Start by marking “The Collapse Of Globalism: And The Reinvention Of The World” as Want to Read:
The Collapse Of Globalism: And The Reinvention Of The World

The Collapse Of Globalism: And The Reinvention Of The World

Grand economic theories rarely last more than a few decades and globalization, with its technocratic and technological determinism, and its market idolatry, may have seen its best days. Perhaps it is already a spent force, argues John Ralston Saul - the prize-winning author of Voltaire's Bastards, and On Equilibrium, among others - in this groundbreaking new book. The Coll ...more
Published 2005 by Viking Canada

To ask other readers questions about The Collapse Of Globalism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Collapse Of Globalism

عمران ابن مصر
انهيار المجتمعات الأوروبية سوف يكون مسبوقًا بانسحاب للناس والموارد إلى أوطانهم الأصلية. ذلك أنَّ الدول الأفقر سوف تستمر في التحلل بسبب الصراعات والكوارث الطبيعية، ما سوف ينتج عنه موجات ضخمة من المهاجرين بعيدًا عن هذه المناطق الفاشلة، سعيًا وراء ملاذ آمن في دول أكثر استقرارًا. سوف تستجيب المجتمعات الغربية بتقييد، إن لم يكن حظر الهجرة: سوف تُبنى جدران تكلف عدة مليارات من الدولارات، وتُستخدم قوات وطائرات بدون طيار تجوب الحدود وتكثف الإجراءات الأمنية حول من وما يسمح له بالدخول، ويُطبق المزيد من السل ...more
Tim Chambers
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very briefly, I have always enjoyed what I've read by Saul and find myself in agreement with him, but having just finished reading this one I can only wonder if his case for Globalism having ended was not several years premature. He seems to underestimate the tenacity of its proponents, and the pusillanimity of its opponents.

But he does to a wonderful job of shredding it... tying it to Mercantilism and separating it from The Invisible Hand. Brilliant.

One wonders when the American Left is going
Eric
This book give an overview of how the neo-liberal economic experiment has been installed in most of the world since the 1970's. This book is a healthy critique of what was promised by the proponents of neo-liberal economics, things like the trickle down theory (give to the rich it will eventually benefit the poor), cut taxes and grow the economy, and trade always equals economic growth, and how neo-liberal economics and globalization has only benefited a small percentage of the world (1%?). Saul ...more
Jason
Oct 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
shows the real deal behind the hype of globalism and how most of the worlds leaders blindly bought into the concept.
easy to read and comprehend for the laymen yet gripping enough for those who are comfortable with this type of material.
Shawn
Jul 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
every citizen in the G-20 should have this as mandatory reading.
Uday Muhammdi
الكتاب ده بكل بساطه عظيم
Jill Edmondson
Sep 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hmmm... How to make a topic like this sexy? Answer is that you can't, really. Reading it felt like I was sitting in a 3rd year economics lecture - which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's dry, yes, but still worth reading. Very informative, very detailed, very thorough, and I like books that make me think, that teach me something.
Paul
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: economics, politics
An interesting and timely look atwhat globalisation primarily is, why it went wrong and its consequences. Although first published in 2005 (with an afterword from the financial collapse in 2008), it's still entirely relevant today with the rise of 'false-populism' and 'negative nationalism' seen around the world from globalisation's backlash.
Saul writes in an accessible style punctuated with wise words from figures stretching back throughout the centuries.
An excellent read.
Rick Scott
Jul 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
I gave it a 1 rating as I could not give it a negative rating. It is a schizophrenic view of the economic changes and supports his thoughts with changinf countires, decades and subjects. Read if you want to waste your time on this planet. I did not finish reading it and will burn it when the fire ban have gone down. In a right conscience I cannot pass it on.
Heather
Feb 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Saul gives an absolutely fantastic overview of economics from the Leftist position about what led to Globalism. However, if Saul’s intended and clearly set out thesis for The Collapse of Globalism was about “pro–active choice,” then he nearly completely failed to deliver what he had said he would.

This book is about our ability to choose. It is also about where those choices might lead us. To believe in the possibility of change is something is something very precise. It means we believe in the r
Rori.Cantall
I am not a liberal. Left-leaning for sure. This had all the fun of listening to your cool, left-moderate uncle explain the global financial system to you before he starts to speculate on how geothermal tech might work to cool the planet.
Jim Golmon
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant critique of globalization and its true believers.
Sol
Dec 08, 2017 rated it liked it
A functional and lucid exploration of the shortcomings of Globalism and Neolib/Neocon theory!~
Andreas Sekeris
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First book in ages to get me to write a summary to try to remember it:
Globalism is presented as a religion. It is inevitable. Once something is presented without thinking through it, like it must happen, it becomes like a religion. Economists become like acolytes as they have an assumption built-in that free-trade will help capitalism which will make the world a better place. No critical thinking of whether it will lift everyone up equally.

Free trade isn't a pure idea. It started with the corn
Fab
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Interesting examination of the globalist movement and its effect on nation-states. Saul presents an intelligible and quite an objective outline of globalism, the causes of its rise and demise. Although sided on the issue – obviously a harsh critic of it –, both pros and cons of the globalist theory are presented and explained factually and indiscriminately.

Not everyone might like the book, as its writer, a leftist and firm believer in third-worldism, speaks harshly of the West and its leaders.
Paul Fitzpatrick
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A witty and interesting critique of globalism. A good amount of irony and black humor in it. Reading the book now is slightly more interesting thanks to the recent election of Donald Trump (a false populist) and further rejection of globalism in the United States.

Ralston-Saul writes very well and his historical knowledge provides some insight into the problems we are facing now. It does a good job of informing the reader about the history of globalism, how globalism has caused some significant
Nicholasajallen
Oct 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
this book is a few years old.. a sign im finally getting thru the pile of 'books i should have read by now given to me by mum'...ralston saul certinaly makes u think..not all happy thoughts tho...the recent market driven snafus in the global eocnomy certainly lend more credence to his stance..the keynes and the galbraiths will have their revenge over the hayeks and the friedmans sooner that i might have thought...
Sionna L
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you are Canadian and want to have an informed opinion on our economic situation and system, then you need to read at least this book by John Ralston Saul, and you should also read his other books on political economics.
Trent
Mar 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Liked his writing
Dana Larose
Mar 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
It really exposed how paltry my knowledge of history is :P
Kamil Salamah
Jul 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read book to understand history and the rise of Corortacracy.
Gary Maunder
A frustrating book. The author requires extensive background information on his own works as well as others in this genre. Not for the novice.
Fransiska Monika Yunita
dibaca karena kewajiban untuk book assessment. agak sulit untuk dimengerti, sebuah buku yang mengulas politik dan ekonomi dengan cara bercerita seorang pujangga.
Dean Ray
Jun 14, 2013 rated it liked it
An interesting look into the international political economy of globalization. Well researched and well thought out. The author is engaging and the material is fresh.
Scott Neigh
Apr 26, 2016
Pat Carrasco
Apr 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• One Market Under God: Extreme Capitalism, Market Populism, and the End of Economic Democracy
  • The Upside of Down: Catastrophe, Creativity and the Renewal of Civilization
  • What is America?: A Short History of the New World Order
  • The Future of Money
  • Ecological Economics: Principles And Applications
  • The Other Path: The Economic Answer to Terrorism
  • Consumed - How Markets Corrupt Children, Infantilize Adults & Swallow Citizens Whole
  • The Hidden Connections: A Science for Sustainable Living
  • Company of Adventurers
  • Voice of the Earth: An Exploration of Ecopsychology
  • Plan B 2.0: Rescuing a Planet Under Stress and a Civilization in Trouble
  • The Clash of Fundamentalisms: Crusades, Jihads and Modernity
John Ralston Saul is a Canadian author, essayist, and President of International PEN. As an essayist, Saul is particularly known for his commentaries on the nature of individualism, citizenship and the public good; the failures of manager-, or more precisely technocrat-, led societies; the confusion between leadership and managerialism; military strategy, in particular irregular warfare; the role ...more