Start by marking “Stray Birds” as Want to Read:
Stray Birds

Stray Birds

"Stray Birds" contains ideas on nature, man, and his environment as may be entertained by a man sitting by a window where the stray birds of summer sing and fly away. These short, sometimes merely one-line poems are often just an image or the distillation of a thought, but they stay in the mind and do not fly away as easily as the birds. The author, Rabindranath Tagore, wa ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Cosimo Classics (first published 1913)

Ahmad Sharabiani
Stray Birds, Rabindranath Tagore
Collected short poems by Rabindranath Tagore. They were written in Bengali before being translated into English by Tagore. These poems are beautiful, thought provoking, and somewhat reminiscent of Haiku.
Stray birds of summer come to my window to sing and fly away. And yellow leaves of autumn, which have no songs, flutter and fall there with a sigh.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: روز هجدهم ماه فوریه سال 2011 میلادی
عنوان: مرغان آواره؛ شاعر: رابیندرانات تاگور؛ مترجم: عسکری پاشا
Agir(آگِر)
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

اندیشه های هراسان
از من نهراسید
من شاعرم

شعر یعنی لطافت اندیشه و «تاگور» شاعری است که حتی مرگ را از آن معنای دهشتناک یعنی "پایان" می رهاند

شب

بر هرچه داشتم دست کش
Shari
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic, poetry
What is it about Tagore's poems that captures the reader? His poems are so easy to read. The subjects are highly familiar; the elements commonplace. They are not highly personal; they won't stump you with symbolism that requires decoding or deciphering. In fact, a child could easily follow some of the lines. The poems are so simple you could go through the whole book in an hour.

And this, perhaps, is Tagore's secret: simplicity. But it is a simplicity that ensnares. Because simple though the poem
Purba Chakraborty
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Whenever I read a book by Rabindranath Tagore, I read each sentence at least two times to decipher the depth of the thoughts concealed in his words.

Stray Birds is a collection of some 300 one to two lines poem. The 1 or 2 lines poems has so much profundity that I read some of them at least 5 times. After reading each poem, I kept thinking about them. That made me read this book for many days.I used to read 25-30 poems each day to savor the words of the poems in my heart. This book is one of the
നിക്ക്. . .
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
"Stray birds of the summer come to my window to sing and fly away.
O TROUPE of little vagrants of the world, leave your footprints in my words . . . "

How better can a poetry start . . ? Every sentence you read will give you some new thoughts . . You will start to think about flowers, sun, birds, flame, river , moon , darkness etc. The way Tagore defines the non-existing emotions(It will be hard to believe it do
Roopesh Chhabria
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It is the most mesmerizing poetry I have ever read and no I am not just saying this because it captured my imagination. I am saying this because it sent me to a new realm of imagination.
The way it has been written, makes you feel what the poet would have felt while writing this piece of literature and also how he saw the nature with his soul.
The greatest touch point from where I can see this poem is the way Sir Rabindranath Tagore has seen nature; expressing itself freely through the language o
Neeraj Chavan
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars."
"I have lost my dewdrop", cries the flower to the morning sky that lost all its stars."
"A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it."

Tagore is profoundly phenomenal and a genius with his ideas. His words have the ability to scrape off your soul from you! His epigrams leave you astounded and provoke you to think. He'll always be among my favorite poe
Zohreh Hanifeh
میخواهم
واپسین سخنم
این باشد که:
به عشق تو ایمان دارم.
Tanish Jena
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"In the moon, thou sendest thy love letter to me" said the night to the sun
"I leave my answers in tears upon the grass."

I have never read much of poetry, but from the moment I read the first line, I wasn't able to put the book down.
The words are simple, resonating with a deeper meaning, they give you peace and simultaneously initiate a tornado of emotions. Nature couldn't be described better by Sir Rabindranath Tagore. Every poem depicts it with some phantasm and yet humane element.

Recommend
Muthuvel
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite, poetry
Wonderful work from Tagore!
It's hard to express the magnitude of sweetness one could receive after reading it. Highly recommended to read in the dawn or dusk of the day.
Brooke
Dec 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm not really a poetry fan, and if it were not for a reading challenge I never would have picked this up, but I'm happy I did. I'm not a convert to loving poetry, but this was beautiful.
Joel
Apr 05, 2013 rated it liked it
The conceit of this book of poetry is that each poem- usually just a single sentence- represents a single, fleeting thought, like a bird flitting by as a man sits watching through a window.

I generally love Tagore's poetry; his better works, such as "Gitanjali" or "The Gardener", are works of beauty, brevity, and subtlety. In "Stray Birds", I felt that his attempt to distill his poetry to its simplest essence drove out much of that beauty and subtlety. Many of these 326 epigrams are little more t
Melinda
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Never has love, painful joy, peace been so eloquently presented in such a sensuous manner in which Tagore carves his beautiful prose. Stray Birds is a collection of poems based on musings Tagore penned. His feelings and thoughts sing to you thru his magical verses.��

Known for his graceful words Tagore's meaning of life will touch your heart. The sentences reveal one's soul which can be translated world wide and shared ��by all. Tagore and beauty - synonymous. Try to enjoy Tagore in quiet solitud
Chris
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
“Let my thoughts come to you, when I am gone, like the afterglow of sunset at the margin of starry silence.”

Your thoughts did come, Mr. Tagore, and I am like a star that has seen the afterglow of your sunset. Stray Birds is a fine collection of single sentence musings, most of which relate nature and love to human experience. They are like proverbs that read like minimalist poems, containing dense amounts of wisdom hidden between the lines. I found myself reading many of them several times over
Aswathi Suresh babu
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It`s sheer absurdity to review a poem; esp. if it`s from Tagore. In the first place, poetry is never meant to be reviewed.
The delicate art to weave a fascinating world with an array of words has to be experienced and lived! Rather, it`s not just the words but something beyond language adds to the life of a poem.

Reluctant to fly away like the birds, the reverberations of those beautiful lines stay there. With each line, Stray Birds evokes the deeper imaginary realms within us. I wonder, from whe
Dhruvika Dhamija
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow
Xiaoying Lu
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Trí Trần
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bầy Chim Lạc bao gồm 326 bài thơ, là nơi Tagore hóa thân thành muôn vàn sự vật trên thế gian, từ cái vĩ đại như trăng sao, trời biển … cho đến những thứ tầm thường như ngọn đèn, muông thú, cây cỏ lá hoa.

Chủ đề của tập thơ dường như không dừng lại cố định ở bất cứ đâu. Cũng giống như những cánh chim chao nghiêng, từng câu thơ ngắn lao vút qua, để lại một vệt sáng, một hình ảnh mơ hồ để độc giả trầm tư suy ngẫm.

full review: blacksnow308.wordpress.com/2018/07/29...
Luca Maldaurore
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book helps to live
Trang Minh Hoang
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“We read the world wrong and say that it deceives us.”
Profound, full of thoughts, beautiful images and reflections.
A.M.D. Hays
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Stray Birds is a collection of poetic aphorisms, remarkable for their simplicity but resonating deeply with fundamental truths of being, life, love, and the marvels of our universe.

"The birth and death of the leaves are the rapid whirls of the eddy whose wider circles move slowly among stars." Rabindranath Tagore

They are indeed like stray birds that alight in a nearby tree to sing a few notes and fly away. Here is another:

"Love is life in its fulness like the cup with its wine."
Kuang
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
His shining like pearls deep philosophical light, not only to raise awareness about the nature of humanity, love for all the good things of the world, but also inspires the ideals of how people clinging to the reality of life, the whole life full of joy and bright.

Enjoy it.
IkaSadera
Jan 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-collection, sastra
"Tuhan merasa malu ketika yang kaya menyombongkan karunia dari Nya"...

"Malam membuka bunga-bunga dengan diam-diam dan membiarkan siang menerima pujian"

Aku bukan anak sastra, ga paham apa itu prosa atau pusisi atau apapun namanya... tapi membaca buku ini begitu menyenangkan ^^
Lindsay from TrulyBooked
At first, looking at the short single lines, it all looks so deceptively simple. There is however, a spirit behind each line and while it can read as a religious text or a mystic's preachings, there is no doubt that it is undeniably beautiful in both its simplicity and its message.
Mohammad Sabbir  Shaikh
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"In the moon, thou sendest thy love letter to me" said the night to the sun
"I leave my answers in tears upon the grass."
More such thoughts, observations lay within this book.
Grab it. Read it. It's worth it.
Bob
Sep 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Bob by: Chris
Shelves: 5-star-books
This is a short, beautiful book of poetic one- or two-line observations on life, nature, man's relation to time, God and the universe. Much food for thought. A delightful book to be read and re-read, little by little.
Sophie
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
When the words echo the colour of your life. You found the beauty of reading.
Dottie Pinot lugosi
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Bible.
Kalu Sakura
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"“Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain... but to add color to my sunset"
Put in perspective the world. I liked it
Sachin
Jun 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics-poetry
Deceptively simple and mystic aphorisms from the last of the Indian sages.
  • Speaking of Siva
  • The Indian Constitution: Cornerstone of a Nation
  • NANI PALKHIVALA - THE COURTROOM GENIUS
  • Silences
  • The Wanderer
Awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1913 "because of his profoundly sensitive, fresh and beautiful verse, by which, with consummate skill, he has made his poetic thought, expressed in his own English words, a part of the literature of the West."

Tagore modernised Bengali art by spurning rigid classical forms and resisting linguistic strictures. His novels, stories, songs, dance-dramas, and ess
“Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky.” 4824 likes
“By plucking her petals you do not gather the beauty of the flower.” 293 likes