Start by marking “The Mystery of the Fiery Eye (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of the Fiery Eye (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #7)

The Mystery of the Fiery Eye

(Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #7)

The Three Investigators must solve an old man's riddle to uncover a great fortune for their friend, Gus. But they're racing against a sinister bunch of treasure hunters who are also hot on the trail. Who will arrive first at the mysterious Fiery Eye?
Published 1967 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the Fiery Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the Fiery Eye

Start your review of The Mystery of the Fiery Eye (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #7)
Quentin Wallace
I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the previous books. I don't know if the formulaic stories are starting to wear on me, or it this one just wasn't as good.

The international boy this time was English, so they are sticking with that plot device. This time they are searching for a cursed ruby. It's a pretty typical mystery, with nothing special and no big surprises. Still not bad, just less than what I expect from the series.
Nandakishore Varma
There was a time, during my middle teens, when I positively used to worship these books! I found the Three Investigators much more intelligent than the Hardy Boys. Especially Jupiter Jones, the stocky First Investigator.

This story, about a so-called "cursed stone" from India, follows the standard trope of the adventure story but thankfully, is not racist. I loved the trail of the cryptic clues leading to the treasure - similar to that in The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot.
Mark
2009 review - Alfred Hitchcock approaches the boys with their latest case, endeavouring to help an English boy (August August) to find his inheritance, a jewel called The Fiery Eye. The only clue is a cryptic letter but also on the trail of the jewel is a sinister Indian and a gang of thieves. This is fast paced, good fun and features Liz Logan, a talkative young girl who desperately wants to be an investigator herself (and who, I now know, is based on Robert Arthur’s daughter Elizabeth). Very e ...more
Michelle
I adore riddles! We get a fun one in a cryptic message this time. I beat Jupe to the punch and figured it out before him. Sorry, Jupiter. Better luck next time.

We have a missing jewel, some mysterious busts, a riddle, and a boy named August August. (Really? So dumb). Anyway, the Three Investigators are on the case, and when I say the Three Investigators I mean Jupiter Jones, with a little bit of Bob Andrews thrown in for basic library research. Pete, you are dead weight, my friend. I fail to see
Jeff Stephenson
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
AH&T3I Update: 7 read, 21 hardbacks to go!

Confidence renewed! What a great addition to the series! All of the titles in the Three Investigators series are great stories, but after the first 5 titles were absolutely awesome, I recently lamented that the sixth book seemed to be fairly "Hardy Boy-ish" in structure. The sixth book seemed to rely more on lucky breaks and improbable finds than on good old fashioned deduction of the facts. That is not really a bad thing. It is just not what I expect or
Kolan
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best childhood series I read starting in the fourth grade. The best of the so called "syndicate Books" Reading them now brings back the memories and pleasure I had when reading them as a child.
Alex
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best stories in the Three Investigator series since the Stuttering Parrot. Excellent pacing, tension, and riddles.
Christian West
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
Three young boys run an investigation agency and are contacted by Alfred Hitchcock to find a missing inheritance for someone called August August.

Firstly, what a mean set of parents August has. But apart from that, the book was fast moving, had a number of twists and turns, and kept me interested. Lost a star because everything wrapped up very quickly in the end.

This was the first of the Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators books I've read, but I'll seek out more as it was enjoyable.
David Veith
3.75 Fun read, easy to follow and loved the old time talk. Well that's just smashing! Wish people still talked like that! I also enjoyed that at the end of the book Alfred Hitchcock sort of came in and wrapped up any lose ends, very complete that way. Most likely meant for younger audiences.
Bev
In this outing Alfred Hitchcock brings the mystery to Jupiter, Bob, and Pete. He introduces them to his young English friend, August August. Gus, as he prefers to be called, is looking for help solving a riddle left him as part of an inheritance from his Great-Uncle Horatio who recently died in California. Presumably, if the riddle can be solved, there is some sort of "treasure" to be found. Jupiter assumes it must be valuable, since Great-Uncle Horatio went to great trouble to code the directio ...more
Becca
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Maile Elton
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-1-10
The three boy detectives are at it again in their seventh mystery novel. This time around, they help August August, Gus, decipher a cryptic message left for him by his uncle, promising him a valuable fortune after his death. But straight from the start, they have people on their trail trying to beat them to the treasure. A man called "three-dots" and another called "black mustache" are on their scent. The boys must quickly decipher the clues in the message in order to solve the mystery and to fi ...more
David Phipps
The Three Investigators is a juvenile detective series published in the 60s, 70s, and 80s that spans about 43 books. They feature three teenage boys who mostly investigate paranormal type stuff that they debunk (somewhat like Scooby-Doo) or other abnormal crimes that the police do not handle. They report their cases to Alfred Hitchcock or a fake director depending on which versions you read. Their base of operations is hidden away in the depths of a junkyard and it has multiple hidden entrances. ...more
H
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of the Three Investigators books, I like the Stuttering Parrot the most, but this is up there alongside Terror Castle and Whispering Mummy as another enjoyable read. There's some really lucky/unlucky breaks that push my belief a bit, but I overlook those since it is a childrens' series and there's a lot of action and decently clever moments to draw me in. I appreciate a lot of things like Octavian's name, and moments like the kids being trapped. I hope the female Liz Logan reappears in this as a ...more
Cliff
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suffice it to say, this one pushes the boundary of belief. I realize that the intent is to show that many astonishing adventures happen to these boys. I'm willing to accept that they attended a popular museum exhibit at the same time as a jewel heist occurs. I'm even willing to accept seemingly innocuous mysteries can lead to much larger crimes. But with this book, Jupiter's uncle just happens to purchase the items from an estate that coincidentally happens to be at the core of the mystery they ...more
Sathya Sekar
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
finished the reread (after some 25 years) yesterday. The book holds up surprisingly well after such a gap. it doesn't feel kiddish or tame. It is rather "adult-dumb" at times but the mystery is interesting and moves very well.
Redwan Hasan
Read this book earlier, I mean read another book that was based on this book, not a bad story though but kinda liked the copied/inspired one more.
Brettsinclair70
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books got me into reading. Full of geeky charm..
Renee Peyregne
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series, they are hard to find, but they are enjoyable quick reads.
Henrik Warne
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read a lot of The Three Investigators books when I grew up, so re-read one for fun. Nostalgia, but quite OK story. The early books (by Robert Arthur) are the good ones.
bluebunny80
After a long hide and seek with busts, the true answer lies in a really different angle.
Vika.K
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's kind of creepy but its good
Eric
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this series as a kid with my mom. I purchased an old, used copy online and just read it with my youngest daughter. The first few chapters were a bit boring, but then we got hooked and couldn't put it down. A good, clean mystery.
LobsterQuadrille
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids, nostalgic 3 Investigators fans

I've lost count of how many times I've read The Mystery of the Fiery Eye. Suffice it to say, this is one of my favorites of the series. The clever twists and turns are typical of Robert Arthur's original books of the series, as is the consistent likeability of Jupe, Pete, and Bob. I also enjoy the wry humor of this and Arthur's other books. Such as this quote from the unforgettable Aunt Mathilda: "Be careful there, Pete!... That's a very valuable and artistic statue. I'm planning to ch
Heather
Jun 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Forumlaic? Check.
Predicatlbe? Check.
Kept me reading for hours as a child? Yes.

I know these books have been updated a bit, so I hope that hasn't changed the overall flavor of the adventures of Jupiter Jones and his friends. The Three Investigators are kids who are freelance detectives who work out a junkyard. They are so well known a prince from a a fake Eastern European country requests their assistance to see who's plotting his assasination. Didn't every kid dream of such an adventure? I spent
Mark
Mar 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alfred Hitchcock approaches the boys with their latest case, endeavouring to help an English boy (August August) to find his inheritance, a jewel called The Fiery Eye. The only clue is a cryptic letter but also on the trail of the jewel is a sinister Indian and a gang of thieves. This is fast paced, good fun and features Liz Logan, a talkative young girl who desperately wants to be an investigator herself (and who, I now know, is based on Robert Arthur’s daughter Elizabeth). Very enjoyable, with ...more
Wavegenerator
I'm obsessed with this children's series of mystery novels, and this is perhaps the best one of the batch. They have a quaint, dated, innocent quality about them that I quite enjoy. I read this book when I was in about fourth or fifth grade, and now I own one of the original illustrations from it. Go Three Investigators!
Jackie "the Librarian"
Mar 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young mystery readers
I love a good puzzle, and this is a fun one, with Jupiter and pals trying to solve a will in the form of a cryptic poem. They must track down the busts of several famous Greeks and Romans, figure out the angle of sun at the right time of day, and keep one step ahead of the villains trying to keep their client's inheritance away from him.
Read it if you can find it!
Lance
Aug 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
This series is a wonderful one for kids. The Hitchcock character only does what amounts to cameos, and sometimes, if I remember correctly, doesn't even show up at all. The ones about the Mexican bandit and the Spider stand out in my mind and I remember them quite well. Overall, they were all fun to read.
Mike
Jan 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Came across a stack of "The Three Investigators" mysteries at my parents house over the holidays. I burned through these Hardy Boys knock-offs as I kid and had fun reading this one to my son. How can you give less than three stars to a book where the bad guys, without a hint of humor, are called The Black Mustache Gang?

• Die drei ??? und die Schattenmänner (Die drei Fragezeichen, #65).
  • The Case of the Dancing Dinosaur (The Three Investigators: Find Your Fate Mysteries, #2)
  • Die drei ???. SMS aus dem Grab (Die drei Fragezeichen, #126).
  • Die drei ???. Labyrinth der Götter (Die drei Fragezeichen, #91).
  • Die drei ???. Die Karten des Bösen (Die drei Fragezeichen, #83).
  • Die drei ??? Stimmen aus dem Nichts
  • Záhada mesta duchov (Traja pátrači, #63)
  • Die drei ???. Fluch des Piraten (Die drei Fragezeichen, #132).
  • Le Petit Nicolas a des Ennuis
  • Die drei ??? und der Mottenmann
  • Die drei ???. Im Bann des Voodoo (Die drei Fragezeichen, #79).
  • Die drei ???. Poltergeist. (Die drei Fragezeichen, #73).
  • Five Go Adventuring Again (Famous Five, #2)
  • Die drei ??? Feuriges Auge (Die drei ???, #200)
  • Die drei ??? Verbrechen im Nichts (drei Fragezeichen)
  • Die drei ??? Höhenangst (drei Fragezeichen)
  • Kde je Ester N?
  • Die drei ???. Doppelte Täuschung (Die drei Fragezeichen)
Robert Jay Arthur, Jr. was a mystery writer known for The Mysterious Traveler radio series and his Three Investigators series of novels. He is frequently confused with the film producer Robert Arthur, who was nine days older than mystery writer Robert Arthur, Jr.

Robert Arthur, Jr. wrote a number of mystery books, mostly for children, and he also worked on the anthology television series Alfred Hit

Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • The Secret of Terror Castle (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Whispering Mummy (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #3)
  • The Mystery of the Green Ghost (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #4)
  • The Mystery of the Vanishing Treasure (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #5)
  • The Secret of Skeleton Island (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #6)
  • The Mystery of the Silver Spider (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #8)
  • The Mystery of the Screaming Clock (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #9)
  • The Mystery of the Moaning Cave (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #10)
  • The Mystery of the Talking Skull (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #11)