Start by marking “Moonday” as Want to Read:
Moonday

Moonday

What do you do when the moon lowers itself into your backyard?
When mornings are replaced by perpetual night,
and people sigh-sleep in their eyes.
What do you do when the tide comes in,
and all the neighborhood dogs won't stop howling?

You take the moon for a ride.

Adam Rex creates a fantastic tale that is both imaginative and beautiful; one that blurs the line between drea
Published September 3rd 2013 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Moonday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moonday

Start your review of Moonday
paula
This book is so light, light in a lovely, slow, dancing way. It is quiet like snow falling and branches creaking and little taps of chalk on chalkboard. It's like a nice song playing on a radio through a window down the street.

But the specific things I appreciate are these:

1. Lines with rhythm and a little internal rhyme in places, but not rhyming text: "Hushed, they shuffled through slush and dozed off at stoplights."

2. A mom who is up for the adventure but practical at the same time: "Okay. Z
Kaethe Douglas
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Now everyone is going to be wanting one! I love the idea of a small planatoid in my backyard. Sure, there are drawbacks, but apparently it's possible to get the gravity just right, so that one can walk around upside down like the Little Prince.

Gorgeous story with a clever kid.

***

Everyone has moon displays for the 50th anniversary of the moon landing and for the theme of this year's summer reading programs. So I picked it up again. Still love it.

Also I worked out that what I only very dimly remem
Becca
Moonday by Adam Rex is my nominee for the 2014 Caldecott winner. I chose this particular book because the drawings were so colorful and electric that it draws in your attention so fiercely. When the little girl discovers that the moon has lowered into her very own backyard, the illuminus moon just shines right out of the book. The reflections from the bright moon onto the people are outstandingly drawn and really gives the reader a feel for how bright the moon really is. This illuminating effect ...more
Vivian
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I can appreciate the child's fascination with the moon. I vividly recall observing the moon through the car window and having the sensation that it was following me home. That is the crux of this story, but it leaps to hyperbole in the same way the story about what would happen if it were Christmas every day. The story trounces on the romance a child has with the moon. Didn't like the illustrations either.
Maggie Tokuda-Hall
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
again, read this one for the first time years ago, but still stand by my opinion that it's Rex's most underrated book
Rachel
What is supposed to be an imaginative and beautiful take on a child's day with the moon, comes off as confusing, by trying to do too much in its short space. When the moon comes down from the sky it causes mayhem to the world's sleep cycle, tides, and dogs. The author mentions how important the moon is, but barely gets across how much it would be affected, in fact it makes light of what would happen. Certainly, the moon is depicted with great beauty, but even that is given little attention.

As a
Callie *Fights Censorship*
A nice whimsical story about the moon following a girl home. The star of this story is the beautiful artwork, the moon is gleaming out of the page, gorgeous. A great bedtime story. Keep an eye out for a cameo from the author as the bespectacled father.
Miss Kelly
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful illustrated picture book about the full moon. I am using this book for my family program.
Meg Stolte
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Moonday is an imaginative, beautifully illustrated book about a little girl who wakes up to find the moon has descended into her backyard. Morning never comes, and everyone at school and throughout the town is sleepy and drowsy as they go about their day in darkness. Meanwhile, the main character and her parents try to cover the moon with tablecloths before they decide to go for a drive, where they can then see the moon from afar, on top of their hill.
This book is a picture book, as it contains
Barbara
When the moon decides to hover in an admiring child's backyard, at first it seems rather cool to have the moon so close at hand. But the rest of the town, even the teacher and students, seem tired and sleepy. It even attracts the attention of howling dogs and the tides. Eventually, the youngster decides that too much of a good thing might not be desirable, and suggests taking the moon for a drive to the beach. After telling it to say there, the family returns home to a good night's sleep--presum ...more
Rebecca
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
More beautiful work in this fanciful story from Adam Rex. I love the Norman-Rockwell-esque illustrations and the dedication "for Little Nemo." Definitely a sign to read more Little Nemo in Slumberland - Too Many Splendid Sundays. Moonday might be interesting paired with JOhn Rocco's Blackout. ...more
Rachel Watkins
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, arc
MOONDAY is the type of fanciful bedtime read-aloud that will send your child into dreamland with gusto. When the moon settles in a family's backyard, the result is a town full of yawns and a slower pace of life that is novel at first but taxing after a while. Realistic illustrations make this story even more attractive to readers young and old.
Rebecca Honeycutt
An interesting departure for Adam Rex--this is a more dreamy, luminous story and style than some of his previous, more madcap work.

The page depicting the lullaby-crooning garage band especially tickled me.
Mike Hutchinson
Sep 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another great picture book from Mr. Rex. Not as silly as his past works, but he did force us to have the conversation with our 4th grader of how moon could be a noun and a verb. The art is perfect and the story is magic.
Beverly
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pbf-general
A unique, lovely story in which the moon follows a girl home and stays in her backyard. While it is fun for her to walk all around the moon, the moon also keeps the next day from arriving. Very nice paintings.
Julie
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Quirky with gorgeous, photo realistic illustrations. If you've ever rode in the backseat of a car and watched the moon "chase" you, you will find a lot to like in this imaginative story.
Jennifer Graham
I have loved Adam Rex since I stumbled upon Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich on display in a local bookshop years ago. That was before I even had a kid to rationalize the purchase, but I got it anyway. It is a perfect storm of morbid humor and expressive illustration, and it still makes me laugh out loud in some places. Rex is one of the rare author-illustrators whose prose and art are *both* remarkable.

Moonday is a simpler, quieter story. But as with FMAS, Rex once again pairs a poetic sensibility
Misbah
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, nostalgic
A little boy watches the moon out of his car window and that night the moon comes down to Earth and hangs low in the boy's backyard. They try to get rid of it but it doesn't budge and engulfs the town in perpetual night. When the whole town just walks around sleepy, they decide that the moon must go back up in the sky. In the end, they finally manage to get it back up there.

Reminds me of those quiet moonlit nights of my childhood that I would spend watching the moon follow us as we drove along
Sheri
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book is about the moon and the colors of pages are dark because it is told at night with the moon shining. The fantasy part is when the moon actually sits just over the child's backyard almost touching the ground, the parents cover the moon, and the child stands on the moon. Shows a time when school is in but the darkness outside and the moon's presence is still there. Maybe the read aloud would be a time to question real vs. fantasy and what to believe and not to believe.
Nancy Kotkin
Creative premise but the execution lacks focus. The unquestioning zombie-like people in the story, including the parents and the teacher, overtake the book, rather than concentrating on the boy's wondrous adventure with the visiting moon. For a picture book, there is way too much attention given to adults.
Yesha
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, although the illustration style was mixed for me: I loved some of the illustrations, especially the way the moon was depicted; but the way the people were shown was a mixed bag (in my opinion.)

However, I LOVED the story and the sweet strangeness of it, and the perfectness of it for a nighttime story! Ergo the five stars!
dantheolumona | aviecayl uy
“Moonday” by Adam Rex had had a creative premise – the moon on a family’s backyard – although I would have to say that I was not as invested in the text of this storybook. But overall, the combination of the art and plot was satisfactory and would make a good story to read aloud to children.
Ashley
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this little surreal story. When the moon turns up in our protag's backyard, what happens next? The artwork was lovely, too. This is a perfect bedtime story, and just the thing for my first read of 2018!
Trisha Parsons
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love that this picture book encourages abstract thinking and playfulness as the moon is hanging out in this family's backyard and causing tidal waves in their yard and darkness all around the town. The family has to figure out how to get the moon back in the sky.
Meg
Jun 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children
Reading a bunch of moon picture books in advance of the Lunar Landing anniversary in July, but this one just did not click with me. I thought the story was completely nonsensical. Maybe that would be charming for some readers, but I wasn't enchanted.
Kelly
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
One night the moon shows up in a boy's back yard. Now what does he do with it?
Jenn
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful pictures.
Michelle
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A bit long for very young readers.
Katy
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Add this to the "books that made me think I accidentally took drugs" list.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Good Night, Little Blue Truck
  • Should I Share My Ice Cream? (Elephant & Piggie, #15)
  • Wolf in the Snow
  • Steam Train, Dream Train
  • It's a Busy, Busy World
  • Sam and Dave Dig a Hole
  • Grandfather's Journey
Adam Rex grew up in Phoenix, Arizona, the middle of three children. He was neither the smart one (older brother) or the cute one (younger sister), but he was the one who could draw. He took a lot of art classes as a kid, trying to learn to draw better, and started painting when he was 11. And later in life he was drawn down to Tucson in order to hone his skills, get a BFA from the University of Ar ...more