Start by marking “Black Sun Light My Way (Children of the Black Sun, #2)” as Want to Read:
Black Sun Light My Way (Children of the Black Sun, #2)

Black Sun Light My Way

(Children of the Black Sun #2)

Return to the wintry landscape of Ricalan and the magnificent storytelling of Jo Spurrier, in BLACK SUN LIGHT MY WAY

Sierra has always battled to control her powers, but now her life and Isidro′s depend on keeping her skills hidden from the Akharians as they draw closer to Demon′s Spire. In the relics left by Ricalan′s last great mage, Isidro hopes to find the knowledge Sie
Published June 1st 2013 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about Black Sun Light My Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Sun Light My Way

Krystal
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
If this was a movie, it would definitely be rated R for violence and sex. And I would definitely watch it.

Repeatedly.

Carrying on from the first book, our friends quickly make their way back to one another and grudgingly work with the bad guy we all secretly love, Rasten. He's kind of a dick but deep down he's traumatised and actually kinda sweet so be prepared for some feels here.

Sierra and Isidro are desperately in need of training montages, so they both learn a bit more of the craft but not n
Lindsay
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very satisfying conclusion to the duology wait, what? This is a trilogy isn't it? A very clever way of subverting the "boring second book" of a trilogy.

Sierra, Mira and Isidro are slaves of the Akharans at the start of the book, and about to enter the Demon's Spire, the great store of ancient Ricalan magic. Not far away is the Ricalan army and the Mesentreians are also in the mix. Isidro grows into his magic, Rasten continues to be a complex character and Sierra becomes more tragic. Delphine i
Nicole Luiken
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Intense, but very good with complex characters and situations. The world-building is excellent. This is book two. Book one is Winter Be My Shield.
Tsana Dolichva
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Black Sun Light My Way by Jo Spurrier is the sequel to Winter Be My Shield, which I absolutely loved when I read it last year. This review contains minor spoilers for book one.

Before I started writing this review, I went and read over my review of the first book and I was struck by something I hadn't realised when I was reading. Although the two books follow the same characters and are linked by a logical sequence of events, they actually explore very different themes. While the first book dealt
Erin-Claire
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Dennis
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
After struggling with the first book and continued to struggle with the second one was well. Great character development as always, but the plot felt really stale in the beginning. But luckily it picked up after about the third of the book and I was not able to put the book down anymore.
Just ordered the third book and can't wait to read it.
Barbara Howe
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Didn't like it quite as much as the first book in the series (Winter Be My Shield) but it's still a very gripping story, and I dove right on into the third book (North Star Guide Me Home) straight afterwards. Intense; not for the faint-hearted.
shari.macdonald
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
x excellent

Like this series a lot. The character were greatest of twist an turns. No end to the trouble they get Into fast paced an very good plot Iines.
MRS E MCLAUGHLIN
A great 2nd book in the series.

Some uncomfortable scenes but oh a marvelous immersion into a fantasy place and individually fabulous characters.
Book 3 awaits! Bravo
Janna
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I so incredibly want Sierra and Rasten to be end game but I know it will never happen. An I too afraid to read the last book and have my pipe dream crushed?
Rain
Jul 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
'Middle book Syndrome'. Pace too slow, and enough of the pain & suffering drawn out in repetitive detail. Nonetheless, I liked the first, and will read the third.
Mark Webb
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This review forms part of my contribution to the Australian Women Writers 2014 Reading Challenge. All my 2014 AWWC reviews can be found here.

Black Sun Light My Way by Jo Spurrier is the second book in the Children of the Black Sun trilogy. You can read my review of the first book, Winter Be My Shield, here.

The political and social system that was introduced in the first novel is solidly developed in this second novel. We learn a lot more about other societies, and the gradual expansion of the re
Anni (Tea in the Treetops)
The second book in the Children of the Black Sun series delivers even more excitement, suffering and sparkly magic than the first book did, in rather unpredictable ways. I had a lot of trouble putting it down – certainly no second-book curse to be found here!

It was a full year ago that I read Winter Be My Shield, so the details of the story were a little hazy. Unfortunately there is no recap at the start of Black Sun Light My Way so I struggled for the first few chapters to remember what had jus
S.B. Wright
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Black Sun Light My Way is Jo Spurrier’s second novel and the follow up to Winter Be My Shield (reviewed here). It’s book two of what I suspect will be a trilogy, though it’s ending surprised me – it didn’t feel like the traditional middle of a trilogy. I like to be surprised and I am eager to see what Spurrier does in the final book. I thought I had a handle on where she was going, now I am not so sure.

At the end of Winter Be My Shield, Sierra having managed to learn some control of her powers l
Shaheen
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book should be entitled "The Impossible Choices Plaguing my Favourite Characters, and the Heartache that Ensues." Sierra, Isidro, Cam, Mira and Rasten were all put through so much throughout Black Sun Light My Way, it was kind of a relief when the book ended!

I thought the strongest element of the previous book was the characters, and this is again the case. Sierra continues to surprise me, willing to make extraordinary sacrifices for her make-shift family - the people who saved her from cer
Dark Matter
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Nalini Haynes reviewed this book; for more reviews by Nalini, see Nalini Haynes on Dark Matter Zine.

Black Sun Light My Way is book 2 in the Children of the Black Sun series, the first being Winter Be My Shield (reviewed here). I interviewed Jo Spurrier, available as video or as an MP3 download.

Winter Be My Shield is so epically awesome that I’ve spent a lot of time pondering that tome since reviewing it. I’ve considered removing and/or rewriting my review because my opinions have changed upon r
Rochelle
Black Sun Light My Way is the second book in the Children of the Black Sun trilogy, and I have to say that I liked book 1, Winter Be My Shield, better than this one. This one was a whole lot darker than the first. I really think this is a great book, but it was harder to read and I had to stop in some places and take a breather.

SO MUCH HAPPENS IN THIS BOOK, it felt like I was reading books 2 and 3 one after the other. About half way through this book turned and went in directions I didn’t like (
Courtlyrae
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
In the sequel to Winter Be My Shield, the protagonists continue to be thrown from one crisis to another while somehow managing to scramble toward triumphs against the Akharan invaders and Team Kell/Valeria. I was so tense racing through the story at one point I gave myself a headache from gritting my teeth. A core value of the series that really appealed to me was in friends being the family you choose, and the group's unwavering determination to protect each other kept me warm during the bitter ...more
Jinx
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I would have to say I enjoyed 'Black Sun Light My Way' even more than I enjoyed the first book of the trilogy. Although second books of trilogies risk becoming 'filler' material, 'Black Sun Light My Way' certainly was not. What made it stand out was the way Jo Spurrier spends a lot of time exploring the psychology of her characters - something I truly enjoy when done well. A lot of ground is covered in this book, and another good thing is its unpredictability - I really couldn't tell what lay ah ...more
Liam
Oct 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, fantasy
Jesus christ, I simply can't believe that Jo Spurrier hasn't had anything published before these - they are simply fantastic.

Especially in this one, probably because the characters were developed well in the first novel Winter Be My Shield, nearly every character was relatable and likable at some level - especially the villains, a lot of whom turn out not to be so villainous, which is exactly how a good villain should be.

A few negatives this time around - the ending, although intense and awesome
Jennifer Sweetapple
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Mark
Jan 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
One of Australia's bright new stars Jo Spurrier's sequel to her debut novel 'Winter Be My Shield' doesn't disappoint. Picking up the story Spurrier strides forward expanding on threads where only peripheral in book one and continues to open up the incredible wintry world that is so real your hands will freeze while holding the book.

Many writers can suffer from 'second book syndrome', where in the second book reads like a place-holder for the third/final book in the series. Fear not, you will exp
Lauren Phillips
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just picked up this series by Spurrier and worked my way through the 1st novel, Winter be my Shield, and this second in the series.

I'm blown away. I love the setting - this is the first I've had in an icy landscape where it was more than a splash feature. I love the level of detail in the day-to-day workings of Ricalani society.

I love the characters and their interactions. I find this to be very well written - not overdone or predictable.

The series has some very dark themes, in particular eve
Raquel Walker
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By the black Sun I love these books!

Saying I enjoyed these books is an understatement, I loved them. Spurrier kept me interested the whole time, and I never felt like the story line was repeating itself.

The character development in these books was great, as you go from absolutely hating a character to feeling sympathy and wanting more for them as you see their situation.

There was a love triangle or two which I typically don't like...well actually I still don't like them, but I'll get over it b
Bibliophile
Jan 06, 2016 rated it liked it
More action-packed than the previous book in the series, but with somewhat weaker characterization. There's some uncharacteristic behaviour to advance the plot, much drama and emotional outbursts, and I must say I would have preferred a little more grinning and bearing it. Of course, it's supposed to be dramatic, and it's probably unfair of me to wish for more stoicism from people who undergo torture on a regular basis. It's just... all those feeeelings. It's still good fun though, and I do want ...more
Sasha
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a-ma-zing
5 stars is not enough for this book.
The first couple of chapters had me worried that it wouldn't be as good as the first. Boy was that worry unnecessary. Almost immediately you are dragged into Sierra's world, and wondering if her and Isidrio will ever find respite from Kell who gives evil the capital E. There is never a dull moment, and I often found myself jumping ahead to find out what was going to happen.
Black Sun Light My Way is an intoxicating read. When I wasn't reading it, it was all I
Alice
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own, fantasy
Even better than the first book. Everything I said in that review still stands, and has been improved upon. Characters are explored even further, even more impossible choices have to be made, there is no such thing as good and evil and the plot doesn't get bogged down anywhere. Also, the action scenes are very well written, especially the final climax - it's very easy to visualise what's going on while still keeping up the fast pace needed (something I have often seen good writers fail at misera ...more
prk
Nov 30, 2013 added it
Shelves: aurealis-awards
My review will be posted after the Aurealis Awards have been announced.

prk.

Disclaimer: Whilst I read this as a judge for the 2013 Aurealis Awards, this review is my personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging co-ordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.
Eerika
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dark. Brutal. Frustrating. Hearth breaking sad. I love the complexity and multiple layers of this story and complicate relationships and how emotions and contradictions got under my skin. Cam became my favorite: a desperate moment and I thought everything lost and then this guy is like: yeah, just as I planned. LOL.
Rochelle
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I must say it has been a while since I read the first book so starting this book did feel a little off until things clicked back into place. I really enjoy characters that can change and adapt without it seeming fake ; the author decides they will be the hero in the space of a few pages. Glad Kell is finally dead but how is it all going to end now I wonder?????
  • Valley of Shields (Empire of Bones, #2)
  • The Shadowed Throne (The Risen Sun, #2)
  • Ink Black Magic (Mocklore Chronicles, #3)
  • Justice
  • The Marching Dead
  • The Legacy Of Lord Regret (Strange Threads #1)
  • The Silver Tide (The Copper Cat, #3)
  • Hunt for Valamon
  • Beyond the Empire (The Indranan War, #3)
  • Reunion (Rift Runners, #3)
  • Thorne (The Chronicles of Kaya, #2)
  • The Usurper (King Rolen's Kin, #3)
  • The Tower Broken (Tower and Knife Trilogy, #3)
  • Angel Arias (Night Creatures, #2)
  • The Obsidian Heart (Echoes of Empire, #2)
  • The Book of Days
  • Small Shen
  • Harbinger (Book of the Order, #4)
Jo was born in 1980 and has a Bachelor of Science, but turned to writing because people tend to get upset when scientists make things up.
Her hobbies include knitting, spinning, cooking and research. She lives in Adelaide with her husband and spends a lot of time daydreaming about snow.

Children of the Black Sun (3 books)
  • Winter Be My Shield (Children of the Black Sun, #1)
  • North Star Guide Me Home (Children of the Black Sun #3)