Start by marking “The Gardener” as Want to Read:

The Gardener

1913. The Gardener, a book of prose. Most of the lyrics of love and life, the translations of which from Bengali are published in this book, were written much earlier than the series of religious poems contained in the book name Gitanjali. The verses in this book are far finer and more genuine than even the best in Gitanjali.
Published 1938 (first published 1913)

To ask other readers questions about The Gardener, please sign up.
okaymon Kshanika (1900) . 26 poems come from this work alone. Along with that it includes some of his much earlier works as well.
Edit :
Online Link for…more
Edit :
Online Link for Kshanika (as pronounced in hindi but Khanika in Bangla) :
(less)

Start your review of The Gardener
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Gardener, Rabindranath Tagore
Most of the lyrics of love and life, the translations of which from Bengali are published in this book, were written much earlier than the series of religious poems contained in the book named Gitanjali. The translations are not always literal—the originals being sometimes abridged and sometimes paraphrased. Rabindranath Tagore.

"Ah, poet, the evening draws near; your hair is turning grey.
"Do you in your lonely musing hear the message of the hereafter?"

"It is
Jareed
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
“It is a game of giving and withholding, revealing and screening
again; some smiles and some little shyness, and some sweet useless struggles.
This love between you and me is simple as a song.

No mystery beyond the present; no striving for the impossible; no
shadow behind the charm; no groping in the depth of the dark.
This love between you and me is simple as a song.

We do not stray out of all words into the ever silent; we do not
raise our hands to the void for things beyond hope.
It is enough
Tanja
Jan 29, 2009 added it
and still reading...and i will read it for whole my life...
Melinda
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Tagore shares with the reader a collection of the most beautiful love poems in The Gardner. Set in the Bengali countryside, Tagore's poems will capture the emotions plunged deepest in your heart. Tagore is your voice for all you've wanted to drip off your tongue but lack the talent to put into words.

Tagore's writing is straightforward, difficult to believe his work is one hundred years old. Amazing and powerful prose that will pluck your heartstrings.
T.R.
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read2013, poetry
How wonderful and strange to read Tagore in 2013, a full hundred years since his receiving the Nobel Prize in literature. The Gardener is wonderful because Tagore's poetry, ranging from rumination to rhapsody, mixes rural settings and nature so evocatively with his internal world of thoughts and feelings. I particularly liked a few verses on the ephemeral nature of beauty and loss, on growing old, on the connection between human and animal beings, and on what the Earth provides. And reading The ...more
Bonny
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, poetry

This is an excellent collection of Indian poetry rich in imagery and allegory. Very fresh and incredibly creative. I will read again.

Here are two I liked:

Baby's World

I wish I could take a quiet corner in the heart of my baby's very
own world.
I know it has stars that talk to him, and a sky that stoops
down to his face to amuse him with its silly clouds and rainbows.
Those who make believe to be dumb, and look as if they never
could move, come creeping to his window with their stories and with
trays
Harperac
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, india
I thought Gitanjali was good, but this book just blew me away. The romanticism in this book is just refulgent, overflowing.

I wish I had a copy on hand to quote some for you. The subject matter of each poem is usually a concentration and combination of a human subject (usually a beloved, male or female) intense imagery of human settlements (villages, bridges over rivers, markets) and intense nature imagery (flora, fauna, and all the usual things, with a great preponderance of climatic
Vasya
Mar 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This is just so wonderful. I especially love the translation that was done in Serbian more than that in English, maybe because it's my mother language, but I always feel more when I read in Serbian (there are no Serbian editions on this book, so I had to use this one instead).

The first part between the slave and the queen is so heartbreaking in it's simplicity, and yet so complicated in its complexity, that you are left with two impressions - that you have witnessed something magical and at the
martina
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: classic poetry lovers
Recommended to martina by: Scarlett
Love unexpressed is sacred. It shines like gems in the gloom of the hidden heart. In the light of the curious day it looks pitifully dark.
(...)
I hoped my love would be saved from shivering shame of the shelterless, but you turn your face away.
Yes, your path lies open before you, but you have cut off my return, and left me stripped naked before the world with its lidless eyes staring night and day.

This kind of poetry isn't normally something I would reach for in a library, if it weren't for a
Ashutosh
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"I run as a musk-deer runs in the shadow of the forest mad with his own perfume.
The night is the night of mid-May, the breeze is the breeze of the south.
I lose my way and I wander, I seek what I cannot get, I get what I do not seek.

From my heart comes out and dances the image of my own desire. The gleaming vision flits on.
I try to clasp it firmly, it eludes me and leads me astray.
I seek what I cannot get, I get what I do not seek."

This book can be read in hours but should be read in days as it
3ppman
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: popudbina
Simple, deep - universal in its candor and deeply intrinsical in its mysticism/eroticism. One of the finest books of love poetry I've ever read and, like very other Tagore's work, there is a shade of question that closes a whole world inside which you can't see or experience by your mind or your eyes - you must touch it and hug it with all of your soul, just as Tagore's love hugs every single verse of this book. Astonishing.
Mohamed Awada
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Beautiful poetry. I especially loved the sixth poem in this collection (the conversation between the caged bird and the free bird), and it was inspiring to read the last poem in this collection more than a century after it was written (since he was foreseeing that we would be reading it a hundred years from then.)
Asha Seth
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, indian-lit, 2018
If you think Gitanjali is his most mind-blowing work, you have yet to soak into this collection. Some of his best poems in this collection; few just 4 lines long but packed with unbelievable intensity of emotions; whether that is love or melancholy or happiness or longings.
Enock Ulle
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My beloved poet and one of his masterpieces. Some of the most beautiful verses ever written about love.
Jayachithra Subramanian
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Had inspired me to start reading poetry and to appreciate the beauty of it :)
أحمد
Dec 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Who am I to say anything about Tagore? Really liked it. But I couldn't put it together with Gitanjali. The last poems were the best. Especially the last one!
Inez
Jun 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
i just fall in love over and over again with this Tagore's piece.
Ronak Shah
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it

The Gardener, Rabindranath Tagore
It is a game of giving and withholding, revealing and screening
again; some smiles and some little shyness, and some sweet useless struggles.
This love between you and me is simple as a song.
This book become one of the favorite book of all the time. Probably I'll
Kiran Kumili
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another great collection of beautiful hymns and poems written by the great writer poet of India, Shri Rabindranath Tagore.

Though most of the poems written in this book are related to nature and its beauty in the simple encounters of our daily life in our garden, village and countryside, the poet seems to have drifted towards reality of life secrets and philosophy towards the end. The mention of flute (a special music instrument) in many of the poems gives us the feeling of reference to Lord
albin james
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pas toi

Carving into bark till you bleed
Nailing the doors shut, locking yourself up
Living inside a dream from staying up too late
Praying to shadows and walking on for so long
Though I keep telling myself it takes time
Though I keep writing it down

Whatever I do, wherever I am
Nothing erases you, I'm thinking of you

Days go by as empty furrows
Within reason but with no love
My luck goes by and the winds change
Only remains the absence, unabashedly
Though I keep telling myself that I can't help it
That you
Meghana
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Tagore's poetry is always a delight. His poem "Unending Love" is my favourite poem of all time.

In this short 150 page book, Tagore has published 85 short poems. Some run more like couplets, but his characteristic language persists; a couple lines evoke far off scenes and nostalgia, while the next few lines remind you of someone you know.

Each poem is its own microcosmic universe, and I took a while to finish this book because I wanted to savour the beauty of these lines. I really wish I knew
Rishit
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The book's a collection of 85 poems based on the beauty and enchantment of love by the legendary poet Rabindranath Tagore. 'Gitanjali' having earned immense popularity, appreciation and love, 'The Gardener' was a successful attempt to bring his other poems into light.
The poems in this collection are also superb like the ones in 'Gitanjali'(it's obvious that they will be as they are written by Tagore). Some people even say that this collection is even much better than 'Gitanjali'.
Overall it's
Mochizuki
May 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
"The Gardener" is a collection of love poems, where the lover compares himself to a gardener and the beloved to his queen. The verses are intricately woven and they explore the depths of love, its anguish as well as the sublime desires. The poems are rich with imagery and allegory. As in many others of Tagore's works, these love poems can be read on many levels, but they are particularly perceptive of our innermost spiritual strivings.
Hoang Lien
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poem
Feel like I am lost in the garden of a hundred years hence, one spring morning, one summer noon, one autumn sunset and another winter night.
I have always wanted to read this poem collection since I was a highschool student studying Poem No. 28 as part of the school course; and now after finishing the book, I am simply happy that it is as splendid as I had always imagined
BetseaK
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Subtle, deep, sensuous. Loved them in Serbian translation (read while at college) and love reading them in the recently found English translation: The Gardener
heidi
Jun 30, 2012 rated it liked it
This collection of verses reveals some gems here and there, but I'm afraid the beauty of most of the verses has been lost in translation. This won't stop me from reading other works of Tagore though. I'll go through other Tagore titles available on Gutenberg to do the author justice.
Andrea
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Amazing as always. I can read these poems over and over again and discover something to analyse every single time. Emotional. Terse. Like a petite box brimming with candy. These methaphores are my favourite candy.
Nancy
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely poems that were certainly translated well. The best line in the entire book has to be "My fate has not taken everything from me." and was a great reminder that we all usually have something good left in life if we truly understand what is valuable.
Amanda
Jun 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this one for my girlfriend, and some of it was better than other bits of it. And my favorite one was the first one. And some of them fit more than I'd like. This was definitely an interesting choice and I have to say I love getting requests for her.
Mallika Soni
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I just loved it. Its so beautiful, touching, amazing and so close to my heart. My father does not like Tagore's poetry but this one will surely make him forget everything that he has against Tagore. So must read! Brilliant!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Diary of a Genius
  • কুহক
  • Lajja: Shame
  • Prokleta avlija
  • ठीक तुम्हारे पीछे [Theek Tumhare Peechhe]
  • El Club de la Orquídea
  • Rashed, My Friend
  • Kanch Ke Shamiyane (Hindi)
  • Halala
  • नदी के द्वीप
  • French Lover
  • Wife
  • Kumpulan Humor
  • দারুচিনি দ্বীপ  (শুভ্র #1, দারুচিনি দ্বীপ #1 )
  • Gorski vijenac
  • The Beautiful and the Damned
  • পুতুলনাচের ইতিকথা
  • The Complete Fairy Tales
Awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1913 "because of his profoundly sensitive, fresh and beautiful verse, by which, with consummate skill, he has made his poetic thought, expressed in his own English words, a part of the literature of the West."

Tagore modernised Bengali art by spurning rigid classical forms and resisting linguistic strictures. His novels, stories, songs, dance-dramas, and
“My heart, the bird of the wilderness,
has found its sky in your eyes.
They are the cradle of the morning,
they are the kingdom of the stars.
My songs are lost in their depths.
Let me but soar in that sky,
in its lonely immensity.
Let me but cleave its clouds
and spread wings in its sunshine.”
43 likes