Start by marking “A Brief Guide to Star Trek” as Want to Read:
A Brief Guide to Star Trek

A Brief Guide to Star Trek

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  63 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
For over 40 years Star Trek has made a phenomenal cultural impact. Now more popular than ever - J.J. Abrams' reinvented Star Trek movie was one of the box office hits of 2009, grossing $385 million worldwide - the 'franchise' continues to have cultural, social and political resonance around the world.

Star Trek has changed not just the way we look at space but also our own
Published May 14th 2014 by Robinson Publishing (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Brief Guide to Star Trek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Brief Guide to Star Trek

Annette
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To be honest - I am a bit dissapointed by this book. Even though there is a lot of interessting information on who was involved in the ongoing Star Trek creative process and how the whole idea evolved, it leaves a very bitter aftertaste.
Yes, of course, the TV business is not all jolly and happy and the maker of a hero-show don't have to be heros themselves - but the whole tone of the book and its judgement on all Start Trek TV shows is quite hard. The only thing that seems to be good is the new
Jon Saul
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very forensic look at the history of ST especially production trivia and background. Critical of Gene Roddenberry's reputation as creator of every aspect of the franchise, and offers assesssment of why some spinoffs were more succesful than others.
James Bowker
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beam this one up, that's an order!

I was addicted to this book and couldn't put it down. If your a Trekkie, Trekker or just have a passing interest in the show which has impacted so many lives, this is a must read and a peak behind the curtain!
Mike
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and concise overwiev of clasic SF franchise.
Jemma
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is that rarest of things, a thoughtful history of science fiction. Naturally, there is the story of how Roddenberry created Star Trek but the contributions of many others, including D C Fontana and Gene L Coon, are detailed too. No longer will Star Trek seem one man's vision but a team effort, which makes more sense. Plus, this makes it easier to accept Roddenberry's flaws (e.g. womanising, embellishing the truth, needing adulation and latterly health problems) as he is not entirely to than ...more
Molly
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really, really do love Star Trek.

If you've ever seen my facebook or my twitter, it's made obvious, there are references everywhere. I was first properly hooked into the voyages of the Starship Enterprise in 2009, when J.J Abrams' reboot came about, and that was because 13 year old me had the BIGGEST crush on Chris Pine (not that anything has changed...).
And from then on, I was hooked. Star Trek's reboot was great, but the original series? Just wow. Everything about the Star Trek universe fasci
Alex Gregory
As far as Trek primers go, you could do a hell of a lot worse than this.

Brian Robb's "A Brief Guide to Star Trek" is a short, breezy read that takes you through the various stages of Trek's lifecycle, encompassing short chapters on each of the series, Gene Roddenberry's life and career beyond the series, the various film series and a summary at the end.

There's some good information here, albeit in a tone that assumes readers want to get into the minutiae of why certain actors hated starring in t
Dave
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice one. Not a pandering fan or studio-based thing cataloging the franchise with pretty pictures, and glorifying it with constant praise, but an honest to goodness (mostly honest) look at the background creation and the varying reception of each series and the films, and the reasons for the rise and fall in quality of the franchise over time.

Really appreciated the unwillingness to present Roddenberry as an all powerful deity responsible for the best of Trek, this book acknowledges his initial
Sho
This was 99cents as a Kindle Deal of the Day so in trying it I didn't think I had anything to lose.

Now I like Star Trek. Probably a lot more than the next person. But not enough to call myself a real Trekkie, although I do know the odd-even rule of Star Trek - Original Cast - films*. Funnily enough for a book written by someone who is very clearly a fan not only of Star Trek but also of the trivia that surrounds it, this rule didn't get a mention.

The book is nicely laid out with a section (chapt
Tara van Beurden
I started watching Star Trek as a child – both my parents had watched it growing up, and for us, watching Star Trek was as normal (or not more) as watching a Disney movie. Personally, I’ve always preferred Voyager, the story of a lost star ship trying to find its way home to Earth. I’m not sure if it was this ongoing undercurrent storyline or the fact that Voyager had a female captain that I loved most, but nonetheless, it was (and still is) my favourite, despite all its flaws. This book goes ba ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
12042
Brian J. Robb is the New York Times and Sunday Times bestselling biographer of Leonardo DiCaprio, Johnny Depp, and Brad Pitt. He has also written books on silent cinema, the films of Philip K. Dick, Wes Craven, and Laurel and Hardy, the Star Wars movies, Superheroes, Gangsters, and Walt Disney, as well as science fiction television series Doctor Who and Star Trek. His illustrated books include an ...more
More about Brian J. Robb...