its charms in simplicity.

First chapters i was wondering whether i stop it or not. A simple story with AD&D dwarves complete with character creation chapters and skill advancement pages. I thought i was 15 all over.

As the plo
Paul
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good solid quest fantasy. Very well translated.
Generally nothing new about the book but still an easy read with decent characters.
I found the whole book a very enjoyable read. It won't stick with me the way some fantasy books would but sometimes a softer read is a nice break and this fits that bill nicely.
Simplistic in some ways and definitely borrows from other works but I went in expecting this so it didnt bother me too much.
Firyar
Dec 16, 2011 rated it did not like it
Eigentlich möchte ich Bücher nicht so zerreißen, aber hier muss es doch getan werden: Wieso?! Wieso ist dieses Buch ein Bestseller und vor allem, wieso wird es so in den Himmel gelobt? Ich hab nichts gegen Mainstream-Literatur und schlichte Fantasy....aber das, was man hier zu lesen bekommt, hat mich doch sehr geschockt.

- Markus Heitz studierte Germanistik und Geschichte, war auch als Journalist tätigt. Hier bemerkt man nichts von schriftstellerischen Künsten. Es liest sich, als ob es ein 15-jäh
Sam
Feb 15, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It is rare that I do not finish reading a book. This was one of the exceptions. The world was flat, the characters uninspired, and everything was so incredibly predictable. It was like reading watered-down Tolkein with the addition of dark elves and revenants.

What finally annoyed me enough to put the book down halfway through was the simple fact that some measure of time (presumably days) was constantly referred to as 'orbits'. At one point the main character is delirious with fever, and another
Tonja
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read a fair bit of fantasy in my years and some I have liked better than others. This series jumps to the top of my list. I love the DragonLance novels, but I think that this actually topped them, just a bit.

I love the fact that the main character is a Dwarf raised around Humans; it gave him a great sense of humor and an academic view of his people. His 'innocence' in the realm of Dwarven women cracked me up and I think that he was a good mix between the dwarven raised characters.

It's a t
Stephen Burns
I don't want to give it a negative review, because I can understand why some people would like it. I like the main characters, especially the twins. There were a few too many "leaps" for me, though, plot wise and I ended up putting it down about 2/3 of the way through. This is a personal pet peeve, but if, for example, your main character is making a decision, the "he/she just knew it was right" needs to be justified. Is intuition a special gifting? Why would they make that decision? I need to b ...more
[Name Redacted]

Brothers of the mine, rejoice!
(Swing, swing, swing with me)
Raise your pick and raise your voice!
(Sing, sing, sing with me)
Down and down into the deep,
Who knows what we'll find beneath?
Diamonds, rubies, gold and more
Hidden in the mountain store...

Born underground, suckled from a teat of stone
Raised in the dark, the safety of our mountain home
Skin made of iron, steel in our bones
To dig and dig makes us free!
Come on brothers, sing with me!

I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole
Diggy diggy hole, diggy d
Bryan Alexander
I read this together with my 14-year-old son. He prefers science fiction to fantasy, but is intrigued by dwarves.

It's a fun read in that context. We enjoyed some of the characters' schtick, the development of a fantasy world, the protagonist's growth into a leader, the defeats of various bad guys.

In a sense, it's a young adult book. The focus is on a young person, upon whose shoulders ever-escalating challenges are placed. Adult society is fouled up, and can ultimately only be helped by the youn
Kaitlin
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so much better than I anticipated that it would be. I had never really heard much about 'The Dwarves' as a series and so I picked this up on a whim and just hoped that it would be good, and I was not disappointed. I would give this a 4.5* rating because the beginning was a little slow and there were a few moments of confusion between characters which lost my immersion a little, but other than that it's a brilliantly composed story in a classically fantastical world.

The Dwarves is a
Elisabeth Schell
The Dwarves by Markus Heitz is a story about a dwarf by the name of Tungdil who was raised among humans in Grindlegard by a magus, Lot Ionan. Lot Ionan sends Tungdil on a journey to run some long distance errands for him and over the course of his journey everything changes. He meets fellow dwarves for the first time in his life and soon finds out that he was nominated to be a candidate for High King, his foster-father Lot Ionan is killed and Grindlegard is being taken over by the perished land ...more
Chris
Aug 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm not bad, I just found myself disappointed at how like Lord of the Rings it was, a group of people of all races, a wizard who turned evil but couldn't see it, and an unspeakable evil that was encroaching upon the rest of the world. Dwarve's and Elve's hate each other but in the end become friends and a child of a once ancient King of men leads an army of men united behind him. The plot has been done before, and better by Tolkien. However, it turns out not to be a bad read once you get about ...more
Els De
Apr 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tof fantasy boek maar soms wat langdradig. Leest vlot
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
I loved the cover though!
Eric
Dec 13, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dwarves are a fantasy staple, but almost always as one-dimensional supporting characters playing second or third fiddle to humans and elves. This book puts them in the leading role, gives them personality, and makes them full-fledged heroes. The protagonist is an orphaned dwarf, raised by a human wizard, who struggles to reconnect with his people even as he must also unite them in the battle against a traitorous wizard and the monsters of the Perished Land.

Pros: Heitz gives real, individual, and
Aaron
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great epic adventure with dwarven protagonists. The world, the sights, the various peoples are well described and believable is this fantasy. I'm sure everyone will compare this to The Hobbit with a diminutive hero sent on a mission to save their world. But this story stands on its own and was a delight to read without twisting the tongue around unpronounceable names.
Schierke
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Monica
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just could not get into this novel. For some reason it was not very engaging to me and I couldn't connect with the characters or the plot.
Damana Madden
Aug 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
This book does not count towards my Read Books for 2017 because after 427 of 733 pages (or 59%) and 7 months elapsed in which I read 30 other books, I am throwing in the towel. This is not a book that I can finish.

As a typical Tolkien fan, the blurb for this book appealed greatly. Reviews were good and even the D&D community were stoked at the series. I kept wanting to buy it but refused to pay the $40ish price tag that is the norm for 7-800 pagers.

I plowed through about 200 pages before it
Filip
Gimli je jméno, které muselo každému utknout v paměti! Trpaslík, který se s Legolasem vsázel, kdo z nich zabije více skřetů. Nechme ale Pána prstenů a přejděme k něčemu zcela jinému. Každý zná trpaslíky a aspoň trochu si je dokáže vybavit. Ovšem, nikdo nikdy nevěděl, jak žijí. Jejich zvyky, přátelství a vztahy jsou nám zakryty. A co vlastně víme o těch slavných trpaslicích? To vše jsme nevěděli. Až doposud…

Vše to začíná tak nějak promyšleně. Zradou, kterou nikdo nečekal padne Kamenná brána, kter
Eleclyah
Mitchel Wagner
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Culture and spirit of the dwarves is described very nice. Only the ending is wrapping up pretty quikly.
Richard Saar
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the Internet Book Review

I have to confess: I love Dwarves... ever since I read J. R. R. Tolkien's, The Hobbit when I was about 12 years old, I've been fascinated by these mythical subterranean creatures. There's just something inherently cool about them, perhaps it's because at 6 foot tall and not exactly being a fan of things underground, I'd suck at being a Dwarf, so their world somehow seems more interesting.

I also like book series, one-off books c
Dwarves 4 64 Mar 06, 2013 09:30AM
Loved it 9 47 Mar 05, 2013 04:11AM
  • Elfenwinter (Die Elfen, #2)
  • Orcs (Orcs: First Blood, #1-3)
  • Die Zauberer (Die Zauberer, #1)
  • Die Trolle (Die Trolle, #1)
  • Die Zweite Legion (Das Geheimnis von Askir, #2)
  • Lycidas (Uralte Metropole, #1)
  • O Medo do Homem Sábio - Parte 2 (A Crónica do Regicida, Livro 2 - Parte 2)
  • Shadow Prowler (Chronicles of Siala #1)
  • Schattenjagd
Markus Heitz is a German fantasy, horror and science fiction author, most famous for his five-book Dwarves saga.

Markus Heitz was born in Homburg in 1971. He studied history, literature, and the German language. He now lives in the town of Zweibrücken.
More about Markus Heitz...

Die Zwerge (5 books)
  • Der Krieg der Zwerge (Die Zwerge, #2)
  • Die Rache der Zwerge (Die Zwerge, #3)
  • Das Schicksal der Zwerge (Die Zwerge, #4)
  • Der Triumph der Zwerge (Die Zwerge, #5)
“Appearances are there to be ignored, for the biggest hearts may reside in the smallest and unlikeliest of creatures. Those who fail to look beyond the surface will never encounter true virtue - not in others and certainly not in themselves.” 20 likes
“Gathering speed, the wagon reached the point where the tunnel took a sudden plunge. Its passengers held on tightly as the vehicle tipped over the edge and careered into the abyss.
Ireheart wooped in excitement, Boëndal held on for dear life, Bavragor burst into song, and Goïmgar petitioned Vraccas, while Tungdil wondered if any of his companions were sane.”
4 likes