Start by marking “Murder Unprompted” as Want to Read:
Murder Unprompted

Murder Unprompted (Charles Paris #8)

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  208 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
As understudy to the lead in a West End play, Charles Paris's thespian and detective skills are called upon once again when the lead is shot dead on stage on the opening night. The suspects range from a jealous wife to a bitter actor who lost his part, from the playwright who heard his beautiful lines twisted to the director who saw his work ruined.
Published September 1st 2012 by Severn House Digital (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Murder Unprompted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder Unprompted

Kerrie
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simon Brett's Charles Paris series are always a delight to read and a radio play featuring Bill Nighy doubles the delight. Nighy makes a very believable Charles Paris and he is well supported by Suzanne Burden as his wife Francis.

Just the thing for a relative short journey.
From BBC Radio 4 Extra:
Bill Nighy stars as Simon Brett’s actor sleuth who looks as if he may be starring in a West End hit. But of course things aren’t that simple.
Ashley Lambert-Maberly
This is an excellent backstager, marred only by a murder mystery. I was thoroughly enjoying the characters and situation, and for more than half the book there was a lot to enjoy. Then the murder happened (I suppose it was inevitable--I knew going in it was a mystery, I'd asked at the mystery bookshop for a good mystery to read) and I had to divide my focus between the fascinating story of life on-and-off the stage, and the less fascinating story of the whodunnit. Not-really-a-spoiler-alert: the ...more
Julia
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
This was my first Charles Paris novel. I thought it was written similarly to other Simon Brett series. I liked the story, the plot build-up, and many of the characters. At times, I do think the story did get bogged down with very lengthy detail, but that might be due to developing a new lead character in a series. The end left me disheartened or a little frustrated, and while I don't mind a flawed character, I do want something positive to come about, but it doesn't happen here. I will read at l ...more
G Hodges
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I bought this for 10 cents at the local library book sale. If I had paid more, I would be upset. The languid, juiced up slightly tattered second son bit is way past it's prime here (even thought there is no mention of Charles as a second son - it's just the mantle he seems to wear). The outcome is also obvious. It is not that I don't like an occasional 'you know, old chap' book. Just not this one. You want him to get his act together. And he doesn't. The crime is secondary.
Norma
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, reviewed, comedy, 2016
"Shooting Stars"

Simon Brett's Charles Paris stories are always sheer delight, especially when performed for the BBC with Bill Night his lugubrious, worldly self. Funny, quirky and seeped in behind the scenes acting and family rivalries, they are a joy not to be missed. This one is no exception.
Worth every penny/ credit
Jenny
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels, audiobook
I love Simon Brett's Charles Paris series of mysteries and was delighted to find one I hadn't read before. In this one, Charles finally makes it to a starring role in a London West End play and of course, solves a murder mystery. Ex-wife Francis appears which is always a plus. A nice mix of humor and intrigue.
Susan
Jun 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-england
Charles Paris thinks he really has a shot at the big time when he's hired to play second lead in a new play in the provinces. The producer hopes to bring the play to London's West End! But then things start to go wrong for Charles, and for the lead in the play as well. Another charming outing for Brett's theatrical detective.
AnnieM
Jun 16, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The narrator killed this book. It was slow and passive. Any reader could have brought more feeling to this book.

I will try another book from the author, but I will read a traditional book, not an audio.

Five hours I'll never get back.
Paul
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent whodunit fare. Charles seems to work better than he does later and even performs in the West End. The plot involves an ear piece and an obvious suspect. The great spell of life backstage is here.
Jenine
Feb 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the theatre workings and characters. The main character Charles Paris is perfectly and even charmingly fallible. But the psychology of the murderer was so unconvincing that it drug the whole thing down.
Jennifer Golden
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2012
I found myself taking time getting to my destination so I had more time to listen. The narration was good and the story was easy to follow. Not so many characters I couldn't keep them straight but enough that the murderer wasn't obvious. It kept me guessing until the end.
Lynn
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books are so well plotted. The clues are there in plain sight, but of course, you don't see them. I do like this character, Charles Paris, and the style is so quick and witty. A fine series.
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
sad alcoholic Charles Paris gets near sobriety
Anne C.
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book, mystery
Fun book and well written. I love Brett's handling of character relationships.
Brian
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best in the series so far. Charles manages to solve the murder and get a leading role in the west end.
Full of humour and a cracking plot.
5 stars
Dogzilla
May 17, 2016
Caroline
Jul 03, 2016
Xidmary
May 28, 2016
Lori
good book, will on in the series
Kate Bulman
Feb 18, 2011
Tony
Jan 06, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • English Country House Murders:  Classic Crime Fiction of Britain's Upper Crust
  • The House of Brass (Ellery Queen Detective, #32)
  • The Dark Door (Constance and Charlie, #2)
  • A Function of Murder (Sophie Knowles, #3)
  • The Medusa Frequency
  • Chemistry for Beginners
  • The Chinese Parrot (Charlie Chan, #2)
  • Their Finest Hour and a Half
  • The Glimpses of the Moon (Gervase Fen, #10)
  • Widow's Might (A Liv Bergen Mystery, #3)
  • The House in France: A Memoir
  • Letters from London
  • The Damascened Blade (Joe Sandilands, #3)
  • The Body in the Gallery (Faith Fairchild, #17)
  • The Boric Acid Murder (Periodic Table, #5)
  • Mrs. Miniver
  • An Open Book
  • Love in Amsterdam
Simon Brett is a prolific British writer of whodunnits.

He is the son of a Chartered Surveyor and was educated at Dulwich College and Wadham College, Oxford, where he got a first class honours degree in English.

He then joined the BBC as a trainee and worked for BBC Radio and London Weekend Television, where his work included 'Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy' and 'Frank Muir Goes Into ...'.

Afte
More about Simon Brett...

Charles Paris (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Cast, in Order of Disappearance (Charles Paris, #1)
  • So Much Blood
  • Star Trap
  • An Amateur Corpse (Charles Paris, #4)
  • A Comedian Dies (Charles Paris, #5)
  • The Dead Side of the Mike (Charles Paris, #6)
  • Situation Tragedy
  • Murder in the Title: A Crime Novel
  • Not Dead, Only Resting: A Charles Paris Mystery
  • Dead Giveaway (Charles Paris, #11)