Start by marking “A Warrior's Heart: The True Story of Life Before and Beyond the Fighter” as Want to Read:
A Warrior's Heart: The True Story of Life Before and Beyond the Fighter

A Warrior's Heart: The True Story of Life Before and Beyond the Fighter

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  71 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
With the success of the critically-acclaimed, Academy Award-winning film "The Fighter," the world stood up and cheered for the inspiring true story of Micky Ward--a heart-and-soul warrior who overcame the odds to make history in the ring. But that was only part of the tale...
Now, in his own words, "Irish" Micky Ward tells his inspirational life story as only he can.
From
Published May 1st 2012 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about A Warrior's Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Warrior's Heart

William May
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book basically because it is non-fiction and affirms the old principle that hard work pays off. Anyone can write fiction. Not everyone can tell the truth.
Blake Knudsen
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolute great book, as well as the movie! This is way more in depth about Micky Ward than the movie, and provides inspiration to all!
Martin Sharp
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The true story of Irish Micky Ward. The Fighter.
a wonderfully honest autobiography
Mark McNulty
May 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I may have been a little biased going in, since I was already a fan of Micky Ward, but I found this book to be very enjoyable and loaded with sincere honesty. The love Ward has for his family is palpable, but he does not hesitate to call them on his flaws and failures. His level of honesty is brutal at times, as he shares details of his past that had to be uncomfortable at the least and, probably, rather painful. His insights into the sport and business of boxing are fascinating. From cover to c ...more
S.
May 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book ended up being a pretty interesting and compelling argument against the American War on Drugs and the US prison system. On the low, of course. On the face, it's about boxing, which I'm interested in anyway. And the book's conversational style felt like I was sitting at a bar in Southie, listening to Micky tell me about the time when he was a boxer. Good stuff. But the points he makes about drugs, addiction, & prison are salient. I'd most certainly add it to a related LibGuide or rea ...more
Andrea
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really do not know why I picked up this book, since I do not follow boxing. I finished the book and it was a fairly pleasant and easy easy read, however the language was fairly simplistic and would probably lend itself better to the spoken word.

I did like how positive and realistic Mickey stayes throughout the book. Despite lasting brain damage he remains a greatful person and isn't afraid to take responsibility for his mistakes.
LAWonder10
I think it was interesting but a little drawn out.
The x-fighter wants to be a youth speaker and I feel
wanted this book to be read by youth but in no way
would I encourage youth to read it.
If he desires a youth to read it or hear his story, he needs to clean up
his language and terminology. The youth hear it all at school and worse
but we, as adults, need to encourage them differently not add to the
problem.
A truly great writer can get the point across without the vulgarity.
Lori
Mar 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Micky Ward was a good boxer, but he's not an author. He repeats himself a lot and the entire book is written as if he is talking to you face to face. Still, it was an interesting story, if you've seen the movie The Fighter and want to know a little more about his life.
Elise
Jul 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable, honest, interesting read. A little blood-curdling at times. Definitely only for those ready for profanity and blow-by-blow descriptions of boxing matches. And for those with any connection to Lowell.
Dennis
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a boxer-in-training myself, "A Warrior's Heart" proved to be quite appealing, focusing on not only the boxing aspect, but the personal relations area of pound-for-pound fighter Micky Ward.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »