Start by marking “New X-Men: Childhood's End, Volume 5: Quest for Magik” as Want to Read:
New X-Men: Childhood's End, Volume 5: Quest for Magik

New X-Men: Childhood's End, Volume 5: Quest for Magik (New X-Men: Academy X #9)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  308 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The demon lord Belasco has pulled the Xavier Institute into Limbo, but he's not after the X-Men... he's come for the New X-Men. With their leaders cut off, most of the team captured, and a group of students thrown into the demon infested wastelands, all hope seems lost. But the kids aren't alone in Limbo...and things are about to get much, much worse.

Collecting: New X-Men
Paperback, Trade, 168 pages
Published December 26th 2007 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about New X-Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New X-Men

Paul
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really rather enjoyed this one. A big action-packed battle in Limbo, the return of one of my all-time favourite characters, followed by a nice 'day in the life' type story, all wrapped up in some great Scottie Young artwork. Nice.
Tiamatty
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, x-men
Illyana died in 1993, in one of the most genuinely tearjerking comics I've ever read. She stayed dead for over a decade, becoming one of those rare deaths that sticks. Then Kyle and Yost - along with artist Skottie Young - came along to unstick it. But while this is Illyana's revival story, it's the New X-Men students who get the most focus, as it should be. Kyle and Yost write the characters wonderfully. They're rich, complex characters, and they all have unique reactions to everything that hap ...more
Annabelle
Nov 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-comics
I was not the biggest fan of the illustrations in this one.
Not any offense to the artist, it just wasn't my cup of tea.
Shannon Appelcline
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
Quest for Magic (37-41). It's great to see Illyana back (sort of), as she was used so poorly in "Inferno", then "Dream's End", with the end result being that a great character was gone. Now she's back (sort of). Meanwhile, this story of also does a nice job of expanding the cast, bringing new characters like Blindfold, Santo, and Pixie to prominence. The storyline itself has a bit too much fighting, which doesn't allow for much depth, but everything surrounding that is very nice. Still, this is ...more
Arturo
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
There's no quest. The whole story is Belasco asking where Illyana is. Either way this is a series where I always wanna read the next issue to see what happens next. (or who dies). The prelude with Blindfolds warning/ campfire story is great.
37-41. Quest
42-43. Children of the X-Men . Prelude to Messiah Complex.
Dan
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
New mutants for a new age.
Christopher Mclean
May 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Kyle and Yost have had a great run here, and I really liked Youngs art, but in general this volume felt like an uninteresting side story between bigger arcs. Some of this is probably because I haven't come across Belasco or Illyana, leaving me cold towards the main players here.
Michal Vámoš
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Dost slabé zakončení. První příběh docela nudný, nové postavy jsou spíše otravné.
Christian Smith
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Story: 5/10

"if you want to understand and appreciate this battle with the devil… Go and read a whole bunch of back stories.... or just be confused while you read most of this"
M
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
The X-kids find themselves in a battle for their very souls in the latest volume by Craig Kyle and Chris Yost, with some help on the pencils from Skottie Young. An evening of scary stories catapults the young trainees into Limbo at the whim of the demonic Belasco. Having sesned Illyana Rasputin's brief return during the House of M event, Belasco has abducted the students in order to pry Illyana's current location from them. While half the group goes through torture, the other half has encountere ...more
Andrew
Jan 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yes-i-m-a-geek
(Okay, read this rating as three stars plus Skottie Young art.)

Illyana Rasputin and Skottie Young... How could I not like this? Well there are plenty of ways I could not like this, but in the end, none of those appeared.

The Kyle and Yost team is making me really upset (exaggeration) that Messiah Complex came to wipe out New X-Men. This book is doing the exact opposite of Generation X, which started out strong and went out with a whimper... or two... or three.

Drat and bother! To know this series
Daniel
Dec 24, 2016 rated it liked it
On the weaker scale of things for this underrated series. The Magik stuff is weirdly paced, switching between a few groups of people, one of which is basically just a 4-issue long group torture scene. I wonder if some of this is due to the series' impending cancellation - with Kyle and Yost needing to cram a bunch of stuff into a short amount of time - but this storyline doesn't have a sense of finality to it, so it's probably just an unfortunate sour spot on an otherwise excellent run.

Meanwhile
Jamil
Feb 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
i actually kinda liked this. illyana/limbo/belasco stories have always kinda bored me, and i barely knew any of these young x-men next generation characters. that said i really kinda dug skottie young's character designs, and characters like anole & prodigy seem interesting to me and i kinda hope they survive the "all new, all different. everything changes here!" x-men wheel of fortune. that elixr kid though, man, could you design a better teenage x-men character? (ignoring rogue for the mom ...more
Fizzgig76
Reprints New X-Men #37-43. The New X-Men are taken to Limbo by Belasco and learn Belasco is searching for Illyana. This collection contains the Search for Magik storyline and a few other short stories which lead into X-Men: The Messiah Complex. The issues presented in this collection are also shorter than normal due to a backup story arc called Endangered Species which isn't included as part of this collection. The Magik storyline is alright, it has been done to death and it was stretched over w ...more
Ryan
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: recommended
I bought this not knowing much about the characters only because they were bringing back one of my favorite characters. I know that not many people would agree with me on this, but I am a big fan of the Bret Blevins run of the New Mutants back in the mid 80s. I was actually upset when they killed off Illyana's adult character, there ws potential for some fun stories. Anyway, this brings her back using some Marvel non-logic that's just alittle difficult to understand.

Also, the cartoony artwork i
Dani Guzman
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
¿Por qué pararon aquí?
Esta época de NewX-Men iba dando bandazos de un lado a otro, tropezándose con guionistas e ilustradores que conseguían que odiases a los personajes y sus tramas.
Entonces empezó la saga de Magik, le dieron fuerza a personajes geniales como Vendas, Pixie y Camaleón, y el dibujo era estupendo... Los siguientes números eran simple y llanamente, la vida de los alumnos X en la escuela de Xavier, sin muerte, sin destrucción, una genial comedia adolescente con momentos fantásticos
Patrick
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
The art was hit or miss for me. In the flashbacks, Magik looked way too old. The Limbo art was too... Disney. But, Limbo stories are fun.
Angela
Mar 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Disappointing after the previous volumes. the group end up in Limbo with Darkchilde and have horrible things done to them. Not much story here really, but it still does well on character moments. A good read.
J.
Jan 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
A really good volume. The plotting is a little scattered, but this volume focuses on a lot of the 'other' students at the school--the ones who aren't the stars of the book. There's lots of good characterization and a fun (if slightly familiar) plotline. The series continues to be strong.
Jostalady
This is interesting, the future generation of X-men with some transitional overlap. The youthful voices feel authentic and the interactions between the youth is genuine, I was practically transported to my HS years.
Ahmed
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Damn you, Marvel! Why isn't there an on-going for these beautiful characters?
Reign Lauren
Jun 30, 2016 rated it liked it
this was so lame and the art..... why do they look like that
Anna Banana
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Things are finally getting interesting!
Kenikeli Kalahama
Ben
Apr 05, 2014
Raidel
Jan 29, 2015
  • X-Posed (New X-Men: Academy X #3)
  • Decimation: X-Men - The 198
  • Uncanny X-Men: Divided We Stand
  • X-Factor, Vol. 3: Many Lives of Madrox
  • Cable and X-Force, Volume 1: Wanted
  • Cable & Deadpool, Volume 6: Paved With Good Intentions

New X-Men: Academy X (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Choosing Sides (New X-Men: Academy X #1)
  • Haunted (New X-Men: Academy X #2)
  • X-Posed (New X-Men: Academy X #3)
  • New X-Men: Hellions