Jump to ratings and reviews

Double Star

When Cepheus, a dark god, forces seventeen-year-old Ally Ashworth off an isolated overlook, she has no idea she's falling into his world, or that the necklace she’s wearing is actually a key - one with the power to ignite the next world war. But she’s carried beyond his reach and into the one place where he’s powerless ... the forest of Gilgamesh.

Ally’s never been Miss Popularity, but her outsider status takes on new meaning when she’s rescued by Liam Cheveyo and his peculiar friends. After seeing them shape-shift into their freaky humanimal counterparts, Ally smacks hard into a few truths: magic really does exist and, although getting here took no effort, finding her way back might be impossible. Feelings between her and Liam begin to grow along with the realization that, in this world, she’s stronger, better ... until she’s caught in a trap set by the creepy spider-boy Cepheus sends to retrieve her. But Ally’s not going down without a fight, not after learning the horrible truth about the passageways.

The survival of both worlds depends on it.

286 pages, Paperback

First published October 25, 2012

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Cindy Saunders

3 books31 followers
Double Star is the first novel by Cindy Saunders. She graduated from Bryant College with a BS in Accounting and lives with her family in Exeter, RI.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
7 (4%)
1 star
8 (5%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 40 reviews
Profile Image for Paddy O'callaghan.
249 reviews67 followers
April 1, 2013
Saunders' Tome is simply terrifc. The beautiful cover drew me to check it out, just so I could get a closer look at it. I was not disapppointed, and, have xhecked out what it was all about, I decided to purchase and read. How serendipitous was I? Immensely, this is normally not the kind of thing that I'd read, but I've not regrets whatsoever, It was absolutely great. Thanks Ms Saunders; please write some more books.
Profile Image for Rachel.
117 reviews
February 28, 2014
Review-

***The author sent me this book in exchange for an honest review. The author in no way influenced this review.***

Describe this book in one sentence- Real world meets parallel fantasy universe in an epic battle of light and dark forces.

Rating- PG to PG-13

Why this rating?- Violence, destruction, mild kissing, and some language (Seven words).

For ages- 12-35

Recommended to- Fans of Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore (Graceling), Fairest by Gail Carson Levine (Fairest), Dragon Slippers Box Set by Jessica Day George (Dragon Slippers), and Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (Ella Enchanted).

Stars- Three and one half out of Five.

Why this number of stars- I actually feel bad giving this book a lower rating than I think it should have. I didn't believe this noel was worth a four star rating, but it should have been higher than three point five stars as well.

I enjoyed the fact that the cover applied to the content. Every image you see on the cover, you will find in the book. I also like what the publishing company that published this book believes in. They believe in telling the reader what they will be reading before they read it. The company tried to create a system much like the movie rating system (G, PG, PG-13, etc.). I loved that when you read this novel you can tell how much time, effort, and love was taken to put it together. The words are so entrancing that you quickly find yourself transported to the forest the book is set in.

Some things however, could have been done to make this book even better. The first few chapters were confusing and rapid. This makes it hard for the reader to get their bearings. After a few chapters I figured out what was happening and was enchanted, but those first few chapters really threw me. Earlier when I was talking about the publishing company I mentioned their rating system. I had to go online to see what that was all about. To make it easier for the reader, they should have included the rating system as a page in the front of the book. Last, but certainly not least, I really did not like the last chapter of the book. I feel like it was more of a first chapter than a last. Ms. Saunders, in my opinion, should have used it as the first chapter to the second book in the series.

Would I read the second book?- When the second book comes out I will be one of the first in the line.

(Summary and pictures come from Goodreads.com)
Profile Image for Tressa (Wishful Endings).
1,718 reviews181 followers
September 5, 2013
I was basically hooked from the first chapter. We're in the middle of Ally's nightmare and things aren't necessarily going according to plan. When she wakes up, reality sets in. She's basically a normal teenager getting ready to start college. I guess you could say that this is more of a NA book then YA because of that. The story continues on as Ally is thrown (literally) into a parallel world where we meet the tall, dark, and handsome Liam.

Just as in the beginning of Ally's story, I was completely pulled into Liam's as his begins. Just from these first few chapters I knew that this story was going to be good. The writing is fairly smooth and I liked my first impressions of the characters and the storybook world the author had created. I also really liked the play off of Greek mythology.

Liam's and Ally's first impressions of each other aren't as favorable as mine. They are both strange to each other and are also both outspoken in some ways, so they end up annoying each other a little. That changes, though, as they get to know each other better. They end up sharing their thoughts with each other and filling each other in on the world they live in or, in Ally's case, came from. There is also an almost immediate chemistry between the two. They share some sweet moments and Liam finds out what it should feel like when you kiss someone.

I really enjoyed the story as the plot progressed and Ally and Liam are banded together with other friends as they take off on a journey. There is enough suspense to keep the story moving and some intense moments. I wasn't exactly sure how things were going to end, or maybe more accurately, how they all were going to arrive at the end. Not that this is. This is only the first book in the series.

Here is one quote from Ally that I really liked:

"She had never dreamed she could feel this happy again.
Why?
Because dreams can be dangerous. What if you imagined your life traveling a different path, only to find that place was out of reach?
But what if you never try?"

Overall, this was a great read! If you like mythology, fantasy, and sweet love then I would definitely recommend picking this up!

Content: Clean
Source: Purchased from Amazon during a free promotional period.
Profile Image for Mandy Reads Indie.
1,544 reviews100 followers
March 23, 2013
What happens when you fall off a cliff and wake up to 3 strangers? You ask to use their phone so you can call your mother, of course. But the strange looks Ally receives is anything but reassuring. The last thing you want to hear is “Phone??” Where the heck is she?

Let me start off by saying that I actually almost put this book down. The author had warned me it might be something that I am not used to reading. But I have read something similar and I actually ended up really engrossed in the story. Every time I had to put it down to do non-reading things, I found myself itching to get back to it.

Keep in mind there are several characters (mostly guys) and each have a characteristic about them that the reader must remember at some point or another. That is what I always got hung up on. It is probably just me though. But the two main characters are the most prominent, of course, and are easy to follow. Readers are going to love them…I know I did. And little by little I found myself wishing Ally would just find a way to stay with Liam. He is where she needed to be.

As the story progresses, Liam and his friends must do a 5 day travel to meet with his father, in hopes of finding a way to get Ally back to her world. So much happens on the journey just in a couple days’ time and we reach the end of the book before they make it to Liam’s father. But the stuff that happens brings them closer to the answers they have been seeking all along. There are people they meet along the way that plan huge roles in their journey and finding those answers. And magic is everywhere around them and in them…it really is a fantasy tale if I have ever read one.

I recommend this story to any and all who love fantasy, magic, and supernatural. It is fully loaded with all that and more and is sure to keep the reader entertained. I know it did me and I am really glad I kept reading. I look forward to the next book so I can find out if Ally decides to stay with Liam or return to her mother.
Profile Image for Jon Messenger.
Author 25 books301 followers
June 17, 2013
Cindy Saunders created an incredible fantasy world within Double Star, one that I found myself completely engrossed in to the point that I read the entire book in one day.

Ally is transported from modern America to the Forest of Gilgamesh, where special young men bear the physical and personality traits of the animals spirits they harbor. These Shanyo escort Ally on the first leg of what quickly becomes a very dangerous journey.

The author does a remarkable job in character development throughout this story. From Ally's character - who can't understand why the people around her have never heard of a phone - to all the Shanyo, she does a great job of balancing individual personalities. With six characters on the journey, plus a multitude of supporting characters along the way, Cindy Saunders never lets the reader lose sight of the strengths that make each character unique.

Double Star is a fascinating read and one that I highly recommend to all avid readers. It spans genres and is a great first installment of what I can only assume will be an exceptional series. I impatiently look forward to the next!
Profile Image for Ginny  Gallagher.
277 reviews84 followers
October 7, 2014
Original review posted on Gin's Book Notes (http://ginsbooknotes.com)

I picked up Double Star when it was on a free promotion sale but I can honestly say I would have gladly paid $2.99 for it. It is a book that once I started reading it I didn’t look up from until the end and was startled to find that the rest of the world hadn’t slipped away into the pages of Double Star with me.

The world building is fantastic, the characters are well developed, and the story is just wonderful. Cindy’s writing allows you to get a really good understanding of many of the character’s struggles and personalities and you feel as if you grow close to many of them rather than just one or two main characters. There is conflict, action, character growth, magic, and mythology galore. I’m not going to go into all of the characters because honestly they’re all great.

In a lot of ways I felt the same after reading this book as I did when I finished Harry Potter. The connection to the characters and the world they lived in was very vivid and I can’t wait until book 2 of this fantastic series comes out. It is a wonderful young adult fantasy that I would not hesitate to recommend to anyone!
Profile Image for Radeyah H.  Ali.
Author 9 books18 followers
June 6, 2013
Cindy Saunders creates a world parallel to ours in which the oddities of our existence is highlighted.

Ally's world is turned upside down when she finds out she is a long long way from home where the people have never even heard of a phone! How will she get back to her mother on earth, the only family she has left when there are no such things as buses, far less for planes where she is? On her journey she has met a quaint little family and what she experiences far surpasses her expectations.

Saunders takes the reader on a thrilling emotional journey, leaving us in awe and anticipation at the last words in this first installment of her Double Star Series.

I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in feeling like there is still hope for good in this world.
Profile Image for Angel Sharise.
92 reviews
May 16, 2013
Cindy Saunders debut novel is nothing short of amazing.
Double Star has the perfect balance of fantasy, magic, romance, and humor. Cindy beautifully revealed the strength and vulnerability of each of the main characters that allowed readers to develop a really wonderful relationship with each of them.

This is a delightful adventure that is sure to keep the reader entertained , and one that I would recommend to anyone. Now bring on the next book please!

Received from Goodreads First Reads.
Profile Image for Crystal.
1,490 reviews29 followers
April 20, 2013
The author did a wonderful job on this book.

Very magical and just made me get lost in the story. I was wanting to take my time and also wanting to rush thorugh it so I would find out how the story ended. I wasn't disappointed. When I read stories like this it makes me believe in anything. Makes me wish I could go back and be a child again and to feel the magic of all things and believe in the ones I don't believe anymore.

Thank you for writng such a wonderful book.
Profile Image for Sally Hannoush.
1,877 reviews22 followers
July 6, 2013
I would love to read the next book. This is a YA "good clean fun" fantasy world. The writing brought wonderful images into my mind of the alternate world.
Profile Image for a_tiffyfit.
759 reviews93 followers
September 28, 2013
Haven't we all wished that we were somewhere else, a whole other world when we were young? How nice and wonderful it would be if there were other worlds like ours but better? Although Ally hadn't wished for it, that is exactly what has happened to her. But of course there is more to the event than it appears! In that other world is where Ally discovers herself and more. Much, much more!

Although her desperate goal is to return home to her mom and her friends and to the world with which she is familiar, it doesn't hurt, or it hurts a lot less, to have great looking guys surrounding her and lavishing her with attention she hasn't known in her own world. Surrounded with new friends, including a few elders who took exception to her, Ally quickly adapts and becomes absorbed in the new world's problems at hand, which she learns is also her home world's issues as well. They are aligned or linked: what happens here also happens at home.

Ally discovers that the seriousness and severity of events has connections to her inadvertent fall into the world of Liam and Corm and Isian and Shane and Oisin and Meg...all of whom are very special in their magical way. Ally senses that it is not just the boys, but the place, too.

And, as with all love stories, of course there are issues such as another girl and the huge green monster known as jealousy! It certainly helps to make the story spicy and full of well known human emotions, creating a page turner as the reader (me!) just needs to discover what is next, what is coming, what's the next phase!

Although the boys are given magic, Cindy Saunders has graced the female characters with strong senses of self and confidence and personality that makes up for the lack of the "magical abilities" of the boys. The girls are not prissy types. Intelligent, insightful, efficient in using their feminine mystique. No weaklings here, but still there are a few whinings that bring these characters to life, making them seem real.

Yes there are the familiar villains, how can an excellent story not have an obstacle or two to overcome? As you know by now if you've read my reviews, I don't do spoilers, so you're not getting the specifics from me! My final word on Double Star: Go get this book and enjoy it. Take yourself away to another world and discover magic and love and the tenacity of a young woman who happens to end up in a world far far away and yet so close to our own, who discovers herself, what she is made of, and who discovers love and deep friendships. And she does this all while keeping both world's from ending. Looking forward to reading more in this saga myself!
Profile Image for Brittany | BookRamblings.
275 reviews36 followers
February 10, 2015
I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! :)

Ally Ashworth is a typical teenager until she falls off a cliff and wakes up in a parallel universe to 3 strangers who don’t know what a phone is. How will she find her way back to her mother and best friend? Her journey is full of excitement, loss, love and New allies. I got lost in the world that Cindy created. It was rather easy to get into and I found that the author created such likeable characters that you could really feel involved with. She also created such beautiful settings and scenes that I could vividly see unfolding throughout the story.

I love how the story follows all of the characters so you get to see what every character is doing all of the time which was interesting as we got to see what ‘Dark God’ was up to. Cindy has created a thrilling, emotional journey leaving us hanging while we wait for the next book of the series.

I love a book that can surprise me and is full of unexpected twists because I am not easily surprised as I can sometimes guess the ending of a book. Although I couldn’t guess the ending, I didn’t find myself getting surprised about something unexpected happening but I guess the characters relationships with each other and the reader and the captivating chapters make up for that. Double Star has the perfect balance of fantasy, magic, romance, and humour and I would recommend it for someone who is up for a little magic and reading about a whole new world within our own.

The ending has left me anticipating the next book (not so patiently might I add). I cant wait for more!!! :) Happy reading xx
Profile Image for Meredith.
105 reviews14 followers
June 14, 2013
4.5 Stars

Double Star is an exciting read, set in a beautiful world, with amazing characters that you can’t help but fall in love with. First off, I want to live in Gilgamesh. The descriptions are stunning and the magic is mesmerizing. The scene with Ally and Liam at the lake is so well done and completely draws you into to this place where it’s as if time has slowed down. The friendship between Liam, Corm, Oisin, and Shane is something we all probably long for.

Ally is a great main character. She’s tough and adapts to her odd surroundings. Yet she is also a teenager, not always thinking first when she speaks. I love her musical talent with the violin. It brings her character even more alive. And of course her relationship with Liam is amazing. She goes from the bratty nuisance to his inspiration and true love. As the reader you get to enjoy seeing the relationship totally evolve.

The book is full of wonderful secondary characters from Corm the honorable, to the antics of Oisin, Ian and Shane, to sweet Meg and wise Thea, and even to the complex Caleb. I love that Ms. Saunders gives the reader a complete picture of Caleb. He is more than just the minion of the evil Cepheus.

Speaking of the whole story, there’s so much more I want to know. The end is really more like the beginning. There is so much more ahead for this group, many battles are likely in their future. But the bond they share is unbreakable. This book will make you wish you could fall into such a magical, wonderful land where a person’s word is their bond. I can’t wait for the series to continue and to see what lies ahead for Ally and Liam and their friends.
Profile Image for Amanda Shelley-Masters.
436 reviews21 followers
July 31, 2013
I really enjoyed this book! the characters were awesome and the storyline was so adventurous and unique. I have never read another quite like it and I quite enjoyed the sense of danger, intrigue, and fascination that this story invoked.

When 16 year old Ally gets lost in a world not her own she is sure that things couldn't get much worse. Rescued by the handsome but bad tempered Liam and his strange friends Ally is sure that they must have some screws loose somewhere as no one has even herd of a phone, a car, let a lone an indoor toilet.

When Liam reveals the secret of the forest to her Ally is sure she is dreaming as nothing from her world could ever prepare her for this. Liam and his friends are shape shifters and each of them have their own unique magic about them. Ally knows that getting home isn't going to be easy but leaving is getting harder and harder to bare. Ally has started to fall for Liam, what will she do when it is time to leave?

Turns out it might not be happening any time soon as something sinister lurks in the forest and has been awaiting her arrival and it isn't going to let her leave, not until it gets what it wants.

Amazing book! I loved all the characters! Cindy Saunders is a really great writer and I really enjoyed the story. Corm was my favourite he was so wise and such a great friend to Liam and Ally.

I really liked the bad guys they were pretty creepy and they gave a great fights to the heroes time and time again.

A definite read for one and all!
Profile Image for Tiffany Riach.
108 reviews8 followers
June 8, 2013
Double Star is amazing!! This book pulled me into its world and I did not stop reading until I finished reading and was left wanting more.

Ally is thrown from our world into an alternate universe that is nothing like our own. She is found in the forest by Liam, Corm and Meg and soon finds out that she is nowhere near home, has no idea how she is going to get back and that she has a lot to learn about the forest she ended up in and some of the people that live there.

Once they find out where Ally is from and how she might be able to get back home, Ally, Liam, Corm and 3 of their friends have to go on a 5 day journey that will be much more dangerous than they predict. The journey is made even harder for both Liam and Ally with the possibility of losing each other so soon after finding the feelings they have for each other if Ally finds her way back home.

Double star is like no book I have read in a long time. The characters in this book are incredible. I fell in love with every single one of them, they had me laughing out loud and even crying a few times because I was so attached to the characters. After reading that this is the first book that Cindy has written I cannot wait to get my hands on the next book in the series because even though this book was amazing I can only imagine the second book will be even better.

I received this book in return for an honest review.
Profile Image for Karen.
133 reviews
February 11, 2022
I won this book at a blog giveaway and cleanteenpublishing immediately sent me the book in the format I wanted,and I will get the bookmark soon(I will upload a picture over as soon as I get it)
Wow!I am speechless,this book is like nothing I every read before.
what I loved about this book:
The main character's love interest: was so sweet :D ,although at first he seemed like a cold heart guy,I soon discovered the reason, and found him different from the cocky guys you usually get in yount adult books(yes he was actually sweet)
The place:as you can probably see,in the blurb,it is set in a different world,I loved every single thing about that world, everything fit into place,and I just wanted to be there(although I can't live without my laptop)
Mythology:I loved how the author mixed mythology stories within the story+history(King Arthur)it gave me extra knowledge,and made it more interesting

flaws:
Long hair:I don't really mind boys with long hair(well that's a lie)but with ponytails-even worse
The main character:the main character seemed like any other character in fantasy books - nothing irregular,just a normal girl,nothing special about her

Conclusion: 4.5 stars - I can't help it I have read too many books, if you don't mind an ordinary main character,you should give this book a try, it won't disappoint you.
Profile Image for Aimee (Getting Your Read On).
2,933 reviews242 followers
September 24, 2014
Double Star started out really slow for me. Fortunately it picked up as the story went on and I found myself enjoying it more and more. By the end, I was into it enough that I was miffed at how it abruptly ended.

As far as characters go, my favorites were the ones that actually had less face time in the book. I loved Grandma and I wish she would have been a bigger part of things. I loved the people Ally and Liam's group of friends encounter as they begin their journey. The little burned boy, the boy who speaks only through pictures... And Caleb. Those were my favorite characters.

There were some editing problems- scenes that jump and such. For example in one part, Liam walks into the kitchen where everyone is eating breakfast. Someone asks him about his sword and then in the next sentence/paragraph it says, "They stood in the front yard." Huh? How did they get there? It was some small things like that that had me going back to double read. Sometimes the story just felt choppy.

I didn't love this book. For me it was just okay and I liked some parts better than others. I really liked the pictures at the end of the book though. It really helped me get a better idea of how everyone should have looked and it was cool to see the shifters and their animal counterpart.

There is swearing (H,D,A,B,S) and profanity.
Profile Image for Kristin Scearce.
487 reviews16 followers
July 3, 2013
Disclaimer: I received an e-copy in exchange for an honest review.

Ally's on her way to an interview that will change her life. Little does she know, her life's about to turn upside-down, and not in a way she ever expected.

Double Star is a wonderful book, published by an up-and-coming company that rates its books so readers are prepared for what lies within the pages. I'm incredibly glad I got to read it, as I think it's a perfect example of a story that everyone could, and probably should, read. Throughout, I paused to reflect on my own life, about how I've taken many of the things I have for granted, and what I would do if I ever lost them. I think that's a fantastic thing to take from a fictional story, meant to entertain, and I would definitely recommend this to pretty much anyone. I am certainly looking forward to the next installment, and will keep my eyes peeled for more releases from Clean Teen Publishing.

5 stars =)
Profile Image for Linda.
2,944 reviews2 followers
March 3, 2014
Ally Ashworth had overslept, it was a crucial day in her life, a day of if she could get a scholarship with Northern Arizona University for Performing Arts or if she was doomed for humongeous student loans. As she traveled to her interview, she followed its directions to the letter, but she ended up at a pull over cliff sight in Sedona! This couldn't be right but she needed to stretch her legs any and as she looked out over the cliff railing, she thought how her deceased dad would have love looking at the sight! The next thing as she turned around to return to her car was she felt dizzy and she plunged down the cliff...............

Oh, gosh! YOU MUST READ THIS BOOK!! Ms. Saunders takes her readers on a wonderful story filled with truth and myth as Ally lands in an alter universe with no way to return home and is the key to both worlds future!!
Profile Image for Claire Taylor.
417 reviews13 followers
June 15, 2013
Double Star
Cindy Saunders

Within the first few chapters, I became completely hooked by this story. It’s very unique and the scene setting is in such detail that it allowed me to feel like I was right in the middle of it all. Ally and Liam have such a connection, which is easy to see from the start, and it was great seeing it develop slowly as the story unfolded. It’s well written with great character development and isn’t rushed, the story slowly becomes clear and by the end of it all I wanted to do was continue the story.

I received an e-copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Marsha Graham.
205 reviews12 followers
July 3, 2013
I thought I'd give this YA book a try and found it to be a delightful quest and buddy journey with sweet and clean teen longing (romance) as well as thrills and chills along the quest. Enjoyable for an adult, and it would also be fascinating for a YA who enjoyed Harry Potter or other magical sorts of questing.
4 reviews3 followers
March 4, 2013
I enjoyed reading this book. It is a quick read with an interesting story line. Another book is to follow. I look forward to the sequel's release. I would recommend this book to others, especially teens and young adult readers.
Received this book as a Goodreads First Reads.
Profile Image for Elizabeth Otvos.
30 reviews
April 28, 2014
Double Star was a great surprise! I am always looking for books that I will enjoy and can pass on to my kids. This book definitely fit the bill. My kids both wanted to read the next book, but alas it was not out yet. Hope to read the next one soon.
Profile Image for J.P. McLean.
Author 11 books65 followers
February 22, 2014
Saunders starts off beautifully, immediately dropping readers into the mystery. Ally and Liam are likeable characters whose adventures have only just begun. This is a smooth, adventurous YA romp, sure to be followed up with other titles.
Profile Image for Isobel.
Author 8 books52 followers
April 23, 2014
Thought this was a really original concept - well written YA fantasy. I'm interested in this genre, it was nice to read something that felt different to the other books. Want to know what happens next which is always a good sign!
Profile Image for Selina Delgado.
19 reviews
May 28, 2014
Got this as a first reads and I liked the idea of being shape shifters not like your typical vampires or immortals that every book seems to have all-in-all I liked this book, glad I won the contest
Profile Image for Melissa.
194 reviews8 followers
June 12, 2018
Destiny, light romance, and adventure

A satisfying tale of another world where myth and legend are real. Enjoyed The journey although some characters could have been developed more and some things about the storyline could have been better explained such as: Alley's necklace and its importance. So if you like adventure in other worlds than this book is for you.
Profile Image for Jenn.
896 reviews6 followers
April 11, 2019

I was originally going to DNF this because I was bored at first. I mean it’s not the best but it did get a little better. The proper speaking irritated me at first but then I started to appreciate that was one of the ways you can tell the difference of where the story takes place.

I like how Ally is kinda tied to Liam’s world. Liam’s world is a cool one. Everyone is different on things they can do and I wished I could do it too!

I liked the sweet moments between Liam and Ally. Of course it didn’t start that way but I was rooting for them from the beginning.

That ending sucked. It ended abruptly. I thought this was a standalone but nope. I think it was supposed to be a series but the author hasn’t wrote a follow up. If I knew that then I wouldn’t have picked this up. I hate being left hanging.
Profile Image for Spirit of Wonderland Reviews.
305 reviews59 followers
February 21, 2017
My Review
4 Roses

Double Star honestly really surprised me with how much I enjoyed it. I was expecting a good story, but not necessarily one I would love. That's exactly what I got though- a story I fell in love with.

Ally is a fun character to follow. She is feisty, witty, and has a charismatic personality. You really get pulled into her adventure, following her as she works through the new reality she finds herself in. The idea of falling into another world is usually always interesting, and I love the world Cindy Saunders has created, with her humanimals and magic.

Liam and his friends are awesome, and I love their energy. They are all described very well, and each one is completely different. Together, they all make a solid team, and is a group of guys any girl would love to have watching her back. I also really loved how Ally helped Liam through his personal demons, and helped him grow and heal. They are a great couple, and I'm really curious to see what happens between them.

While I did love this story overall, I do feel 4 roses fits best, for two main reasons. First, the stories of the "gods" and the passageways was a bit confusing. I kind of felt like that needed to be explained a little more, since that's the entire reason Ally ended up in the alternate world. The story focused more on Ally learning to survive in this enchanted world, and her budding romance with Liam. Nothing wrong with that at all, but I would have liked the explanation of the passageways and the legends of the gods to be a bit more important.

Second, I didn't really understand why, when Cepheus only needs Ally's necklace, he still chases after her. Several times, his goons had the necklace, and could have taken off, but stuck around to try and capture her as well, only to lose the necklace to her or her friends. It may have been vaguely explained near the end of the book, but I wasn't sure, and throughout the story, I was a bit confused.

Overall though, I really enjoyed this book. Reading about this enchanted forest was fun, and the writing is good. Mrs. Saunders has created a wonderful adventure, and I'm hoping the sequel will explain the parts of this book that were missing. I would recommend this book to any fantasy fan.

*I was given a complimentary eCopy of this book, via Clean Teen Publishing, to read in exchange for an honest review.

Check out my blog post for this book!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 40 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.