Start by marking “The Twitter Diaries: A Tale of 2 Cities, 1 Friendship, 140 Characters” as Want to Read:
The Twitter Diaries: A Tale of 2 Cities, 1 Friendship, 140 Characters

The Twitter Diaries: A Tale of 2 Cities, 1 Friendship, 140 Characters

2.59  ·  Rating details ·  373 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
"The Twitter Diaries" tells the story of pen pals for the 21st century. Two parallel lives separated by an ocean but united over a social network. Tuesday (@Tuesday Fields), a sports reporter and Stella (@StellaCavill), a men's shoe designer, are Brit 30-somethings who are introduced in NYC on NYE by a mutual friend, a notorious transatlantic TV presenter. They strike up a ...more
Published May 21st 2012 by Bloomsbury Reader (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Twitter Diaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twitter Diaries

Inge
Jan 31, 2017 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
DNF 46%

Very light, airy, and fluffy, which is just what you want in a cake. In a book, however, you need a bit more.
Amy
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Can you write a book from the perspectives of two people, keeping each person's lines to 140 characters or less?

Yes, you can.

But is it any good?

Well ...

Stella Cavill and Tuesday Fields meet cute: they both rush in late to a swanky Manhattan party, Stella decked out in haute couture and Tuesday in a Virgin Atlantic sleeper suit, luggage lost en route from London. Stella happens to have a couple of shopping bags with her, and gladly spiffs Tuesday up. The two blondes, who look so much alike that t
Belinda Missen
My best friend and I have an agreement: if one of us dies, the other burns the computer hard drive, and deletes every social media platform we can think of. Why? Because our conversations are not anything like what are featured in The Twitter Diaries. In fact, they'd probably have us chased out of town ala Shrek and Fiona. Because of this, I was keen to see what The Twitter Diaries was all about.

There's always something a little bit delicious about being fly on the way in conversations. You hop
Shaznie Mardhiah
struggle saya nak menghabiskannya. It doesn't interest me much hoho
Priya
Mar 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an ... entertaining read, if anything. Certainly nothing mindblowing, inspiring or novel, if it comes to that. The premise of a friendship conducted over social media (that, too Twitter, in this age where Twitter has become a "political weapon") is what snagged my attention — and indeed, held it, simply because much of what the story depicts is easily a parallel to my own friendships. The level of superficiality remains a downer; much of what happens as "catastrophe" remain very topical ...more
Anjana
May 21, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Twitter Diaries revolves around the friendship between Stella and Tuesday, who get introduced to each other at a New Year's Eve Party. Over the course of the next year, they bond over twitter sharing their thoughts and stories about pretty much everything.

For the most part, I guess this was a decent read but just not as good as I wanted it to be. I knew going in that this was more of a feel-good novel and didn't expect anything big/deep from it but this isn't the first book I've read that (supp
Juliet
Dec 03, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly I thought this book will be interesting given that it is written in twitter format and I am an avid twitter user myself. Just 20 pages and I'm super bored with it. I can't understand what the author is trying to bring out with this story. The gossip between the two ladies doesn't make a single sense and it is completely NOT funny. I'm glad that I didn't buy this book but I felt that I have waste a dollar to reserve this book from the library because its new.
Vicki Farthing
Mar 27, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one.
Shelves: meh
What a disappointment!! I heard about this book when the authors were on BBC Breakfast and the idea etc sounded really good. I got a chapter in and I was struggling to read it. Half way through I was loosing the will to live! I finished it just in case it got better. It didn't!

The idea is good and I think in the hands of another writer it would be a great book.
Sarah Goulding
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wasn't sure what I'd make of this book when I first started to read it. Not something that I'd normally read. But have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. Cleverly written and fabulous story line. Really enjoyed it!
Sam
Very bland story line, the characters were quite realistic, it had a decent layout but I wouldn't read the book again.
Rose Ann
Could not get into this one at all.

The premise sounded so interesting to me.
A book based on twitter conversation.

I just couldn't get into it.
Emma-Louise
Check out my review website at www.untitledviews.com !

I had been umming and ahhing about whether to buy this book on my Kindle for a while before I finally took the plunge. When I first saw this book advertised, I was definitely intrigued – with the world of social media slowly taking over, it was only a matter of time before it started penetrating literature. As well as being intrigued, I was also sceptical – could a good story really be told only using dialogue of 140 characters? The answer to
Sonia
May 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seeing as Twitter has been around for almost 6 years now, I guess it is hardly surprising to find a book almost entirely composed of tweets between two people. In fact, it is probably more of a surprise that it has taken this long – although I am not altogether sure that it’s the first…it is just the first that I have come across!

The Twitter Diaries begins on New Year’s Eve when a society party in New York held by Peter Mignon enables is the setting for a meeting of 30-something Brits Stella Cav
Jessica Gaskin
Ok, so I probably could have guessed that this wouldn't be a masterpiece. However, I was mildly intrigued by the thought of a book entirely in 'Tweets'. I figured this could allow the author to be very clever with the structure and in doing so lead to a very original style of story-telling. Unfortunately this opportunity was missed. The 'Tweets' are not genuine 'Tweets', they are actually direct messages (ie instead of public messages in the style of mini-blogs - which could provide the opportun ...more
Liyana
Dec 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a quick and fun read. Light chick-lit and would probably upset those who expects more in a back-to-back conversation of 140 characters and less.

It's a friendship between two ladies in their thirties struggling to make it in their career and love life. I love the idea of two people blabbing away their lives in private (reference - DM aka direct message) and that the gossips shared online suits today's world so much. Mind you, if you're not the sort who keeps up with social networking then
Krys (Black & Write Reviews)
Via Black 'n Write Review
My final thoughts:

In this day and age, social media is the greatest connector. Allowing people to reconnect, stay connected, or become connected from anywhere in the world. In this case, the two women: Stella, an entrepreneur in men's fashion footwear, and Tuesday, an up-and-coming for Wake Up Britain, start this wild correspondence discussing their love-lives, their works-lives, and their mums. Becoming each others greatest support systems and learning a lot more about
Sharlene
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Twitter Diaries is an interesting read of how a relationship builds through direct messaging via the social network Twitter.

What did I think of Tuesday and Stella?
Luck comes to Tuesday & she scores a TV star position. I really like that the fellow co-host isn't the nicest guy in the world. It brings out the funny, darker side to Tuesday. She comes across as the softer one of the two main characters.
Stella has worked hard to keep her company afloat. She is giving away her shoes to celebs
Derrian
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up from a charity shop, a) because the entire book is in tweet format and not something i've come across before and b) because it was written by a 'celeb'. I'm always quite interested to see how well a celebrity fares when they bring out a novel, as to whether they can hold their own in the literary world.

The whole book is a tweet conversation between two female characters (quite clearly the two authors) who have a transatlantic friendship. There are moments of humour, and libertie
Audrey Black
This was an okay read and one that was very quick (well, it would be seeing as it was only a series of twitter feeds). I did enjoy it nut it wasn't absolutely brilliant. I guessed that one of the characters, @PM_TV, was based fairly heavily on Piers Morgan and his twitter nemesis, @LordTw1tter, based on Lord Sugar. Imagine my complete non surprise to find out that Piers Morgan was the person to bring the two authors together! A bit more imagination on that front would have been great! Taft said, ...more
Jenny
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this story!

Its an adult contemporary that focuses on two new friends, one from NYC, and one from London who attend a mutual friend's New Years party and hit it off. The book takes place over one year, as they both struggle through personal and professional challenges and its in Twitter format. I really enjoyed it, and got used to the "tweeting" pretty quickly. It will help if you know Twitter before you read this though! Funny and touching read all at the same time!
Betty
May 22, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-review-copy
The premise of The Twitter Diaries sounds intriguing As Goodreads summarizes two British women "put the world to rights, one tweet at a time".

Alas and alack, I had a difficult time diving into this book. The British-isms were difficult to understand. The tweets were difficult to follow changing from one topic to another. Younger readers would enjoy this book more because they grew up with texts, IMs, and tweets.
Daphne
Jun 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, mini-review
Two British women (one living in America, the other in London) meet one New Year’s Eve and click instantly, and begin a Twitter-centric friendship during the following year. I didn’t get a lot of the British slang and references (despite the fact that I’ve read tons of British-themed books), so it was kind of hard starting off, but it was very good, funny and short. I didn’t want to stop reading. 3.5/5
Kirstie
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Just not that great.......I certainly wouldn't recommend it as a book I couldn't put down. Two girls meet at a New Years party and therein follows a year of their tweets to each other. Well not even tweets, it's direct messages.
A weak story line filled with designer labels and name dropping
Salwa
Apr 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
I have no idea what to expect at first. I owned a twitter account but I never used it. Haha. I picked this book because it was different. Bridget Jones diary was amazing, so I just have to read this. However, it just a so-so. The storyline was OK, but having to deliver it just in 140 characters each, ermmm...not really. Or it just me, I want detail. NO!! I NEED details. Haha.
Samra Muslim
Considering that we live a parallel twitter universe and have a whole circle of people in our lives that we only know as on the basis on their twitter handles ... This was a pretty relatable book to read!

Light, cheesy, cliched chicklit - but based on tweets between two female friends and their 'issues' ... Interesting, mindless read! Good book to read during travels ...
Kay
Sep 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a book I picked up for a mindless and enjotable read. It didn't disappoint. It's not the greatest of literature, but it's fast-paced and you do get to care about the two twitter friends and their lives.
Marie Monson
Jan 06, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Tried to finish this since it was a gift, however, I found that what small amount of character development took place in this tweet-based book left me more disinterested in these two characters and their dramas. Gave it one star because it was at least a clever idea.
Beth
Dec 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-we-own
it was enjoyable. it didn't need to be on twitter, but I loved reading a book which was entirely just a conversation between 2 friends. no narrative description. just one long 350 page conversation.

could have been much better. but was a nice read!
Anita
Aug 27, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've never enjoyed a book written by two people, and this one continued my experience. (Why did I bother then? I didn't notice until I'd got it home from the library - a random pick.) The twitter communications limit the story line and the setup at the beginning were annoying. Didn't finish it.
Farhana Aziz
May 14, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book as I thought the concept and idea is very interesting. Yet, upon reading it, I found that it is too simple and boring. And yes, I was struggling to finish it.

I think that it is best if the author can include dates for every conversation occurs.
  • Comfort & Joy
  • The City of Shadows (Stefan Gillespie, #1)
  • The Inside Track
  • The Gallows Curse (CRYPT, #1)
  • Witch Crag
  • The Hunger Games A-Z
  • The Modern Girl's Guide to Sticky Situations
  • Billy Elliot
  • The Dead of Winter
  • Notes on a Cowardly Lion: The Biography of Bert Lahr, With a New Preface by the Author
  • Dumping Billy