Start by marking “The Middle Kingdom” as Want to Read:
The Middle Kingdom

The Middle Kingdom (Chung Kuo Recast #3)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  213 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
A masterpiece of world-building to match George R R Martin's Song of Ice and Fire, David Wingrove's extraordinary and ambitious 20-volume Chung Kuo series is a dark glimpse into mankind's destiny. 'Awesome, Chung Kuo carries the hallmark of legend' - SFX
Published May 14th 2014 by Corvus (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Middle Kingdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Middle Kingdom

Mark
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And so to Book Three of this re-imagined series, following Son of Heaven and Daylight on Iron Mountain.

Whereas the first two books have been new material in this ambitious twenty-book rewriting, this book is where the original series began in 1989. What we have here is a new introduction, written to connect this book with the previous two, and about half of the original novel. The rest of the original book should make up Book 4, Ice and Fire.

After the setting of the scene in Son of Heaven, and t
John Keegan
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read the original version of “The Middle Kingdom” back in the mid-1990s, while at university. I was immediately hooked on this incredibly detailed, brutal vision of the future. The original Chung Kuo series was set to last nine huge volumes, but by the time that the seventh volume came out, support for Wingrove’s magnum opus collapsed. The series came to an abrupt (and very hard to find) conclusion in a rushed eighth volume.

Fast forward 15 years, and things have changed dramatically. A s
Charles Peterson
This is a reread for me, one of my favorite series of all time. Want to see how he stretches out the series or compliments it.
Hristyuk Vitaliy
Brilliant and immersing. I liked it tremendously.
Simon
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Middle Kingdom by David Wingrove is the third book out of twenty in the Chung Kuo series. If political intrigue and betrayal set in a futuristic world where the Chinese people rule the entire Earth, then look no further than the Chung Kuo series! Yes you read right. This is only the third book out of a whopping twenty. Originally, the author finished the series with just eight books. This recast series was written according to how the author first saw fit to tell his story with no constraint ...more
Roddy Williams
The third volume in Wingrove's revised epic future history is the start of the original series published in 1989. An overview of this can be found in my original review of the first novel.
I imagine that the 1989 version has been split into two for this new release. The original series comprised of eight hefty volumes while the new 're-cast' version is twenty smaller issues with two new volumes at either end. I can't determine how much this has been revised if at all. One wouldn't have thought th
Graham Crawford
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I had read this series years ago. So far, I'm very impressed. Having recently read a number of the Chinese classics, I was struck by the similarity of this epic to "The Romance of the Three Kingdoms." I am assuming that the intention was to create a sci-fi version of this in much the same way Julian may redid "the Tain" as "The many coloured land" series. I'll be interested to see how closely/loosely it stick to the original.

I have read a couple of reviews that criticised this series as
Matt
Jul 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now past the prequels, The Middle Kingdom begins about 100 years where Daylight on Iron Mountain left off. A new cast of characters is introduced. The legacy of the main characters from the prequels is so muted I’m not sure there was much point in learning about them. It takes awhile to get a feel for who is relevant in this new cast, but it starts to come together well at the end. Anyway, this is a massive and respectable undertaking by Wingrove and I will patiently wait and see how this all pl ...more
Paul
Feb 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a lot going on in this novel, which makes a pretty much clean break with the the backstory presented in the first two novels in the series. This isn't a bad thing in itself - and Wingrove certainly handles it all very well indeed - but you do have to pay attention to keep track of what is going on.

I will be picking up the next book in the series at some point but, right now, I can't help feeling that the events in the first two novels were more interesting that the dynastic power strugg
Chris
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, sci-fi
I was very impressed when I read this 20 years ago, and have been looking forward to the re-cast since I heard of its re-launch. Whilst I enjoyed reading this again, I'm not convinced that this is any different from the original version. I've got the next one in the serious buy may need some convincing to continue buying the 'new' versions.
Bob
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My goodness! This book is freakin good! I remember reading Chung Kuo back in the day, and liking it, but I was nevertheless unprepared. The new prequels were an enjoyable lead up to the beginning of this, the epic saga of Chun Kuo. But dipping now into the main story is a true delight! Time to crack the next book open!
Book Bazaar
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am loving this series. This is Book 3 and if you haven't seen these yet, it's time to get into your bookstore and pick up number 1. I am already looking at finishing off the other books I am reading so I can move on to #4!
Alex
Sep 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's an interesting world, with some compelling themes and plot threads, but this re-released edition is simply not a complete story in its own right and that frustrated me enough to leave me unsure whether to read the series any further.
Stefano Santoro
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
now it gets better. It starts the ark with Kim and Major DeVore
Andreea Pausan
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story :) each book gives new inside about an Earth covered by an ice-city rules by the Han.
Morpheus Kitami
rated it did not like it
Mar 01, 2017
Mar 29, 2016
Davin
Sep 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Keys to the Spirit World: An Easy To Use Handbook for Contacting Your Spirit Guides
  • Earth
  • Evening's Empires
  • The Seeds of New Earth (The Silent Earth, #2)
  • The Jewel of Dantenos: A Lee Starfinder Adventure from the World of The Godling Chronicles (The Godling Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Roboteer (Roboteer Trilogy, #1)
  • The Birth of the People's Republic of Antarctica
  • The X-Files: Trust No One
  • Savage City (Romanitas, #3)
  • Hot-head
  • Paving the New Road (Rowland Sinclair #4)
  • Sandakan
  • Thieves' Quarry (Thieftaker Chronicles, #2)
  • Espionage and Covert Operations: A Global History (The Great Courses)
  • Twenty Trillion Leagues Under The Sea
  • Eleven Seasons
  • The Overman Culture
  • KOP Killer (Juno Mozambe Mystery, #3)
David Wingrove (born September 1954 in North Battersea, London) is a British science fiction writer. He is well-known as the author of the "Chung Kuo" novels (eight in total). He is also the co-author (with Rand and Robyn Miller) of the three "Myst" novels.

Wingrove worked in the banking industry for 7 years until he became fed up with it. He then attended the University of Kent, Canterbury, where
More about David Wingrove...

Chung Kuo Recast (9 books)
  • Son Of Heaven (Chung Kuo Recast, #1)
  • Daylight On Iron Mountain (Chung Kuo Recast, #2)
  • Ice and Fire (Chung Kuo Recast, #4)
  • The Art Of War (Chung Kuo Recast, #5)
  • An Inch of Ashes (Chung Kuo Recast, #6)
  • The Broken Wheel (Chung Kuo Recast, #7)
  • The White Mountain (Chung Kuo Recast, #8)
  • Monsters of the Deep (Chung Kuo Recast, #9)