Start by marking “Snake and Bacon's Cartoon Cabaret” as Want to Read:
Snake and Bacon's Cartoon Cabaret

Snake and Bacon's Cartoon Cabaret

4.49  ·  Rating details ·  243 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
A collection of comics presents the exploits of such characters as the mannister, two-fisted Poe, Mister Bossman, Cousin Grampa, and underpants-on-his-head man.
Published September 1st 2000 by PerfectBound

To ask other readers questions about Snake and Bacon's Cartoon Cabaret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snake and Bacon's Cartoon Cabaret

Josh
Sep 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the tired and absurd
"Have you ever tasted adventure in your own BATH TUB?"

"What? What kind of question is that? Who are you and how did you get into my office?"

Culled from Michael Kupperman's weekly comic strip "Up All Night," this book is an appropriate ode to that feeling of sleep-deprived anhedonia you get when you're... well, up all night.

It's filled with surreal characters and nonsensical situations - Peter Faulk as a crime-fighting robot, the enabling "pirate in your dresser," an inanimate-object-brawling P
Andy
Feb 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Kupperman is very much a rarity in his field; a comic book artist who deals in a dreamlike humor that is witty and inventive, and free of the usual sophomoric or juvenile drag that seems to plague some of his colleagues. Another great comix artist of similar quality would be Tony Millionaire.

You will laugh so hard, you'll fall off your freakin' sex blimp.
Kelldicott
Dec 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone, especially fans of dada and absurdist humor.
Un-be-frickin-lievably funny, weird, and random as all heck. Ted Spas made me read this, if that tells you anything. And we now share an until-death love for Mr. Kupperman's little projects. This book is a gem. I challenge you not to die laughing halfway through the book. I did. Luckily, I was resuscitated by a level-headed passerby.
Joseph
Jun 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
If you like highly anachronistic comics involving hoboes, pirates, robots and Mark Twain and Einstein as a crime-fighting duo, you should buy this immediately.
Mike
Dec 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
What else can you say about this book except "ssssss" or "Pat me with a paper towel to remove excess grease?" Enough said.
Jeff
Nov 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Michael Kupperman's comics are an acquired taste for sure, but if you've got the hunger, Snake 'n' Bacon's Cartoon Cabaret is the fix you need. Kupperman is not afraid of the absurd, and may even harbor a disdain for common sense and logical plot development. That's all to the good, since his unique universe gains its strength from pure absurdity and a very flexible internal logic. Kupperman can be hilarious when he wants to, and even when the jokes fall flat, the bizarre scenarios usually provi ...more
Jim
Dec 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Glen Baxter fans
Shelves: comix
Michael Kupperman gots the crazy. His comics are full of bizarre characters, pointless detours, meaningless and boring plot twists, and the little-known facts of famous people's lives. Typical comic plot line: a man gives himself the strength of twenty men.... and subsequently flees from the twenty-five men who want to beat him up. Plus, there's the hilarious exploits of Snake 'n' Bacon, who never stop hissing and tasting good in the face of adversity. You need this book, is what I'm trying to s ...more
Chapin
Nov 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books of all time. I have never laughed, out loud, so hard, sitting alone reading a book as I have with this little slice of genius. At any given time, I'm not really sure whether I currently have a copy of this or if I've lent it out. Usually I'll just buy another. This book will change your life.
Andy Matuschak
Jan 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Cartoon Cabaret feels like pulp fiction. It feels like it's from before I was born. But at the same time, its humor has this straight-faced absurdity that's modern and wonderful.

For a representative example, see "Love's Tiny Robot": http://www.flickr.com/photos/16938754...
David James
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Michael Kupperman may well be the funniest cartoonist alive. His work makes "The Far Side" look like the "The Family Circus" by comparison. Dada surrealism with heaps of pop culture references, and recurring appearances by Mark Twain, Pablo Picasso, Underpants-On-The-Head Man (the greatest superhero of all time), and a talking strip of bacon. How could it go wrong?
Morgan Yew
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, humour, collection
Take a journey into madness with Kupperman any chance you get. Picasso is here. Underpants-on-head Man is here. Snake & Bacon, they're here. You should be here too.

Discovered Snake & Bacon in Ivan Brunetti's masterfully curated Anthology of Graphic Fiction, Cartoons & True Stories Volume 2.
Walkermettling
Jun 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
I was recommended this book years ago by Johnny G., who I believe read it for the first time in the car evacuating from hurricane Katrina.

This comic is the best absurd humor ever! Ever! It's Great great great!
Will
Jul 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphica, absurdity
Not as good as Tales that Thrizzle. Still funny parts and nice tie-ins connecting completely different story lines. He's clever and he's a good drawer-er, but this early work shows even how much he's improved in his artistic medium.
Barrie
Jul 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
After coming off of Maus this was just a disappointment. Felt a lot like everything you see on Adult Swim, but not nearly as funny. Yet another graphic novel that tries to be weird for weird sake, but doesn't actually make you laugh at all. Move on...
Arpad Okay
Apr 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with brains
Shelves: comics
this is the funniest book you will ever read
Matthew
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Many of the cartoons in this book make me chortle even after multiple viewings. That's a rare and beautiful thing. The artwork is freakishly detailed. This guy knows what the hell he's doing.
Craig
Oct 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I'm real bacon. Pat me down with a paper towel to remove excess grease.
Jr
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
tomfoolery, plain and simple. worth it if you've got a hankering for truly out of nowhere turns. there's a healthy amount of non-sequitur going on here so be prepared for shenanigans.
Nfpendleton
Oct 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Only slightly funnier than Tales Designed to Thrizzle, and that's the funniest sillybook I've ever read.
Brian
Dec 10, 2007 rated it really liked it
My favorite is "Creamed Corn Bossman."
The Irrepressible Crank
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If I could somehow meld Michael Kupperman, Jack Pendarvis, Philip K. Dick, and George S. Kaufman's swizzlestick into a gestalt being, I would be quite surprised.
Martin
Nov 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: used-to-own, reviewed
With all the rave reviews on this site I expected much, MUCH more than this... Some funny bits, but mostly WTF material. Maybe that's the point, I don't know...
Nick
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A FINE TOME OF LITERATURE
Eva
Sep 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing

This is the funniest comic book I've ever read.
Jessica
Jan 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book of all time.
Jason
Sep 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Absurdists
Recommended to Jason by: P. Revess
SNAKE: Ssss!

BACON: Use a towel to wipe up excess grease.
Derek Royal
May 21, 2013
Kristen
Apr 10, 2013
  • Congress of the Animals
  • Strange Tales II (Stranges Tales)
  • Come Over, Come Over
  • Misery Loves Comedy
  • The Adventures of Sock Monkey
  • I Shall Destroy All the Civilized Planets! (The Complete Works of Fletcher Hanks, #1)
  • King-Cat Classix