Start by marking “Wake (Wake, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wake (Wake, #1)

Wake (Wake #1)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  74,076 Ratings  ·  5,353 Reviews
For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.

She can't tell anybody about what she does they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe
Published March 4th 2008 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Wake, please sign up.
Brianna not good at all. just save yourself the time and read something else, either by her or by someone else.

Kristi
Jul 25, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya, fantasy, major-letdown, ugh
I picked this one up because the premise sounded so intriguing, but ultimately I thought it was pretty disappointing. The third-person present tense narration really got on my nerves after a while, and the story was told so choppily that I found it hard to really get involved. Not to mention the ridiculous twist towards the end (Spoiler: Her formerly-goth-loser-but-now-suddenly-hot classmate with crazy nightmares turns out to be an undercover cop pretending to be a dealer in order to bust a huge ...more
Tatiana
Apr 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, ya, 2010, urban-fantasy, 2012

A surprisingly good YA book, a perfect mix of romance, paranormal, and mystery. The writing style is peculiar and won't be everyone's cup of tea. It definitely takes some time to get used to it. But once you get over the present tense 3rd person narration and choppiness, you realize this style actually makes the book more intense and fast moving. The love story is equally powerful and touching and certainly differs from your standard paranormal romance formula. Lastly, kudos to Lisa McM
Morgan F
I do not understand this book.
I do not understand the writing style.
I do not understand the plot.
And I sure as hell do not understand the appeal.

Everything about this book was choppy, weird, and over in a blink of an eye. Come to think of it, it was reminiscent of a dream, the foggy kind you forget immediately upon waking.

The writing was unnecessarily blunt and in the 3rd person, both of which I consider poor writing decisions. I felt alienated from the story, and I never understood who was
Karin
Mar 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Janie gets sucked into other people’s dreams. She tries to stop it, but can’t resist the overwhelming pull. She first noticed it happening when she was eight-years-old. Janie has witnessed everything from the typical falling dream and standing naked in front of a crowd dream to World War II battle dreams. Most of the time she is just an observer. Even if the dreamers ask for her help, she can’t manage to do anything.

Janie’s life has been hindered by this "curse." She found out early that sleepov
Kat Kennedy
Feb 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is short, sweet and simple.

I think it's the simpleness of the story that gives it the most charm. There are no intricate or twisted plots. Nor is than any great climatic action to this story.

It is a gradual growing of a girl and a boy as they learn to deal with an unusual psychic ability together and face their nightmares.

There isn't much to say about this book. There isn't much plot or pacing to speak of though it doesn't drag on. It's hard for this book to drag on because there simp
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
I've read countless YA novels in this past year, but Wake is by far my favorite. To be perfectly honest, it's not the story that I like so much - it's very interesting and well thought out, but it was the writing that blew me away. In her review, Tatiana called McMann's writing style flawless, and I must admit I was very intrigued by her choice of words at the time. I understand now exactly what she meant. Wake has a steady rhythm that you can almost feel in your bones while reading. It’s very h ...more
Tabby
Jun 08, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobook
THE REVIEW

Why this book?

It seemed interesting

What I thought

WTF did I just read this book is freakin weird!!! It's like a sequence of dreams with a little plot that's it!! The only reason I finished it was because I was curious to see if it changed. It so didn't and i'm so not reading the sequel, yeah it's so bad i'm not even giving it a chance.
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
1 Star

Overall:

Oh… this was bad.

I already had low expectations, because it was a random cover buy, but it surpassed them?. The plot seemed so interesting… but the writing was so choppy. The characters were underdeveloped and there wasn't even a plot… it was just bad.

Pros:

Uh… it’s a really cool plot idea? I enjoyed the incorporation of lucid dreaming.
I liked the first few pages? The character of Janie seemed interesting before I realized she was never expanded upon?

Cons:

Everything else. I’m
Heather
Mar 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009, 2012
First read in February of 2009, Wake is one of those rare gems that I keep coming back to. In spite of the later ruin of the series, truly Gone was atrocious, Wake still possesses some element of reading magic for me. I suppose it doesn’t hurt that it only takes two hours to read either. Quick read status or no, Wake can boast of containing not one, but two fantastically imperfect characters, a unique and heart breaking supernatural element, and a mystery that never dulls, even after multiple re ...more
Flannery
Before I start this one, just know that I LIKED IT. I don't love it as much as many of my Goodreads friends but this could be because I started out listening to this and finished the last 30-40 pages in book form. I'm glad I did so because I can say that I liked this book loads more in audio format. I'm fairly sure the writing style just wasn't doing it for me.

You know when you are trying to write a paper for school and you are a couple pages short? You start playing around with the margins, cha
William
The light, spare prose in Wake takes getting used to, and while compulsively readable, doesn’t always match up to the weight if its subject matter, or the potential gravity in some of its characters. But Wake does create something different: a mix between the fantastic-premise-meets-teen set-up of books like Twilight, and plot devices that will gather fans of Sixth Sense and Ghost Whisperer. However critical you want to be, there is no getting around that where Wake improves over similar books i ...more
Emily May
May 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, pnr, 2011
I best get this review out of the way before I start the second book in the series: Fade. In short, the story is about Janie, a girl who finds herself dragged into the dreams of those sleeping around her - a big problem, as you can imagine, in the majority of high school classes. With no idea why she has this strange ability, Janie begins to discover that, not only can she see the dreams happening, she can also interfere and change what happens.

I really liked the story and, surprisingly for a yo
Apr 30, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I think I'm too old for this young adult book. I just didn't like the abrupt sentence structure and simplistic thought process of the characters. To me, it just isn't well written and the characters aren't bright. Janie is seventeen and has been dealing with getting into other people's dreams for years. She hates it, can't control it, and wonders how she will ever survive. Oh, and then the boy Cabel comes along. He's trouble (maybe) and Janie does the typical teenage angst thing by liking him, g ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Randstostipher "tallnlankyrn" Nguyen for TeensReadToo.com

Dreams can usually be categorized as our source of entertainment while we are sleeping. Although we sometimes may not remember them, they often take us on a journey that we may (or may not) want to happen. For Janie Hannagan, though, dreams are her worst nightmares.

Not like any other normal teenage girl, Janie witnesses the dreams that anyone within close proximity is dreaming. Of course, she doesn't really want this to happen
Tijana
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book went from random, confusing and pointless to freaking epic and intriguing, just to end up as a huge predictable cliche that 10 year olds could find highly enjoyable.

Nothing else to add, your honor.
I rest my case.
Mary Lynn
Mar 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally picked this book up at Barnes and Noble last night and once I started reading I couldn't put it down. Well, okay, I slept for awhile last night, but I didn't sleep very well, actually, and I had some really odd dreams... Just finished the book. I haven't been that totally consumed by a book, YA or not, in a really long time. Loved it!!

Highly recommend this book for anyone who likes fast-paced, well-written, and extremely original young adult fiction.

Lisa McMann is definitely a talent to
Tammie
Mar 29, 2010 rated it did not like it
I liked the idea behind the story okay, but there were more F words in this YA book than any of the adult novels I've read. It just wasn't necessary. This book contained a lot of content that just wasn't appropriate for teen readers. I'm also not a huge fan of the writing format. I'm not sure if it wasn't just to cover up the fact that maybe the writer isn't all that good at writing.
Cory
Nov 24, 2010 rated it it was ok
I wonder why I keep doing this to myself. I could be doing Calculus homework. I could be writing my novel. Instead, I devote my time to reading badly written YA fantasy. Perhaps I just like to procrastinate.

I wish these authors would quit being so crafty. It's like they only focus on the first few pages of their books. Conveniently, those first few pages are the ones that show up on the book previews.

Luckily, I didn't have very high expectations for Wake. It was just sitting on my desktop and I
Temi Panayotova
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Добре признавам - началото на историята беше доста нескопосано написано. Но след това всъщност историята става не само интересна, но и с доста голям потенциал за развитие в другите 2 части - довечера започвам 2-рата - четат се за няколко часа - доста отпускащо. :)
Colleen Houck
This book was a very interesting read. The format was different than usual and I liked that. I enjoyed the surprise with the hero at the end. I can't imagine being stuck with a super power like that one. It would be so hard to deal with. If you're a fan of Insomnia by J.R. Johansson, then check this one out.
Anthi
Nov 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Jaine has a gift! Or rather a curse!! She can watch other people's dreams, if anyone in her proximity is dreaming, she get's sucked in his dream, she can't avoided it. And then she meets Campel and realises that not only she can watch his dreams but participate in them.
The experience of reading this novel whould be safe to say that can only be compared with a thrilling and scary ride on a VERY fast rollercoaster (and this comes from someone who absolutely LOVES rollercoasters)! This is probably
Abida's Book Adventures
Jan 14, 2014 rated it did not like it

If I were able able to describe this book two words, it would be; Dull & Boring. I was expecting this book being full of adventure and crazing mental drama. Instead I read a book with great characters but had a horrible plot. Honestly this could have been so much better if there were some action and real drama happening in this book

When I finished the book I didn't even realized that reached the climax. The book felt so incomplete. Like the height of this book was so stupid and pointless. W

Kristi
Jul 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
What an enthralling story! I can’t wait for the rest of this series! I’d heard good things about Wake and I wasn’t disappointed at all!

Janie has a gift, although it seems to be more of a curse. She can visit people in their dreams, well actually she is sucked into peoples dreams, and it is rather impossible to escape. She fist discovers her talent at the age of eight, but doesn’t realize the magnitude of her ability until she is older.

Janie grew up in Fieldridge, Michigan. Her mother is an alcoh
Chichipio
Mar 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Hmmm… this probably shouldn't be a review but "private notes" since it's mostly some semi-random thoughts thrown together. But I'm trying to be a good scout and leave at least "some" impressions in every review so when I come back a year later, I can remember the reasons for my rating.

I can't give this book more than 3 stars because I found it too short. I don't know about the rest of the trilogy but this definitely reads as part of one. The plot wasn't about anything spectacular and there's not
Kristy
May 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kristy by: Arlene Sweet
This would technically get 4.5 stars...I am bouncing back and forth between giving it five..... oh man, feel the presure....
This book was so good. It was devoured in 1 day, 1 sitting at that.

Janie is a dream hopper, not her own, but everyone else's. No explanation, no rhyme or reason, she just is. It is beginning to take over her life and frigthen her... but, she realizes that she can help the dreamer. I don't know what to say without giving away too many details, but w-o-w!
I am super stoaked t
Espe
Apr 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sueña, es un libro sin grandes pretensiones, corto y de fácil lectura. Un volumen que se lee enseguida y que consigue engancharte de forma inmediata.
Desde luego cuenta con una trama original, innovadora y diferente, que despierta curiosidad. ¿Quién no ha querido saber alguna vez lo que sueñan los demás?, el mundo de los sueños es bastante desconocido, pero con Janie descubriremos que los sueños pueden llegar a ser terribles.

Una de las peores cosas de la novela es la narración. Escrito en forma d
TheKBSeries
May 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone looking for a beautiful love story backed up with an intriguing plot
Shelves: favorite-books
I found this book at Barnes and Noble months before it was supposed to be published!!

It was hilarious! I was just looking through the YA section and found this book. It looked so good! I regret that I didn't try to buy it that day. Gosh! Anywho, I went home to found out more information about the book and author and found out that it hadn't been published yet! Yet, I found it at Barnes and Noble! I really really regret not buying it that day!! Geez! That would have been cool!

I emailed Lisa tell
Kristina
Jun 01, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Не мога да повярвам колко тъпа и отвратително написана беше тази книга ...

Все се надявах, че нещо ще стане, ама не :/ Кой, за Бога, би публикувал такова нещо.
Tan Markovic
May 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This dystopian novel has been on my TBR for as long as I can remember.

I've been in a massive reading slump lately and needed a relatively short novel to pull me back out of it and I definitely think this was perfect for it.

The concept of the story is definitely what drew me in and I think the author executed it very well.
Was definitely a little hard to keep track at first as to where things were happening in reality or the Janie's dreams or other peoples dreams....however it was quickly cleared
Michael
Mar 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
What if you had the ability to enter into other people's dreams? One first glance, it seems like it might be a pretty cool little power and insight into your friends and family.

And while having this ability may seem cool to Janie Hannagan at first, we quickly find that it's more a burden. Janie is constantly aware of being sucked into people's dreams becuase in doing so, she falls asleep as well. Couple that with the dreamer potentially realizing Janie is there and has seen some subconsious desi
What was your weirdest, scariest,or funniest dream? 67 583 May 24, 2018 05:35PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Wake Series By Lisa McMann - Restarting January 23rd 2018 27 88 Jan 02, 2018 02:43AM
November Reading Assigment 2 3 Dec 11, 2017 08:27AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Dreamcatcher Series by Lisa McMann - Reading 'Wake' from April 15 2016 41 25 Apr 26, 2016 10:06PM
Was this enough 1 6 Feb 27, 2015 10:49AM
Yay or Nay? 39 163 Dec 18, 2014 05:11PM
  • Deadly Little Lies (Touch, #2)
  • The Body Finder (The Body Finder, #1)
  • The Devouring (The Devouring, #1)
  • The Dead-Tossed Waves (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #2)
  • Dead Is So Last Year (Dead Is, #3)
  • Kissed by an Angel/The Power of Love/Soulmates (Kissed by an Angel, #1-3)
  • My Soul to Save (Soul Screamers, #2)
  • Infinite Days (Vampire Queen, #1)
  • Shade (Shade, #1)
  • Sleepless
  • The Hollow (The Hollow, #1)
  • The Dark Divine (The Dark Divine, #1)
  • Meridian (Fenestra, #1)
  • Intrinsical (The Yara Silva Trilogy, #1)
  • Echoes (Fingerprints, #1-3)
  • Strange Angels (Strange Angels, #1)
  • Hero-Type
  • Nightshade (Nightshade #1; Nightshade World #4)
Lisa McMann lives and writes in the Phoenix area. Her books include the NYT bestselling THE UNWANTEDS series (the new UNWANTEDS QUESTS series begins Feb 7, 2017) and the YA paranormal WAKE trilogy. Other books include the VISIONS trilogy, CRYER'S CROSS, DEAD TO YOU, INFINITY RING: The Trap Door, and the GOING WILD trilogy (book 2 coming autumn 2017).

You can find more info at Lisa'a website, lisamc

Wake (3 books)
  • Fade (Wake, #2)
  • Gone (Wake, #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Royal Ranger (Ranger's Apprentice, #12)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • I Hate Everyone But You
  • Love and Other Unknown Variables
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
  • A Messy, Beautiful Life
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
“That was the goth stage, where I decided I'd never get the girl of my dreams because of my scars. Not to mention my hairstyle. (pause) But then she slammed a door handle into my gut. And when a girl does that to a boy, it means she likes him.” 286 likes
“Dreams aren't memories," he says.” 163 likes