Start by marking “Papa and the Pioneer Quilt” as Want to Read:
Papa and the Pioneer Quilt

Papa and the Pioneer Quilt

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  75 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Rebecca’s papa has wandering feet. He is following his dream and taking the family west on the Oregon Trail, across prairies, rivers, and mountains. Along the way, Rebecca begins collecting pieces of cloth. In their new home, Mama will help her use these scraps to sew a quilt that will become a keepsake of their amazing, courageous journey.

Quilts have a wonderful way of h

Published April 5th 2007 by Dial (first published January 28th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Papa and the Pioneer Quilt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Papa and the Pioneer Quilt

Jo Oehrlein
Dec 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A family has moved west several times as Papa has wandering feet. In their ultimate move, they take the Oregon Trail west. Rebecca collects scraps along the way that she turns into a quilt when they arrive at their new home.
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Too long for younger children but has a good story
Vayda Williams
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: c-holiday
This book was nice. I think my favorite part was the illustrations. It was a very colorful and beautiful depiction of the pioneers and was a nice piece of quilting history as well.
Jordan Schwab
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Papa and the Pioneer quilt is about a family whose father is adventurous when it comes to deciding where his family lives. They are constantly moving state to state. There are representations and events that happen in the book that are very realistic and tell about what could very well have happened to the pioneers when they traveled America.

The story is once again told by the daughter in the family which relates to the children reading the book. The illustrations are quite cute and tie in well
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Preschool-second grade

I liked this. It's reminiscent of Little House on the Prairie. A father who is described as having wandering feet sets off to the west with his family. Some of the events in the book are even pretty similar to those in Little House.

The language is fairly simple, though there are some rare words such as scamp, britches, tatters, and trudged. The sentences are a nice mix of compound, complex, and a few simple sentences. There is a nice mix of dialogue.

The illustrations are l
While at first I wasn’t drawn into the story, once I learned about the quilt I became more interested. I enjoyed hearing the short tales of how Rebecca acquired each scrap for her quilt. Historically speaking, I thought this book did reflect the hardships families endured during westward expansion on a primary level. It would be a good way to introduce this part of American’s history to young students. Another aspect of the story I enjoyed was the way the quilt represented the journey. It shows ...more
Jean Hussey-Stone
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book series and TV show "Little House on the Praire" and this is very reminiscent of those. A father during the pioneer times moved his family west so he could follow his own dreams. His young daughter, Rebecca learns about making a quilt and gathers material along the way. Each piece of material has a story to tell making the quilt a story quilt of her travels to the west. This reminds me of my own children's traveling blankets. Rather than making our own quilt, we bought one and wo ...more
Rosa Cline
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone that enjoys Little House series books
Shelves: kids
this is a neat storybook to help teach the little guys how it was to have to travel on a wagon train years and years ago. A little girl was told by another young woman on the wagon train with her that she was saving scraps to make a quilt for when they get where they are going. The little girl wants to do the same so her Mama gives her a container to put stuff in. And along the way when clothes get torn or beyond repair she's saved pieces. Pieces of her Dad's clothes, her brothers clothes, even ...more
Toree Howe
Dec 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
This book gives and idea of the hard ships settlers faced during the westward expansion. I loved how the young girl collected scraps of fabric to make a quilt at the end of the journey. Each scrap reminded her of a specific experience she had on the trip to Oregon. Since I am a scrap booker, I love to collect things that will help remind me of important times in my life. I plan on arranging my students work in a scrapbook that is meaningful to them. I would read this book to 1st through 3rd grad ...more
Jul 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
A family picks up and moves to Oregon, wearing out their shoes and clothes and oxen on the way. The little girl hears about a quilt another traveler plans on making and gets the idea to collect scraps of her own to also make a quilt. Any old scrap of fabric can be used to make a quilt. For one awful moment, I thought she was going to drag the shirt off of a dead man's chest. Yo ho ho, and on to Oregon. Papa finally should stop his wandering when he runs out of land.
Mary Anne
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A 19th century, Missouri family sets out for Oregon and the promise of the richest farmland to be had. The trail is long and hard and along the way they are forced to lighten the load. The narrator collects pieces of fabric along the way and when they arrive she and her mother make a wandering foot quilt, a pattern still used today.
Kathi Tate
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Kathi by: I found it in a clearance bin of all places!
I love this book! I am a quilter and a lover of history. What a wonderful mixture of the two. I love the way the book captures the spirit of these pioneer families. I cannot wait to read this to my granddaughter.
May 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pioneer-stories
Good story to go along with the Oregon Trail.
Steve Rouhotas Jr
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, libby-reads
"It was good. I learned about traveling during a different time." Says my 5 year old reader; LJ
Edward Creter
A family of pioneers learn family values thru the art of quilt story-telling. This book is a beautiful celebration of quilts and art history and should be read by as many as possible.
I like to use this to talk about Quilt patters and westward expansion. Can compare with Apples to Oregon.
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-books
This story was so well written that when it ended, I wondered what happened next to the family.
Jul 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
We all enjoyed this book about a pioneer family's journey across the country. I liked the quilt aspect and history, and the boys liked the story. A win-win! :)
Ok, so for ME (Jake) at 5, I hard a hard time listening to and understanding this book. BUT it's a great story and a great introduction to the whole wagon train / adventure out west thing.
Jul 29, 2011
Mar 01, 2013
kelly lorenzen
Jan 03, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
When I was growing up in the small town of Rutherford, New Jersey, I was always called a tomboy. That was because I loved riding bikes, climbing trees, and playing baseball with the boys in the neighborhood. When I finally came inside, I had another name: bookworm. I was seldom seen without a book in my hand. In the summertime, I would go to the library and come back with as many books as I could ...more
More about Jean Van Leeuwen...