Start by marking “Cha-Cha Chimps” as Want to Read:
Cha-Cha Chimps

Cha-Cha Chimps

Counting and dancing gohand in hand at Mambo Jamba's,

the place where hippos hokey-pokey and meerkats macarena

and ten little chimps do the

Cha -- Cha -- Cha

until Mama Chimps says,

"Time for bed!"

Published February 1st 2006 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Cha-Cha Chimps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cha-Cha Chimps

Start your review of Cha-Cha Chimps
Luisa Knight
This was fun to read out loud. The sound, the rhythm, seeing the animals move; it made me want to wiggle a little jig too.

Ages: 2 - 5

Cleanliness: mentions cider though doesn't say it's alcoholic and no one gets drunk.

#sounds

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book
J
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Even though this is a longer book, the group of preschoolers I read this to paid attention to the very end. It helped that there were lots of opportunities for them to interact because of a repeated phrase on every other page that I had them say with me every time. Good stuff.
Ronda
Jan 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
This story with a beat is going to be a blast to read with my K-1 kids. A variation on the 10 little monkeys idea, the story has a countdown and repeating refrain, which makes this one perfect for "audience participation". I suspect this book will make for a rowdy and fun storytime. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

(Jan. 8) OK. I've now read this one with several of my K-1 classes. I figured out that the story seems to go better if I introduce the story asking if they remember the story of the 1
Kylie
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Cha Cha Chimps is a story about 10 little chimps who sneak into Mambo Jamba's and dance the night away with other animals from the jungle. Everything is going great until Momma Chimp comes in to take the 10 home.

This book is full of great rhythm and can be read almost as a song. Its a great way to teach children rhythm and counting and keep their attention. I definitely plan to use this book in my classroom.

I would use this book with children as they're learning to count. I would do a read aloud
Leigh
Apr 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Cha-Cha Chimps by Julia Durango
A counting story that uses rhythm and rhyme to tell the story of 10 chimps that go out dancing. A fun read aloud with great pictures, you can get the kids to participate with dance steps or by repeating "oo-ee-oo" (who doesn't like making ape sounds?) while the chimps "cha-cha-cha."
Nielson
Sep 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is a darling counting book with catchy rhymes and vibrant illustrations. Ten little chimps head to Mambo Jamba's for a night of moving their feet while dancing to the beat. But uh-oh, here comes mama chimp...! Kids and adults alike will be tapping their toes to the cha-cha beat. Upbeat, fun, and energetic!!
Savannah Wilson
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book would be GREAT for children who are just learning numbers or just learning to count. It allowed interaction to come into play. The illustrations went along very well with the story. It also allows a visual of the numbers by showing how many monkeys are left after each page. I loved this book and thought it would be adorable for younger children.
Marisa
Jul 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Jules was right, this is a good one. Good rhyme, good repeating text the kids can say with you while you read. Excellent storytime pick. I sort of wish it ended with the chimps leaving the dance, though.
Jen H.
Jul 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Cute rhyming book about animals dancing and chimps doing the cha-cha. "ee-ee-oo-oo-ah-ah-ah. 10 little chimps do the cha-cha-cha." The book counts down from 10 until the chimps go home to get in bed.
Lynda Freas
Nov 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Storytimes, family read-aloud
A rollicking romp through the jungle as the chimps sneak out at night to dance. Great fun for storytimes. The end of the story appeals to adult humor as Mama Chimp hires a babysitter and goes out to dance the rest of the night away.
Dolly
Dec 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Fun and rhythmic narrative along with cute illustrations make this a fun book to read at bedtime. The chimps are having a lot of fun dancing the night away, but now it's time for bed. Our girls thought this was a funny story. We've read this one a few times and we love it!
Wendy
Oct 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Just used this book in my first reading program of the year, and the kids loved it! The refrain is so catchy - ee ee, oo oo, ah ah ah, ten little chimps do the cha cha cha - it's a great way to encourage kids to participate in the reading.
Kelly
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Illustrated by Eleanor Taylor. SUPER cute. The rhyming was great, and the "ee-ee-oo-oo-ah-ah-ah!" sequence was really fun for the kids. The backwards counting was appreciated as well. And the kids thought the ending was hilarious. I'll definitely be looking for more by this author.
Roben
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: story-hour
I used this in story hour today and the kids really enjoyed it -- especially repeating "ee ee ooh ooh ah ah ah". We finished up with the hokey pokey. I know a book is well received when a parent comes up at the end and asks to check out the book!
Karen
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week. He likes number books.

This book is a great book for any toddler/preschool kid who likes counting and monkeys or chimps -- you know, all toddlers/preschool kids.
Erin
Mar 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Fun little song book with neat pictures. Dylan asked for it every day before nap. Even if I (according to Brian) sang it off key and out of rhythm.
Angie
May 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: music-movement
Fun read aloud! Incorporate phonological awareness skills and counting.
Andy Ramos
Jul 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A fellow teacher recommended this book to me. The kids love it and get into the rhythm of it.
Mirjam
Sep 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
fabulous for its simple rhythm
Adrienne Konkel
I have been reading this to my 3 1/3 year old every night for last week and a half. Great.
Catherine
Apr 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Probably good for Pre-k through 1st grade, esp. if the group is energetic, not shy about moving around. Teach them repeating ee-ee, ooh-ooh, etc. phrase before sharing rest of book.
Jessica
Sep 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Cha-Cha Chimps is a wonderful counting book full of witty text and hilarious pictures! I had many of my kindergartners in hysterics reading this book.
Lauren
Jan 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great if you have something to bang on and add music beats together!!! We did this in our music class at my preschool- so much fun!
Megan
Lots of different dances are mentioned as 10 chimps go boogie with other animals at a dance club. A catchy refrain makes this a good choice for reading to young children.
Brandy
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love reading this for preschool storytime at work so I took it home to read with my two year old. He loved it and it was so much fun to have him do the monkey sounds with me.
Maricor
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great to read with K-3 graders. Fun teaching them the cha cha cha afterward. They loved it!
Leah
Bouncy rhyming text counts down the dancing monkeys from 10 to 1.
Sara
October 2012. H loved the pictures and she laughed at this story.
Erin
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Our family loves this book. The rhythm, the dances, the monkeys! It's a fun read for all ages.
Christen
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-alouds
Counting and dancing chimps? Yes please!! Great rhythm, reading for my jazz storytime.
« previous 1 3 next »

• I'm Dirty!
  • Zebra on the Go
  • The Book of Lost Friends
  • Chimpanzees for Tea!
  • Warren the 13th and the 13-Year Curse (Warren the 13th, #3)
  • Good Night, Gorilla