Start by marking “Einstein & The Art of Mindful Cycling: Achieving Balance in the Modern World” as Want to Read:
Einstein & The Art of Mindful Cycling: Achieving Balance in the Modern World

Einstein & The Art of Mindful Cycling: Achieving Balance in the Modern World

Einstein and the Art of Mindful Cycling shines new light onto one of the great scientific icons, and explores how pushing that pedal can nurture mindfulness in a spiritually stressful age. The author steers us through his own perspective on cycling - weaving together the philosophical, practical and personal into an elegant balance. Add in a sprinkling of meditative ...more
Published April 2nd 2018 by Leaping Hare Press (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Einstein & The Art of Mindful Cycling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Einstein & The Art of Mindful Cycling

Start your review of Einstein & The Art of Mindful Cycling: Achieving Balance in the Modern World
Joseph Spuckler
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy

Einstein & The Art of Mindful Cycling: Achieving Balance in the Modern World by Ben Irvine is a side by side look at the father of Relativity and the simplest machine used for travel. Irvine is a writer, publisher, campaigner, and recovered philosopher. He blogs for The School of Life, teaches philosophy to undergraduates at Cambridge University and is an Honorary Associate in the Philosophy department at Durham University.

As a reader of science who had a dose of philosophy in college and
Jason
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This little book is a veritable breath of fresh air in a stifled category.

Many books are written and marketed on a 'this will change your life' ticket. Dr Irvine's 'Mindful Cycling' makes no such trite promises, but conveys some much-needed simple and practical wisdom for refining one's lifestyle.

Taking Einstein as his role model, Irvine reveals to us the man behind the myth and shows, with references both scientific and personal, how such a remarkable human being's way of thinking was deeply
Airmid
Aug 13, 2016 added it
Shelves: 2016
Me encantó.
No es una novela, es un manifiesto a favor de la bicicleta. Habla de la historia de la bicicleta, de la experiencia personal del autor y como no, de Einstein.

He terminado con la sensación de que:
1. Voy a sacarle las telarañas a la bicicleta y volver a usarla.
2. Quiero leer una biografía de Albert Einstein, siempre me ha gustado mucho este personaje pero el libro me ha creado la necesidad de saber mucho más de el.

En definitiva, es una pequeña joya.
Karen
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved the book and realized that I have many of the same feelings and thoughts that Einstein had while riding his bike. Not the exact feelings but that while riding my bike I notice more things and become more creative when riding. It is more social to ride a bike around town and that makes you understand your surroundings more.
Juraj Holub
Touching read on the beauty of cycling and how it can help us see things in brighter light. At times, I felt like Ben was reading what is on my mind and heart when it comes to the emotions evoked by cycling.
Raegan Rinchiuso
I wanted this book to be better. I am an avid cyclist and I endeavor to be more mindful so this seemed like a great book for me to read. I enjoyed the parts about Einstein but the author doesn't really make the connection to mindfulness that he implies in the title. A lot of his statements about cycling are assumptions and not supported by facts. And honestly his writing isn't that good. I think he had a wonderful idea for a book but he just didn't quite hit the mark.
Bradley Gram-hansen
Dec 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Although the book is clearly written by one whom is more a philosopher than physicist . It is still an insightful and enjoyable book to read. Definitely one for all types of cyclists !
Kathy
Einstein & The Art of Mindful Cycling is a book that gave me pause multiple times. It appears to have multiple personalities/agendas: the history of bicycles; the physical and mental health benefits of cycling (both scientifically proven); and biographical and anecdotal information about Albert Einstein (perhaps because he enjoyed cycling). Say WHAT?!?!? What an odd combination...

I understand the joy of cycling, I really do. It takes you out into the world, gives you freedom, lets you
Dan Cohen
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
This is a peculiar little book. As the title suggests, it's a book on mindfulness, making connections with cycling and with Einstein. It is nicely written and moderately thought-provoking. I think the author makes rather too much of the mindfulness associated with cycling - I'm not saying that they cannot be associated as he states but there's only a partial match with my own experience. Generally it feels like the author has rose-coloured glasses when looking at cycling and Einstein.
Cherry Jeffs
May 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I wanted to love this book - and I certainly do love the beautiful binding and design - but in the end I lost the will to finish it. I’m a big fan of Einstein as I share his birthday but he wasn’t a saint and the folksy portrayal of his relationship to his wife and son are simplistic to say the least, and that ultimately put me off the book, much as I love the overall premise.
Wyley Conner
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was in absolute love with this book <3 I would recommend it to anyone and read it again myself.
LaViejaPiragua
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mindfulness
CÓMO PRACTICAR LA ATENCIÓN PLENA SOBRE UNA BICICLETA PARA ACERCARNOS A ALBERT EINSTEIN

Con "Einstein y el arte de montar en bicicleta" inauguraba la editorial Siruela "Tiempo de mirar", una colección dedicada a la meditación y a la atención plena que ya cuenta con cuatro títulos y que es tan atractiva y está tan bien editada, que lo primero que uno hace es precisamente dedicar un buen rato a mirar los libros en sí, con sus cubiertas de excelente calidad, como las de antes, y sus guardas
Jeff
Jan 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Philosophy lite, seasoned by mindful meditation on a bicycle. The only kvetch I have is the label "divorce machines" the author lays on tandems. Tandems are relationship enhancers. If it is rocky, they will hurry you back to singles. If it is solid, the transcendent experience of tandem riding will cement a relationship in to a solid partnership, going farther, faster and longer than either partner can on their own. My daughters and I spent many happy hours on the tandem, and I will always ...more
Suzammah
Jan 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
The few paragraphs about the invention of the bicycle were interesting, as was finding out that the bike is the most efficient way of moving:
A human unaided uses 0.75 calories per gram per kilometre, decent but not as efficient as a horse or a salmon. A human on a bike uses 0.15 calories per gram per kilometre. No other animal manages such efficiency and nor can any other machine; it is the equivalent of running 5,000km to the gallon. p. 50

The rest was just platitudes and nonsense.
Andy Matthews
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nice look at cycling and meditation as well as a great bit of history about Einstein.

I like the idea that cyclists aren't interested in material goods as he noted but a trip to Regents Park on a weekend would swiftly change his mind. Also measuring audax rides in miles not Km is a bit of a faux pax as they originate from France.

Overall an enjoyable look at how we can be a bit more at peace in the modern world through the use of our bicycles.
Catarina Gutierrez
Einstein has been top of mind for me lately. So when I found a book that combined his thoughts on bikes and mindful thinking, I scooped it up right away. It's a bit of a general read on the topic and I found myself wanting more. I also feel like I know Einstein on a deeper, different level now. Read if you like the guy and like bikes.
Ali Hysong
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I made the mistake of purchasing this under the impression that the title was a philosophical metaphor, which it clearly wasn't. However, the book served its purpose and was an easy and relatable read. I finished this in just a few hours and was able to jot down some good takeaway notes.
Melquíades
Lectura ligera, el autor utiliza a modo excusa la vida de Einstein para hablar de bicicletas, mostrando una forma de pensamiento que el autor relaciona con estas. En algunos extractos cae en el fanatismo bicicletero.
Gloria
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
mindful cycling has a simplistic approach to finding the smallest of experiences; an adventure in itself.

i would definitely recommend this book for the busier person who feel disconnected and rushed throughout the day.
Leon Chlon
Dec 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Probably my fault for assuming the "cycling" in the title was a metaphor for a more profound story. It's literally a book about bicycles, my most despised vehicle.
hellocarmel
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
A charming little book which rather earnestly extols the virtue of cycling as a meditative act, using Einstein as its exemplar.
Ana Valeria
Jan 04, 2015
Matt
Aug 23, 2015
Gabriela Saenz rojas
rated it did not like it
Jul 14, 2019

• Prognosis: A Memoir of My Brain
  • The Dark Side
  • The Boy Between Worlds
  • LA BELLEZA DEL UNIVERSO
  • Dark Matter and the Dinosaurs: The Astounding Interconnectedness of the Universe
  • Introducing Jung
  • What Jung Really Said
  • The Christmas Train
  • The Art Of Saying NO: How To Stand Your Ground, Reclaim Your Time And Energy, And Refuse To Be Taken For Granted (Without Feeling Guilty!)
  • The Greatest Story Ever Told—So Far: Why Are We Here?
  • Ishmael
  • Providence Act 1
  • Why Write?
  • On Bone Bridge
  • Will el del molino / La isla de las voces / Fábulas
  • Not Cinderella's Type (Modern Fairy Tales #1)
“Cuando te bajas de una bicicleta, siempre te sientes más despierto y sereno, más satisfecho y centrado que antes de haber montado en ella.” 0 likes