Start by marking “Maths in Minutes: 200 Key Concepts Explained in an Instant” as Want to Read:
Maths in Minutes: 200 Key Concepts Explained in an Instant

Maths in Minutes: 200 Key Concepts Explained in an Instant

(in Minutes)

Both simple and accessible, Maths in Minutes is a visually led introduction to 200 key mathematical ideas. Each concept is quick and easy to remember, described by means of an easy-to-understand picture and a maximum 200-word explanation. Concepts span all of the key areas of mathematics, including Fundamentals of Mathematics, Sets and Numbers, Geometry, Equations, Limits, ...more
Published March 1st 2012 by Quercus

To ask other readers questions about Maths in Minutes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maths in Minutes

Arshad Pooloo
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Turns out this book is really helpful. I know it's supposed to be basic but I would be way over my head to say that I have understood everything from it. I think part of the problem is the way Mathematics is taught. I know how to use simultaneous equation and differentiation but that's only because I memorized them. Reading made me reassess what I thought I knew and understood. I never realized that calculus was all about studying changes, nor did I understand that the axioms of geometry were th ...more
Danyel Lawson
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent quick refresher on the basics of math from algebra to geometry to calculus to linear algebra and a lot more including calculating pi and logarithms and the math of singularities. I was disappointed that Pascal's triangles were left out but that is my only criticism as it manages to explain each concept in a immediately useable form in a page or two with a nice large typeface in a pocket sized book. Plus it has stuff I've never heard of.
Shelly
Nov 30, 2013 rated it liked it
More of a math refresher for someone who wants to remember. I took high level math courses in college and graduated over a decade ago. Sufficed for my interest, but would probably go way over some people's heads.
Nathan
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Lots of awesome concepts. Very brief explanations. It's a nice way to review math as well as be introduced to terminology and broad strokes of what's beyond your limits.
Squatting Erudite
This is a neat little book for those who want a pretty nice overview of what mathematics is about, more or less.
Nobody can give a detailed survey of mathematics in such a small book, but I guess it's a good starting point for those who want to look for new interesting topics. Oh, and I really liked the way in which most of these topics are summarized, it's not that easy to distil whole branches to several sentences!
Kawtar Tamir
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars to that amazing book.

It was a nice way to re-remember some mathematical concepts I have learned so far at school, discover the origin of many ones and learn new great theorems and ideas.
Daniel
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked how much this helped me with math
Manodeldios
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant bite size maths in an easy to read and relate to format
Vilém Zouhar
May 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Every topic discussed in the book would deserve a book on its own. That makes every other page of this book a joke. Regardless, it is a good attempt to explain the prerequisites of modern mathematics and your time spent reading this book won't come to naught.
Wendelle So
Some of it are regurgitations of definitions from analysis and topology textbooks that won't be intelligible to the lay reader without context, but some of it are really brilliant or sufficient demonstrations or visualizations of key concepts or theorems.
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it
يعطيك نبذة عن مواضيع كثيرة في الرياضيات، لكن مشكلته أنه يخصص لكل موضوع صفحة لا أكثر، جيد كنظرة عامة للمواضيع التي ينبغي عليك وضعها في خطة منظمه لتبدأ دراسة الرياضيات وحدك
Alexandru
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
In case you missed mathematics this a nice, but rather short way to recall the main ideas from algebra, geometry, calculus etc.
Amer Al Amer
Jul 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
I should've known better since I come from a technical background, mathematics is never a subject to describe in words. The author did his best to explain complicated mathematical topics in short, compressed paragraphs, but failed to deliver in my humbled point of view. The theoritical representation makes it quite difficult to follow the context because of the lack of numbers and examples, which is clearly not the scope of this book. As I progressed further within the book, I started losing int ...more
Ben
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
The 1-page explanations are too short to really explain anything, and not entertaining enough to be a nice read. More importantly, there are some small but important factual errors (using a plus where it should be minus, subscript instead of superscript, etc.)

The only use I can think of for this book is as a quick refresher for someone who already knows the topics at hand - as long as they remember to go elsewhere for the actual details.

For a similar (albeit less technical) but IMO better book,
Russianwitch
May 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Will be slowly working through it for ages to come, but not exactly a vacation read.
Me and math don't get along, though we really should unfortunately this is not the book to enlighten me further.
Clear examples, if not always easy ones.
Well written and interesting.
Unfortunately not suitable for a noob.
Chris Lawrence
Jun 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Pretty good, although my understanding started to get seriously challenged after about the first 100 :)
Paulo Girão
May 24, 2015 rated it liked it
I cannot honestly say that the short explanations to the basic mathematical concepts are fulfilling my curiosity in any way, but it is a concise reference book.
David Ranney
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
A one-step forward, two-steps back review of mathematical concepts. Mostly it just reminded me of how woefully inadequate my brain is.
Mon Maryum
Dec 15, 2016 marked it as to-read
Yes, there is a difference between wanting to learn *about maths* to *memorizing formulae* non-stop :p Ugh
Jon Mann
Jan 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Cool idea. Unfortunately some of the concepts really need more space to explain properly. A vague understanding of a core idea isn't sturdy enough to support later ideas.
Sabrina
Oct 24, 2016 rated it liked it
a one page explanation isn't going to help my poor inadequate brain get above average but it was still ok
Dani Ollé
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Many sections unreadable, does not deliver on promise
Mr S
  • Science in Seconds
  • Bloomsbury Good Reading Guide: Discover your next great read
  • Easy as Pi: The Countless Ways We Use Numbers Every Day
  • How To Draw Anything
  • Opening Pandora's Box: Phrases We Borrowed from the Classics and the Stories Behind Them
  • Sciencia: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Astronomy for All
  • How to Write Better Essays
  • The Great Mathematical Problems
  • The Joy of Lex
  • Killer Girlfriend: The Jody Arias Story
  • Algebraic Topology
  • Tula Pink's City Sampler: 100 Modern Quilt Blocks
  • Tapped Out: Rear Naked Chokes, the Octagon, and the Last Emperor: An Odyssey in Mixed Martia l Arts
  • Facebook For Dummies
  • Mathematics 1001: Absolutely Everything That Matters in Mathematics in 1001 Bite-Sized Explanations
  • The Culprit and The Cure: Why lifestyle is the culprit behind America's poor health
  • Math Girls
  • Life in Five Seconds

in Minutes (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Philosophy in Minutes