Start by marking “White Magic: Spells to Hold You, A Novel” as Want to Read:
White Magic: Spells to Hold You, A Novel

White Magic: Spells to Hold You, A Novel

3.05  ·  Rating details ·  113 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Need to attract a boy? Cure a fear? Let go of the past?

Yvonne has the spell for you.

After Chrissie's dad dies, her mom moves them to California to remarry. Chrissie's lonely new life is transformed when the amazing Yvonne jumps out of her apartment door and pulls Chrissie inside to join Yvonne and Karen in their coven of "good witches." Yvonne is part gypsy, and somehow wi
Published April 2nd 2009 by Wendy Lamb Books (first published August 14th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about White Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Magic

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
White Magic helped me get back into reading after going through a rough few months of not reading. It was a nice fun light read, but that's all it had going for it.

The book itself had NO plot at all. The story was very flat and all over the place at times. I never found myself getting attached to any of the characters. They were all pretty uninteresting and unlikable.
Luna
Mar 06, 2008 rated it liked it
This book wasa too simplistic, even for a young adult book. The idea was good, but the author could have gone farther and done better. Good enough for me to finish, not good enough to have me looking for more by this author.
Mar 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Cute book, but a little too short! It just skimmed the surface of the characters when I would have liked to read into their personalities in a little more detail. The end left many questions unanswered...
YoSafBridg
May 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
This is according to Yvonne, descended from Gypsies, and one of a coven of three white witches in Kelly Easton’s new young adult novel White Magic: spells to hold you, a book i picked up on a whim.

Some of Yvonne’s other rules:

You are not allowed to use drugs. Drugs are like running a race on broken legs and not knowing it.

You are not allowed to smoke, because (Yvonne) can’t stand the smell of cigarettes. (She) made her dad quit too. It was very hard on him.

Alcohol is okay, but only one glass of
Lucy
May 19, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: teen
Chrissie loved Vermont. She loved everything about it. The quiet woods, her goat Wilbur, her best friend Jason, and the way she and her father bonded over everything. After her father dies, her mother moves them to California, which Chrissie hates exactly as much as she loved Vermont—which is to say, a lot. There is absolutely nothing at all about California that she likes—until she meets Yvonne and Karen.

Yvonne is half Gypsy, half German, and all witch. She believes in the power of spells, the
Megan
Apr 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
As my third bingo book, I read White Magic: Spells to Hold You . This book is about three girls who are each going through struggles in their lives. Chrissie is a girl who has just moved from Vermont to L.A. after her father had died. To make matters more complicated, Chrissie’s mom has just become engaged to a new man who tries to win Chrissie’s love with material items. Soon she meets two new girls, Yvonne and Karen, who are in a witch coven. These two girls only use their “powers” for good an ...more
Cheyenne
This book reminded me of The Perks of Being a Wallflower in that it seemed that the author tried to shove as many issues as possible into one little story, just for the sake of doing so. Absentee parents, alcoholism, pregnancy scares, immigration.. oh my! It was all a little much. Also, I think the story suffered from having so many POVs. It's only a 193-page book, yet there are four separate narrators, so I never felt like we really got to know any of them that well (certainly not Jimmy).

That
Lexy
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really like this book, very interesting and funny in a way. I liked how three witches all became friends just like that when Chrissie just moved to Los Angeles. The spells Chrissie cast might have brought her some bad carma, but it was funny at what she did to other kids at her new school. I would recomend this to ages 12 and up because there is difficult language and some really bad and innapropriate words... But overall loved it and did this book for an oral book report came out good but i c ...more
Elsie
Mar 17, 2011 rated it did not like it
PLEASE do not read this book.
It was horrible, no plot at all, no climax whatsoever. The characters in the book were incredibly dull and hardly showed any signs of maturity by the end of the book. I wished that the author could have further explored these characters and perhaps written in a clearer direction as it had too many little problems happening at the same time. It was a good idea and everything, but could have been executed much better.
Annie
Oct 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
This book follows the lives of 3 students.
One of the students has just moved into LA and has to be away from her friends. Another one has been in love many times but the person that she has just fell for is in love with her best friend while she is always been called a slut. While the last friend who organized this coven has been a descent of a gyspy has always been trying to find her mom and wants to know who her mom really is.
Brenna Call
Nov 20, 2008 rated it liked it
I thought this book was just OK. I did like that it was a realistic book about witchcraft although I felt the spells and such in the book were hokey and immature. As a Wiccan I felt it made Wicca look like a game and that the book didn't take it seriously enough. All of the characters in the book seemed to have Mommy issues too, whatever point was being made wasn't strong enough. Like I said, it was just OK....
Sharon
Feb 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
What really enchanged me was the cover. Great blend of colors, but of course I don't mean to be like that...

It was kind of a short novel, but very insightful. There seemed to be a lot of meaning between the words.

I like the way the author changed the perspectives, that is indeed a hard thing to do.
Karin
Jul 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: realistic, teen
Chrissie moves from VT to CA and has a hard time adjusting. Then she meets and becomes friends with two other girls who claim to be white witches. Alternates perspectives between 3 girl characters, with a slow pace and an interesting combination of realism and magic.
Jillian
Jan 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, read-in-2015
There are some harsh reviews of this title. While the story may meander, it avoids the typical formula of many YA novels. It is an enjoyable short book that could have been great with a little more depth given to it's memorable characters.
Sydney Harris
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book was okay. Just that. It wasn't spectacular. And nothing to remember.
I never read some of a book and decide "Hey, I don't like it. I'll stop now."
I always read a book until the end. I wait to see if it gets better.
This book just stayed the same - flat line.
Mamatufy
Chrissie lived in Vermont quite happily with her mom and dad until he dies and they end up moving to CA. There's no real reason why but of course when she gets here, she doesn't fit in, big surprise. The story is all about acceptance and being one of the witches. Meh!
Kelsie C.
on page 15 this book is all about magic and things you can do with things you mix up into one thing.
Jessie Clements
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Okay.... but it has more potential to be abetter story. I stopped at about the same time I expected it to get interesting.
Sarah Leombruno
This book was half bad, half good. The story was alright, but I didn't really enjoy it that much.
Lydia
Feb 04, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: magical
Plotless. Pointless.
Katherine Harvey
Mar 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
I did like this one very much because it didn't always make sense to me. I also didn't like the ending at all.
Esther
Feb 18, 2011 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the different POVs, but sadly find the ending somewhat lacking.
The Library Lady
Nov 05, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-books
Too much going on in here--too many problems. The "magic" element is really no more than a distraction.
Cassidy
Sep 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
Herumph!
Jessie Clements
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Needed more.
Teresa
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
A good novel! Kind of boring though. And too short. Other than that I love the characters problems.
Bryna
ydnew
Jul 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Witches' Kitchen
  • The Traveling Restaurant: Jasper's Voyage in Three Parts (A Tale of Fontania #1)
  • New Moon (Moon #6)
  • Mirrorscape
  • The Silver Door (Moon & Sun, #2)
  • Bordertown (Borderland, #2)
  • Under the Green Hill
  • The Autumn Castle (Europa, #1)
  • The Chosen (The Nine Lives of Chloe King #3)
  • The Secret History of Elizabeth Tudor, Vampire Slayer