Start by marking “The Wedding Group” as Want to Read:
The Wedding Group

The Wedding Group

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  197 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Cressy has grown up in a world of women, presided over by her artistic, eccentric grandfather. Rebelling against the wholesome values of home, she leaves, takes a job and meets David - a self-satisfied journalist tied to his mother's apron strings. Their mutual need for escape binds them together.
Published February 1st 2001 by Virago Press (UK) (first published April 1st 1968)

To ask other readers questions about The Wedding Group, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wedding Group

Kirsty
The Wedding Group, first published in 1968, is Elizabeth Taylor's twelfth novel, and by no means her best. It has been reported in various reviews to be rather enjoyable regardless, so I went to it with open eyes, not expecting the brilliance of Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont and Angel, but fully thinking that I'd be captivated regardless.

The short of it is that I wasn't. It is a very ordered novel, particularly with regard to its character introductions and its measured descriptions, but it never
Ali
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elizabeth Taylor’s tenth novel first published in 1968 is not among her best and yet I enjoyed it enormously and I think there is plenty in it that is still interesting.
The novel centres on Cressy – a young girl who has been brought up in an odd communal family, a sort of religious/artistic community, presided over by her grandfather Harry Bretton. Like several of the characters in this novel Cressy is somewhat isolated – she wants to escape her family.
“Time always went slowly for Cressy, now
Mo
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
I am not enjoying this book and don't feel like reading it right now.

Suspended on page 108
E. Journey
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
No, not that Elizabeth Taylor. The other Elizabeth Taylor. These are a couple of published reactions when articles are written about that other Elizabeth, a British writer in the mid-1900s. Unfortunately, that shared name may be one big reason so many people have not heard of her. I, for instance, only discovered her, as I was googling for writers who write like Jane Austen.

Yes, she has been called the Jane Austen of the 50s and 60s by at least one other British novelist (award-winning Anita Bro
Kay
Jul 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Originally published in 1968, this is a gem in the tradition of Jane Austen: a domestic tragic-comedy, written with the understated wit and perception that British women have done so well over the years. There are two central characters: Midge, a middle-aged divorcee and Cressy, a 19-year-old girl who is trying to escape her family's life on a rural commune dominated by her artist grandfather.

Both women, though at the opposite ends of the scale when it comes to experience and resources, have mu
Pascale
Once again Elizabeth Taylor explores in almost painful detail the lives of various none-too-admirable characters within the London commuter belt, but this time she adds to the mix the hilarious description of a commune presided over by a successful but terribly vain painter who has complete ascendency over his daughters, son-in-laws and hangers-on. The only member of the tribe to dare rebel, Cressy, ends up marrying a journalist who still makes his home with his divorced mother. The girl, who ha ...more
Yana Stajno
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book by an often overlooked writer- sharp, heartbreaking, funny, acute. 180 degree twists in destiny in a sentence. beautifully, savagely observed characters. makes me relieved not to have lived in the fifies, and not to live in a village.
"'Gallantry' is such a word,' Nell said, looking about her at all the dark-suited men. She had hauled herself up to a high stool by the bar, and her skirt was rucked up. David glanced at it, thought of telling her, but could not be bothered.
Barb
Aug 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: followers of weird religious cults and/or anyone thinking about marriage
Shelves: novel
What I learned from this book? People change. Don't be lazy. Don't eat too many éclairs.
Betsy
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
A story about an artist who holds his family close in his own enclave with his grandchildren homeschooled and everyone supporting him, the family business. One child breaks out to live on her own in the nearby village and tries to make a life for herself. Her choices are limited and reflect the narrowness of the story to me.
SarahC
This is an interesting story of young adults and the families that encompass their lives. It was published in 1968, but it has a timeless atmosphere which makes it easy to imagine taking place in any time period. The main male character David comes from a family, traditional on the surface, but that has also experienced divorce and displacement. Still living at home, David ignores much of the extreme manipulation by his mother. Cressida, the young woman at the center of the story, has grown up i ...more
Deryn Guest
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another closely observed account of personal lives, again, with a character who disturbs the status quo who recognizes the manipulations at work and can stand outside the constraints of politeness in order to live more freely. A wry humour is subtly embedded as is the portrayal of human pettiness and small-minded selfishness via characters caught up in the web of relatedness. It is the women who can live beyond this web of manipulation that attracts despite their minor role in the overall script ...more
Maureen
This is another new author for me. She brings together three lonely and unsatisfied people, a man, his mother and a 19 year old woman who has just managed to flee a closed Catholic community. Cressy's lack of contact with the local village people cause her to crave another more open life. Her naivety and almost complete lack of knowledge of the world make her irresistible to sophisticated David and his mother. This cover is totally inappropriate to the story, a pet hate of mine.
Gobasso
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
A wonderfully understated author who reminds me of the novel of manners ala Jane Austen. How we choose who we marry, why we choose them and the consequences on the families involved are the subject of this novel. While the reader knows that this marriage will not end happily ever after, Ms Taylor's characterizations and subtle dialogue are well worth the read.
Deborah J
Mar 31, 2016 rated it liked it
It was strange to read an Elizabeth Taylor set in the 1960s. Somehow it just didn't fit, but that's probably my problem, not hers. The wit and acute observations are there, but I've timelocked the author in the 1940s. However, it was still a real pleasure.
Janet
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved the writing, the wit and the characterisations but not the ending. I was so hungry to find out more and felt that such a soft ending left way too much for the reader to deduce. Maybe I am lazy though, so do read it. I am looking forward to reading other Taylor books
kymdotcom
Nov 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, virago
Oh, I was so looking forward to finding out how this book was going to end, because it had to be disastrous one way or another, as is every Elizabeth Taylor ending. And it was, but in such a very restrained manner that it makes one shiver to image the final ensuing scene.
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not my favourite of her books but still beautifully written, I really do aspire to write prose like hers.
Caitlin
Aug 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Really 4.5 stars; nearly perfect.
Gina
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
after loving taylor's 'angel' SO MUCH i've found her other novels to be quite uneven. this one started off wonderfully but dragged about halfway through.
Mandy
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another gem from Elizabeth Taylor
Lesley
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this much more than A Game of Hide and Seek, even though, considered objectively, it's probably just as depressing as a story. There just seems a little more acerbity that balances it out.
Sophie
Oct 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Slow and sad, the importance of the everyday and the strings that bind.
JoLynn
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wonderfully written story of lonely people thrown together in different ways. Reminded me many times of Barbara Pym.
eric
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Beyond the Glass
  • The New House
  • The World My Wilderness
  • Phoebe Junior (Chronicles of Carlingford, #6)
  • The Echoing Grove
  • No Signposts in the Sea
  • Miss Mole
  • This Real Night
  • The Rector's Daughter
Elizabeth Taylor (née Coles) was a popular English novelist and short story writer. Elizabeth Coles was born in Reading, Berkshire in 1912. She was educated at The Abbey School, Reading, and worked as a governess, as a tutor and as a librarian.

In 1936, she married John William Kendall Taylor , a businessman. She lived in Penn, Buckinghamshire, for almost all her married life.

Her first novel, At Mr
More about Elizabeth Taylor...