Start by marking “Manifold Destiny: The One! The Only! Guide to Cooking on Your Car Engine!” as Want to Read:
Manifold Destiny: The One! The Only! Guide to Cooking on Your Car Engine!

Manifold Destiny: The One! The Only! Guide to Cooking on Your Car Engine!

How many miles does it take to braise a fish fillet? Should you use your exhaust manifold or your valve cover for a pork tenderloin? Were Jaguars really designed with veal scallopini in mind?
        In the new revised and expanded Manifold Destiny, Chris Maynard and Bill Scheller, two experienced rally drivers--and cooks--answer these and any other questions you've got abo
Published August 4th 1998 by Villard (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Manifold Destiny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manifold Destiny

Extreme Ironing by Phil ShawWhat Bird Did That? by Peter HansardHow to Sharpen Pencils by David ReesToilet Paper Origami on a Roll by Linda  WrightHow to Survive a Garden Gnome Attack by Chuck Sambuchino
Oddities
16 books — 2 voters
Mastering the Art of Soviet Cooking by Anya von BremzenSlim And Healthy You by Sahara SandersFrench Women Don't Get Fat by Mireille GuilianoCrazy Dumplings by Amanda RobertsBest Recipes from Eastern Europe by Sahara Sanders
Unusual Cookbooks
137 books — 60 voters

More lists with this book...

Tracey
Sep 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of oddball topics dealt with seriously
I've had Manifold Destiny : The One The Only Guide to Cooking on Your Car Engine by Chris Maynard & Bill Scheller for several years & find myself returning to its tongue-in-cheek attitude every once in a while.

As explained in the subtitle - they do indeed provide detailed information on how to cook on your car engine. Inspired by a desire to keep a pound of pastrami hot while on a trip from Montreal back to Boston, Chris and Bill decided to experiment with preparing meals while on the ro
DeeDee
Jul 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not likely to read this cover to cover, but it DID give me the courage to Car B Q 4 lbs of chicken wings under the hood of my Jeep last weekend.
FYI, it takes 200 miles to do this. Trip back from Owasipee camp with my boys provided the excuse/opportunity.
Worked nicely for a first try, too.
Wonder when I'll have the courage (and the itinerary) to try a pork roast? heh

Trishtator
May 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food, own-it
These two northesterners wrote a fantastic book. The recipes are divided by U.S. regions, but I find the "western" recipes are a little off the mark. Where's the beef?? Still, the technique is excellent, and I'm excited for roadtripping!
S. Wilson
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
appetit
Barbara
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
With today's modern vehicles, the specifics of how to actually cook under the hook, are more difficult to achieve. The first edition of the book was a more amusing read, when it was relevant.
Deb
Jun 27, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: foodies like me
The recipes are okay, but the info on where you can put things atop your car engine is invaluable. The book mentioned this as being the #1 question, so I'll share the answer: No, your food won't taste like oil or exhaust.
Heather
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food, mine
love the tongue-in-cheek, mildly sarcastic prose between the instructions and recipes. plotting road trips so i can try the concept out! the recipes are straight forward and seem decent, nothing revolutionary except the cooking method.
O Babs
Jul 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
Originality: 5 stars
Execution, as in "are these really recipes that might work?": 4 stars
Silliness: 4 stars
Endurance: 3 stars; I don't miss the copy that has disappeared from my shelf. The memory of having read it is good.
Opportunity: edition for hybrid cars?
Sandy
Feb 05, 2013 rated it liked it
The title fascinated me so I had to read it. Unique and witty, real recipes to cook while driving are presented.
Darlene
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Cook time in miles.... awesome and reminiscent of growing up taking car trips.
Rob
Sep 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: miscellaneous
Plan to have baked 'salmon w lemons' when we visit Tahlequah in a couple weeks. Also identifying other road meals when we head to the coast in a month.... :)
Misfit
Mar 07, 2011 marked it as will-never-read  ·  review of another edition
Erm, amazing what you can find in products tagged Amazon oddities on a slow work day :D
George Driscoll