Start by marking “Help Them Grow or Watch Them Go: Career Conversations Employees Want” as Want to Read:
Help Them Grow or Watch Them Go: Career Conversations Employees Want

Help Them Grow or Watch Them Go: Career Conversations Employees Want

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  266 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Bestselling author and top authority on career development shows how managers and supervisors can support employees' career development - and thereby increase employee engagement, satisfaction, job-fit, passion, and work contribution - by having frequent short conversations with employees about their career options, needs, and passions.
Published September 17th 2012 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Help Them Grow or Watch Them Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Help Them Grow or Watch Them Go

Joi Reece
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another great read. Every HR specialist and supervisor/manager/executive needs to know these simple steps that can be taken to enable their employees to develop a career path and become more fully engaged. This book can also serve as the foundation for understanding the organizational talent pipeline.

“Career development is as important as it’s ever been (maybe more). In today’s business environment, talent is the major differentiator. And developing that talent is one of the most significan
Rick Weidman
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Problem solved! Trouble having "those conversations" with your employees? Weep or sweat no more! Pick up Help Them Grow or Watch Them Go and you will have in your hands, "THE GUIDE" to help you retain and grow your employees to reach their fullest potential. Great read, easy to follow and understand. Pick it up today, you won't be sorry....as a matter of fact, you just might be on your way to new found success in developing new leaders and enhancing the growth of existing leaders in your organiz ...more
Troy
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an incredible must have resource for all leaders. It is especially helpful for those leaders who struggle with how to develop their staff. This practical little book contains so many helps and tips for having those crucial conversations.
Jamie
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Review of:

Help Them Grow or Watch Them Go:
Career Conversations Employees Want
By Beverly Kaye & Julie Winkle Giulioni

I found Help Them Grow or Watch Them Go to be far more than just a helpful book. It is an amazing resource filled with inspiration, encouragement, ideas, conversation starters, and practical application exercises for those in management positions. It provides essential and sometimes overlooked tools for managers, ones necessary to motivate and guide employees on the path o
Zach
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick, very great read on the mechanics of being an effective leader of people.
Kathy Catalano
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would recommend this book. The book is an insightful way to rethinking employee coaching, frequency and helpful questions to ask. The read is appropriate for new and existing managers.
Teena in Toronto
I received a copy of this book at no charge in exchange for my honest review.

As an employee, I found it an interesting read.

If managers ignore career development, they have three threats:

* Employees leave because they believe their careers aren't getting the attention they deserve.
* Others decide the freelance life suits them better and get a variety of projects that becomes a career.
* There are employees who stay but withdraw their engagement, motivation and enthusiasm.

According to the authors,
John E. Smith
I am staring at this little book with bright green and yellow lettering on a black background and wondering ...

Why was this book so helpful to me?

Well, it helped me by reinforcing my beliefs about employee development and gave me some new perspectives. As someone has undoubtedly said, a leader is nothing without followers. In the modern workplace, we are slowly realizing the value of developing our colleagues, rather than treat them as replaceable "plug-in" parts of the organization. The increas
Joseph Iliff
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal-growth
In Help Them Grow or Watch Them Go, Beverly and Julie empower managers to promote the growth of their employees by demystifying the ideas of career development. Rather than leaving career development to just Human Resources and annual reviews, the authors use a conversational method, breaking up career development into lots of small manageable tasks, and broadening the scope from just being promoted up the job ladder. With companies and organizations being flatter than ever, employees and manage ...more
Guharaman Janakiraman
I received a copy of this book as a "follow-up read" to one of the leadership training that I attended. This book does open up some of the traditional career management thinking. I felt that this book truly addresses the needs of current workplace, which is gravitating to be leaner, flatter and fast-paced.

Key points that I found to be relevant and valuable:
1. Replacing annual career conversations with multiple, shorter conversations that are in touch with the day-to-day work.
2. Getting comfor
Jeff Goldenberg
Dec 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I received this book as part of a package of books from a management seminar my employer provided. It is short, but surprisingly useful. Very concise and to the point, which is thoroughly unexpected from any Human Resource-type author.

The message of the book is to guide your employees to find ways to make themselves happy with their work. It opines that keeping people happy with their work is truly the only way to retain employees in today's working world. It applies equally well to managers (th
Drew Weatherton
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The company I work for sent this to everyone in the firm who is a career manager. It's a quick read (110 pages with lots of diagrams) but it has very little fluff. It drills right down to the what is important in career development and recommends ongoing conversations where the manager is mostly in listen mode. Some of the recent changes in our company were clearly if not inspired by at least are in alignment with this book. I think it's a worthwhile read though I didn't find much here that surp ...more
Joyce Yanney
Book with helpful tips, guidelines, and more to help career building. Studies done that show how to improve and advance a persons career plans. By following a plan of frequent short talks with employees pointing out their strengths, interest, and weakness. Tell them where industry or company is headed. Help them design their own career plans. All will help keep employees happy, wanting to stay with the place of business where they are working, growing and moving up with the career they have chos ...more
Liang Gang Yu
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
C.G.
Sep 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-book-list
Help Them Grow or Watch Them Go has a complete lack of technical jargon, and uses a down-to-earth, practical tone throughout the book. Kaye and Giulioni bring the theory of leadership into the realistic realm of day-to-day work, dealing with the usual time constraints and an understanding that projects still have deadlines, but point out that employees still need to grow.

I've read books on leadership before, but this was the first one that I felt was truly geared for the needs of the average Jo
Kirsten
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this It's about having critical career conversations. How to retain people. How to help them grow and develop. If you don't, people WILL. People will most of care about their own growth and development. So get in there and provide feedback, help them discover their strengths, etc etc.
Pēteris
Aug 28, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The content of this book has the potential to be good. While it may not seem like it at a first glance, this book sounds like typical HR drone corporate speak: boring and dull (the memes in the book don't make up for it, they're embarrassing). I am keeping this book to remind myself how not to write a book.
Brett Noneman
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty decent read... Full of good suggestions for getting in touch with your team members' goals, passions, and strengths and finding ways to help them stay engaged and committed to their careers without killing yourself with paperwork to "check the box."
Michael Anderson
Don't be deceived by the simplicity of this book. The practices in this book will make you a better leader, your employees more productive, your business more profitable, and everyone happier. A quick read that will bring solid results.
Allison
Dec 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
This book was a bit deceiving in how simply it all reads, but there's really a lot of meat there. I have a lot of pages dog eared to refer back to over the coming months. Lots of interesting insights - hope it helps!
Suzanne Barker
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy read, powerful questions

This book provides a framework for career conversations focused on growth. I've read a lot on reflective conversations but the ides of foresight connections was new for me.
Noma Bruton
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sagacity-hr
After eliminating ratings from my company's performance management process, we used this book during training sessions with managers. It's a great source to help managers start and hold conversations with employees about their development.
Becky Robinson
Once you've read this book, keep it handy. It provides helpful ideas that you can use, in the moment, to have powerful conversations with team members to help them grow in their skills, perspectives, and career.
Julio
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book about Conversations

Good ideas to approach employees with conversations that foment them to think about their future. Recommended to business owner as is one of the aspects that is usually forgotten.
Kcthinker
I like the idea of have conversations. I wish the was more information on development strategies for people who are doing service work on how to get a foot into the door, for independent income / American dream type work.
Briana Novak
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick an easy read about keeping your employees engaged!
Nathan
Jul 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh

Fierce conversations was more challenging, more useful and more authentic. Will look for something else. Your mileage may vary. OK
Rick Yvanovich
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
A worthwhile quick read. Offers some really useful different perspectives to approach development that will of course result in better retention.
Emily
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actionable stuff that I'll actually use!
Lisa Brown
Average book

Fairly basic and not as much depth as I was expecting. I didn't find very many aha moments while reading this, but I wouldn't consider it a waste of time. Just average.
  • Radical Focus: Achieving Your Most Important Goals with Objectives and Key Results
  • Betterness: Economics for Humans
  • The Productive Person: A how-to guide book filled with productivity hacks & daily schedules for entrepreneurs, students or anyone struggling with work-life balance.
  • The 3 Gaps: Are You Making a Difference?
  • Rookie Smarts: Why Learning Beats Knowing in the New Game of Work
  • How to Say Anything to Anyone: A Guide to Building Business Relationships That Really Work
  • A World Gone Social: How Companies Must Adapt to Survive
  • Joy, Inc.: How We Built a Workplace People Love
  • The Genius of Opposites: How Introverts and Extroverts Achieve Extraordinary Results Together
  • The Discomfort Zone: How Leaders Turn Difficult Conversations Into Breakthroughs
  • The Skilled Facilitator
  • One Thousand Nights (Tales of the Latter Kingdoms, #5)
  • Leading from the Emerging Future: From Ego-System to Eco-System Economies
  • The Decision Maker
  • Homo Evolutis
  • Deep Future: The Next 100,000 Years of Life on Earth
  • The Living Company
  • Under New Management: How Leading Organizations Are Upending Business as Usual
Founder and Chairwoman of Career Systems International, Dr. Beverly Kaye is an international bestselling author and a leading authority in the world of modern workplace performance. She has dedicated her life’s work to helping individuals and organizations grow in a workplace that fosters greater commitment, fulfillment, and humanity.

Beverly Kaye and the CSI team provide cutting-edge and award-win
More about Beverly Kaye...
“Today, the lines between mentoring and networking are blurring. Welcome to the world of mentworking.” 10 likes
“Onward and upward has been replaced by forward and toward.” 2 likes